I'm thinking of converting to Christianity... but am I even a Christian?

I don't believe it is ultimately possible to prove or disprove the existence of God through reason, logic or empiricism. That said, am I still a theist and I would like to live my life in accordance with the assumption that God *does exist*.

As for the particular claims of Christianity, I'm of the opinion, similar to the likes of Tolkien and C.S. Lewis, that the Bible contains within it a mixture of allegory, metaphor and historical truth.

I'm open to the idea of the resurrection and was surprised to find that, among New Testament historians, there are many who consider the historical evidence for the resurrection to be significant.

It would be stupid for be to just *jump in* and claim to believe every teaching of the Church automatically, as I'm still quite ignorant as to Christianity's teachings, but I have a great deal of reverence for the Christian tradition and definitely feel myself attracted to it.

Would you consider my a legitimate Christian given my positions? Do you think I should approach a Church or do a little more reading and background research before I fully indulge in it?

Also, as a Brit, which Church would you recommend joining? It's difficult to distinguish between them when you're an amateur as far as theology goes.

Other urls found in this thread:

childabuserecovery.com/pope-francis-found-guilty-of-child-trafficking-rape-murder/.
youtube.com/watch?v=GJvoFf2wCBU
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Read the teachings of Jesus Christ(eastern orthodox version), if you believe it, you're a christian. You must either become Orthodox or Catholic or you're a fake.

Whether you accept super natural notions or not, Christianity can really enrich your life.
On a ethical/moral level, it's a useful compass on the journey through life.

This is basically how my faith started out; after I first read some Kierkegaard. I'm happily Orthodox now. Go for it and God be with you!

Christianity is actually a rather nuanced and complicated religion now, but in a nutshell: Jesus is God. Jesus lived a perfect (sinless) life. Jesus was crucified then rose from the dead thereby accepting the judgement of God on behalf of all sinners. Sinners are now reconciled to God and can enjoy eternal life on the sole condition that they believe these things.

Read thw Catchism of the Catholic Church. It sets out all the things Christians believe in.

In terms of philosophy, Christianity doesn't have exclusive schools. As long as it's not heretical, Christians can hold different theological and philosophical beliefs.

The Bible is above all the word of God for man, not a history or science text book, so your understanding of it could be orthodox, but be careful you aren't just using "allegory" to ignore the parts if Gods message that you don't like.

Be concident that you're close enough, and should join a church to receive formal instruction in the faith. Watch out for Left wing Catholic parishes run by homos (espscially Jesuits).

Read more c s Lewis. I am "Christian". Christian only but not the only Christian. By reading and studying you will find what clicks with you most

Read the Bible first - start in New Testament

I’ve always been drawn to the Catholic Church because of its respect for tradition and for the apostolic continuity it represents.

But there seems to be far less room for personal faith/interpretation in the Catholic church in comparison to other branches of the Christian tradition. It seems to consist more of, "this is what we believe; you must adhere to every word of it".

I'm not advocating a liberal form of Christianity here but dogmatism isn't much better.

Is my perception of the Catholic church wrong?

I had many of the same problems you did. I would be happy to help answer particular questions that you might have. Starting with the ones you've posed:

>Would you consider my a legitimate Christian given my positions?

What do you consider to be a "legitimate Christian" to be? One who has faith, but does not attempt to understand it? One who has a greater understanding of it, but less faith? I would argue that a "legitimate Christian" is hard to define.

>Do you think I should approach a Church or do a little more reading and background research before I fully indulge in it?

I would do a little bit more research, if only to narrow down how you feel about a few major denominations. More specifically:

>Calvinism/Presbyteriansim
Do you think that the concept of double predestination makes sense?

>Protestantism (Luther, et al)
Do you believe that the individual should decide what the Bible means to them? Do you believe that one is able to have involvement with God on a strictly personal level?

>Catholicism (mainly Roman/Eastern)
Do you believe that tradition as well as the Bible are important?

Admittedly, I am a Roman Catholic after having asked these questions (as well as many others).

Bump.

You're not even trying. Steer him to some apologetics first. Anything to filter the high weirdness of magical mud people from the desert, and their special abilities, unless you want to scare him off immediately. How about some GK Chesterton?

Well, I'd argue that accepting the Church's teachings is the way it's meant to be. It teaches us humility, and besides, who are we to say we're smarter than all of our forefathers in the faith?

Nevertheless, there's still a large amount of diversity of opinion within Orthodoxy and Roman Catholicism. The dogmata are always there as an anchor, though, to make sure that you have a firm foundation and don't get too "out there."

Chesterton is the bomb. I recommend the Everlasting Man, Heretics, and Orthodoxy. Orthodoxy is my favorite, but Everlasting Man is a great introduction to Christianity and Heretics sets up Orthodoxy.

Agreed. Starting with the Bible when one has issues concerning its substance/legitimacy does not help.

There is no faith without doubt.

>Is my perception of the Catholic church wrong?

No, and there is a reason why it is perceived as more strict than others:

It has been analyzing, compiling, and explaining the faith for over 2,000 years. The saints who were doctors of the Church such as Augustine (In "Confessions") and Thomas Aquinas ("Summa Contra Gentiles" and "Summa Theologica") were very influential.

I think Aquinas in particular is a good read. He attacks his opponent's strongest arguments against particular things.

>You must either become Orthodox or Catholic or you're a fake.

Absolutely wrong. Just read the Bible. There is nothing that says in the bible you need to belong to a specific club to believe in its teachings. The "church" in the bible specifically refers to a congregation, not an actual building.

If you rely on the Word of God to life you're life, you're a Christian. I recommend when trying to learn the Bible, you ask what the Church of God has to say, because they are Sola Scriptura and have many articles written to teach with total clarity exactly what the Bible teaches.

>It has been analyzing, compiling, and explaining the faith for over 2,000 years.

I would say it has been combining Pagan bullshit with the Word of God for 2000 years, and killing millions who disagree. But what do I know? I just study History. The Catholic Church has invented so many stupid traditions over the years because MUH PAGAN.

Literally the worst Christian faith, antichrist, and anathema to God.

So many memes in one post, I'm not sure where to begin.

> Read books explaining the Bible before reading the Bible itself

Or not. If you already don't believe the Bible is the Word of God then Christianity likely isn't for you (it is the infallible source of authority for all three major Christian branches: Orthodox, Catholic, Protestant).

Start with the Bible

So much Satan in one post, I'm not sure where to begin.

No but it's cool keep worshipping your graven images even though the Bible clearly says not to twice in the New Testament! Couldn't live without MUH TRADITION.

Tell me why the Catholic Church isn't just a group of child molesters usurping the word of God. Oh wait you can't.

>mfw when Catholics believe I am the Vicar of Jesus Christ and am allowed to change the word of God based on MUH DIVINE RIGHT.

Tradition doesn't mean shit if it's been patently wrong for 1500 years. Rome incorporating Pagan worship into Christianity for national solidarity is well documented. Enjoy serving a child rapist.

childabuserecovery.com/pope-francis-found-guilty-of-child-trafficking-rape-murder/.

>Mfw I'm not even a Latin

By the way, man, your tone is highly uncharitable. Need I remind you of Matthew 10:16 or 1 Peter 3:15? Let's try and keep it civil.

Don't believe this cultist. The only real Christians are baptists. Read the bible and take a look at papists and eastern unorthodoxy and it's clear.

I guess if you want prepacked commercialized existentialism where you don't have to make your own choices then have fun and good luck....

not for me though

>among New Testament historians, there are many who consider the historical evidence for the resurrection to be significant.
[citation needed]

i dont mean that sarcastically. im really interested in reading about this

Why is it you are thinking of Christianity rather than other religions like Islam or Buddhism?

It's called faith. Either you have it or you don't.

>Islam

Maybe because he doesn't want to believe that the prophet of God was a child molesting schizophrenic that couldn't make up his mind about what "God" was telling him.

>Buddhism
If he gets it wrong this time, he has a whole 'nother life to figure it out.

I think Hinduism is a far more fascinating philosophy.

Fascinating? Absolutely!

Coherent? Ehh...

Consistent? Eh...

How exactly is Christianity more coherent and consistent than Hinduism?

It's a waste of time.

There may be truths written in the Bible, but you won't find anything meaningful to your life that you can't find elsewhere. Just don't be a douche bag and I'm sure if there's a god, he'll be chill after you die. Hell, maybe he doesn't even care what you do. Maybe this is all just a show for him. There's really no point in pursuing it, since you won't know for certain in this life.

If you really want to seek the truth, why don't you just dig into the sciences? More specifically physics. It's the best way we have to test the world around us. Hell, science actually led me to be open to the idea of a god after having completely lost faith.

Well, I used to be a Christian and I was always frustrated by how often I found other Christians arriving at entirely different interpretations of the same exact text.

Didnt bring it up because its a tad complex when it comes to westerners practicing it.

To start: There is not one universally accepted scripture. Sure, there are the Vedas, but then there are a slew of other scriptures which some follow and others don't, depending on the sect. Some may believe in the Upanishads, or the Bhagavad Gita, or some other gnostic script. However, they are all considered "Hindu" and are considered equal.

Hinduism is morally subjective in a way that Christianity isn't (see: Yoni/Lingam devotion, to start).

I once asked a friend of mine how many Hindu gods there are, and he replied with "We stopped counting." Granted, this is ignoring the sects that believe Brahma is the "only true" god.

Which is why the idea of "heresy" exists. "Heresy" is what unsound doctrine is called.

Came here to recommend this. Orthodoxy is fantastic. Highly recommend getting the annotated version, he makes a lot of cultural references that an early 20th century reader would understand more readily than an early 21st.

I know but anyone can claim any doctrine to be unsound.

Read Thomas Aquinas

Here is a quick fun summary.

youtube.com/watch?v=GJvoFf2wCBU

verily i will tell you a nonbeliever should never read the bible, because he will find things what does not make sense. for example

>. 16He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. 17And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; 18They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

and

14But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them, Ye men of Judaea, and all ye that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you, and hearken to my words: 15For these are not drunken, as ye suppose, seeing it is but the third hour of the day. 16But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;

17And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:

> last days

the last days were 2000 years ago, where is this holyghost now?