Bill Nye Saves the World

I got 5 minutes into this and had to turn it off. It's God awful. Not funny, entertaining or educational in the slightest. It's pure, nasty vinyl SHIT.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=z6kgvhG3AkI
youtube.com/watch?v=qN5L2q6hfWo&t=168s
youtube.com/watch?v=t4PiHWxHesg
youtube.com/watch?v=rqzPTqph62U
youtube.com/watch?v=Me3-r5rsUSI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

He's just a hack political activist.

>Bill Nye the mechanical engineering guy

What kind of stuff do they cover? If its just the regular bunch of pop-science I will skip.

lost all respect for him when he got BTFO by Tucker Carlson

Bill Nye is such a fucking hack these days. He's been riding the "WOW DAE WATCHED LE BILL NYE AS A KID?!?" for like 10 goddamn years at this point. His attempts to connect with millennials are about as graceful as Hillary Clinton's were.

>debate creationist
>gets unequivocally BTFO

is this man even a fucking scientist?

youtube.com/watch?v=z6kgvhG3AkI

youtube.com/watch?v=qN5L2q6hfWo&t=168s

dude teh power of le science xD lmao

I read the reviews on netflix and 95% of them were bad.

But most of those reviews mention he's only an engineer or talk about how climate change isn't proven. So I really have no idea if a person who isn't so easily triggered would find it good

There is some sort of warming trend, though its severity of the problem is disputed. Stupid leftist shit like carbon credits, taxes, and regulations are going to do fuck all to deal with the problem. We need more natural gas, hydroelectric, and nuclear. But for some reason Democrats oppose this.

If it was up to Bill Nye I would be arrested for denialism because of these hot opinions because he's a piece of shit authoritarian hack.

what a bumbling old retard. What went wrong? He used to actually seem smart.

>Dude that guy who taught me about volcanos and magnets when I was in elementary school is the smartest guy ever
I hate this meme
I respect Bill Nye as an educational entertainer for kids, but I can't stand the idea that grown adults still think he's an authority on anything

>sorta held him in high regard because the only thing I knew him for was of course watching his show as a kid
>find this on youtube last year
>immediately lose all respect
youtube.com/watch?v=t4PiHWxHesg
Like sure i get why he'd obviously be for electric cars but who the fuck goes 'hey dude what you like is fucking SHIT'
is he autistic?

No. He has not authored a single scientific publication. He basically regurgitates pop science with the depth of a wikipedia page.

Just saw the first 3 episodes talking about global warming, alternative medicine and A.I

Who even cares about the environment anyway? It's not like I'm going to be alive long enough to see it go to shit. Fuck generations to come lmao

This. It's all so pointless. You get someone in charge like Trump who wants nothing more than to make the country great for everyone and half the population acts like little whiny bitches because he's said mean things about women. People suck, burn this bitch to the ground.

What annoys me about Nye is how aggressive he is on Youtube. I'd be surprised if there's a single negative video about on there because his team throws out copyright strikes like crazy. If there's anything that makes him look bad they target it. I remember a few years ago there were videos of him fainting on stage, it's gone.

He's so fake.

>THE
>DAILY
>MAIL

Is it dolphin in a bathtub?

what is it with him and wine grapes
thats the main thing that pops in your mind when you think of a world that didn't have 'man made global warming,' how britain wouldn't have good grapes?
also what the fuck was that bizzare threat at the end

what the hell am I watching

According to him being able to grow grapes in Britain is evidence the world is becoming too warm or something like that. The problem with this is that when people talk about global warming they're talking about a few degrees over centuries, there's just no way the world has warmed enough to radically change what crops grow where. A better explanation for why we can now grow grapes in Britain is because of genetic engineering. The seeds are more hardy and capable of thriving where they previously wouldn't, but Bill, being the political hack that he is, is blinded and only looks for things to support his agenda so he doesn't see these more likely explanations.

What's it like being 16 years old?

The show is garbage for retarded people who like to virtue signal and live in an echo chamber where dissent is frowned upon and leads to being spoken over by uneducated buffoons who laugh at things they barely comprehend.

I lean left on most issues, but Nye is such a dick to people in general that I'd feel nothing but pleasure at the prospect of this show dying an ignoble death.

I love inhaling fumes while destroying my hearing doing irresponsible things and potentially killing myself as much as the next man but there is no problem with anything he said in that video. Electric cars have been total shit until very recently. Go take a shower and schedule a Tesla drive then you will agree with him. In the mean time I have eight different motors I use on a regular basis burning various types of fuels and I will continue to do so until I die but don't talk shit about something or someone because for no reason other than them stating their opinion alongside irrefutable facts that all add up to same result.

Timestamp where he stops wailing on the creationist long enough to get btfo? it's taking too long

youtube.com/watch?v=rqzPTqph62U

This one is particularly annoying because he's acting like pro-choice people have science on their side when they say the unborn from the moment of conception are not human, and of course pro-life people are just religious nutbags.

"Althought life is a continuous process, fertilization is a critical landmark because under ordinary circumstances, a new, genetically distinct human organism is thereby formed."

-Human Embryology & Teratology, 3rd edition pg. 8

"Zygote. This cell, formed by the union of an ovum and a sperm (Gr. zyg tos, yoked together), represents the beginning of a human being. The common expression 'fertilized ovum' refers to the zygote."

-Before We Are Born: Essentials of Embryology and Birth Defects

"The development of a human begins with fertilization, a process by which the spermatozoon from the male and the oocyte from the female unite to give rise to a new organism, the zygote."

-Langman's Medical Embryology

It's depressing that we've gotten too the point where even a post that memes this hard could actually be taken unironically

If you argue that life begins at that stage then you would also argue that flowers are living things like humans are since at that stage the sperm and ovum create nothing but a eukaryote which numerous organism of all kinds are created upon. THe gray area of where an actual person begins existing is why the argument never stops... Newer concepts like measuring brain activity need to be explored further but religion and bureaucracy get in the way.

youtube.com/watch?v=Me3-r5rsUSI

user, you're using a semantic argument and extremely questionable logic to try and bend medical texts to philosophical questions. Your quotes all say "human life begins with the zygote" in the same way a marathon begins as a footstep. In both cases, inarguably true. In both cases, interrupting the process at that beginning instant leaves you with neither a marathon nor a human

>you're joking, right? right? nobody could have a different opinion to me in my safespace so you must be joking right

Cue: those that take it unironically

>ITT: people who have read two books in their lives, at best

>He used to actually seem smart
Probably because you were a child when you held that view.

>it's a "only scientist are allowed to use scientific findings" thread

>remember not to support nuclear power kids

what did he mean by this?

I think you'd literally have to drop out of highschool to get away with having only read two books

If you actually learn from this show you are indeed a retard. It's nothing but propaganda but since oyu get charged for it and they label it as "entertainment" no one notices since they lack any critical thought abilities.

>say "read a book"
>claim total victory

The moment of conception is when a new distinct human organism is formed, and unless killed, will grow into an adult human being.

You can be pro-choice and accept the science of the matter. Life biologically begins at conception. You can say that life doesn't have value at this point but you can't say a human doesn't begin. Don't use pro-choice arguments from the 1930's, science has advanced since then. The argument between pro-life and pro-choice today is whether or not all human beings have an equal right to life.

Isn't this show still aimed at introducing children to science etc

What were you coming in looking for? 3rd year physics courses with zany editing and pop cameos?

Because Democrats only want more control of the way you live.

>embryo
>killed
It could be done, if only the embryo was sentient.

>gas burner + food coloring + simple acid + boiling flask = science bitch!

Please kill yourself.

>missing the point

L O L
what a twist

Don't be stupid. Killing is killing whether the person you're killing knows it or not.

Let me guess, he covered topics that challenged your limited understanding of the world and criticized your lazy selfish lifestyle.

More like he made an entirely new show about nothing but buzzword topic using the same old arguments that anyone who is even slightly informed should roll their eyes at unless they're too busy clapping and laughing while adjusting their hipster glasses or tampon string.

Only his children's show was entertaining and that's the thing we remember. Now he's just an opinionated political activist who acts like he's an expert in everything but uses his "Scientist" title to give his opinions some sort authority.

>If you actually learn from this show you are indeed a retard.
Or... A child?
This is the same issue that plagues Sup Forums
Everyone operating on the base assumption that everything must be attempting to cater specifically to them.

Sometimes you're just straight up not the target audience. Honestly I'm fucking confused as shit by 20 to 30 year olds coming to a literal children's entertainer—by his own definition, no less—and going away disappointed that they're not learning.

What?

To answer the question "Does having a brain make someone a person?", we must answer a more basic question: "What does the brain do?"

When our brain isn't performing complex tasks (such as when we sleep), or when it hasn't developed the ability to do so (such as when we are infants), our brain simply keeps our bodies alive. At brain death we lose our "organic unity," and we become a corpse. Our body parts no longer function together to keep us alive. If a person stops existing not when the brain dies but when his body parts no longer function together to keep him alive (or when he no longer has organic unity) then it makes sense to say that a person begins to exist when his body achieves this organic unity.

When does this organic unity occur? At fertilization a person begins to exist, because at that time the unborn child's parts work together to keep the child growing and living. When the child becomes so complex that he needs a brain to survive, he will simply grow one, because he is a person who can continue developing new organs and new abilities over time. A brain-dead person cannot do this, and that is why the brain-dead are no longer persons, while the unborn, even without a brain, are persons who are merely immature.

This is just silliness. You can kill a plant.

YOU ARE A RETARD PIC RELATED

It's not so much "knowing" as "having no consciousness at all".

Plants = humans, gotcha.

MARKY MARK IS OUR ONLY HOPE

>This stuff isn't for kids, it's for growth up kids!
Do you honestly not remember being a child, or how children's programming and commercia ls addressed children?

For real though.

I mean there is no point in discussion of you're willing to eschew the established really of children's programmings narrative voice since the fucking eighties in order to justify your outrage

I thought your post was making the argument that you can only kill something that is sentient, and i may have misunderstood. My point was you can definitely kill non sentient life. What were you trying to say?

Tucker got schooled, louder doesn't mean right.

>gets unequivocally BTFO
But even creationists admitted Nye won.

>live studio audience with fake laughter
oh no

>tesla

Apple tier gabrage

I made it to the GMO episode before giving up.
I focuses too much on the comedy that falls flat without any real information.
I had high hopes for the panel segments at the end but in the episodes I watched I got the following
>Global warming
two people who agreed with bill and one guy who said we need to build more nuclear or thorium plants and got shouted down, only got to say one sentence
>Alternative medicine
Only guy who disagreed with bill at all was a "director" and a bumbling retard
special mention for the "Dear white people" monologue
>AI
One guy making legitimate points about contemporary shitty AI's and the dangers of allowing machines to handle decision making and a dyke and pahjeet shouting "HUURRR DATS NOT TRU AI"
>GMO episode
Literally not a single person who had a single negative thing to say about them and bill and his two guests sucked the cock of a literal shill for Monsanto for ten minutes.

I just can't bring myself to watch anymore.

Are you 15 years old?

>ITT: Disagreeing with science

I'd agree with removing coal based power plants and reducing the use of oil - diesel/petrol reliance, but slapping down nuke power is hard. Not everyone will accept it in their region, wind isn't super reliable and hydro has location limits. Solar is good, but again huge maintenance. So you could also use the wave motion, but that eats up coast lines. In the end the planet goes through heating and cooling cycles, this we know. The damage is already done, all you can do is ride it out and build on higher land.

And in general those in control of a resource the vast majority rely on, are not going to give up that control and dependency, it's their lively hood.

TUCK'D

>creationist

WOW YOU REALLY BTFO THEM HAHAHAA SAVAGE

Not really. I took a bunch of advanced classes in high school and nobody read the books anyways. Hell I'm in college and half my classmates don't do any assigned reading whatsoever and get away with it.

The thing that gets me is progs think a .01 degree change in temperature in ten years is cause for a alarm, but a 20 trillion dollar debt is no big concern.

fuck this science bullshit I''m going to catholic church to find some hottie

>Pro-life can only be a religious argument.

The worst meme ever. How hard is it for a leftist to see a non-religious bio-ethical argument against abortion?

>Your quotes all say "human life begins with the zygote" in the same way a marathon begins as a footstep.

Taking that logic to it's conclusion, are you arguing that a person does not have a right to live until age 25, at which point they are no longer growing but aging?

>a leftist to see a non-religious bio-ethical argument against abortion?

Literally Christopher Hitchens.

>non-religious argument against abortion
1. All things have an essence.
2. This essence gives it a static meaning that doesn't change, no matter the small fluctuations in its form.

No matter if it has four or three legs, a chair is always a chair. Even a stump that has no legs is a chair. Their form is impossible to define without resorting to their essence as a chair.

3. Human life is inherently valuable.
4. Mental faculties at the moment don't change the essence of what a human is.
5. Therefore, abortion is murder.

This argument can only be taken down if one argues about economic properties of humans - eg. humans are valuable only when they're intelligent enough to be productive (communism) or my friend (hedonism).

does a seed have a different essence from the tree?

Not if it's planted.
But if you're going to force this analogy further, there's a difference between a tree and a human. Human is inherently invaluable, while we usually look at trees with how useful they are for something.

catholics don't deny evolution tho

The analogy was more along the lines that a seed holds the inherent potential to grow into a tree the same way a fertilized egg or an embryo has an inherent potential to grow into a human. Does the potential essence have the same value and meaning as the actualized essence? If that makes sense. And so if the essence of a seed is different from the essence of a tree then one could argue that the essence of an embryo is different from the essence of a human

"Hey millenials, 'member me?"

This faggot needs to fuck off even more than Bryan Cranston

>Does the potential essence have the same value and meaning as the actualized essence?
That's why I said, only if it's planted. A planted tree and a fertilized egg are already experiencing a stage of their life.
An unplanted seed, an unfertilized egg or just sperm have the potential which you ask about. This is why masturbation isn't genocide and sperm isn't life.

Plz no bully.

I wonder ho long he'll be able to keep the seats in his studio filled.

FUCKING CRINGE

It's worse than I imagined

God damn it. I was hoping for a half decent docu-deal rather than a science themed talk show as well.

Is there an episode about heritability of IQ and variance of it among groups?

>Isn't this show still aimed at introducing children to science etc

Yes, except this time they're introducing politics instead of science.

> Bill holds up an Erlenmeyer flask. The audience ooohs.
> "Now this might look like water, but it's actually an aqueous solution."
> Audience starts clapping
> Electronic dance music starts playing
> Adam from the mythbusters comes out on a scooter with colorful beakers and a lab coat.
> Bill and Adam start dancing with beakers, audience cheers
> Record scratch, music abruptly stops
> Zoom into Bill's face, "Now let's get serious folks."
> "Can you believe there are still people who believe in God, and not climate change?"
> Audience erupts in laughter, more applause
> "Folks we have a very special guest here today to tell you why space is WOKE!"
> Neil DeGrasse Tyson comes out in a space suit
> Audience furiously clapping now, can barely contain themselves
> Tyson: "The potential for life is everywhere in the universe, Star Trek and Star Wars could be real!"
> Audience hands are now bleeding from all the clapping.
> Bill: "Well that's all the time we have today, join us next week when we tell you more about why science rocks!"
> Electric guitar solo, audience starts chanting aggressively "Bill! Bill! Bill! Bill! Bill!" Their claps are now full repetitive nazi salutes.

>Though the TV show is hosted by Nye, five correspondents assist in the presentation of the show. These include fashion model Karlie Kloss, science YouTuber and educator Derek Muller, comedian Nazeem Hussain, comedian and writer Joanna Hausmann, and the TV host and producer Emily Calandrelli.[4][5] The show also features guest appearances from Zach Braff, Donald Faison, Rachel Bloom, Joel McHale, Wil Wheaton, Jonna Mae[6], Steve Aoki, and Tim Gunn.[3] The thirteen-episode series premiered on April 21, 2017.[3] The show's theme song was produced by Tyler, the Creator.[7]

NOT
ONE
SCIENTIST

Oh man, I thought the other thread was just trolling HOLY SHIT

give a non-biased summary please

>it is illegal to destroy eagle eggs because they are unborn eagles
>abortion is legal
Bill no!

>gender identity
>science