People who DIDN'T like The Force Awakens, why didn't you like it?

The most common complaint is that "The Force Awakens" basically repeats "A New Hope" but while that kinda annoyed me it didn't really make me dislike the movie.

What pissed me off more was how reliant the movie was on nostalgic moments. Every few minutes it basically shouted at you "Here, remember that from the original trilogy?" instead of developing something new within the universe. I felt like they were more concerned with making a movie that pleases the fans than with actually making a good movie. It's as if they made the movie with a list of demands that had to be met at all costs. I know a lot of Star Wars fans that loved the movie exactly because of that but I am simply not that much into the franchise so to me all these scenes fell flat.

Rey and Finn were interesting characters but their development was pushed away for Han's final arc. I think the movie would've been better off without him at all. He is too important to the series to function as a side character in the movie.

All these Marvel-esque quips flying around bugged me as well. It felt kinda inappropriate in a story that wanted to be emotional and serious.

In the end TFA felt to me like a well-made movie that was so afraid of failing that it actually became boring in the end.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/RjG61DoDzN8
youtube.com/watch?v=_DByPy8aEPw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

This is basically Disney
>Beauty and the Beast
>TFA
>The entire MCU
they play it safe and have no original thought

Once Ray got to the space bar it got so boring I kinda fell asleep. From that point on nothing mattered. The plot began to crawl. All momentum was lost.

Didn't find the development of the universe/characters to be believable. Doesn't feel canon, feels like fanfiction. Jot that down, Disney exec.

it isnt engaging or as briskly paced as a New Hope.

Its like that scene for scene Psycho remake to me. You cant capture lightning in a bottle twice.

Finn ruined it for me. I could forgive a lot of the faults of the movie, but his character was such a waste. A PTSD stormtrooper was unlike any character we've ever seen in a Star Wars movie and he had so much potential. Instead, the movie decided to use him as a way over-the-top comic relief character. They really didn't need a comic relief, because they had Han doing his usual thing and that was more than enough. Not to mention that Hans lines were funny and Finn's were mostly just obnoxious.

Not to mention after he laid eyes on Rey for the first time, it felt like his only motivation for doing anything was pussy. Like, if there was even a slight chance to get in her pants, he'd blow up the damn Star-Killer base.

I couldn't connect with the protagonists. Rey was annoying, and Finn's backstory and character contrast were perplexing. I would have thought I'd have felt something when Han died, a character I'd known for 25 years, but I didn't give a shit; it all felt like fan-fiction.

Money > originality it seems. Not long before Hollywood collapses.

it was a remake

rey is ugly

rey's character was insanely over powered it was hilarious and made nothing matter

I hate it because it's basically a Star Wars movie made for specifically for the outspoken and bitter OT only fans who hate both the prequels and the EU. It obliterates so much of what I had come to love about the Star Wars universe in a spiteful and hamfisted fashion and replaced it all with a timeline appears far less interesting.

every character tried to be a beba fett. and you can't make a boba fett.

it was bland.
they made another fucking deathstar...
a black storm trooper just seems inadvertently funny.
Super powerful sith gets his ass handed to him by an amateur.

>People who DIDN'T like The Force Awakens, why didn't you like it?
I'm done paying hollywood to force political opinions down my throat.

Women are not strong
Women are not heroes
Women are not determined or inspiring

They are verifiably, factually and demonstrably less intelligent, less inspired, less ingenious and less capable than men in almost every field. I am not now nor will I ever swallow the feminist pill of equality because the two genders very simply are not equal.

That is why I didn't like it. Because Rey was the protagonist. I don't want that, I don't need that and I have had enough of Star Wars in my life if that's the way the franchise is going.

GLIB

this

Some of the concepts were good but they messed up the execution. Take Captain Phasma for example. She would have been a good villain but they made her look weak. Finn had a good backstory but laughing as he killed his former comrades ruined that. Whoever wrote this film doesn't understand people. Also orange Yoma was a terrible character, the freighter scene felt out of place, and the light sabre and Poe plot holes should not have survived to the final draft.

The only movie that came out of Star Wars franchise that deserves all the praise is Empire Strikes Back. ANH is just an alright movie, everything else is complete shit or medicore at best. SW wouldn't be so revered nowdays if it wasn't for massive marketing storm and shilling.
Making a basic bitch regular Star Wars movie is equal to making a medicore movie.

Rey gains power far too quickly. I don't give a shit if the next film reveals she had her mind wiped. In the context of this film, she has no experience with the force and then she is magically using it within 5 minutes. Luke had to learn that shit. It took him an entire movie just to trust in the force and that allowed him to aim really well. Then he started using his saber and powers in the sequel but he was still inexperienced and fails multiple times, eventually losing a hand. It is only by the THIRD film is he truly proficient. Rey literally does all of that in a single afternoon, its fucking ridiculous.

Is there anything original about Star Wars.

Fucking hacks, the fans are fucking slaves.

>le everyone copied dune epic maymay

No one gives a fuck about fucking Dune

it's a generic piece of shit action movie that just happens to also be a star wars movie

i don't give a flying fuck about star wars but i dont understand how any actual star wars fans can possibly like this movie

>The most common complaint is that "The Force Awakens" basically repeats "A New Hope" but while that kinda annoyed me it didn't really make me dislike the movie.

>What pissed me off more was how reliant the movie was on nostalgic moments. Every few minutes it basically shouted at you "Here, remember that from the original trilogy?" instead of developing something new within the universe. I felt like they were more concerned with making a movie that pleases the fans than with actually making a good movie. It's as if they made the movie with a list of demands that had to be met at all costs.

You know you contradicted yourself, right?

> themes of incest

In the official story line, Luke and Leia were fucking, pic related has them rolling around on the ground while Vader looks on.

I've never watched a single Star Wars movie, but I want to make sweet passionate love to Desert Rey. And by sweet and passionate I mean dirty and rougher than a colonoscopy from an above the elbow amputee.

A New Hope is much slower and looser paced. The 1st or early 2nd act slows right down. The Force Awakens should have had a chunk of the 2nd act cut out so it wouldn't be so tight.

It was just a big pendulum swing in relation to the prequels
>too much politics and world building
>no politics or world building

>disregard for fan service
>all fan service

>new ideas and concepts but executed poorly
>no new ideas or concepts but executed well

>memorable
>not memorable

The embarrassing garbage writing

AND she'll probably fuck the black guy!
AND Leia was a career girl that didn't need no man!
AND the sexist macho fuck is DEAAAAAAD

>Had the subtlety of an MCU flick
>none of the main characters were likeable
>the spaceship dogfights were dogshit
>The freighter scene was awful
>no pacing
>no plot
>villains with weak motives
>Han's death was comical
>destroyed a bunch of classic planets
>stormtrooper designs were meh
Rey scavenging scenes, and the final lightsaber fight were the only decent parts, but even the fight was ruined with that stupid ground splitting apart bit

Men's rights manbaby detected. Cry more. Women are brave and powerful. Get over it.

A New Hope is one of the slowest dullest movies out there.

The OT in general had pretty terrible pacing.

How the fuck are the Hutts a ripoff of the Lynch/DeLaurentis depiction of the Spice Navigators? They aren't remotely the same. This is Warhammer-tier autism.

1. I dislike Finn, the man who was stolen from his parents and forced to kill wants to leave this all behind, quite literally immediately begins to murder other men and women no doubt stolen from their parents and forced to kill.
2. Boyega is not necessarily a bad actor but was directed horribly, far too much gurning and poorly delivered quips
3. I dislike Rey, for the reasons everyone has said a thousand times, it will of course turn out she's Space Jesus and that's why but it still makes for a shit character, who does not fail at anything
4. Daisey Ridley is a bad actor, she always delivers lines poorly, cannot stop gurning when trying to show emotion, has a very poor range.
5. The plot is far too similar to a new Hope
6. The Star killer base should not have been destroyed so easily and in this film
7. Han Solo and Chewbacca were painfully shoehorned in, they could have been used differently and better without being used as the exposition delivery.
8. Han Solos goosebumps monsters were fucking shit and dragged my ass out of the movie
9. Maz Kanata was a cgi character in a room full of practical effects and was shit, is older than yoda because needs to be, adds nothing except out the ass exposition, voiced by a young woman which was very jarring
10. JJ Abrams is a bad director who frames shots badly, directs actors badly, doesn't understand the universe, uses practical effects but tosses in ugly cgi which breaks immersion.
11. I can't be fucked to add any more but I really could keep going

>The OT in general had pretty terrible pacing.
YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH

Reason I don't like it? Ohhh boy!

-Rey is ugly and got the power to fast. 2min in she is the Jedi master and I don't even know who the fuck she. And she act bad as fuck!
-Finn ....just why have him in the movie? And they fucked the Stormtroopers thanks to him.
-Kyle Ren... EMO and ugly and not evil at all! Just the wrong guy for that roll. Maybe if he had his mask on 24/7 he might be OK... but still a dick... and too much wannabe Vader...
-Movie is nothing new...

I just hate it so much I hope JJ die and all that worked and came up with that shit!

He wasn't believable as a stormtrooper, so he was even less believable as a defecting one. Someone raised by the Empire would not talk or act like he did.

Rogue One did it so much better with the pilot defector

I feel like it's an unnessecary sequel.
All new characters besides John Boyega's are either weak or one dimensional.
The story is almost like A New Hope.

John Boyega is a pretty good actor outside of starshit, but yeah, Daisy doesn't seem too talented.

The huts control space in the original, as do the Space Guilds in Dune, they both are an entity to themselves but are not the Empire.

Star Wars even copied the "Luke I am your Father twist", Paul being a Harkonnen through his mother.

are these fuckers serious?

The flick was pandering millennial fodder.

Finn amounted to nothing.
Poe might as well not have existed, he was just a vehicle for blowing shit up at the end.

HOO BOY, MEANWHILE, REY, a monstrous mixing pot meant to represent Luke, Han and Leia all in one, leaving nothing for the other two "main heroes" of the new series. As much as I hate pasting this term, essentially the ultimate in irredeemably Mary Sue as a character can get. Loved and respected by everyone who doesn't even know her (Leia hug scene, although even Abrams admitted that was a total fuckup), in a matter of seconds despite no personality;
capable of one-hand noscoping trained soldiers from across a forest after learning how to use a gun after one missed shot;
Learns methods of the force that took Luke hard days of training, and with no guidance and only a basic understanding of the Jedi and the force;
On top of all this, she manages to be the focal point of the story but also doesn't fucking DO ANYTHING.

Besides that:
Dried Orange was a complete asspull designed to explain things because they can't write for shit.
Death Star 3.0 also felt like an asspull "eh we need a big bad gun thingy thats still safe and familiar".
Obtaining Luke's lightsaber from a gas giant seems pretty ridiculous, but its Star Wars, I'll let that slide.
Snoke looks stupid.

It's hard for me to enjoy a movie where i hate the main character.
I didn't even mind Kylo or Finn but Daisy can't act for shit and she has feminist super powers

Disney shills on suicide watch.

>Rogue One did it so much better with the pilot defector
Who? You don't mean Riz, right? Rogue One was shit.

>female protag
>nigger

Didn't watch it. Not interested.

Why did Leia and Rey hug? That was literally the first time they met each other.

Also, Chewbacca went and started celebrating with the resistance once he returned, shouldn't Rey have been celebrating and Chewie and Leia hugging? Did literally noone, not even the actors realize how big of a plot hole this is?

I just thought it was really gay. Like SJW equality shit. Black and women main characters because black lives matter and women's rights.

It's rather boring.

Watch these for true Star Wars kino:
youtu.be/RjG61DoDzN8

For epic feelz and lulz

Here's a list:

1. Reddit Dialogue
2. Reddit Acting
3. Unoriginal
4. Mary Sue main character
5. The beginning of the Star Wars universe featuring only female main protagonists
6. The redditors that like it on this board won't let people forget about it, same with BvS

I hope I cleared some things up for you.

Basically it does too little to stand on its own as a great film. If you don't know or don't care about OT characters the movie has very little to offer you. Not to mention it's written very blandly because it's setting up characters for the sequel. Imagine if Star Wars ended after ANH. It'd be a pretty decent ending, they saved the day but Darth Vader got away. Now imagine that TFA ends with no sequel planned. Finn is in a coma, we have no idea what's up with Luke, Maz Kanata set up plot points for nothing and a million other problems. ESB did this exact same thing but it was still a fantastic movie.
tl;dr They made entry level garbage to set up the next movie

>"Leia is desperate to find her brother Luke and gain his help in restoring peace and justice to the galaxy"
>They get the map to Luke
>Leia is no longer desperate and she sends Rey to go train with him instead
Piss poor writing that we're expected to forgive because of "muh emotions, muh characters".

This is only true of the Endor/space battle/throne room sequence in Return. And really, Endor is the only part of that that's dragging everything down.

You

You are what's wrong with the world

You are the problem

That movie was worse than the Attack of the Clones prove me i'm wrong

>same with BvS
Your opinions are now worthless. Kys fucking faggot cuck

Jyn Erso was boring and a dick, CGI Tarkin and Leia were hideous, edgy ending, Mads Mikkelsen was wasted again, Forest Whittaker died for no reason, quipping meme robot.

Only good part about Rogue One was Donnie Yen and the other Asian.

I'd rate it too much nigger, girl and jew/10

Sorry that we don't like a character with a talentless actor, and a character arc that is finished in the first movie of the trilogy

It's the difference, imo, between someone who can act and someone who tries to act.

You either have it or you don't.

Boyega, seems to have it, when he's talking. Just casually talking it feels real, natural, flow of his voice, pacing, tone.

Ridley, every line feels and sounds like it's being read from a script, she's trying to act, every word feels like it's being delivered. Examples

Her talking to BB8 in the desert
>Classified. Really? Me too. Big secret.
>Stop grabbing my hand!!!!
>No, that one! No. No. The one I'm pointing to! No. NO. NO.
>Bypassed the compressa!!!!

FRIENDLY REMINDER: Star Wars™ is dead, and if you think otherwise you're a common homo.

>Old Republic MMO
>True Star Wars

This

I think it boils down to that absolutely nothing impressed me. The music was mediocre. The new planets were boring. The fights didn't feel right. The nail in the coffin was another death star. If they had switched it up and only disabled the death star i might have been intrigued, but no they just blow it up. At least we managed to get some good memes out of the prequels. TFA despite having more "funny" moments has produced little to no memes.

Haven't really played the game, but the cinematics are damn great.

the music disappointed me the most

before the movie came out i told myself that even if the movie is shit, surely the soundtrack would be great. but nope, it was disappointing and forgetful. don't know what the fucks going on with john williams

He's like 90 years old.

>The most common complaint is that "The Force Awakens" basically repeats "A New Hope"

More than that, it has expies of almost every important character from the OT. Even the planets and locations are suspiciously similar to the ones in the OT.

What's worse is none of the few original things were likable.

This movie felt like it was made on an assembly line.

Age is just a number, we should kick that old fart's ass for being so lazy.

youtube.com/watch?v=_DByPy8aEPw
>universal concepts and stories that mirror mythology and aims to helps us understand something about our humanity, society, and we socialization with each other

>look we included a black guy and a girl
>dont hold my hand..brilliant
>you-you got a boyfriend, a cute boyfriend lolz hahaha

I think it's an entertaining movie. It was just very predictable. I didn't really care about the characters much, but it's a series so there is time for them to grow.

The lighting felt very J.J. Abrams, and I don't care for his lighting style at all.

Me and a few buds had a bet going about what was gonna happen and almost every prediction we made came true. We called almost the entire film start to finish with a couple more wacky predictions that didn't occur. The two I remember being jar jar shows up and Finn dies.

I think I'm just tired of star wars. And sequels in general. They're memorable movies. And I'm very nostalgic for them like everyone else, but I've been so repeatedly disappointed by remakes and sequels that I've learned cynicism. Just like so many other people.

I don't know if they could have made a star wars movie that would have satisfied me. I just think I'm over it. So I call it a kids movie and move on with my life.

Play KOTOR 1 and 2 Instead of that crap

What the fuck does the original Star Wars aim to help us understand about our humanity, socialization, and society? Shut the fuck up.

I hated it because it needed to delete over 30 years of EU to justify its own existence. I love the EU and TFA didn't live up to what I expected, my expectations were astronomically insane because it's fucking Star Wars and they were supposed to make the best movie possible, with the best writers, the best story, the best effects, the best cast. Anything less than perfect is unacceptable.
I don't care if it's not a valid criticism, I'm not saying TFA is objectively bad but I objectively hated it.

>too much nostalgia
>everyone is quippy and fun
>pacing until Maz was too fast
It was alright

The story was predictable. There's no real character growth or development. Everyone solves their problems through sheer plot convience. The main villain started out somewhat intriguing but became a self parody by the end.

>Anything less than perfect is unacceptable.
So I guess that invalidates the OT now doesn't it?

there is a reason why I posted a link to the video so that it explains it. It borrows heavily from mythological and universal ideas, concepts, and meanings that appear to reach cross culturally. Something as simple as the light and dark sides of the force being an internal 'struggle" with our morality. If act selfishly and greedily you will be consumed by the dark side. Thus people should try more to be a good person.

>Twins, one male, one female
>Just like Luke and Leia
>The female "discovers" the Force at a place that becomes known as the "Force Tree"
>The female twin founds the Jedi Order
>The male twin is evil and kills the female.
>Before she dies she makes a prophecy that she will return as The One
>Meanwhile Darth Sidious creates Anakin Skywalker to be a false prophet / golem type creation
>The Jedi are fooled into thinking he's The One
>The Jedi only realize their mistake too late.
>Anakin destroys almost all the Jedi
>Luke tries to redeem his evil father who literally slaughtered children.
>Rey is born and she is the perfect reincarnation of The One. Flawless in every way.
>She finds Luke Skywalker, who now just like his evil father, wants to destroy the Jedi Order

Rey will stop Luke's plans, restore order to the galaxy, and will destroy the dark side. She will also bring about the rise of the new Jedi order as predicted by Supreme Leader Snoke in TFA.

Rey being the reincarnation of The One explains why she is such a Mary Sue in TFA. She's literally a perfect super being.

The entire Star Wars saga is now about how women are good and men are evil.

The women are all leaders (Padme, Leia, Rey, Mon Mothma)

The men are all drawn to the dark side (Anakin, Palpatine, Snoke, Kylo)

tl: dr = Men are bad, women are good. Thanks Kathleen Kennedy!

Why do you care if Mickey Mouse declares your stories based on glorified toy comercials real or not? Are you autistic?

No, why would it?
The OT was the original creation that started everything. The prequels were made by Lucas himself so it was acceptable if they fucked up.
But TFA had to be perfect because they had no reason to make it other than making more money. The 6 part saga was over. The EU was okay (inb4 muh good friend meme). They should have let Star Wars slowly die in peace.
If they decide to delete all the EU, then to me this new movie has to be better than the entire EU.
I also want to add that making a Star Wars movie "for the fans" like Kathleen said is retarded. Star Wars was good the way it was because it was fucking aimed at kids, aimed at making toys and games. TFA seems to be the opposite.

>why didn't you like it?

>makes the ending of the OT meaningless
>world building is incoherent to the point of absurdity
>seems like no effort went into designing the aliens or spaceships
>Starkiller Base is the the most uninspired hack concept they could have possibly come up with
>Finn and Rey's personalities don't match their backstories
>Rey really is a mary sue

That said, I like Kylo Ren, Poe Dameron and BB8 a cute.

rey a shit

You are on a board for discussing TV and film, that means fictional stories. Why do you care about anything fictional, are you autistic?

Naw, it's you, fag.

My point is that you can still read all that EU bullshit, you just get butthurt because Disney told you that they aren't canon. The fact that you can't enjoy them anymore means that they were shit in the first place.

Even JJ has admitted he went too far in this place.

Are you seriously retarded? I never said I can't enjoy them anymore, idiot. It's the Disney stuff that I don't enjoy, all they are doing is just making dumbed down remakes of what the EU and original movies did.

You're not wrong, but watch people disagree with you because it's about gender politics.

Finn and Po being BFF in space would have been a better plot.

Also just from a purely film making perspective ....everything happens too fast to have much impact and the film basically stops to take care of Death Star 3000.
The plot was "let's find Luke" we forget about that for the entire middle of the movie

Still a fairly entertaining movie. 6/10 (maybe 7/10 if you really like Star Wars ?)

>Rey is terrible protagonist, character and actor both
>Finn is completely irrelevant
>Poe is a horrible imitation of a Han Soloesque character
>Ren is a childish, pathetic antagonist
>shots straight out of Star Trek
>characters running around like headless chickens is not a good method to raise action
>too many references to the old trilogy
>fucking space laser and planets in visible distance from each other
>the story was janking forward, compared to the OT where it was more flowing and smooth

But the greatest problem is that Star Wars is an epic SPACE OPERA, not a fucking action flick.

I never even bothered to watch it because Rey looks stupid

6/10 but 2/10 because I really like Star Wars

Forest died because he was unable to leave physically and tired of all that shit.
His death is a sign of the rebellion cleaning up and of the protagonists starting to take on responsibility (it culminates with the death of Jyn's father).
>le edgy ending
is a dramatic ending and had guts. This is a non-argument
>le quipping robot
if you were a neurotypical person, you would understand that the robot humor had a different tone compared to the other movies. Moreover, stuff like "I have a bad feeling about this" gains a complete different meaning.
>le boring protagonist
Jyn starts cold and opens up quite well. The actress conveys very well the progressive change in expressivity and the fact that sh "warms up". Sadly is too late for her.

Star Wars "copied" just as much from Kurasawa and Jack Kirby's Fourth World comics as from Dune, it's called inspiration you sperg.

>The music was mediocre.

This is the one that hurts the most.

Han wasn't done well, his death felt like it was pulled out with no buildup whatsoever.

It's a giant chase scene. Returning Luke's lightsaber doesn't have immediate consequences, there's no pathos behind the reason other than "OMG Luke"

Biggest Death Star was ridiculous.

light saber fights were good though.

Friendly reminder that this was going to be Finn before the producers demanded forced diversity in the cast.

Imagine how much more cool and memorable the character would have been.

And why do so many people say they love the so called "Rey's theme" so much? It was forgettable as fuck.
I swear TFA makes me feel like there's some sort of huge conspiracy or huge joke that everyone is in on except me. I don't understand how so many people liked the movie so much.