The last kingdom

why aren't you talking about the trvest medieval kino on Sup Forums right now?

what do you think will happen to the princess? i hope he gets DANED and cucks the retarded handsome boi.

I already read the books and the writer tends to drag things out all the time. Is the show any better?

Uthred son of Uthred will save the princess duh.

i feel like lots of things happen every episode, it's like season 1 and 2 vikings. haven't read the books so can't properly compare. it satisfies my 90s sword adventure show hunger mostly.

cause it came out like a million years ago

>MY NAME IS UTHRED SON OF UTHRED

Every fucking episode.

This show has the dumbest protagonist you can find on a non-comedy show. Its hilarious how much of a fuck up Uthred is.

The show was alright. I hated the drone shots tho, like the ones where he was riding his horse and it would change to take from a drone that's following him from above. That looked so bad and they do it several times.

you mean last night? season 2 is on literally now.

eh i guess, will he take her concubine? i want to see how they humiliate the pretty boy.

One thing that's bugging me, in the books he wasn't a manlet and nearly as stupid.

dude i watched the first season like a year ago. how am i supposed to remember any of the shit that happened during that season. i mean a second season at this point is just stupid

Athered will be humiliated by having Uthred son of Uthred save his wife. As a bonus, Alfred will trust Uthred son of Uthred again since he saves his daughter.

The thing I dislike about the show is that Uthred son of Uthred never has a worthy adversary.

>81872825
alos didnt he have like a super hot brunette and then he was like fuck it
also i remember a redhead girl he grew up with and she just disappears for the rest of the season

i actually like how retarded he is. he's a character that would die in game of thrones in an instant, but survives thanks to plot armor. i like this, because i don't like the muh realism meme.

i'm liking the current dane brothers, shame they wasted his uncle and that other dane dude with the one eyed retard son.

the redhead is back, looks like a necromancer and has wolves.

this dude was goat

The red head was the qt he was set up with. He left her because he was shamed in front of her by having to humber himself before a religion he doesn't believe in and the fact that she wanted to baptise their son into it. The brunette was from when he was a dane.

this user is right, i was thinking of his sister who's also a redhead he grew up with.

Dumbass, Son of Dumbass is the best part of the show. It's annoying at first but becomes endearing the more the show goes on.

This. Best viking on the show and that other viking show.

>uhtred is a bad character

This is the worst fucking meme I have ever seen

He's the best character ever

He doesn't give a fuck. He's chaotic neutral, he wants the land that is his birthright, he wants women to fuck, he sure is she isn't going to be an obnoxious religious extremist, and a bit of wealth. He's a little bit wild from being brought up by Danes.

he's fucking hilarious. I can't understand how anyone can't like him unless they can't appreciate chaotic neutral characters

The thing that annoys me about this show is fucking Alfred. Fucking Odda literally tells him that he treats Uthred way too poorly and all Alfred can do it make it worse. Does he realise that if he treated Uthred better he'd actually be loyal and not ready to jump ship every time an alternate offer came along?

these. he reminds me of xena somehow. it's also interesting how you mentioned chaotic neutral, because he also sometimes feels like a player character, with all the variety in his entourage.

Wrong.

close though

>threaten to imprison a man's brother to force him to swear an oath to you
>treat him like a traitor at every opportunity despite him doing nothing but good things
>he starts to get offended
>treat him even worse
alfred is retarded in his own special way. his wife is a cunt. 10/10 daughter though, would wife.

disappointed the nun is all boring again
Beocca is a ledge though

Sharpe >>>>>>> The Last Kingdom

same author

There are a lot of changes in the show for pacing and just generally to make it suitable for television.

Events and characters get shifted around or merged and the personalities of a lot of the characters have been heavily altered. Uthred himself is something of a hothead antihero who frequently does stupid or bad things.

But, its worth watching.

People aren't used to having an antihero as the protagonist, or if not an antihero then someone who is not necessarily a person you're meant to admire or even like.

I feel like I'm playing Mount and Blade when I watch this show

There's even a Mount and Blade Viking DLC which feels heavily derivative of these novels specifically.

Vikings is trash full of trash tropes and cliches

True but I like the battles in Vikings they're fun. They weren't very good last season though, not enough.

Just finished the latest episode

>That tracking shit

Holy FUCKING banana balls now that was some serious fucking kino right there

>if he treated Uthred better

How? Uthred has made it difficult for him to do so. You have to remember he is King. Kings don't lower themselves to their subjects level, as it would ruin their all powerful image. He would obviously love it if Uthred was more loyal, but everytime Alfred starts to believe in him, he does something stupid and makes Alfred look like a jackass for trusting him. Uthred's whole deal with wanting his birth right is also an issue. Alfred knows he will always push that issue and his loyality will always be in question because of it. Is he fighting for me because he thinks it to be right, or because he thinks I will help him win is land back? Uthred doesn't realize that helping him win "his" land back doesn't help Alfred or anyother ruler, and his only value is in his warfare abilities.

Meant2write tracking shot of course LOL

Seriously the whole scene was nearly Children of men-tier not even memeing

Yeah it was really well done, gave a great feeling of the chaos of battle. I think this series is better than the first in all honesty.

Would you drink of the bitter waters, Sup Forums?

I was playing Brytenwalda MOD when Season 1 aired. Shit was so cash, especially when they Uthdumb just decides to form a Band with Bro Leofric and raid Cornwall for shits and giggles.

what's the difference between chaotic good and chaotic neutral?

one is good and the other is neutral

good acts for the people
neutral acts for themselves

Now they just have to get rid of that fucking gayass mascara on Uthred lel

Also i counted two instances of non-white extras being used, one of them was a literal nigger (when they travel to saxon-occupied lands you can see him sitting in front of the cabin with the others and shit)

Chaotic Good would be interested in fighting for a just cause, just perhaps willing to break rules to do it (Jack Bauer)

Chaotic Neutral is more interested in themselves and what benefits them, and don't really care about the law. But they're not outright evil

I hated it because the MC went through four love interests in the first season. I'd rather they keep that shit out because it makes him look like an indecisive faggot. I know it doesn't make sense that I'm calling an alpha male who fucks tons of women a faggot, but he isn't just pump and dumping, he's constantly in the flirty stage of a relationship and opening up to every woman he sees. He's such a fucking faggot Gary Stu

He's a man of passions m8, he knows how to seduce

So he's a womaniser who cant keep his dick in his pants and falls for numerous different women. So what?

A lot of men are actually like that user.

he is a medieval chad, let him bed any woman he can.

>this woman is 40 years old
goddammit.

>constantly in the flirty stage of a relationship and opening up to every woman he sees

sounds like me

I've just accepted that the jews have won and that everything will be fully pozzed, I just try and enjoy the battles like the autist I am

IMDB lists her as only appearing in 8 episodes

Is she going to die during the season finale next week bros?

so which one is the reluctant (anti)hero?

She's a plot device to get alfred hating mercianshit

The season only has 8 episodes

And no she won't die because she was historically instrumental, along with others, in unifying England

both, but chaotic good is more likely.

also because she's the most attractive woman on the show and it is best to keep her in as long as possible.

It's not that I don't get those things. Also for Alfred it truly is an issue of faith.

My problem with the relationship between them is that Alfred still hasn't learned anything about how to handle Uthred in the ~10 (?) years they've known each other. Without lowering himself to Uthred's level, he might show him some respect, the same way he does Odda or his other Aeldormen, and that respect would go a long way. Fuck knows Uthred has done plenty of things that deserve respect.

To me it they kind of feel like those two characters who are only kept apart by """"misunderstandings"""" which could be cleared up with some frank conversations.

Yet despite his massive plot armor, Uthred (and many other characters in the series) feel more realistic and human than any of the "realism-anyone-can-die-lol" Meme-Characters in GOT. Why is this?

Also: Father Beocca is great, flips of nordic throat-biters for the lord

yeah, i'm glad beocca got a waifu

Is the new season out yet?

They killed my favorite character at the end of Season 1 and I felt like the season was already getting a little weak towards the end so I just left it there, is the second one any better?
I enjoyed the first season initially but it started to drop off, not sure if that was just due to the MC feeling too mary sue-ish or what.

6 episodes in
i remember kinda losing interest in the last season, this season feels way more fun, but it could be because i'm watching it week-by-week and not binging it this season. uthred son of uthred is still a mary sue though.

I might give it a shot if it's fun again. It'll be harder to enjoy it without Leofric though, he was easily my favorite part of the series. Was much easier to enjoy the MC when he was on dumb brosome adventures with him.

She'll be raped and killed and Alfred will blame Mercia for taking her to the battle camp.

I think it's Americlaps that hate uthred. They can't watch anything unless the main character is consistently portrayed as an unfallible hero.

>Is she going to die during the season finale next week bros?
No you idiot, Aethelflaed was an actual figure who lived into the 900s

Agreed. It didn't really fit in with the usual director's style, but it was masterfully done.

they wouldn't dare get rid of my waifu.
he has some fun companions this season. there was a warrior nun but she became boring, there's a fun irish dude, a giant warrior type, a few others too.

What kind of bothers me is how long they're dragging out uhtred getting his land back. From what I can tell it's 1 shitty fort in the middle of nowhere, how on earth would uhtred not have used his connections to take it back by now I don't know.

Sharpe was held back by budget limitations (the Battle of Waterloo looked pathetic t.b.h.) Also the action scenes looked staged and tame. TLK is better in both respects.

Totally wasted this guy. Skorpa could have done great things in this show.

>9th century
>medieval
come on now

fuck me, that's well old

yes, early middle ages is still medieval. how do you falsely define medieval user?

Part of that is Alfred, and later Aethelflaed, keep tricking him into taking more oaths for longer service.

But it stupid. His brother-in-law is the king of Northumbria and owes him a massive favour. Getting my land back would be the first thing on my list.

My MA in Medieval History allows me to define it however I wish.

I miss Halig, but I think Uhtred's "new" crew is keeping up the pace well. The Irish guy is neat and Sihtric's grown on me. I keep expecting the big guy to eat an arrow but he keeps surprising me.

>i have a degree in computing therefore the binary system is base 4
>i have a degree in chemistry, so the only four elements are fire, water, earth and air
social sciences man, literally no standards as evident by you.

yeah seriously, i can't believe the big guy survived this far, i'm sure he'll die before the season ends though.

>its an uhtred fucks every woman in the show episode

>it's a uhtred is told not to defile a pure woman and does so anyway and with ease episode
Honestly can see why people hate him so much

>I keep expecting the big guy to eat an arrow but he keeps surprising me.

You just know that one, some or all of Uthred's posse are going to snuff it in the final episode. Like the Leofric deal in Series 1. Muh bittersweet ending, and all that ...

Uthred represents what a true warlord could behave like in those times and i love the show for that, but hes weak compared to book Uthred

how much does it stick to the books? how are the books any different? there's too many for me to attempt to read them, plus i've a huge read-list as it is.

checkd

Books have slower pace and also go more indepth on the plot, the slave rescue for example is kinda different in tone.

The books are kinda short, each having like 240 ish pages and they can be entertaining.

checkd back my friend

i doubt i'll have the time read any, but good to know, thanks.

Steapa goat

HOLY SHTI

Why do they keep Beocca as a priest, didn't he break his vow by marrying?

I watched S1 and enjoyed it, watched first 2 episodes of S2 and really disliked it. Worth carrying on?

Kek. His fucking eyeliner kills me. Does the make up department think they are being subtle?

Apples and oranges m8.

>tfw haven't seen any episodes of the second series yet

I'd miss Leofric

>buttpirate kills woman who wants to have sex with him

>ywn be the man he always hoped you would become
As someone with daddy issues, this line killed me

>pride and prejudice zombies

Oh yeah I remember her.

She has obviously served her purpose, and now it's time for him to leave with the treasure. Money before bitches, remember that.

TRULY WESSEX'S CHAMPION

He isn't stupid, just young and naive. He made the same mistakes in the books, but he gets shrewder and wiser beyond warfare throughout the series

>What kind of bothers me is how long they're dragging out uhtred getting his land back
book reader here, if thats annoying for you you should drop the show right now

The show makes him a little weaker/more SJW

For example when Alfred first comes to his estate to check on how the burh's building is progressing he asks Uhtred why is the burh in his estate being made so much quicker than in the other parts of Wessex. Uhtred responds with something like "I hanged the first 10 people that were fucking around and not working"