Literally 2 fucking minutes of staring at a black screen with what sounds like a dying hippo in the background

>literally 2 fucking minutes of staring at a black screen with what sounds like a dying hippo in the background
>next minute and a half is staring at absolutely FASCINATING savannah shots
>The next eleven minutes are occupied with the grunting monkeys, monolith influences evolution look at how deep we are HAHA

The amount of nonsense that you're spewing is proof that it has worked as a piece of art.

Thanks.
You've inspired me to watch this once more.

fuck off confused matthew you plot fag

>it's another capeshitter tries to watch a masterpiece and is confused episode
>it's the 500th episode this season
please make this end

I might watch this tomorrow, I still haven't seen it

>Hey Sup Forums I can't watch anything that doesn't involve Vin Diesel driving a pickup truck into a zeppelin, or Robert Downey Jr. spouting nihilistic quips while shooting missiles at aliens. What do I tell my doctor to get my Ritalin dosage upped? Thanks

Honestly if you cut off the first and last scenes of this film I'd like it a lot more.

>inb4 you jus don unnerstand!
I got it. It just wasn't as enjoyable for me as HAL was.

It will test your patience but stick with it and you'll be rewarded with a really good experience.

>masterpiece
>piece of art

It's a movie and not even the best of its kind. Kubrick was a talented director who made smart movies for dumb people, and it's easy accessibility made the legend bigger than the thing itself.

OP may be baiting, but he is essentially right. 2001 is bloated with unnecessary scenes and an exaggeration of allegories, clearly so the mass audience may perceive its intent. For those used to cinema, it's dragged out and often repetitive.

All things considered, we must recognize Kubrick's skills. His ability to translate book into film and then make the film accessible for the laymen is second to none. The themes, even with their issues, are vastly preserved.

20 years ago people lamented that MTV was the "flashy things network", defining very quick cuts to keep the younger generation's eyes glued, rather than producing real content.

I can't even comprehend the intellectual vapidity of their fucking kids who get bored without it.

>His ability to translate book into film
Clarke wrote the book in tandem with the script. With the exception of the location changing from saturn to jupiter (because they couldn't get the rings right) they're identical. The book obviously uses the format to offer a lot of exposition thats portrayed visually in the book.

I watched this movie and liked what it does with sound and pictures but i didnt really understand it.
Like what does the monolith even represent?
What makes Kubrick think there was some outside influence in human evolution that also changed behavior in such a drastic way? Even more puzzling that it changes from something like peaceful coexistence to violent obliteration.
Why choose that kind of style for the room and whats up with that rebirth thing?

This is nothing. You're saying nothing of substance, at all. "You see it was actually bad, but it was good of course and we must recognize his skills in making the good thing bad in a good way". The book and the script were a collaborative process you fucking mongaloid, Clarke even rewrote parts to match the dailys he was getting.

>Like what does the monolith even represent?
Its a space probe sent out by a transcendental race of beings to find intelligent life to guide and uplift it.
It also has the same dimensions as a movie screen turned on its side.

Seriously I'd suggest reading the book, assuming you're not memeing, it explains a lot of what is going inside of the characters' heads.

>grunting monkeys

Kubrick actually wanted naked people instead of monkeys :(

blasted N-17 ratings.

Not memeing. I will add the book jto my list.
Any way to pull that kind of information from the film though?

This isn't going well for you

>literally 2 fucking minutes of staring at a black screen with what sounds like a dying hippo in the background
You sat there for 2 fucking minutes and you didn't even realize what you were watching?

You are interpreting an artistic movie in a literal way, it wont work. The monolith doesnt mean kubrick thinks an outside influence is involved in evolution, its just a symbol for evolution. Every time the monolith is present, humanity evolves to a new level. First with the primitive homo species learning to use tools, then on the moon again its a symbol of human evolution into a space traveling species. The end is again a symbolic representation, this time of humanity's hypothetical next level of evolution into a transcendent species.

Only the middle part with the two astronauts and HAL 9000 follows a standard story telling narrative.

>Any way to pull that kind of information from the film though?
Some of it, sure. But its not direct exposition, its informed visually
Like the monolith turned monkeys into tool users and put them on the path to modern humanity. That badass match cut of the bone going up and turning into the space station is saying that the simplest tool of a bone was the first step towards technology.
They find the monolith on the moon that shoots a signal to jupiter space, so they go to investigate and find the star gate monolith where Bowman goes through and is put into an alien zoo to help him transition to the space baby, showing that humanity is still in its infancy of an even greater life cycle.
The sequels also build on a lot of the mystery established in the original, though they focus more on mankinds exploration of the solar system, and eventually to them growing beyond the need for external guidance.

>Like what does the monolith even represent?
why don't you think for even two seconds. literally any answer you give that comes from the film would be correct
>it represents the end of the monkeys
>it represents discovering things in space
>maybe these things are related

>it's another autistic 12 year old who can only understand movies if they're explained through quips and one-liners by the Mary Sue protagonists and a pathetic super good versus super evil dichotomy
>unsurprisingly cannot grasp symbolism and visual explanation of plot

Shouldn't you go back to r/StarWars little boy? You need to be 18+ to be on Sup Forums.

Its clearly a symbol of evolution. Whether its sent by an actual species or is just an artistic symbolisation should be up to the viewer to decide, both interpretations work.

The monolith is a fucking von neumann machine, it was there to give intelligent life a little push and watch what happens until it either transcends or fucks up. The monoliths are also programmed to destroy life if deemed unworthy.

It's all in the books.

2001: A SCREEN SAVER