What's your opinion on Godard?

What's your opinion on Godard?
Favorite movie from him?

godard was once a maoist who championed the murderous ideology of mao zedong and the khmer rouge. we condemn griffith and riefenstahl of their political sins, but griffith serioiusly tried to prove he was not a hater after 'birth of a nation'. and riefenstahl insisted she loathed nazism but had simply done as told. maybe they were full of shit but at least they tried to publicly distance themselves from extreme politics.

not godard who espoused the most extreme, murderous, and destructive form of leftism. film scholars, so outraged about long dead griffith and long irrelevant riefenstahl, never demanded of godard to face up to his past sins. unlike kurosawa and bergman who candidly confessed their cowardice in face or approval of, respectively, japanese militarism and nazism, godard has never ever apologized in general, or in specific to the countless victims of the tyrants he supported with all his heart.

godard celebrated and championed mao's total destruction of culture and intellectual life and the khmer rouge that transformed camodia overnight into a genocidal stone age marxist state. fuck that piece of shit.

ok cool now answer the second q, whats your favorite movie of his

There is a tendency to romanticize the past, especially the age of cinephilia from the 50s to 70s, but is there some truth to the notion that great films were far more frequent in the 50s, 60s, and 70s than today?

This doesn't apply to the US (and France to a lesser degree) where good, interesting, and great films have been made since the 70s up to now. But, there has been a real decline in world cinema. In the 50s and 60s, if US was making crap movies in a given year, French were making good movies. If the French were making crap, there was Sweden. If Bergman was having a dry season, there was Antonioni. If Antonioni was having a dry run, there was Truffaut. If Truffaut was having a dry run, there was Imamura. If Imamura was having a dry run, there was Pasolini. If Paso was sucking up, there was Godard. If Godard was fucking up, there was Visconti. If Visconti was messing up, there was Oshima. If Oshima was screwing up, there was Bertolucci. If Bertolucci wasn't delivering, there was Bresson. If Bresson was messing up, there was Tati. If Tati was on strike, there was Kurosawa. If Kurosawa was bombing, there was Rohmer. If Rohmer was off kilter, there was Wajda. If Wajda wasn't up to par, there was Forman. If Forman was batting zero, there was Jansco. And so on.
Most of those filmmakers made their share of flawed films, but there were so many interesting and first-rate artists that there were always a handful of artists somewhere who were doing something important. But, international cinema has declined badly. Only US and France have really remained as major players. Hong Kong was big in the 80s, but none of it was serious art cinema. Korea is a joke. Today, when US and France falter, there isn't much to look forward to or rely on. Sure, there are good directors all over but not many great ones making grand ambitious films. The pool of talent isn't very deep anymore. When the US and French products are thin, there aint much else to dive into.

I haven't seen too much of his middle & late periods, but out of the earlier stuff, I still really like Alphaville.

Very uneven filmography, some good films, some so horrible you get flashbacks of how terrible they are.
Fav is Band of Outsiders

"In the Darkness of Time" is probably my favorite out of his later films (though seeing "Goodbye to Language" in 3D was awesome). And "Vivre sa vie" is a masterpiece.

I haven't seen a whole lot by him.
We watched King Lear and Weekend in film school, and then I liked those enough to go and watch 3 or 4 other of his works.
I probably liked "A Woman is a Woman" (Une femme est une femme) most.

As for the first question; I think he was a revolutionary who paved the way for better directors to come in and improve upon what he'd created.
While he's obviously a pioneer and should be respected as such, the stories themselves aren't particularly engrossing or mind-blowing.

> Only US and France have really remained as major players.

Dumb meme. The US oldschool is severely overrated (Scorscese and Malick are the only good ones left), and the new ones are very flawed, and what the fuck is France producing? Jean-Pierre Jeunet? Luc besson? Get the fuck outta here.

The truth is that good directors are now mroe widespread rather than relegated to France, Italy, Russia, Japan, US and UK (with the occasional Bergman and German). Good arthouse now also comes from Korea, Turkey, Iran, Denmark, Thailand, Philippines, Argentina, Chile, Brazil etc while good movies are still being made in Italy, Russia, UK and Japan. While it is true Italy and Russia had a massive downfall in the '80s and '90s, they're hit a resurgence lately.

The reason why it's easy to romanticize the past is because you tend to view a directors work from his best, rather than his latest when his career is over. Fellini's last films were absolutely horrible, yet he's still celebrated.

Eras always look the best when they're over.

You got a fucking source on that, buddy?

>got a source on a French man in the 60s being a commie?

So, no?

easily the most influential director of the 20th century and the ultimate pleb filter. Unless you are an aritst yourself you cant even begin to see the breadth of his influence. He's really an artist's artist he's bold, original, and life affirming.

From a critical standpoint, he's something like a Magritte of film. He tackles Derrida, Lacan, Barthes (especially barthes) and Freud through his filmmaking. His movies, on some level are more attempts at philosophical dialogue than they are just entertainment.

just watched JLG/JLG last night for the first time. mindblowing.

need to finally get around to finishing his filmography from the 90s, from what I've read they're all fantastic.

>2 Hours of a married couple auguring over nonsensical bullshit

I only enjoyed Breathless and Pierrot le Fou but this was boring as fuck

I was going to just come in this thread and say
>he was a communist and a hack
but this pasta is still delicious

Pierrot le fou any good?
Had that in my backlog for a year now

Masculin Feminin

is it possible to be this stupid?

Nice argument fàm

Contempt is actually his best film because it's his most personal. a lot of the other stuff is really artificial, even if it's good.

...for retards. So of course someone like you loves every time some memer posts it

If I was a nu-male wanting to watch marxist propaganda disguised as art I'd rather watch Haneke than Godard since at least his topics are more relevant today.

It's a masterpiece

I always thought his movies were really boring.

Resnais and Truffaut are the real stars of the French new wave

Both Godard and Haneke are much more than ''marxist propaganda''. Not that you would, Sup Forums babby

Is this where Wong Kar Wai got it's inspiration from for Chungking Express in terms of visual

you fucking rightists are the scum of the world you be damned, you and your offspring

Not that guy, but I would say not at all

There is a lot of french new wave influence in wkw's movies but it's mostly present in the attitude - like I could definitely see the Louvre scene in Bande à part in Fallen Angels or something.

The cinematography of Chungking Express is too sort of whimsical (not in a bad way) to be godardian.

all his films have a "fake" feeling to them, i don't believe that anything godard does comes from his heart.

t. nu-male

Nichols, reichardt and Carruth are good new Americans.

Ozon and audiard are still holding it up for the French

You forgot to mention Romania, they have the best new directors. Sieranevada and graduation were the best 2 films of 2016

I prefer Snyder

Tout va Bien

Powerful attack.
Stay on your racebait threads

>Truffaut
Even more overrated than jlg . His entire reputation is based on one film.

Rohmer and Malle were objectively the best of the FNW. Rivette is my personal favorite.

Best French director of all time is Bresson tho and no one else comes close.

Communists are literally incapable of empathy and comprehension of human nature. If somebody is a communist then they cannot make art.

>Even more overrated than jlg
If anything both are not rated enough

>His entire reputation is based on one film.
That's just profoundly stupid and false

>Rohmer and Malle were objectively the best of the FNW. Rivette is my personal favorite.
good taste
it's not
Truffaut has no film even remotely as revered as the 400 blows

No.
No.

t. commie

>if anything both are not rated enough
Are you joking? Truffaut and Godard are the most well known French directors of all time . Breathless and 400 blows are consistently mentioned on best films list, usually as the highest ranking French films. They're both severely overrated as directors .

Which Nichols? Mike Nichols is dead and not really new, Andrew Niccol isn't making arthouse (pretty good Hollywood director though, for all that entails), Reichardt just sin't good whatsoever. Carruth is definitely interesting, but neither Primer or Upstream Color have really been all there emotionally, they're better as ideas than as art, though I'm sure Carruth will make atleast one masterpiece once his career is over.

And I was a little hyperbolic. Jeremy Saulnier is quite interesting (even though Green Room was a big step back from the excellent Blue Ruin), and for all his faults I do like Mike Cahill as well, even though he is flawed as a filmmaker, mostly because he knows which stories to tell and how.

Other than that though, Darren aronofsky can make good stuff again if he gets his brain back, we'll see what Barry Jenkins decides to do next, I was genuinely unimpressed by the directing from Macnhester by the Sea, so i don't have too many hopes from Lonnergan.

I mean there's a ton decent ones, but until they've made a genuine masterpiece it's hard to judge.

Your claim is already out, you said his reputation was based on one film, now it's already in comparison with 400 coups.

But...
Jules Et Jim is widely acclaimed as a masterwork, by many even above 400. The wholeness of the Doinel saga, the Ardant films, the academy-winning film.
Naturally, for anyone with actual interest, Truffaut had a rich and spectacular career to the end.

It's clear by context that it's Jeff Nichols. Nice career so far, hope he doesn't get too prestigey

Jeff nichols.

Take shelter, Shotgun stories and midnight special were excellent, loving and mud were pretty good.

Aronofsky is a hack. I agree that Lonergan isn't that talented of a director, but he's a great writer which still makes his films worth watching.

Also I forgot to mention France has Julie ducornau, raw was one of the best debut films I've seen recently

Only contrarians would say Jules et Jim is more widely revered than 400 blows.

This is such a terrible post.

Most of the best modern directors are coming from all over the place (Phillipines, Romania, Iran, Turkey, chile, Thailand, Mexico, Germany , Russia etc )

World cinema is thriving

my man

I think day for night is up there with 400 blows

personally the whole doniel series is superb

A very stylish man. In life and in his prime work