Discuss gaspar noe

edgy provacateur or daring innovator?

pic related, his masterpiece

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/V8BOBEZL9sk
youtube.com/watch?v=V8BOBEZL9sk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

DUDE ACID LMAOOOO

Both. His stuff is interesting to say the least, though very rarely good.

only normies get triggered by his stuff, he's a genius

DUDE FUCK EVERYTHING SWIRLY CAMERA PANNING AND COLORS LMAO

What does he use to get those swirling camera moves?

The first half of ETV was great. But the 2nd half got really bad really fast.

pretty sure alot of cgi was used actually

>Studio scenes, helicopter shots, and CGI were forged together in the hovering sequences with the intention that the viewer should be unable to determine which is which.[18]

> For shots from high altitudes, the team started with helicopter footage from video, and then created computer models of the neighbourhoods with textures from photographs. Neon lights, reflections, and dark areas were consistently accentuated. Flickers were created through a mixture of motion blur, chromatic aberration, and focus effects.

when, after the sister reunion?

he does what he likes: rendering tribute to his favorite films

something that Tarantino has already done with his entire career, but now with more stroboscopic lights

No, OP, THIS is his masterpiece.... youtu.be/V8BOBEZL9sk

im a film pleb, what are some of his tributes?

from the top of my head:

a scene in I Stand Alone when the warning countdown appears, I think he got it from another film

Enter the Void was a lifetime project that developed inside him after watching A Space Odyssey (you can see a poster of it in the first minutes)

and there's some strange advertising for cult films in Love

Watched LOVE at Tiff. Very emotionally powerful stuff. Haven't seen anything else.

you should check out his other movies

this
His wife is better, go watch innocence if you want some true kino

I kinda lean towards edgy provocateur although I was liking what I was seeing at first.

He's overindulgent. He had a good thing there but botched it. Shouldve cut a lot out from the second half of enter the void. Thinking seeing cum is art is fucking retarded. I mean I get it, its just felt monotonous. Just pisses you off

Edgy provocateur. He has an interesting visual style, but his movies feel bloated to me. And they stink of trying too hard. Enter the Void could have shaved 30 to 45 minutes off and been much more effective for it.

Somewhere in the middle. Irreversible is so much better than Enter the Void, though.

I thought Love was great, but Enter the Void was extremely slow and overall forgettable. Haven't seen anything else

Irreversible was better.

This isn't Irreversible.

Check out Irreversible under that aspect. The camera is incredible there. It's all a mix between handheld steady and cranes/platforms he uses. A lot of this in ETV is computer generated obviously, but his style and achievement in that department is generally very undercredited.

I would say Enter the Void vs Irreversible, honestly they are about equal. His films are very, VERY similar, to a fault, a lot like some of Lars Von Trier's later work. You can watch one and pretty much know what they other will be just from a very basic description.

He is good at using uncomfortably long takes, and spinning camera movement, but he does both far too much to be taken seriously. At the same time, he's probably one of the most memorable filmmakers to date, I mean every time I see a fire extinguisher, I think of Irreversible, so maybe its a BIT better than Enter the Void.

A lot of people compare him to Nicholas Winding Refn, but I really think he's much more like Pier Paolo Pasolini or possibly Abel Ferrara.

>a lot like some of Lars Von Trier's later work
Because Melancholia and Antichrist are so much alike?

Good filmmaker, shitty storyteller.

They're both about depression and I'm assuming he meant style wise.

>his masterpiece
Try again
youtube.com/watch?v=V8BOBEZL9sk

Love was amazing. Enter the void was a trip. Really want to watch irreversable

shut the fuck up you fucking pussy ass bitch

>Because Melancholia and Antichrist are so much alike?

They actually fucking are. How could you think otherwise.

>You can watch one and pretty much know what they other will be just from a very basic description
Right... sure. Only you absolutely can't, you faggots. They are completely different in mood and atmosphere and you couldn't know shit about what Antichrist would be like 'from a basic description'. Go STFU

Of course one can see the things in common but I hate this kind of reductionism where something is equated to another thing when they are both distinct entities. Reminds me of lazy critics.

Like acting like you don't need to see Antichrist if you've seen Melancholia, or don't need to see Irreversible if you've seen Enter the Void. Utter nonsense.

Stop self-posting, Gaspar. You are showing your vanity.