Why do Americans do this?

>coachrickswimming.com/2014/11/01/can-short-swimmers-compete-at-the-highest-levels/

>you can do everything!
>oh sure, let me pull up the stats that 100% of accomplished athletes in this sport have certain physical traits that are essential to this sport
>but don't worry I FIRMLY BELIEVE that you can accomplish everything with HARD WORK
>wait what, you used to perform well in the sport until you didn't develop into a man with the necessary physical traits to succeed in this sport?
>you must be a LOSER! that is why you failed, you didn't work hard enough at getting those genetically predetermined traits

>You should never do anything that does not come naturally to you
Ebin

you guys are wayy too autismal about vague dreams and instant glory
I guess he

fell short

>working hard to achieve a goal is instant glory

What the fuck is wrong with your font rendering?

manlets are barely human, theyre like gremlins that unfortunately have the ability to talk

You definitely shouldn't fuck up somebody's future by telling them they have a chance in something where they definitely don't stand a chance.

What the fuck is wrong with you people?

How is that person going to feel when they are 25 and they realised they are a complete failure?

Let see:

1. either they realise they have been mislead and were too stupid to figure it out and they'll be pissed off that they wasted their best years attempting something futile

2. or they are still brainwashed and thing they failed because they didn't work hard enough, which is even worst, blaming themselves unnecessarily

This is honestly, cruel. Are you honestly too thick to realise how cruel this is?

he thinks by being taller his entire life would be fixed, i am taller than many of my friends and my social life is far from being fixed

What's wrong with it?

it's like saying a 5' 3" manlet can be a good runner if they "try hard enough", and then blame them for being a loser who doesn't try when they fail.

I know where this attitude comes from too. It's egalitarianism, combined with capitalism. You find it all over the place on right wing radio and conservative news outlets. The theory is:
>everyone is equal
>success is determined by effort
>if you didn't succeed, you must not have tried
This is how they justify their defense of capitalism as a moral mandate. Since rich people must have "tried harder", or successful athletes must have "trained harder". When in reality it's 90% genetics.

It's intended to motivate people to work hard. But it ignores some very basic realities about life and human nature.

>I know where this attitude comes from too. It's egalitarianism, combined with capitalism.

I think, it's also because of the "winner takes all" mentality. You just ignore the losers, so you never think about losing. There exist only winners. They take all the glory and all the attention. If you ignore the losers there is never any perceived risk of losing, because nobody ever thinks about losing until they do and when they do their opinion doesn't count anymore because they are losers.

bingo

Also, ironically, you can be a very good long distance (marathon) runner at 5'3. In fact all are very short people. But you'd be hopeless in swimming. Average height of competitive swimmers is something like 6'3.

No it's even worse. It blames the losers for their failure.
It's their fault they failed, so they deserve what they get

This is a very familiar argument to me as an american, because as I said it is one of the primary philosophies behind American conservatism. You find it all over the radio, TV, newspapers....etc.

of course the left is not so keen on this thought process. But their thought process is often even more cancerous, they teach people to always be victims who have no control over their own lives

I think the argument works because it pulls on the Protestant work ethic. Protestants have always had this ethic of working, working, working, and never enjoying themselves. The early puritans believed that laughing, or smiling, or taking any enjoyment out of life was doing a disservice to God. In the early colonies, they would work their fingers to the bone and live their lives with a dour face.

Even today America is defined by these puritan values. For example, the taboo on swear words, or the taboos on sexual stuff.

>you guys are wayy too autismal about vague dreams and instant glory
Hm?
Nobody honestly thinks that you can achieve something without hard work here
What is this nonsense?

>It is cruel to instill discipline and a healthy attitude towards work in children
As opposed to telling them their life is going to be in vain unless they can find the one thing their genetics suit them towards

You seem to forget that societies need things to be done, and that people don't always fit the bill but with hard work can at the very least do what is necessary

What's more is your odd inclination to think that someone who attempted to reach the top will take it in bad faith and not at least come to accept and appreciate their accomplishments
It depends on the individual but you're projecting that everyone ever comes out a sore loser

>you shouldnt even try to do things that your body tells you you shouldnt do
I see, so this is the mentality that caused europeans to become such irrelevant pussies today

I'm still calling you Bruce, deal with it.

I'm familiar with Calvinism which is similar. But you're also supposed to be super humble which goes contrary to, "I can be anything I want to be".

It all boils down to what is in my view, unnecessarily delusion, of those that trust in you, to give them good mentorship. If the kid doesn't stand a chance at swimming get him into a sport where he can accomplish something. Don't build up his hopes for nothing. That is just stupid.

>Puritan clothing

this is lowkey trolling right

>If the kid doesn't stand a chance at swimming get him into a sport where he can accomplish something
The thing is, to go big is to start very early
You don't know what your kid is going to be like in about two decades when their kid stops growing
I doubt people would go as far as to decode their own DNA to figure out this sort of stuff too

>average swimmer height is 6'4
>literally nobody below 6', not even the women

Thinks he can just will himself through LE HARD WORK MEME to get on the podium if he's 5'something manlet.

Hey, if you can just will yourself anything, why don't you will yourself to be a billionaire? And then will yourself to be immortal and will yourself a harem of women just for good measure, too.

puritan sexual repression is a meme

>you're also supposed to be super humble
absolutely right, we have lost this for sure

I think it's still popular to be humble in the Midwest and the some of the white areas in the northeast. But in the South, Texas, the coasts, and other places we have lost it.

I think being humble is not so useful to political classes, they want you to be a "ra-ra american" who brags about how great the country is so we can go invade and spread democracy and freedom....etc. Politicians will always get you pumped up with nationalist fervor to make you vote for them. And with sporting events too, it is not profitable to be humble, everyone is supposed to get really excited about their team winning. And of course, rap music spreads the whole "muh dick" arrogance stuff to the youth.

I also think that spreading this type of defensive arrogance about the country and life was part of the anti-communist propaganda. They wanted to have an ideological defense for capitalist system, and part of that was to make people stop apologizing for their success.

Americans have av ery optimistic culture. You had to be optimistic to leave your country behind and start a new one. The optimism had to remain when expanding into a harsh desert in hopes it will be better than the other coast eventually. And individuals still hang on to some naive optimism because things the country accomplished in the past.

The facts are out there: Height affects nearly every part of your life. Short people complain about being dismissed or disrespected due to their height and the response is "lol height doesn't matter, stop complaining"

>But in the South, Texas, the coasts, and other places we have lost it.

Are you saying the South lost Puritanical social customs? Puritans settled en masse in New England, the South never had a large influx of settlers from any one particular religious sect and few for religious reasons outside of maybe the Moravians

It looks like shit, not very pleasant to read

that's just a stereotype that southerners tend to be very braggadicious. I know that many in the south are humble (but remember they got a lot of Scots, who are not known for being reserved)

Competing professionally is one thing. But a fit 5'10 person would still blow away an unhealthy 6'4 person.

but we're talking about people deciding on what to devote significant portions of their life to, and put all their hopes and dreams towards
obviously you shouldn't encourage a short person to be a swimmer, where they will only find failure