Is jazz REALLY dead? Does jazz listeners have autism like our goose?

Is jazz REALLY dead? Does jazz listeners have autism like our goose?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/4D8YPDdsxYU
youtu.be/BVO_R8uvMhE
youtube.com/watch?v=qBDpVb2qka8
youtube.com/watch?v=Ig2wAIbtqTk
google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Hrr3dp7zRQY&ved=0ahUKEwjyzOfht7jTAhXG7YMKHQ-EBpsQt9IBCI8BMBQ&usg=AFQjCNGwZzmB27tcNEEPoNimodiAHUouyA
youtube.com/watch?v=cmDgfzpKw5w
youtube.com/watch?v=fvRkGglLe-U
youtube.com/watch?v=fG2seugAgnU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Jazz serves a cultural function in the music scene. It is a signifier for musical "adulthood." To embrace jazz is to don a kind of graduation cap, signifying a broadening of tastes outside "mere" rock music. This ostentatious display of "sophistication" is an insult, and I find the graduation cappers transparent and tedious. Certainly there must be interesting music one could call "jazz." There must be. I've never heard it, but I grant that it is out there somewhere.

Jazz has a non-musical parallel: Christiania, the "free" zone in Copenhagen. In Christiania, like in jazz, there is no law. People are left to their own inventions to create and act as they see fit. In Jazz, the musicians are allowed to improvise over and beside structural elements that may themselves be extemporaneous. Sounds good, doesn't it? Freedom -- sounds good.

The reality is much bleaker. Christiania is a squalid, trashy string of alleys with rag-and-bone men selling drugs, tie-dye and wretched food. Granted Total Freedom, and this is what they've chosen to do with it, sell hash and lentil soup? Jazz is similar. The results are so far beneath the conception that there is no English word for the dissappointment one feels when forced to confront it. Granted Total Freedom, you've chosen to play II V I and blow a goddamn trill on the saxophone? Only by willfully ignoring its failings can one pretend to appreciate it as an idiom and don the cap.

as a progressive medium, probably, but trios are still jamming til 5am in some parts of the world

Can anons recommend some casual jazz that is easy to get into

miles davis, john coltrane, the list could go on...

Bill evans

That is one ugly frog but goose is average

is the Jazz industry dead?
Is the jazz audience dead?
yes.

Is Jazz dead?
No way baby.

>Christiania is a squalid, trashy string of alleys with rag-and-bone men selling drugs, tie-dye and wretched food

t. haven't been to Christiania

It's a typical den of DUDE WEED types but otherwise more or less okay.

>but otherwise more or less okay.
Last time I was there was a couple of years ago and it was quite literally the most trashy place in Denmark I've seen so far.

>the most trashy place in Denmark I've seen so far

Considering Danes have the neat and tidy variant of autism, that's not saying much.

Quick, blues or jazz

why everyone forgot about this movie?

Why do people hate jazz as music genre

because its unlistenable garbage :^}

Kek shit taste user

Plebs can't enjoy this kind of kinoart

Jazz is life
youtu.be/4D8YPDdsxYU

youtu.be/BVO_R8uvMhE

People hate country music too.
Then you got actual garbage like the pop, hip hop and other shit they put on the radio, and people for some reason don't want to commit suicide when listening to that.

>So...what do you do?

keep telling yourself whatever helps you sleep at night

I play

Don't insult my frogfu!

The jazz that sounds like a bunch of heroin addicts just testing out their instruments with only a passing attempt to actually sync up is garbage.

nice quads
any given radio station seems to be 99% overplayed junk nowadays. its sad really

>le born in the wrong generation
It was always trash

Depends what your cup of tea is. I'm very picky with my sax and trumpet playing so I try to look for a jazz/funk which is harder to come by. Down to the Bone and Rick Braun are two of my favorites.

Blues for me. So many different guitar styles out there. A lot of it can eventually sound the same but I still love it.

a symptom of the cancer that is jazz no doubt. how long have you been suffering this pain?

it's not dead so long as the white saviour is here to revitalise it

People hate the pretentiousness of it. Especially for freestyle Jazz.

>tfw people "liking" jazz as some kind of fashion statement

Absolutely disgusting.

Seb should've been played by a black actor.

Part of it is that most people have 4/4 beat and simple chord progressions hardwired into their brain from birth and anything that sounds too deviated from that initially will cause some sort of revulsion.

But also a lot of jazz is musical wankery made by cunts whose biggest concern isn't "I want ot make good music" but rather "I want to world to notice how '''''''good''''''' my playing is"

Best Jazz musicians in the world are in the US, but Jazz is only being produced in any actual quantities in Japan.

Its dead

Jazz has a huge variety of music styles. I like smooth jazz, motown, hip-hop, and whatever category Sade's music falls under. Fat Burger is a good one too.

Aint that a great metaphor for our society at large?

What a mediocre movie this was.

It was extremely over-hyped.

No one CAN really like jazz, right?

The drummer from CAN actually played jazz before he joined Can, you barbarian.

youtube.com/watch?v=qBDpVb2qka8

I like smooth jazz which is like mix of jazz and melodic pop.

You have to see what's at the stake when musician play jazz, its intense and raw power containing incredible skills and nerves. Jazz is my jamm

Anons trying to be so deep .

Top kek movie sucked

thats some boring olive garden-tier shit my dude
youtube.com/watch?v=Ig2wAIbtqTk

Ryo fukui is great.

google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Hrr3dp7zRQY&ved=0ahUKEwjyzOfht7jTAhXG7YMKHQ-EBpsQt9IBCI8BMBQ&usg=AFQjCNGwZzmB27tcNEEPoNimodiAHUouyA

youtube.com/watch?v=cmDgfzpKw5w

tell me this isn't beautiful

tfw no one understands the beauty of jazz and prog

>til sb listens this kind of horseshit

>can't into free jazz

is cowboy bebop jazz

Duke Ellington

>He fell for the free jazz meme

>Is jazz REALLY dead?
No
>Does jazz listeners have autism like our goose?
Yes

Pretty much, Megatrop ripped him appart and Optimus implied he's gone

No, I can confirm that in at least New Orleans Jazz is life but its probably a big thing in a lot of cities since it harkens back to a time of sophisticated non-degenerate culture that is now implicitly white with some negros thrown in occasionally

What are you talking about?

Most jazz sucks imo. Kurt Weill and George Gershwin are the closest thing to jazz that I enjoy.

My mom had a small Jazz collection, I always dug Wayne Shorter. He's one of the greats that's still alive. It's nice background music as Jazz should be.

youtube.com/watch?v=fvRkGglLe-U

He also does the sax in Steely Dan's Aja, sounds so good.

youtube.com/watch?v=fG2seugAgnU

Yeah, pretty much this. Also the infamous "four chords" of pop music all hack songwriters use cause of how safe they are