/who/ Doctor Who General

The Chimes of Midnight Edition

Last Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nqpzv6v5KBM
youtube.com/watch?v=rAmFPqQ74HQ
shearrob.tumblr.com/post/59357063729/this-may-have-been-asked-before-but-would-you-ever
vocaroo.com/i/s0hZaq1oSArG
eruditorumpress.com/blog/you-were-expecting-someone-else-6-doctor-who-and-the-pescatons/
youtube.com/watch?v=lJSd2hJLn2g
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for absolutely GOAT

Thread theme: youtube.com/watch?v=nqpzv6v5KBM

>fake cloister is shitty thread theme user

No surprises here

Anybody here nerd enough to own a vinyl BF audio?

What does everyone think of the new vinyl covers? Chimes has that new one, and Spare Parts has pic related. Better or worse than the original covers, or just different?

Relistening to this one after many years and many later Charley stories… damn, she was a great character in the early years.

I disagree with you

Coming from someone who hasn't heard the actual story, that's fucking beautiful

I think theyre just different, both great. Whilst I like the original Spare Parts cover, the new one has the cyber police which is great

Perhaps he originally meant for different Time Lords to have different colour regenerations? The idea behind the jesus stance regens was to standardise how regens looked, so writers wouldn't have to try and re-explain them all the time. Which worked - see in Moff's era the many regens (River's, Doctor fakeout, actual Doctors, etc).

Although Moff had the General regen not in that stance, and 11 kinda had a second snap regen.

Headcanon: Rassilon biologically tinkered with Time Lord regeneration to make it an explosive jesus-stance thing as a self-defence mechanism, so dying Time Lords were still useful in battle - explaining why Classic Doctors didn't do them, but NewWho doctors did.

Yeah I prefer the original Chimes cover but the new Spare Parts cover is better IMO

Spare Parts wins for having a picture of a Cyberhorse instead of the generic blue Davison face; both Chimes covers are pretty good.

The only vinyl I have is Pescatons.

Do I get some nerd points back for having some AudioVisuals and BBV on cassette?

The new covers do look better than the originals, especially since most of the early covers were pretty crappy. I mean, Chimes was one of the better ones, but it wasn't that great.

>press ESC to exit full screen
oh just kill me now /who/. I ruined the already terrible joke I was trying to make

No, they're fucking $100 each but that may even be a good deal if you want a physical copy because the CDs are sadly OOP.

>The idea behind the jesus stance regens was to standardise how regens looked, so writers wouldn't have to try and re-explain them all the time
Was that previously a problem?

The Doctor stared at the whip in his hand.

"You want me to do what to Bill?"

"It's realistic. You gonna have to do some rap with Bill," said the man.

"Rap? Are you sure that's what he meant?" said Bill.

"At least, that's what the piece of paper said. I mean, unless I missed a letter, or something," said Nardole.

The Doctor looked at the slave owners, and shrugged.

"Hit the beat, Nardole. Where's a perigoto stick when you need one?"

Bill first gay companion my ass. not even first lesbian companion

>especially since most of the early covers were pretty crappy

Come on, you're telling me pic related is crappy!?

I'm not sure I'd go far as to say "problem" but it's certainly something writers would consider. RTD focusing on storytelling efficiency makes sense. Regeneration is hard enough to sell to a new, modern audience, I think RTD made a smart choice.

>Five sacrifices himself for Peri despite only meeting her the previous story (ignoring Briggs Finish gap)
>Ten tells Wilf he's "not remotely important" and makes him cry
Why is Ten such a shit?

You could just burn a CDR from the downloads, print a cover, and voila, physical copy.

fucking stupid, never post again

I actually had a good laugh at that, I thought it was intentional. It looks like Ten is yelling at it, or he's being attacked by it.

top kek

>tfw we will never get another Frobisher BF story

I've only heard 1 audio story and I haven't even finished it but I'm really into vinyl.
Thought I'd pick that up, but lol not with that fucking price tag

:'(

Did something happen to Jezek?

He's reeing like fuck now, nice

>tfw have Chimes and a handful of other OOP CDs

NEW COMPANION ANNOUNCED
youtube.com/watch?v=rAmFPqQ74HQ

>tfw Robert Shearman will write another Big Finish story in your lifetime

Hey, what regen are you?

>When you try to shitpost but 4plebs is down and image to text fails you

There are some good ones, but in general the photoshopping is pretty bad even if the concept is good, and you quickly realise they only have 2-3 photos of each character to reuse over and over.

Like this one. Great concept, but the decolour filter didn't come out right, they did angle the pic right to fit in the locket, and the "snow on the lens" effect is ridiculous-looking.

well in that case, that's what I was going for
Either that or he's screaming it at Wilf
"JUST HIT ESC YOU IDIOT. NEITHER OF US HAS TO DIE"

No, it's just the Frobisher audios are apparently not very popular so they don't make more.

Press Esc to exit full screen

>Frobisher audios
>Not popular

10 was vain as fuck
He knew he was going to save Wilf, but he didn't have to be happy about it

>tfw Robert Shearman will write another Big Finish story in your lifetime
He's been working on it for ages now. Will it ever come out?

>Ten tells Wilf he's "not remotely important"
>Eleven says "in all my years of travel I've never met a single person who wasn't important"
which one was lying?

I agree. Sometimes it's painful because the concept is really good, but they just obviously can't execute it very well.

Pic related triggers me because there's no actual cover arts available on the web, just the poster. Does anyone have any actual square-size cover art for The Last Adventure?

>I've only heard 1 audio story and I haven't even finished it but I'm really into vinyl.
You should be able to find a used copy of Pescatons for under £2 if you live in a big city in the UK. Don't know about anywhere else.

>The Holy Terror
>not very popular
It's easily among the most highly acclaimed of their entire library.

What are you even implying here? I'd love more Frobisher audios and The Holy Terror is obviously a classic but he doesn't bring in sales.

Pic related is a great Tennant story if anybody hasn't tried out his audios but are somewhat interested. Would have LOVED to seen this one on TV.

They rarely have the individual covers for any boxsets. Kinda annoying desu because I love when they release new covers

Like pic related must have been released recently

I'm saying everyone thinks they're fantastic

Ten just got up himself and screamed at a kindly old man; at least the "it's my honor" at the end sort of halfway saves it.

>Hey, Nick, do we have full-body shots of Constance, Charley, and Flip?
>What for?
>For the box set cover. I've got full-body shots of Jago and Litefoot, and I want them all stranding in a semicircle like the way the 13 Doctors do.
>Nah, don't have one. Why not just use the bust shots and have them floating in space?

>audios
They made one, and no, The Maltese Penguin was a sub bonus, so it doesn't count. The character's hardly had a shake on audio.

>They rarely have the individual covers for any boxsets. Kinda annoying desu because I love when they release new covers

Same, and my copy of TLA looks dumb in my audio library without a square cover :'(

Good thing with NewWho audios is they have way more promo photos to photoshop from.

Ahgr, don't remind me!

PFFFFFFFT

You'd be vain too if you looked like David Tennant

Ten didn't mean it, he was just scared and angry. We've all said stupid shit we don't mean when we're angry.

>mixing Ace and Mel
Is there any possibility this turns out well? Doesn't it just mean the Doctor is locked in S24 mode, unable to get dark with the Pease Pottage do-gooder annoyance hanging around?

>I'm saying everyone thinks they're fantastic
Sure. I meant "popular" financially.

shearrob.tumblr.com/post/59357063729/this-may-have-been-asked-before-but-would-you-ever
>As for Frobisher - I don’t think the poor penguin sold that well for them for a *very* long time!
That's what I always interpreted this to mean, anyway.

>The character's hardly had a shake on audio
I agree with you. I was just recalling something Shearman said, I assumed that's what the first user was referring to about Frobisher never coming back.

Finding what Rob said again, it doesn't seem as unambiguous as I remembered.

Why was he so scared and angry. He wasn't going to die, just regenerate.

Dude, thank you so much
It never crossed my mind that a Doctor Who audio would be on the list for Record Store Day
>tfw missed out on Genesis of the Daleks last year
I actually picked up something this year from last years record store day, some stuff doesn't move off the shelves as quickly. Especially in my country. Maybe I'll go looking around.

Anyone want to tell me if Doctor Who and the Pescatons is any good?
I'll still probably pick it up if I see it, but I'm interested in everyones thoughts

I wonder how many people gave up after Technophobia and didn't realise that the other two are a great story and one that isn't amazing but perfectly nails the feel of S4 at its best?

I'm curious as well. I didn't listen to the first Mel and Ace trilogy. I only know about the female black Doctor.

Who ready for 6.5/10kino?

Can't forget that a tonne of big Big Finish fans (like me, and probably quite a few others in this thread) pirate quite a lot of the audios. So we have a fanbase calling certain stories kino, but not actually buying them that much. Creates this weird thing where Big Finish hear that the fans consider stories GOAT, but the sales don't always reflect it.

I wonder what the sales are like on the couple of stories they don't offer download for (because of rights reasons).

:( A sad thought

Pescatons is definitely not good, but it's comfy af anyway.

Although that could just the nostalgia talking, since I got it as a little kid back when Tom was still on TV.

Reminder

don't you try and spin your way out of this one by putting kino at the end of a bad rating

>the female black Doctor
WHAT

It's a meme, some character who wore Sylv's hat on the cover. There was also a raccoon in a snazzy shirt.

Best part was when Ten shot himself with all the time reaver guns

Also pic related was the weakest out of the three Tenth Doctor stories, but it's also the only one that actually made me laugh out loud when I listened to it for the first time: vocaroo.com/i/s0hZaq1oSArG

I BRING DEATH

>Can't forget that a tonne of big Big Finish fans (like me, and probably quite a few others in this thread) pirate quite a lot of the audios.
That's a good point, and is something I've seen Rob directly address before too:
>And one day Big Finish will end - and it won’t be because the BBC took away the licence, or the Doctors decided not to record any more, or because the writers ran out of stories (never that!). It’ll be because the well-meaning enthusiasm of fans who sincerely *love* Big Finish will bankrupt it.

I also remember something about some BF ranges ending because piracy effected sales too much, but maybe somebody else said that.

>They made one, and no, The Maltese Penguin was a sub bonus, so it doesn't count. The character's hardly had a shake on audio.
The whole notion of "side steps" was terrible marketing.

I get what they were going for, trying to appeal to NA/EDA/DWM readers by saying "don't worry, you can just get this one without knowing any other BF".

But the effect was the opposite, everyone thought it meant "don't worry, you can skip this one".

And at least Benny already had her own established series, and Iris had already been in Excelis and they were talking about a full series for her too, but poor Frobisher got hosed.

fucking kek, I'm checking out these stories
Everyone creaming over how great Time Reaver is piqued my interest, but that audio clip sold me

But it's going to be mediocre second storykino user, that counts

Sandifer has a similar take - eruditorumpress.com/blog/you-were-expecting-someone-else-6-doctor-who-and-the-pescatons/

That moment was absolute kino. Imagine if it was on TV, and he was writhing around!

Yeah it's an interesting, sad point. I'm hugely culpable of course. That said, I think Briggs Finish is flawed in a tonne of ways, including many Russell Finish wasn't, and they could be running themselves better. Doesn't excuse the negative effects of piracy on them though, just saying they're not a perfect company.

Enjoy user!

That's a really interesting take, I think you're right.

you can't just put kino at the end of anything you want, it has to actually be something good

When's that story set? smartphones were still a new thing in donna's time

But what if it's good at being mediocre?

Captcha: London Signal

>I think Briggs Finish is flawed in a tonne of ways
It's basically just one way. So many bases, so much siege...

>Technophobia was my favorite one ;_;

"It's not the sonic that's stopped working...IT'S ME!"

do they cover donna being fascinated at how much things have changed?

Acclaim != sales.

IIRC she does comment on the technology differences yeah.

Fun fact about Technophobia: "Originally, this story was intended to be about sleep deprivation. However, when Big Finish sent the script over to Cardiff, they became aware that a TV episode with a similar plot, Sleep No More, was being produced. For this reason, Matt Fitton changed the plot of this story. (Vortex 87)"

My ranking is Time Reaver>power gap>Technophobia>Death and the Queen

The sheer number of output is killing them and their creativity. Also Matt Fitton needs to fucking go, he's Briggs but worse.

Yep!

Why do you insist on using Cloisters old trip

To cross my own timestream!

Are they even trying to be creative at this point, though? It just looks like the logical conclusion of having a man whose favorite story is Death to the Daleks in charge. Plenty of focus on recreating how something was on TV, little or no desire for "new" or "different". Their idea of a new direction is having both Ace and Mel.

Thread theme remix: youtube.com/watch?v=lJSd2hJLn2g

I don't think they big finish even needs to make new content at all for a good while. They could just have their software developers and marketing team figure out how to repackage what they currently have and probably increase their revenue by orders of magnitude. They could even put their shittier stories on sale for dirt cheap in waves as a "last time offering" sale and then void them from their catalog forever.

>Are they even trying to be creative at this point, though?

Not generally, I wouldn't say. But it bleeds through here and there. The Torchwood and River Song lines have some excellent, creative stories. The Main Range, 4s line, and 8s line rarely do these days, and that's where I imagine Briggs' influence is strongest.

I don't even think Briggs is a bad writer, he used to write some great stories, and I think he's a fucking excellent voice actor. But he's a bad Big Finish overlord. Gary Russell was better IMO, though hardly perfect.

We're a long way from the days of Scherzo friends.

They have such tremendous mountains of content, it's insane.

>eruditorumpress.com/blog/you-were-expecting-someone-else-6-doctor-who-and-the-pescatons/
I hadn't read that.

It's weird that he didn't hear it at 10, but defends it as if he had. And honestly, he defends it a lot harder than I would.

It's also weird that, after all that waffle about morality at the start, he never mentions that the Fourth Doctor is pretty far from being a moral hero in this one. He's an asshole to a desperate alien species, so they're forced to pick a planet at random to migrate to, and when that happens to be Earth, he murders them all.

The worst part of big finish is the fucking cost. Look at this shit, one monthly range release ends up being $30. RREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE I HATE BEING A PHYSICAL MEDIA FAG

FUCK forgot file

>physical big finish

Now there's your problem

Yeah it's not surprising they're pirated so hard.

I just rewatched Curse of Fatal Death. It's actually pretty good Who. Every Doctor in it was actually interesting to watch.

>pre order charge
Wait, they charge you MORE to pre-order it? Isn't that the opposite to normal?

When does Briggs Finish actually begin? I have no concept of when the previous era was or anything.

It's Moffat-y in some of his best ways. I really love how he cannibalised some story beats and lines into the show proper.

What's it like being blind, user

but with there app, its super fucking easy to be a download fag. just buy it and dl to your phone.

or buy it off amazon $13 . or book depository $11.

and thats expensive for those two sites.

its a per order charge, physical media only, helps cover their shipping charges.

Well this looks embarrassing