Why can't Americans build liveable cities?

Why can't Americans build liveable cities?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cKEhxRa9aSM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

American cities only exist to house the slaves of their corporate masters

I don't see the problem.

Americans cities are made for driving to be the number one way to get around.

you don't pay for your own benzin?

>posts a city we built after ww2 to contrast with the more spaced out American cities
What was your point again?

>flag
you guys aren't much better

All costs considered, it is cheaper to drive yourself anywhere than it is to take public transportation, unless that public transportation is comped otherwise by the company you work for, the school you go to, or by significant tax deductions.

Also it should be considered that public transportation in and of itself is a massive time commitment to people whose time often costs more than the gas it took to get somewhere.
In my case, I can either drive 20 minutes to work or spend almost 100 minutes either on public transportation, or waiting for it.

public transport is way cheaper than owning a car lol

That's exactly a case of shitty city planning

American cities are built for cars. That's why everything is spread out and there's highways in the middle of a city. Car companies literally shaped America.

It doesn't mean you need to put gigantic interchanges in the middle of your downtown core. Get cars out of cities!

gas is very cheap in america, anons

Would you honestly rather live in a parking lot than a walkable city/

most american cities are walkable m8 , cars are just too popular but you can walk all you want and take the public transportation. I never went to LA but in nyc i just park my car in the early morning and spend all my day visiting all kind of places using rental bikes or the metro.

America is fuckin huge and with large empty areas. Cars make sense as a means of transportation. Interstates were constructed and were routed directly through cities because it seemed like a good idea at the time. If you need a car to get around you need a place to put it so you need a garage/driveway on your house and you want a yard of some sort too so boom you got a suburban house. You gotta house lots of people in a city so now you got sprawl issues. How do you travel across this sprawl? why in a car of course. Its a vicious cycle

>most american cities are walkable m8

>Bottom left is shaped like a gun

>Let\ me tell you about your country

Work conditions in Canada are on another planet compared to the US.

compare and contrast

all just random streetview intersections

american cities get even worse in terms of walk-ability when you leave the immediate downtown area. Just 1k

how is that not walk able there are huge sidewalks and cross-paths. There is even a bikepath in the first pic you posted

just 1k away from downtown proper and it looks like this

(((interstates)))

m8 europeans have a space problem, we at least in the past don't. that why every thing is vast but it doesn't mean you can't walk in them.

San Francisco, Chicago, and all of the major northeastern cities are walkable.

kek why would you even walk there? and hey there are sill sidewalks. stop being an autist

What constitutes a "liveable" city?

>much better
Stating that city design is based around automobile traffic isn't a negative judgement, sperglord, it's a simple state of affairs.

one is designed cars but allows pedestrians, the other is 100% designed for pedestrians. This is what I mean about walkable

the world walkable wasn't created by an autistic canadian. It doesn't mean that. My small town has that btw.

You fucking moron: you are comparing cities which were build in a time before cars existed. Of course they are going to be more pedestrian focused. You're also comparing massively different geographies.
Look, I get that the USA is a freak show and most of their people are cunts, but be a bit fucking intellectually honest with your criticisms.

>the other is 100% designed for pedestrians
Which is logically hell for transportation and delivery of goods. You're applying a low population density ideal mindset to a high population area.

The claim was most american cities are walkable,. I tried to show otherwise. Obviously there are a million variables but to look at phoenix or dallas or orlando and claim the city is walkable is laughable.

this looks like a nightmare for pedestrians

Cuz they like to live in house and cities that look like giant rural instead of flats and real cities.

Most of those posting under the US flag on Sup Forums, are self-hating whites and millennial progressives of the following type:

youtube.com/watch?v=cKEhxRa9aSM

They desire the transformation of the United States, which they consider the most racist country to ever exist, into a non-white country, and are actively leading the charge to turn it more diverse and multicultural, while marginalizing the white males and reducing their social and economic power. Many of them are members of Antifa, and all of them fully support the protests taking place on college campuses, where they receive their liberal arts degrees. They consider it important to include PoC in all forms of media because it helps people especially in Western countries to make the psychological adjustments that are necessary for the transformation of their countries into multicultural societies.

They despise white America more than the most anti-Americans on Sup Forums are capable of, and are the most eager proponents of its destruction. The leading figures of the anti-American and anti-white intellectual movement in the US, are almost entirely composed of white males. They are united in their belief in and support for the extermination of the white working class demographic in the US. They consider it, just like the extermination of the bourgeoise in Marxist ideology, to be an inevitable step in the creation of a post-racial, multicultural United States, where the power is no longer dominated by white men, but distributed among women, ethnic and sexual minorities.

They are known by many names - bugmen, numale, soyboy, yoga shrimp, incel - in their desire to be recognized as allies to People of Color, women, transsexuals, and homosexuals. Many of them wish for America to adopt European-style urban center living with high rents and mass public transport.

They are called suburbs and we live in both.

senpai I live in NYC, don't tell me how much my public transport costs.
For me, a bus ride in both directions would double my transportation costs.
A significant number of my coworkers live in the city and take the train going north. It costs $20 for a round-trip ticket. Imagine paying $20 a day just to get to work. Then they have to wait for the bus that actually goes to work.

Even in the best case, public transport is shitty, expensive, and not widespread enough to replace a car.

Also most cities don't have the ease of transport that NYC does. We can get a 121$ metrocard and go anywhere within the city. Go to Philadelphia where different tracks are owned by different companies and see what a shitshow that is. Car is always the best option.

i fucking hate american cities i cant ride my bike without worrying about getting hit by a car

Lmao bro you're more likely to spend that time waiting in traffic than waiting on a bus

There is no reason to be a pedestrian. If you live or work anywhere near that pic, you are able to buy a car. The sidewalks are there on technicality

Thats orlando. They only have a population of around 150k people in the city and the only reason anybody knows its name is because of disney world

Fuck you leaf.

I wish we had roads like Americans and Canadians.

I wish we had your trains and metro.

actually I only have 2 stoplights on my way to work. Rest is empty highway because I drive north.
A few of my coworkers actually do drive to work from Brooklyn or Queens. 1 or 2 hour drive, they wake up at 4 AM and arrive at 7AM just to beat the traffic, then go home at 3PM.
Some people just really don't want their life to revolve around their workplace.

looks like Moscow

kek

why are canadians like this

What the fuck?
Do your McDonalds inject cocaine into the patties?

Lower photo is from the 1st day of work of mcdick in Russia

>American interstatee is shaped like a gun in the lower left
Was it kino

You get to play when your country isn't the size of a large farm.

Europeans cities are old.
Like, very old.
They were built in a time when only the rich could afford quick transportation.
At that time in order for a city to be liveable, your usual peasant in the surroundings had to be able to wake up in the morning, pack whatever he was growing or herding in his farm, go with his feet to the city marketplace, sell the whole crap and be back before nightfall.
That puts your ideal distance between whatever you called "the countryside" and you city roughly under 15 km.

America was built in an empty land. They came with already access to quick transportation : horse carriages, and later on, cars.

When oil was discovered in Titusville, Pennsylvania, it was a domestic product which was cheap. Transportation was structured accordingly. The newest cities have the most urban sprawl. Th oldest cities in America are much more concentrated, like European ones.

On the other hand in Europe, oil was an import product, and as such heavily taxed. The urban fabric was already in place and little changed.

>liveable cities?

Had to google it, they really can’t.

Even canadians can btw

>downtown

wow that's saying much

let me guess, a mall is also walkable?

Downtown is where people have their economic activities but don't live.
Except maybe for very wealthy ones.

No, wait... all economic activities now take place in some suburbs... but not the very ones where people live.

>americars think they will be happy if they live as far as possible from their neighbors
>can't go anywhere without a car

>lol
dræb dig selv til doden

When I came to Russia from the US, I was amazed at how similarly the cities were laid out. Big Russian cities almost always have loads of good public transportation compared to American cities, but the massive roads, long avenues, and congested streets are all the same. The only place with cities as much like the US as Russian cities are Canadian and Australian ones

>a 4-lane street is too wide to walk across
and you call americans lazy

Only the cities built after the car was invented, though. The old East Coast cities and towns are much more dense with narrow streets.

There are literally crosswalks in that photo

some cities literally do not have any viable public transport. I'm from LA, it takes me an hour everyday to go 8 miles to get to university. The roads are built without bike lanes and tons of hills so its incredibly dangerous to bike, and taking the bus, while not terribly expensive, raises my commute to about 2 and a half hours if you include walking to the bus stop. It's literally unsustainable. The only saving grace LA has over NYC is that it "sleeps", and leaving at 6:30 in the morning shortens that hour long commute to literally 20 minutes.

int boker face material

Probably due to similar factors like the insane amount of empty space and cheap domestic oil making car travel inexpensive.

Bottom left looks like a gun, lol

it's more about lobbying by the auto industry along with grid pattern civic planning and sprawl being prioritized over infill.

We have industrial sectors, residential housing, and suburbs that sprawl on for miles on end before you reach the nearest highrise. Europe has never had that, and until the last century, no one did. It just sigificantly increases travel time for everyone at the small benefit of having a more "organized" city.

>Toronto and Calgary taht high
Opinion discarded

>bottom left
even their fucking highways are guns what the fuck America

Europe never had those except for Eastern Europe, where a shit ton of land and cities that were massively expanded after WWII took on modern urban planning philosophies. In downtown Moscow and St. Petersburg the urban design is usually more in line with old world planning, but it doesn't take long for the city to sprawl out like a suburb made out of high rises. The one nice thing is that each commie block usually has all the essentials (grocery store, pharmacy, dentist, etc.) so it ends up being more walkable even though the city looks like a sprawling mess