Dune

can Villeneuve pull it off Sup Forums?

Arrival is one of the best sci fi movies ever with its slowish pacing with rich characters so yes he can

I really hate that the mass market paperback doesn't have this cover anymore

Who is the best Dune-fu and why is it Lady Jessica?

If it sucks, I don't think it'll be his fault. I'm sure it'll look visually incredible, the problem is adapting the book into a movie that doesn't lose what makes the book so great

cuz she let maud'dribble put his hand in her box,
iirc

I'd like to see how Blade Runner 2049 turns out before I'd make a guess. Arrival and his other films are too distant to blockbuster titles to gauge how good he would be at it.

This.
He's taking on a lot. It'd be sort of like adapting Sandman. It's doable but it probably would be better as a tv show/mini series.

I hope he doesn't make the film an obvious political jab. And I hope it doesn't repeat what the movie and show did wrong.

No. Besides the fact that I don't care for Villeneuve as a director, the book is just too big. Lynch had the right idea with focusing on only certain aspects, and brushing over or entirely omitting some parts, even if they're important to the book. The only way to fit it into a film is to pick one facet of he story and tell it. But Lynch's attempt was mired with studio interference. Either Villeneuve will pander to the lowest common denominator and make a lame film, or actually attempt something grand and face resistance from studios and audiences.

watched this for the first time today. not sure what to make of it. I liked elements of it but overall it felt lacking

i remember when i was a kid i saw one of the dune films, and there was a scene where a guy showered and it was the first time i've ever seen a naked ass.

>Hey why are you, the language expert, gong with my whiteboard that could potentially be a useful communication aid towards the alien space ship!?

A dumb movie for dumb people

>one of the dune films
>films
I thought there was only Lynch's attempt?

yeah my bad. the others were a miniseries

Agree, best worm design.

is this a troll?

that's the cover to the game.

You can't make Dune into a movie. There's too much going on and way too much background information to deliver for a movie. It needs to be a show like HBO's Game of Thrones. They could do the Frank books and stop before the son took over.

I saw Dune while stoned out of my mind a few weeks ago. Fucking brilliant movie.

it grows on you

It certainly intrigued me. Might revisit it after I learn more about the Dune books

there was an interview with Brad Dourif, who played Piter de Vries, and he was amazed that Lynch could fit that huge book into a single film. he understood that it had to be dumbed down to where an average audience could appreciate it, and in the process a lot of the detail was lost. and it was in part the detail that made the books good.

Will it be the best Dune adaptation so far? Yes.

Will it do it justice? Probably not.

Can people stop pretending Dune is a good book?

>Everybody look! I'm being a contrarian! Aren't I cool?

watch it again
and again
then fall asleep while watching it
and wake at like scene where paul drinks the water of life.

then you will understand the true kino before you.

I just don't get the love for it. With the bland characters, I really don't know who the audience was. I know it's a buzzword now, but the book is autistic as fuck. There's not emotion at all to be found in any part of it.

>There's not emotion at all to be found in any part of it.

Opinion discarded.

Mary Sue worshipping faggot kys

What the fuck does everyone see in Villeneuve??

>I just don't get the love for it.

> but i have to tell everyone in every dune thread how much i hate it or they won't know that they're wrong

> i know! i'll call him a mary sue! that'll work.

so mad lmao

>I don't get it

Found yr problem there m8

Couldn't be more wrong.

His dad was one of the best F1 racers to never win a championship and he himself managed to win one in 1997.

Was pretty poor after but still a decent driver all things considered.

u wot

She's kinda conniving through. Jess betrays her orders millennia year old breeding program out of love.