Tfw switching degrees to study film

>tfw switching degrees to study film
Have any of you been to film school?
Am i making a terrible decision?

change your last name to a precious metal

Why the fuck would you spend all that money. Use it to buy books on film and make movies you retard

>film school
enjoy your worthless degree, wasted years, and student loan debts

I've been to schwifty school to get my szechuan degree from there

Strong recommend ;)

i got a real degree and i still enjoy those things because i'm lazy af

Don't just study film you stupid fuck. Actually learn the trade. I'm going for a DFVP degree, digital, film and video production. You'll be able to work freelance jobs, television or movie production if you're lucky

at least you could get a real job and fix that
not the case with a fiLm school degree

Go to films

this

depends on if you have made enough money to do something only 1% of graduates can make money with.

There is no need to go to film school today though because all of that information can be found online.
Film school today is only valuable for the access to the expensive equipment and some connections, that's it really.

But you don't need the best equipment to make a decent film. You can always go to local workshops/festivals/presentations/small premieres etc and make connections yourself. Also Internet.
Film school will not just give you all the connections just like that, if you aren't active about it you will end up in the same place where you started, just with a useless degree. It only gives you a bit easier access to start your connections.

i didn't go to film school, i went to the films

It would be more productive sitting at home studying films and making your own to submit to festivals then switching to that worthless degree.

It's film practice, it's mostly practical training with some theory

This nigga knows what's up. I'm doing the same, but my schooling is covered by grants so I never had to pay a dime.

Even started a film club on campus to help with networking and just to have a place to shoot the shit about movies.

>not living in a country with free college
3rd worlders not welcome desu

>free college that no one in the world wants to go to
kek

>living in a country with free college

so youre literally paying for other peoples worthless film degrees with your tax money kek

Absolutely worth it

>I would rather pay for the tax cuts of billionaires and endless wars on the middle east than some poor fuck going to college
OH SAY CAN YOU SEE

Take advantage of the gear you have in your disposal & try to network with people and work on their projects and invite them to work on your projects.

Most likely some of your theory lessons will be good, some absolutely terrible. If you're familiar with film theory already you might not learn that much from film school. Beware of teachers that try to brainwash you into one mould.

Be prepared for cringiness with other students and with yourself as well. Everyone is extremely insecure (you included) but they're pretending to be confident and they think they're right even when they aren't. Learn to take criticism and giving it, most people can't deal with it well and will start petty fights about stupid shit.

Like I said first, take advantage of the gear and do shit. It will suck every time, but you will get incrementally better and better, even though you don't see it. If you get sad over failing, you just have to learn to deal with it. This was one of the hardest things for me. The core problem is that even if you have good taste and can recognize what makes a great movie great, it will take shit ton of TIME and WORK to actually pull it off yourself. Also learn to do the shitty, "boring" jobs well. Everyone wants to be a director in film school but very few want to do the jobs that seem less glamorous on paper. This will also give you job opportunities. If you know how to light, how to operate, how to color grade, whatever, someone else will likely invite you on their project. And that project will almost surely suck, but it'll be a learning experience for you.

im not american you fucking retard

Screencapped for future reference, thanks pham.
You sound like you've been, have you managed to get into the industry?

This.

It's the same like any artform really, no matter how much you know in theory all of your first work will be shit. There is no avoiding it.
And you just have to power through all of your shit and by doing that you learn the most.

>worthless degree
I have no idea what you're talking about. I've gotten plenty of good paying jobs thanks to my degree.

>tfw film student and have to make a short film but have no idea what to write about

Make a short, silent film of you struggling to write something. It's in black and white, of course. You drink from your glass of whiskey and scratch out what's on your paper. You try to write again, but then cross it out once more. You drink much more deeply this time.You're visibly frustrated by this time. After a third idea written out you scribble it out in anger before finishing your drink and leaving the room. The camera slowly moves in towards the paper to see what was written. The top says "Ideas for Short Film Project" and below can have any ideas of your choice crossed out with increasing fury.

sure you do, lad

>"""study""" film

Life is meaningless do what you want to do

That's not bad.
This has been filmed before, hasn't it?

I do. I worked on the sound design of a film shown at TIFF.

>sound design
>for one film
great career you got there

Make films

Just start making films

Film studies is for people looking to break into the career somehow with something to put on their resume, and only then do they end up working for someone. Instead, you could start making films non-stop and submit them to film festivals or try to create some sort of e-fame with a cult following (if you're lucky, theres an oversaturation of e-celebs) that eventually turns into a film production if you have enough business knowledge, Freddie Wong is a good example as he made Rocket Jump productions from his youtube channel

Either that or right place at the right time, its not about what you know its who you know etc just hope you know someone already in the industry

You'd be hard pressed to think of something that's never been filmed before.

I never said that was the only thing I've done. The sound design paid damn good and it wasn't much work.

You have to know how to compose your shots, proper editing, lighting.
Don't be one of those people who think buying a DSLR makes them a movie buff

Anglos are equally terrible

You seem like a cynical faggot. I'm sure he's doing better than you. Fuckin loser

How old were you when you earned your first million smartypants?

to be fair, Freddie did have great skills in video editing that helped his quality of films

What im trying to say is, to start in the film industry, you just got to start from scratch and work your way up like a full time hobby

You have to network. That's what my teacher has told me time and time again. I'm in the internship phase of my degree and I've made friends with the right people so I atleast have my foot in the door. Have a few job offers from television studios. Nothing from major film studios but you're right you gotta start from the bottom

Make it about a trouble CIA agent looking for meaning in a world of Big guys

>in a world of big guys
>one man dared to be small
>coming this July, for you

hit close to home, mate?

Nah, you just sound like a whiny bitch

What country and if France what school ?

you'll end up learning about archaic and derivative ideologies used in some of today's most drab and safe Hollywood movies. Not to say you wont learn anything useful, either.

>free college

that doesn't exist you idiot, you still have to pay it back in taxes

johnny diamond doesnt sound that good though

>says the one throwing a tantrum
i'm sure your employment history is just as impressive

What's your occupation bud.

>networking
you neglect the fact that 99 percent of Sup Forums are shut ins, that advice is useless here

software developer

That's true. I'm pretty social but being on here since 2006 has definitely affected my social skills. I've gotten enough job offers tho that I don't have to worry

Lmao those in glass houses..

t. unemployed

Nope. Deposition videographer. Make anything from 200-350 per hour. Job offers never stop in that field

>Film school

If you wanna do film, learn it yourself, make a shit load of short films with local shitty actors and your friends, and then take that 30k you're about to blow on a useless degree and use it instead to make a feature once you think you're developed enough to justify it.

You'll probably still fail but you'll look like less of a moron.

If you insist on majoring in film, I implore you to double major in film and then something else that's actually fucking useful. Film is easy as shit and if you go a summer or two you can easily get another major completed.

8 years old. My family was shot by a mugger in an alleyway

>average

I didn't go to film school. I went to films.

>implying anyone who frequents a place like this is anything but

see

that's an odd way to see yourself

says the one lying about his salary

Whatever you say pal cheers!

Yes. Yes you are.

What's going on here. What's... What's going on here?

I went to film school with the famous director Quentin Tarantino

All these people who say "just do it yourself!!!" are retards

Like many college degrees the real value comes in networking and making contacts in the field you're looking to get work in.

im going for communications this fall, which is more the grunt work of film making vs the art of film making
still not sure if its the eight move but it seems more grounded then film school or theater work. I also dont have the nepotism to fuck around making movies without worrying about job security
in my experience, the film school students either had that, or were the typical art school kids just the ones who are going to school for painting or dance. Some might make it, most wont so im picking something a bit more focused.
You can always get into film making later, and you really dont need a degree to do most of it. its better to pick a stable job in relation to that first and then branch out IMO

but I dont know, ill see what happens this time next year

so what else have you done and did you find your degree really worth it?

Engurland
I was going to study art in Montpellier but i couldn't afford it and realised i hate the art world, hence the switch to film

Yes.

I could be wrong, but I think you can probably just search rudimentary film texts / syllabuses online and read it all.

Then watch every movie you're ever interested in.

And invest that 20 000 + in lighting and cameras.

Film school is for connections from what i've heard. It helps you get a foot in the industry network, but if you work hard enough in making your own content and being social it'd probably be fine.

>Able to finance own projects
>Have 4 years to work on them independently instead of study
>Hand in a dozen well produced short films instead of a diploma.

Ofc a film degree would require projects as well, but still.

But user, film is Art

Only you know whether it's a terrible decision or not.

Shot plenty of commercials which have appeared on television and YouTube. Directed three short films, one was quite well received at a festival, the other two are garbage. I was part of the 2nd unit for Homeland season 3 and Better Call Saul season 1. Done plenty of sound design and helped kickstart a film.

I can't answer if it's worth it. The experience of film school is good, you'll meet plenty of people there and you expand your network. I've been asked if I had a degree once, they always look at what you've done in the past.

You pay for billionaires AND cucks' useless liberal arts degrees though.

And now you're paying for "refugees" to live for free while raping young women and not going to jail.

Lmao

>not switching degrees to study kino

Sup Forums has a bunch of topics to make a film about

I guess Sup Forums's tour de force is the loner. The guy who has given up on life and only social interaction is with people online. Sad but comfortable existence

who have you met and are right?

there are film making courses at my university, but also more trade/skill courses and im trying to decide which is more worthwhile

I'll take an extra cheeseburger with my meal, OP.

>t. amerifat

chasing unrealistic hopes and dreams is what your Minor is for, OP. Major is something that will give you a wide array of skills that can be applied to many different high paying jobs that are in demand.

why don't you just live on welfare and make amateur films without any budget? Why? Because you don't believe in ur skills

>who have you met
People you probably have never heard of. One A list celebrity I have worked with is Jonathan Banks, who plays Mike in Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul.

The two user's are right in some way. I recommend you learn the craft, and see what else you want to learn. I'll advice you to take some masterclasses, Werner Herzog has made a very good one.

Crongrats on your success but your story is really just anecdotal evidence. For every one like you there are hundreds if not thousands of film school graduates working at Papa Johns or driving for Uber. Pursuing a film school degree is a terrible life decision for most people that do it, and the reality is that your are just using this thread to stroke your own ego and brag about how *YOU* were the one shining star that actually made it work.

>your are just using this thread to stroke your own ego
Yeah right. I make a decent living and like what I do, but I have never been much of an important part of the crew. Get good connections and you could end up like me.

>this one guy is successful at something Sup Forums dreams of doing
>lets chastise him for it rather then ask for advice so we dont end up at papa johns oursevles

fuck off back to bane posting, these are some of the better threads we have on Sup Forums