/lang/ - Language Learning General

vocaroo edition

>Learning resources
Check """pastebin.com/ACEmVqua"""; for plenty of language resources as well as some nice image guides.
/lang/ is currently short on those image guides, so if you can pitch in to help create one for a given language, don't hesitate to do so!

Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages:
Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages:
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#

Other urls found in this thread:

learngerman.dw.com/en/placementDashboard
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What is the most comfy language to learn?

English. Sucks to be you I guess.

papiamentu, desu

As someone who seeks comfiness himself, I wanna know the answer.

Interlingua probably if you're an autismo who has nothing to do

french i'm fucking coming for you
>recovering my level to be honest

And I keep making leaps forward with german, I downloaded clozemaster and I understand a lot of things I didn't

Bump. I want more replies

Define comfy first.

Turkish is super comfy

German

nothing is comfier than deciphering a long German word

What the best/easiest/most efficient way to learn German? There seems like a lot of resources to choose from

>clozemaster
thanks for this recommendation

I was learning hebrew, then realized that it was a useless language and lost all motivation.

Comfy, as in C O M F Y or /comfy/, motherfucker

Japanese, once you get over the script hurdle

Personally I use duolingo and lingvist as vocab building tools, and I bought a book called Reading for German to learn more of the grammar.

>The Germans have another kind of parenthesis, which they make by splitting a verb in two and putting half of it at the beginning of an exciting chapter and the other half at the end of it. Can any one conceive of anything more confusing than that? These things are called "separable verbs." The German grammar is blistered all over with separable verbs; and the wider the two portions of one of them are spread apart, the better the author of the crime is pleased with his performance. A favorite one is reiste ab -- which means departed. Here is an example which I culled from a novel and reduced to English:

>"The trunks being now ready, he DE- after kissing his mother and sisters, and once more pressing to his bosom his adored Gretchen, who, dressed in simple white muslin, with a single tuberose in the ample folds of her rich brown hair, had tottered feebly down the stairs, still pale from the terror and excitement of the past evening, but longing to lay her poor aching head yet once again upon the breast of him whom she loved more dearly than life itself, PARTED."

None.

wump

I wonder when people last talked like that

that's a good question. the book is apparently from like 1843, so it's definitely a super antiquated / formal form of speech.

Have any of you tried sentence mining for a language other than Japanese? I've found it to be very helpful and enjoyable for English.

German*

You're welcome. I really like it, it's better than duoligo. But it's only a tool, not the cornerstone of your learning process

I do it for Polish because most common sentences are irregular.

Korean

I started with the textbook Routledge Intensive German Course, which was overall subpar but gave me a good enough base to start using Berliner Platz which i much prefer (and it's entirely in german so its like double practice)

Is it available online?

Where do I start if I want to learn French?

Your chink mouth can't pronounce french

I always recommend to study tenses and conjugation, leraning verbs... Then you can focus in other things like adjectives, nouns, partitives.

There are plenty of resources in google drive and the other links

People learning Japanese, how long did take for you to comfortably hold a conversation in Japanese?

is there any successful learner at russian ?

Yeah, if you search German Language Learning Pack on pirate bay Routledge is in the first one. For Berliner Platz it took a little bit more digging but it's out there alright.

2 years of studying for like 4 hours a week. After that it took me maybe 4 to 6 months to start feeling reasonably comfortable holding conversation.

>After that it took me maybe 4 to 6 months to start feeling reasonably comfortable holding conversation.

4 to 6 months of living in Japan. I thought I typed that but i guess not.

wump

lmao

Latin. Sounding like a wizard is supercomfy.

imma sit in front the judge and tell her damn lies
nigga i be mad high mad high mad high mad high

So I set a deadline on when to finally choose a language which is tonight. And Italian and Portuguese are the main runners, but I am kind of concerned about if they turn out to be useless? I know Spanish seems like the best way to get around this but the culture and the way they sound puts me off.
I'm just a bit weary, is a useless language pointless? I'm trying to see it from more of a professional perspective but Journalism I feel kind of favours the harder languages like Arabic etc.

if you are learning for a professional perspective you will probably not learn it at all anyway
language learning takes a passion or necessity

From a Journalism perspective, there might actually be some benefit to picking a less popular language. It should open you up to positions that are harder to fill. I'm sure most news agencies in the UK would prefer to have a native English speaker who can speak Italian or Portuguese than rely on the reverse.

What is some advice on studying two languages at once? I'm studying German and have studied Russian and just end up bouncing between the two as I love them both:

Check'd

Also, if you have so much free time, why not?

Unfortunately there is no good answer to this dilemma for anglophones. All languages are 'pointless' in a general sense because there will always be more native X speakers with a decent grasp of English that would be better suited to the job.

Picking a language and then searching for opportunities to use it will probably be more productive than searching for a language with the best opportunities. Sadly it's not the most consistent motivation for something as time consuming as learning a language.

trips asks the real questions.

How do you define "comfiness" of a language?

I asked the same and this is the reply I got

Seperate them as much as possible to minimize vocabulary confusion
make up for the fact that you can't put as much effort in the individual languages by consuming more media

Don't do it.

Mari

I'm unto you, murmuring Orange.

Are you enlightened like me and spend 80% of your language learning process on immersion, Sup Forums?

I just drink Stella Artois to learn French

This

And Ithkuil

>mfw I find a Spanish dub with subtitles of the Star Wars trilogy
I'm not good enough yet, but what a cool way to practice.

When I was in Japan my host family had a copy of Harry Potter in Japanese. I think my Swiss roommates actually have the same in German. I should hop on that shit.

Seems like a good bridge between that point where we can start to watch a movie, but if we can't understand bits, still know what is going on to keep following or learn through context.

>I'm studying German and have studied Russian and just end up bouncing between the two
But that's perfect. I would be surprised if it isn't faster than doing them sequentially.

exactly, that's why i've been playing Portal 2 and Half Life 2 in German lately as well.

It'd be cool if anime didn't have a monopoly on slice-of-life, that shit is prime for learning.

clearly icelandic

slice-of-life?

I've been looking for Spanish anime but kind of hard to find except for fan subtitles, but, there is other stuff to read I like better.

fuck you

Animus that are basically just following someone's everyday life. There's usually not much of a story but they're funny and you don't have to worry about specialty vocab (like say if you watched Harry Potter, you have to worry about magic centric vocabulary)

sorry

Okay, I forgive you

That was a fast Cold War II

Ah yeah that would be perfect.

/文言/者誰也?

Cheers guys I appreciate the advice. Thank you.

Does anyone have that chart with the learning times, like 1 hour of practice and it schedules what to do in said time?
I saw it a few threads ago.

This one?

would like to immerse myself into some grils of my target lang si entiendes que estoy diciendo

make the switch to Arabic

life is useless but you don't see me committing sudoku

bump

How do Germans say "that is so kawaii :3"

Das ist so kawaii
?

Bump

outdated way of thinking desu

German learners of /lang! Are you A1, A2, or B1?

I just passed A1, and now I'm taking the A2 exam

learngerman.dw.com/en/placementDashboard

that didn't go well ...

Do you have a better way of doing things?

>falling for the duolingo meme

Hmm. 70% on B1. I need to work harder...

Duolingo helps a little

Quem aqui /está a aprender o português/? Ninguém? Que bom...

>este sentimento quando aprendi o português do Portugal mas ainda não encontrei um português com quem posso falar, então falo com os brasileiros que são muito amigáveis.

Às vezes não nos entendemos mas nos damos bem de qualquer modo.

The last time I took a test it said I was B1.2 which sounds too good to be true. I'll try this when I finish work or something

What is the English equivalent of "user ist Spitze!" in German

the dictionary is saying "user is a blast!" but I think that is speech from the 1950s

Maybe 'OP is not a faggot'?

Can't argue with that post number.

Learning Korean and sometimes Japanese on the side just because I really like to learn Kanji for some reasons...
Chinese would prob be cool to learn too because of the number of sino Korean words in the Korean language.
But I already can't focus on two languages so I try to not start a third one...

This is also a problem to me. I cannot focus in 2 languages at the same time. I'm trying german and not learning but improving my french; it is kind of hard to follow the 2

I JOE YOU JOE

Just focus on japanese

Are there any good Farsi decks for Anki?

Harder than it seems isnt it

No, I already commited way more on Korean, It's by far my main focus.
Japanese is my side chick (chink?).

bump