Christians of Sup Forums, please explain something to me: is baptism merely symbolic...

Christians of Sup Forums, please explain something to me: is baptism merely symbolic, or does it have any invisible supernatural effects?

Other urls found in this thread:

ewtn.com/library/catechsm/piusxcat.htm#Sacraments
youtube.com/watch?v=ahzcFOFA9qE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's an outward statement of faith. Nothing more. Pic related is a heresy. You must be dunked, nigga. Jesus came straightway out of the water.

I think thats just a bunch of Catholic heresy, does it even speak of it in the bible? I dont think so.

I was raised in the Army, we don't do baptism and stuff.

>Jesus came straightway out of the water
Says who?

Pretty sure the apostles were told to go baptize people. I've never read the Bible though, so can't tell for sure.

Pic related, user. Catholics, Protestants, and Orthodox are heretics that value vain traditions over what the Bible actually says.

That doesn't say He was submerged.

Baptism is a Sacrament, an Sign of the Divine in our lives. It marks the passage from a profane to a sacred life. In it you die to the normal world to be reborn In Christ.

From an "esoteric" point of view, it strenghens your bounds with your Guardian Angel.

Btw, there were/are some satanic groups that use the blood of non-baptised children so they can levitate. Yup, that's true, the "unbaptised" blood doesn't work.

Everytime you take a bath the light of god is emitted into your soul, duh water equals life, life equals god, jeez noobs

Satanists using baptized children's blood to levitate, wow must be true

What is Baptism?

Baptism is not simple water only, but it is the water comprehended in God's command and connected with God's Word.

Which is that word of God?

Christ, our Lord, says in the last chapter of Matthew: Go ye into all the world and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.

Secondly.

What does Baptism give or profit?

It works forgiveness of sins, delivers from death and the devil, and gives eternal salvation to all who believe this, as the words and promises of God declare.

Which are such words and promises of God?

Christ, our Lord, says in the last chapter of Mark: He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Thirdly.

How can water do such great things?

It is not the water indeed that does them, but the word of God which is in and with the water, and faith, which trusts such word of God in the water. For without the word of God the water is simple water and no baptism. But with the word of God it is a baptism, that is, a gracious water of life and a washing of regeneration in the Holy Ghost, as St. Paul says, Titus, chapter three: By the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Ghost, which He shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ, our Savior, that, being justified by His grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life. This is a faithful saying.

Fourthly.
What does such baptizing with water signify?

It signifies that the old Adam in us should, by daily contrition and repentance, be drowned and die with all sins and evil lusts, and, again, a new man daily come forth and arise; who shall live before God in righteousness and purity forever.

Where is this written?

St. Paul says Romans, chapter 6: We are buried with Christ by Baptism into death, that, like as He was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

Does this help? Not that you give a fuck what the Bible says.

Still no dunking.

Yup, it is. And they prefer the blood of the white race... look for those bizarre cults in Mexico.

lol cat-licks btfo

"Oy vey goy, of course Jesus said to get baptised but you can just let me dribble some water on your forehead heheheh it's all the same."

*rubs hands together*

Maybe those idiots do but causes levitation? C'mon now, or maybe David Blaine has a secret

1 Q. What is the sacrament of Baptism?
A. Baptism is a sacrament by which we are born again to the grace of God, and become Christians.

2 Q. What are the effects of the sacrament of Baptism?
A. The sacrament of Baptism confers first sanctifying grace by which original sin is washed away, as well as all actual sin if any such exists; it remits all punishment due on account of such sins; it imprints the character of a Christian; it makes us children of God, members of the Church, and heirs to Paradise, and enables us to receive the other sacraments.

3 Q. What is the matter of Baptism?
A. The matter of Baptism is natural water which is poured on the head of the person to be baptised in such a quantity as to flow.

4 Q. What is the form of Baptism?
A. The form of Baptism is: "I baptise thee in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost."

ewtn.com/library/catechsm/piusxcat.htm#Sacraments

John 3:22-23:

22 After these things came Jesus and his disciples into the land of Judaea; and there he tarried with them, and baptized.
23 And John also was baptizing in Aenon near to Salim, because there was much water there: and they came, and were baptized.

Acts 8:38-39

38 And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.
39 And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing.

The only way to believe in sprinkling is by turning your brain off.

No one has answered.
The washing of the baptism is to wash away Original Sin (Adam and Eve)

It is a profession of loyalty to G-d, and upon baptism you are eligible for a Catholic burial.

What difference does it make if it's but an outward statement? You said it yourself.

>and upon baptism you are eligible for a Catholic burial.
Are you saying if you aren't baptised you can't be given a catholic burial? God would reject his children because a man in a frock didn't pour some water over a babies head? Also, why do you state G-d? Is that not the same as saying God? It isn't like the - magically makes it a different person you're referring to. You could call him the Holy Salami if you wanted, you're still referring to God.

What difference does it make? It's a great litmus test to know if I'm dealing with a heretic that follows in the vain traditions of the great apostate whore of Babylon in Rome.

Whoa, don't judge lest you be judged, m80e! ;^P

kind of interesting how orthodox dunk, and that there are protestant sprinklers.
you'd think orthodox and catholic would be in agreement on something like this.

That's because Greek Orthodox actually speak Greek.

Preach the word. Be instant in season, out of season, reprove, rebuke, and exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine. God bless you.

>Are you saying if you aren't baptised you can't be given a catholic burial?
With a catholic mass, yes.
>Also, why do you state G-d?
It's a sign out respect not to have one of the many Names casually said, and it's to promote more respect around the subject by showing how dearly we respect and asking others to do the same.

anabaptists BTFO the catholics on this issue centuries ago. Forced the Church to concede its merely symbolic.

There's nothing wrong with saying God when you're actually talking about God. Some people are just overly paranoid about breaking the Third Commandment. God doesn't want you to use his word in vain because he wants you to use his name with reverence, awe, and respect. The ancient Hebrew made this mistake and completely forgot how to pronounce the original name of God in Hebrew.

I thought Jesus died to forgive original sin

Abrahamic religion are stupid as fuck. They can't even keep their stories straight.

Lol actually believes this

Baptism was essentially a cleansing ritual practiced by the Essenes, and we know exactly how they performed that ritual. so you can stop now.

should clarify it wasn't about this issue. more specifically it was about believer's baptism vs Infant baptism. However the Anabaptist position was so strong it forced many Catholic apologists to concede that Baptism as optional and symbolic as a last defense for infant baptism against believers baptism

Other user doesn't know what he's talking about. Jesus didn't die for original sin. Jesus didn't go around talking about Adam and Eve. He died for the sins of every man, but you must put your faith in Jesus Christ in order to be saved.

Different denominations look at it differently:

Some believe that baptism cleanses original sin. The idea is that humans are born inheriting the sin of Adam and eve because we no longer live in the direct presence of God because of the apple thing.

Note that most christians who look at it this way believe that unbaptised children who die still get a free pass to heaven. A very very tiny number of people think that an unbaptised baby will not go to heaven but instead to some kind of peaceful limbo. Virtually no one thinks that an inspired baby will go to hell.

Some see it as a symbolic gesture and more of a promise by the parents to involve the child in church community or teach the kid about christianity.

Others do it because Jesus himself was baptised and Jesus suggested that it was something people should do. Interpretations about why Jesus said that baptism should happen vary widely.

For others baptism represents spiritual death and rebirth. A person makes a choice to become a Christian and baptism symbolizes or makes official a person's commitment to christianity. Some people who believe this further insist that the choice can't be made by a baby and thus only people old enough to make that choice can be baptised.

People may believe any or all or stove combination of these beliefs and you will probably find other beliefs not listed here too.

Interesting note, there were a group of Christians who believed baptism was heretical because it was Christ alone to be baptised. They called themselves anabaptists. Some probably still exist but they were violently purged for the most part.

To clarify: Jesus death paid for the sins for every man. The wages of sin is death.

it's supposed to be drowning and cause a near death experience

Still most Christians belief systems treat his sacrifice as an offer of forgiveness and require something to signify acceptance of that offer while the person is still alive

>please explain something to me: is baptism merely symbolic

Yes, you retarded atheist. Symbolic rites are also never pointless, they exist as a process of initiation and/or proof of devotion, in turn that affects your spiritual standing.

Why are you so simple?

Jesus did mention Adam and Jesus said he came to die for his Friends. and its very easy to find out who is Friends are because it tells you throughout the old and new testament, and very specifically spells it out in Revelation: Those who follow the law and have the faith of Jesus.

1 Corinthians 7:12-14
>12 To the rest I say this (I, not the Lord): If any brother has a wife who is not a believer and she is willing to live with him, he must not divorce her. 13 And if a woman has a husband who is not a believer and he is willing to live with her, she must not divorce him. 14 For the unbelieving husband has been sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy.

>as it is, they are holy

The children of one Christian parent are holy and thus they are counted among the sons of God. Infants should be baptised because there is only one church and one baptism, not a partial church and partial baptism.

>"The children of Christians are no less sons of God than the parents, just as in the Old Testament. Hence, since they are sons of God, who will forbid this baptism? Circumcision among the ancients ... was the same as baptism with us." -Huldrych Zwingli

Baptism is just the sign of our covenant with God. Original sin washing away is merely superstition

I really wonder how christianity would have turned out without Paul. Had more influence on the religion than Jesus.

Symbolic, obviously

even the catholicuck church had full water immersion baptism for hundreds of years until some satanic council decided that that's not how they're going to do it anymore

and most christians are going to hell because of it, they don't really believe in jesus and that he died for your sins

fuck that swingly fuck, he's burning in hell rn

>but you must put your faith in Jesus Christ in order to be saved.
But I don't think he was ever a person. It seems like people were just getting visions from a celestial being, then later they made up stories.

So I'm going to hell?

Friend. Please do your homework. Even the filthiest atheist savage in academia agrees that Jesus Christ was a historical figure.

When did Sup Forums become so predominantly protestant?

Even German historians agree the holocaust happened. That appeal to authority doesn't mean anything.

after we raided the romney faggots chat

No baptism is not symbolic, it washes away original sin and places a person in a state of grace and salvation:

"And baptism...now saves you" - 1 Peter 3:21

I imagine the ritual itself, coupled with the fact that there are witnesses, often family witnesses, can have an effect on your personal outlook and sense of duty thereafter.

t. fedoratipper

>Praying to a fedora Pope

Shouldn't you be suckling on a Muslim's feet right now?

That's great that you pasted some sort of catechism, but how can you say baptism works forgiveness of sins, anymore than you can say confession to a priest gives him the authority to forgive your sins? Is this not denying the grace of God through the finished work of Christ Jesus? Is not faith the requirement, not ritual, for salvation? Yes, the scriptures say if we confess with our mouth Jesus is Lord we shall be saved. Baptism is that confession. It is a symbol, but it has no power to save without faith.

>But I don't think he was ever a person.

There was definitely some guy walking around about 2000 years ago preaching a radical new sect of Judaism that eventually gained popularity that eventually became significant across the Roman empire.

It may come as a surprise to you that he can't even be pope, since he isn't even a bishop. He was ordained by the invalid novus ordo rite.

youtube.com/watch?v=ahzcFOFA9qE

Baptists aren't protestant.

MY Jesus did a cannon ball to impress Mary Magnilin then rode away on a skateboard

>invisible supernatural effects

Yes it did but it does not now anymore . It is even in the bible that paul asked are you baptist, and they say bij john, then paul baptises in jesus name and the holy spirit comes in them , and they start to speak in tongues

Mostly I'll protestants and eastern orthodox

There is no reason to think that. It's just something people believe because other people believe it.

Otherwise you'd have some kind of evidence.

It shields you from burning in eternal hellfire like all Jews

Wrong. Jesus is tightly interwoven with Roman history. Why would the Jews, who hate Jesus Christ so much, write so much about him in the Talmud? I bet you turn around and accept that Cyrus or Alexander were real and yet you have just as much evidence that they ever existed.

Chaplin's do baptisms

Dafuq?

Stuff is all hearsay. Jesus should have told us himself what he saw when he came out of the water.

>to add to confirm super powers with baptism

1And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples, 2He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost. 3And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism. 4Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus. 5When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 6And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied. 7And all the men were about twelve.

theres stupid and then theres STUPID...

>Wrong. Jesus is tightly interwoven with Roman history.
Really?

>Why would the Jews, who hate Jesus Christ so much, write so much about him in the Talmud?
I guess their religion isn't historically accurate either. If such a thing is even possible.
>Cyrus or Alexander
There is probably a lot of falsehoods in our history books.

You're talking about God, though. Incredible claims require evidence.

I'm pretty sure that God wouldn't want me believing in something just because everyone around me did.

Why aren't you a Buddhist? Maybe their books are true.

This cover all OP pagan doubts.

It's deplorable to baptize a child. It's done nothing wrong.

Christ himself waited until he was a grown man to be baptized. As did the rest of his disciples. The Roman Emperor Constantine waited until the last possible moment of his life to be baptized as he believed that would guarantee you a place Above.

Did you read up on John the Baptist and the core Christian concepts behind baptism?

christfags would have their tip of the dick cut of . But the core values are sttil taught by jesus

What's funny is you probably turn around and believe everything NASA tells you.

Buddhist? Because it's complete non-sense? Nothing even comes close to the power of the King James Bible. They can't even be compared.

Woah maybe I should believe in Jesus

Ok.

>they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 6And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied

All those christfags here no one tries to defend why they dont get super powers when baptized

>What's funny is you probably turn around and believe everything NASA tells you.
Wait I just thought of something.

You don't trust NASA, but you trust a book about magical creatures written thousands of years ago?

I almost started to believe in Jesus until I realized how frickin' stupid you are.

jesus was black

17And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:

so either we are in the last days for 2000 years or the holyghost is not in us anymore

>It's done nothing wrong.
Original sin or whatever.
Also since only christians are supposed to go to heaven they decide to make them "official" christians early on.

Also, if you are confused about the “last days” comment that basically is the period of time between Jesus ascending to heaven and Jesus second coming. So we are in the last days now.

So, all this means that now all God’s people will receive the Holy Spirit, whether they are young or old, male or female, and now the Holy Spirit is needed to build the church before Jesus returns.

haha christcucks

>18Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time.

>praise gord
>praise jengus
>holy
holy
>holy

I meant Salvation Army, dumbass. We don't do baptism and communion and stuff.

Baptism is not required for salvation or something but is basically a sign of obedience to Christ:
1. You believe
2. You let yourself get baptized
=Baptism is a RESULT of belief/salvation and obedience to Christ not a contributor to salvation.
Baptism does not have the "supernatural effect" to save you.

Infant baptism is a heresy that, like all heresies, needs more and more heresies (confirmation) to make sense. In that regard, heresies are like sin: one sin (stealing money from your parents to buy pot) leads to another sin (lying to your parents wher ethe money is etc.). And one heresy leads to another heresy.

>invisible supernatural effects
Yes it protects you from all kinds of bad things like being a Muslim or a Jew.

What spell makes that protection break?

Usury.

Infant baptism a heresy? John the Baptist was baptized in the WOMB. Read your Gospels.

Its seems like a pretty weak protection spell if it can be deactivated by taking out a bad loan considering the Shini curse is a pretty weak corruption spell.