Daily Japanese Thread - DJT

Japanese language learning thread.

Read the Guide linked before asking how to learn Japanese:
djtguide.neocities.org/
Check the Cornucopia of Resources before asking where do download X or Y:
djtguide.neocities.org/cor.html

Previous thread: Archive of older threads: desuarchive.org/int/search/subject/Daily Japanese Thread/

少女に心を引付けられた

Other urls found in this thread:

nhentai.net/g/48073/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I miss the thread numbers
on the other hand they don't really make that much sense anymore with threads constantly dying somewhere after 100 posts

可哀想女の子

nhentai.net/g/48073/

It's #1930. But yes, there's little point to numbering them.

Why did you people try to keep me away from Sakubi?

I would take her all in positions.

I'd take you in all positions.

Please do.

出来る!!

ううん

出来まっしょ!

Bookmarked, thanks!

Oops, meant to quote and post a screenshot of a different bookmarks page, but my delusions are fucking me up.

They're insecure. Use whatever you like.

E

Genki is getting progressively less genki.

>listens to the Japanese language tape

Ah, that text really was first published quite a long time ago.

What's the japanese equivalent of all-caps?

カタカナズクメデカクノダ

Genki truly is a waste of time and money. It's a reddit meme; I think that speaks volumes.

It speaks volumes about your autism.

Read the last page of the Genki textbook before you talk shit, Shinji.

One page out of 700, how will I ever learn Japanese?

It has been a long time since I used it, but thought it was good overall. What's the issue with the last page? A scan would be particularly appreciated, if possible.

>Money
>Actually buying the thing
Even fucking reddit don't mind pirating it. They usually go apeshit when you pirate games.

Sup Forums is killing /djt/

Back to /jp/ I go.

quit!

I think we should maybe keep the numbering. Removing an (almost) unbroken tradition going back years feels wrong. We should honor our ancestors who died on the battlefield under the overwhelming power of dekinai-chan, and this helps us remember everything we went though as survivors. Removing it would also be fodder for /jp/'s DJT to say they're the ''real version'' be virtue of them keeping up with the numbering.

>/djt/
You should go back, we don't need any newfags like you around here.

What is everyanon reading/watching/playing at the moment?

Hardcore stuff, I know.

Don't do your reps today

I'm doing like her, preparing for my suicide.

Anyone got the source for the manga in OP pic?

Nothing, just trying to keep my As in school. After work tomorrow, though, it'll finally be Thanksgiving break. I'll be able to read a lot next week.

To that point, anybody got any recommendations for someone taking the N2 in December?

I got up at 6AM and studied for an exam at 1, and didn't get home and get my reps done until 8:30. It feels so strange, I haven't gone a day without doing my reps in the morning for many months...

As an adverb, what is the difference between the two? Also why does the Noun, No-adjective definition for 結局 point to 結局のところ if Jisho only shows the latter as being an Expression or Adverb?

That has happened to me in the past, and sometimes was surprised that the switch-up in the time of day I did my reps actually gave me better retention, but only for a few days, which would force me to go back to my previous, more ''stable'' time. It make me wonder if it wouldn't be better to switch every 3 days, and alternate between morning, midday and evening after each 3 day block. I'll try it soon and post results.

My retention was slightly below average today, but I'd imagine the sleep deprivation and stress had an impact on it as well.

Well that's still a fairly recent meme, and it still doesn't excuse you saying ''/djt/''. If anything it proved that you actually are a newfag that belongs on /jp/.

Kudos. It only took you 9 minutes to google the scratches meme, which was fairly obscure even when it was fresh. Do tell, what was it about again?

Well I'm not falling for that roundabout way to get someone to explain memes for you, especially when you already exposed yourself so badly. Weren't you supposed to go back to /jp/?

新しい句を学んだ: 「油を売る」

犬猿の仲
「いぬさる」ではなく「けんえん」と読みます

犬猿の仲の例外

Anyone know a good site I can see the stroke order for each Kanji in a sentence I would enter?

I saw her in a Japanese CM.Who's She?
どういう意味?

fool around [about]
loaf around [about]
shoot the breeze

not ”selling oil”

中国語に加油っていうのもあるよね

How should ~てしまう be used with the suffering passive?

From what I've read, ~てしまう can convey that the agent did something they shouldn't have or regrets doing. So it seems logical that I'd use it any time I used a suffering passives, but that's probably wrong.

カバンを盗まれました my bag was stolen
カバンを盗まれてしまった my bag was stolen

What's the difference between those two sentences? Does the second convey a stronger sense of suffering? Or does it remove ambiguity about whether someone is suffering or not (for verbs that are less direct than "steal")?

this is where Tae Kim actually fucks up a bit
~てしまう is not just about regretting stuff, but also and pretty often more about the finality of an action which can't be taken back

カバンを盗まれてしまった
basically says my bag was stolen (and it's gone for good/I can't get it back)

それ暗澹ものみたいなぁw

What's the difference between 閉める and 閉じる?

almost the same meaning
but when closing a book , dont use "本を閉める"

ドアを閉める、ドアを閉じる both are ok
窓を閉める、窓を閉じる both are ok
本を閉じる ok、本を閉める not ok
口を閉じる ok、口を閉める less commonly

>the finality of an action which can't be taken back
Excellent English explanation.

>difference between 閉める and 閉じる?
Good question. I am really about to tell you there is no difference.
But according to my personal sensation 閉じる sounds like being accompanied with real action, while 閉める sounds like expressing speaker's subjective feeling.

e.g
"Close one's eyelids"
まぶたを閉じる:Correct
まぶたを閉める:Wrong

"Close down the shop"
店を閉じる:OK
店を閉める:More OK
(but "店を閉じる" sounds like just closing the shop temporarily for their closing time)

ありがとう

今日もまた
スカンジナビアのゲイスレに
大島薫の
画像を投げ入る

the ways of using 閉める and 閉じる are confusing.
I guess my ancestors randomly decided which to use.

turn off the faucet 蛇口を閉める
close the shop 店を閉める
close the eyes 目を閉じる/目を瞑る
fold the umbrella 傘を閉じる/傘を畳む

How can people diss Romaji or call it unimportant when it's the most common way of typing Japanese? So I've read quite a few people on the internet disparaging Romaji, saying that it's not worth putting much time into. Well my response is this: how can you say learning Romaji is unimportant when it's the most common way of typing Japanese?

I'm kinda stuck on what 承知おき(ください) means, particularly the おき part. Is it just a contraction of 承知しておく?

In the case you need some context, it was from a tutorial of a VN

I don't think anyone dismisses Romaji as unimportant in the case of typing shit on an English keyboard but in the end, the end display of Japanese text will almost always be Kana. Getting used to reading or thinking in Romaji is, to be honest, putting yourself in a crutch. Besides, Romaji is learned at the same time you learn the kana anyway and it is one of the very first things you learn and is only a very miniscule part of Japanese learning so it shouldn't take that long to "learn" it.

All I'm hearing is you trying to rationalise not learning kana and kanji.

how much time should i invest on Anki if i plan to travel to japan on december 2018 - january 2019?

besides anki, is there anything else you recommend?

I cry inside whenever someone who is white tells me that they are unironically learning japanese. Fucking kill yourself you useless cunt.

hello fellow redditor

Depends on what you are going to do there. Are you just going to have a vacation there? If so, is it the common tourist spots? Or do you want to go on a more adventurous trip and mesh with the locals?

But first, what is your skill level now?

How easy is it to sell a guitar in Japan?
How do I say "used goods store", or "musical instrument store"?

Thanks.

>目・口や本・傘などは「閉じる」、引き出し・門などは「閉める」を使うことが多い。

Maybe it's because 閉める has the connotation of "making tight". You really need to make sure a door or faucet is tight, while for eyes, mouth, or a book you just let it fall into a shut position.

i was planning on going to a winter school in a Japanese university (but the lectures will probably be in english)
but i wanted to learn japanese to be able to talk to the locals

i studied a little when i was younger but i don't remember much. i also already know hiragana and katakana

>承知おき
A same case as "お見知りおき(お見知り置き)"
which means "to make your acquaintance (and hopefully keep me in your memory for long time)"

>contraction of 承知しておく?
you can think so...

>"used goods store",
"Hard off". But they would pay less than you expect.
>"musical instrument store"
"楽器屋(Gakkiya)"

>"making tight"
"締める"

OK, against my theory is that you say 戸が閉じる. But I guess doors naturally fall shut while gates and drawers require some human effort to close.

So that would mean back to basics. It would be best if you first hit a grammar book of your choice and get your initial vocabulary there. From there, you can decide on how you will learn ("add") new words (either by mining or just use the Anki deck's order of introduction). For the speed, unforunately, only you can determine how fast you are introducing new words. It's recommended that you don't add too many new words to avoid being burnt out.
I don't know much about learning oral skills, as I don't give it a priority, so I'll let the others fill you in with that. But given all that, don't expect to hold a conversation beyond the basic topics by the time limit. A year isn't that much, especially if studying Japanese isn't the only thing you do in life.

thanks friend

i have a couple of friends who already speak japanese (they learnt from their families), i guess they can help me later with pronunciation

Thanks. Jisho didn't have an entry to that and thanks to the related phrase you gave, I got the sense of the original expression.

Keep your retardation on reddit. We don't need anymore here.

Bump

にほんごを
まなぶがいじん
わたしすき
とはいうものの
あなたではない

うわー、失礼

I can't help but wonder if there might be some more fun ways to learn Japanese.

For example, I can imagine that listening to Japanese dialogue in movies might be a thing, once you have some basic understanding, but what would it take to work with Japanese dialogue in movies this way? Would Japanese subtitling would be helpful (or perhaps it won't).

Is it possible to learn (some) Japanese by speech alone, or would the omission of learning Japanese writing be a bad idea?

If Japanese language make use of Chinese characters, and if those tend to be difficult to understand, how does Japanese television writers include such type of language? Do they extrapolate on any basic idea that otherwise might stem from some single written Chinese character/symbol?

りゅうちょうに
びしょうじょしかる
ふぃんあのん
よくみてみなよ
そいつしーじー

I went through the same process of denial. There is no easy way to learn japanese, that's why fluent japanese is so rare, even though so many people are into anime and manga. You wont be able to learn how to listen if you don't know the words and grammar, and you will only learn the words and grammar if you put in the effort and learn kanji and kana. No way around it.

>Is it possible to learn (some) Japanese by speech alone
Unless you're a kid and Japanese would be your first human language, then no.

Use the Finnish method.

in my heart I'm a japanese loli, does this count?

What's the finnish method? Watch 3000 hours of anime, play 5000 hours of VN and learn by osmosis?

Sorry, but your brain needs to be, too

You have to actually put in the beginning effort of learning fundamental grammar and vocab, and then also struggling with even the easiest of native material, but after a while you'll still struggle with native material, but you can also enjoy it.

Saying "study Japanese for 3 hours every day" might sound unreasonable, but when 30 minutes of that Anki (actual effort, but can become a habit), 30 minutes is maybe spent googling grammar points, and 2 hours is spent reading something you actually enjoy, it's only like an hour of real effort.

おいcunts
過去二年間で日本語を習いていない
いまからジャップ豚でしゃべるつもりある
fuckingよろしく,weebたちfuckingcunts

>しゃべるつもりある
この喋り方する外人って実在したんだ。
凄いことですよこれは。

氏ね

10000 hours of anime.

Cool I already got 3 hours down...

I'm playing visual novels. How do visual novels make you feel, Australia?

dif user here
just started into studying since a few days ago
approx how long until i'm reading Monobeno?