Best/Favorite Michael Mann movies? I just recently watched Blackhat and Collateral...

Best/Favorite Michael Mann movies? I just recently watched Blackhat and Collateral. Collateral was awesome Blackhat was pretty good; What other Mann films are worth watching?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/o-VnDcs3pnU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

In order of how much I enjoyed them:

1995 Heat
2004 Collateral
1986 Manhunter
1981 Thief
1999 The Insider
2001 Ali
1992 The Last of the Mohicans
2006 Miami Vice
2009 Public Enemies
2015 Blackhat

Haven't seen:
1983 The Keep

The Insider is a superior film. Much better than American Beauty (both films were nominated for Best Picture back in 2000; AB won).

I dislike this list. Miami Vice is ok at best.
>inb4 underappreciated kino or some shit
Public Enemies at number two and ahead of Collateral? What the fuck?

I have to say I don't like Collateral very much, mostly due to the dumb plot. Maybe I'll get over it one day, because I want to like it.

The first three on the list are all masterpieces, IMO, with MV and PE being about equal. Also, I would now put Thief below The Keep, after a recent re-watch where I found it dull. I think all the movies on the list at least have some value as cinema, except for L.A. Takedown, which just looks like cheap TV.

Also, add the Luck pilot in the top five, which is great and Mann's best TV directing work.

I've noticed that Mann movies can tend to look like cheap TV every now and again. I think it's just the style of his filming or the camera used? maybe it's just me I'm not sure.

I think it's just you. L.A. Takedown was filmed in two weeks as a TV pilot, and that's exactly what it looks like.

Manhunter is his best

It's weird how little people talk about Mohicans when discussing Mann.

I remember it as kind of a boring period drama but after rewatching it recently it actually fits perfectly in his cinematography from a thematic standpoint.

It's also a really good script, which isn't something Mann movies have had since The Insider I feel.

The Insider is a very good movie indeed.

Agreed, The Insider is pure kino

Holy fucking shit I didn't know Sup Forums was a place for retards. Thief is his best film by a landslide, everything else is really just average, except Collateral is okay.

Is average or okay better?

>everything else is just average

you deserve to get beaten to a pulp for saying this with so much arrogance

The Insider is his best film. There arent enough gun fights to keep you entertained though.

Then Thief and Manhunter.

Correct. The Insider is an excellent film

I always knew, that's why you are here for example.

>everything else is really just average
I'm very sure you haven't watched Mann's filmography to say this kind of plebbism

nah, Insider is a great film, but American Beauty is fucking amazing. Watch it high, or at least ater a few glasses of red wine, and you'll be blown away by how well the score works with the cinematography

wtf? thief was kinda boring. Heat is his best film, then clear daylight, then any of his other films

Heat is a fucking masterpeice

my nigga

i liked thief a lot but heat is a masterpiece desu

He was one of the first big directors to use digital cameras to film major parts of his movies. That's why collateral and Miami vice have parts where it looks "cheap",I believe it allowed him to film at night with minimal lighting. Some of it also may be his style

Alot of his movies are on demand right now so I've been marothoning through them. Still haven't seen his newer stuff like blackhat or public enemies, never really heard anything good about them, but probably will give them a try. Best for me probably are Heat and manhunter. Has anyone seen the tv movie that he made that heat was based off? Is that worth a watch?

Manhunter is his best by a mile.
youtu.be/o-VnDcs3pnU

Blackhat was absolute trash.

Heat is great. Pic related is great too. Miami Vice I liked even though most didn't