Do Mexicans like their Aztec heritage/history or do they disregard it and only focus on the European one?

Do Mexicans like their Aztec heritage/history or do they disregard it and only focus on the European one?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesoamerican_writing_systems
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Templo_Mayor#Museum
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Museum_of_Anthropology_(Mexico)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nezahualcoyotl_(tlatoani)
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15922121
sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0306987705001295
albany.edu/pdlma/Nawa.pdf
gutenberg.cc/articles/eng/Nahuas
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

mama milk, giv!

We usually focus on both the Aztec and the Romans but youngster nowadays don't like neither

You are Italian though, you can deceive me by having an eagle at least.

If they are mixed, the lighter skin or white ones, like, the european side, some of them add the "d" at the end of some word like spain, and frankly they sound ridiculous.
The brown ones like/love the mayan or aztec culture, and are very nationalist.

Aztec history isn't that old tbqh, they were just the most recent hegemony in Mesoamerica; before them, there were already abandoned cities thousands of years old when they arrived to Mexico City (then the Lake of Texcoco, later turned into Tenochtitlan), and created their empire really quickly. Besides, when Spaniards conquered them, Spaniards destroyed a great deal of the written records they had of their own history, so we don't know everything thanks to that.
So yeah, we study them in history classes, but at least of what I can remember, we only saw the myth of their journey from Aztlan to the Valley of Mexico guided by their god of war "Huitzilopochtli", their way of living (calpullis, altepetl, telpchcalli, calmecacs, milpas, etc), the flower wars, and lastly, the conquest period

We focus more on the European side of history simply because Aztec one didn't last that long (93 years), compared to 300 years of New Spain + 200 years of Mexico, and because their records were destroyed.

Interesting. I didn't know that they had much writing. Was it Logograms or an Alphabet?

Mayans had a complete syllabary that used pictograms for style. They also had paper books that were treatises on math, astronomy, religion, and history. All but 3 fragments of those books were destroyed by the Spanish, because heresy.

>tfw japan hasn't animed Chinese gods
I want a big titted Guan Yu

Other civilizations in Mesoamerica developed written systems, particurally the Mayans
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesoamerican_writing_systems
But Aztecs had more of a semasiographic writing system.

I know about Mayans, they even had numeral system.
But I don't know much about the Aztecs.

I've always been interested in the Aztecs. Is it worth visiting Mexico City to learn more about their history? Obviously there are other interesting things I could do while vacationing in Mexico City, but learning more about Aztec stuff would be my main reason for choosing to go there instead of somewhere else.

Their alphabet looks more drawing based, probably because they didn't need alphabet much when they were in the north and they couldn't adapt to it (correct me if I'm wrong).

not really if you just want to know about the aztecs, the national museum of anthropology is worthy tho

gib big dragon-goddess milkers

There's are some ruins being excavated in the historic centre, since Tenochtitlan was completelly destroyed and Mexico City was built on top of it. There is a museum about it + the National Museum of Anthropology (our most renowned museum)
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Templo_Mayor#Museum
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Museum_of_Anthropology_(Mexico)
+ Some other ruins inside the city called Tlatelolco, some remaining aqueducts here and there in a place called chapultepec, and aztec-style canals in the south of the city, called Xochimilco.

But desu, there isn't that much.

Yeah, their written system was pretty basic, even more so than other Mesoamerican peoples. I don't know much about it myself, desu.

I know that this guy, the ruler of the City-State of "Texcoco" was considered a poet, however.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nezahualcoyotl_(tlatoani)

Aztecs a shit, Teotihuacan is where its at.

I always thought latinos felt closer to Spanish culture than the old local cultures

We don't even know who built Teotihuacan, the city was already in ruins and abandoned when the Aztecs arrived. Teotihuacan ("the place where the gods were born") is a nahuatl name because that's how the Aztecs called the place, so that isn't the original name of the city either.

>Do Mexicans like their Aztec heritage/history or do they disregard it and only focus on the European one?
no one cares

because we are unfortunately
at least it's only cultural

ay mami que enormes sheshes

They larp as Aztecs and ask for their gold back but say shit like "I don't look like your stereotypical indian looking mestizo" all the time.

>We don't even know who built Teotihuacan
Most likely aliens

>They larp as Aztecs
"No"

also this
cucked to sweden tier

And the thread is ruined

Nationalists love the Aztecs because they are the "glorious past".

don't mind me cuck
keep lusting for your masters' women

>Destroyed, not brought into the Vatican archives
Somebody was doing something wrong.

qt

this
the retards want o compare pic related

to the actual glorious mexican past

>some of them add the "d" at the end of some word like spain
So do Mexicans usually say "universida" instead of "universidad"?

No

Weren't the Aztecs not anywhere near a majority? I was under the impression that the Aztecs were Tributary Empire and they were surrounded by numerous other tribes who had been subjugated but outnumbered the Aztecs whose direct rule really was only in the Valley of Mexico.

What I'm saying is that, for a vast majority of people in Mexico, wouldn't saying muh Aztecs like a Comanche Amerindian saying WE WUZ SIOUX N SHIT?

There were 25 million people in the Aztec empire, by far the largest concentration of humans in the Western hemisphere, the overwhelming majority of those were Aztecs, Nahua peoples like Mexicah, Alcolhua, Tecpanec, Atzcatzapolca, etc. Even the Tlaxcaltecs and Totonacs who fought with Cortés were Nahuas, Aztecs were not exclussively Mexicah anymore than Greeks were exclussively Spartan or Athenian and Mexicah did survive in some very large numbers, not just in Tenochtitlán but in other cities like Tlateloloco. These giant population nuclei, about half survived the epidemics, was used to conquer other places, like Guatemala, settle other lands, like the Bajío, and was mixed with the other Mesoamerican nations like the Tarascans, Huastecs, Zapotecs, Mixtec and Puuc Maya, Mexican mestizos overwhelmingly originate in these peoples of Central Mexico.

>the Aztecs were Tributary Empire and they were surrounded by numerous other tribes

didn't mean the rest were just ooga boogas only providing tribute

people never refer to the italian city states as tribes even if they were under spanish rule during the renaissance ffs

>"On their route they passed through three provinces, that, according to the report of the Spaniards, contained very fine land, many villages and cities, with much scattered population, and buildings equal to any in Spain. They mentioned particularly a house and castle, the latter larger, of greater strength, and better built than the castle of Burgos (the castle of the kings of Spain); and the people of one of these provinces, called Tamazulapa, were better clothed than those of any other we had seen, as it justly appeared to them."
- Cortes second letter of relation to Charles V

>Our route now lay across the territory of the township Xocotlan. We sent before us two Indians of Sempoalla to the cazique, to acquaint him of our approach, and beg of him to give us an hospitable reception. As the inhabitants of this district were subject to Motecusuma, everything wore a different aspect, and we marched forward with the utmost precaution and in close array. For the rest, we were as much pleased with this spot as with many a Spanish town, on account of the numerous and beautifully whitewashed balconies, the dwellings of the caziques, and the elevated temples wholly built of stone and lime. We, therefore, called it Castilblanco, which name it still retains; for a Portuguese soldier, who was among our troops, assured us, the place was very like the town of Casteloblanco in Portugal.
Bernal díaz del Castillo, True History of the Conquest of New Spain Chapter LXXXVII and LXI

William H. Prescott.

Really good author. I wasn't even interested in Mexico/Aztec history lol, I just didn't mind because he wrote so well on the topic..

>There were 25 million people in the Aztec empire
source

>Totonacs who fought with Cortés were Nahuas
source

>These giant population nuclei, about half survived the epidemics
source

>and was mixed with the other Mesoamerican nations like the Tarascans
source

>Mexican mestizos overwhelmingly originate in these peoples of Central Mexico
and source

>These giant population nuclei, about half survived the epidemics.

Their fault for social engineering a degeneracy... It's the start of every internal collapse - the inability to adapt - the standardisation process... sigh. Mankind never learns.. everywhere where man has shaped development of nature into ideals of perfection.. such horrors of the world are begotten..

>Their fault for social engineering a degeneracy
no idea where's the copy pasta from, but i'm gonna agree on race mixing equaling doom and leave this list here

diseases from the new world introduced to the old world:
- a bed bug infection
- syphilis (disputed)

diseases from the old world introduced to the new world:
- bubonic plague
- chicken pox
- cholera
- diphtheria
- influenza
- leprosy
- malaria
- measles
- scarlet fever
- smallpox
- typhoid
- typhus
- whooping cough
- yaws
- yellow fever

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15922121
sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0306987705001295

You can open the full article with sci-hub. Populations estimates widely range between 10 and 30 million depending on how big of an impact you consider that the epidemics had, (between 25%-90% of the population wiped out).

Totonac
albany.edu/pdlma/Nawa.pdf

gutenberg.cc/articles/eng/Nahuas
>Nahua forces often formed the bulk of the Spanish military expeditions that conquered other Mesoamerican peoples, such as the Maya, Zapotecs and Mixtecs

Why would I be proud of it if I don't have nahuatl heritage?

I do find precolombine history pretty fascinating, but not in a "muh ancestors" kind of way.

Anyone who tells you we are "sons of Tenochtitlán" is deluded and blinded by so called nationalistic pride. It similar when french claim that Vercingetorix is some kind of patris patriae.

The Mexican state has more roots in the Spanish than in their indigenous counterparts.

The only ones who can claim that heritage are the indigenous populations that are still living in the country.

legit nothing in there supports your statements

It's pretty simple. America belongs to Amerindians the same as europe belongs to europeans.

This
It was a mistake to colonizing their area, we should've only focus to teach them how to catch up with the rest of the world

This is factually wrong tho, we know the name of all Aztec tlatoani and what each accomplished according to Aztec records, there is literally a ton of material on their civilization. We skip over more the Colonial period than the pre-Columbian one, your average Mexican can rarely name a single viceroy.

Also as for "more recent hegemony" is is the base of our identity right or wrong.

Tfw no Amerindian bf

>The only ones who can claim that heritage are the indigenous populations
So mestizos are not entitled to their Amerindian identity? That's a load of crap

All of them caught up until eurangutans spread their pestilence killing 90% of them for 4 centuries before they started replacing Amerindians.