Last Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jzx3NXwDpl8
youtu.be/7N6JhX6fXE4
youtu.be/9IKVj4l5GU4?t=25s
youtube.com/watch?v=49vLwMh_02o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

the real victims of the missing episodes

What was the Ashes to Ashes quote in Smile? I must have missed it. Also, is it just me or in certain light do Capaldi's eyes look a different colour from one another these past two episodes? I thought it was a nod to Bowie but might be my mind playing tricks.

Right after he opens the pendant and then sees the emojibot:
>I'm happy, hope you're happy too.

Reminder that books

That's actually a pretty good cover.

Chris Ecclestone regeneration story - 10/10
David Tennant regeneration story - 7/10
Matt Smith regeneration story - 7/10

Yeah but when just isolating the regeneration scenes:
Matt > Chris > David

I'm a little conflicted about putting Chris before David. David's might seem to some to be a little overdone, but it at least has more vim and pomp and circumstance than Chris's does.

Matt's had good dialogue but seemed like he was just reciting his lines. Ecces = best.

don't miff the smith

Huge moves on Betfair Exchange for the 13th Doctor today. Which are even more meaningless than moves in primary bookie odds (none of the bookies have opened betting since Friday night), but still interesting.

>David Harewood (was 6:1) and Tom Ellis (was 8:1) are now tied with Kris Marshall and Phoebe Waller-Bridge at 1:1.
>Tilda Swinton (was 12:1) is now tied with Michaela Coel at 4:1.
>Paul McGann moved from 24:1 to 4:1 then back down to 20:1.
>Olivia Colman flat at 8:1
>Paul McGann: up from 20:1 to 4:1 then back to 20:1
>Everyone else who was better than 10:1 has fallen below it (yes, that includes your fave, Rosenthalanon).

There's no chance in hell there's an actual leak that got to hundreds of people, but not to the tabloids, saying that Chibs' shortlist is the 4 people at the top. And, even if there were such a leak, you'd make almost nothing buying Exchange bets on them (especially Kris and Phoebe).

So… who's doing this, and why?

>Paul McGann

What's going on here?

>no McGann

youtube.com/watch?v=jzx3NXwDpl8

Why is thread so dead lately? I feel really lonely because you are my only friends.

i know that feel

Dunno user, threads seem to be moving quite a bit faster than the off season. I've been a tad busier, doing spring cleaning and maintenance around the house, can't speak for anyone else. Glad you've found friends in /who/, I hope I'm one of them. Anyway, I hope things pick up for you,

You're one of my best friends Cloister.

Have a MEW.

Well thank you user! I understand she's in the latest installment of Fargo. I haven't seen it yet, but she was great in Brain Dead, shame it wont get a second season. Immigrant is quite the MEW fan as well iirc.

Are we friends? Since you seem to also appreciate Mary Elizabeth Winstead.

GOAT picture
I need to masturbate it now

I have no idea.

It implies that someone someone bought a bunch of bets on Paul McGann expecting a (real or fake) leak to come out on Monday, then sold them off when that didn't happen. But that would be silly—Betfair Exchange isn't a real options market, so you'd make very little money for all that effort (and cover).

On the other hand, for the same reason, the cost of doing this as a joke or to push an agenda or to get McGann in the news isn't that high—there's a large layout, but you get most of it back. So… maybe one of those? But it still seems very weird. Who would care enough to tie up a bunch of money over the weekend just because they want to see Paul McGann tied for sixth place for a couple days? (It's not like the tabloids even noticed—I only noticed because I'm playing with a script that scrapes and graphs the odds for other purposes.)

>Immigrant is a MEW fan

Kek. You remember.

And yes, she's in Fargo Season 3. She shows naked booty in the first ep.

The first episode was pretty good. We got to see plenty of MEW which was nice. Don't know if they'll surpass S1 though.

It seems we are.
>tfw mew will NEVER be in doctor who

Speak of the devil and he shall appear!
Hello Immigrant! That's good to know.
Yea season one with billybob was great. Dropped the second season two or three episodes in, kinda bored me desu.

So /who/ here is hype for 1st doctor and 12 team up at Christmas?

>Who would care enough to tie up a bunch of money over the weekend just because they want to see Paul McGann

Who indeed...

I at least hope she joins a superhero show.

I have a bunch of MEW pics in my folder . Never saw the leaked pic, tho. The leak made Mary sad!

Did you see Fargo?

I meant "Did you see Legion?"

As hype as I can without confirmation, though wasn't a huge fan as filtch as hartnel as the doctor. The story was good, but the impression was a bit meh.
preemptively answered

Yea, loved Legion. Kino incarnate.

Can I bet on Ralf Little anywhere?

Has the BBCA ratings for Class been released yet?

In some cases, I could believe that it's a publicist manipulating the betting to get one of their clients in the tabloids. You could easily come up with a good conspiracy theory for the runs on Phoebe Waller-Bridge (maybe she was about to go to Amazon to feel out a coproduction deal for Fleabag S2?) or David Harewood (contract negotiations for Supergirl?) or Tom Ellis (wants to be made a co-exec on Lucifer?).

But it's harder to imagine what the benefit is in giving someone a brief spike that doesn't get him into the top 10 or even last the weekend. That's not going to get into the tabloids.

I think you'll have to wait for one of the bookies to reopen bets.

Or you could just bet with your mates.

Or write to Ralf, he'll probably take the bet. (And if he refuses, then you know it's worth giving your mates whatever odds they want, right?)

Or maybe there's a rumour that 13 is currently appearing in a US show.

No ratings for episode 2 yet.

It was at the same time as NBA playoffs on ESPN again, right? As long as that's true, all basic cable ratings in that timeslot are more a measure of how little each show's audience overlaps with basketball fans than how big each show's audience is.

youtu.be/7N6JhX6fXE4 - r8 soundtrack guys

Well, yeah, but that's not a conspiracy theory, that's just the way it normally works—betting is based on what rumours are going around and which ones the punters think are most likely to be accurate.

Not many credible candidates there.

Key facets of a Dr Who:
1. Reputation within the BBC
2. As near to exclusive availability regardless of whether shooting or not (definitely no ITV, definitely no US commitments).
3. Suitability as the Corporation's flagship children's entertainer (ideally done some children's TV and able to handle it, this includes certain contractual limitations on what you can do in your private life).

Of course a relatively new face could qualify if they were expected to meet the above but if there are any doubts, no. Dr Who is kind of dangerous to the corporation if something goes wrong.

Holy shit

The Jelly that Bill ate was made out of people

youtu.be/9IKVj4l5GU4?t=25s

But the horror is that the people are being used as fertiliser, not that they're being used as food. (Which is actually true for everyone who's buried in a non-hermetically sealed coffins, but people get creeped out if it's not quite indirect and abstract enough, so it's an effective enough horror idea.)

oh god
turn on BBC one right NOW
poor peter
if only he only he remembered which bottle were his kidney meds

I have to be honest this episode doesnt look like a complete shit
Goat costumes

oh god
turn on ITV right NOW
poor BBC, only 94 years old
i'm crying

inb4 reeing over black people

I thought Smile was very dull but this one looks fun.

I'm just nervous about how much social commentary is going into it

It's written by Sarah 'fuck white males' Dollard. It's going to be packed with it, now she's done 'Face the Raven' she'll be allowed to put in whatever far-left drivel she wants.

BILL SLAVE SHIP EPISODE WHEN?

Just look at all this white privilege. I can tell this honkie gonna be the real villain

The question remains whether the "bit more black people than in the movies tho" line means they're going to ditch a realistic portrayal of 1800s race relations for "looks like we were all diverse all along, don't question it kiddies"

But regency era having a lot niggers is historically correct
Especially if we are talking London

He looks like a reject from Taboo
>THE FUCKING GALLIFREYANS, MR. DELANEY!

You're not wrong, but whether that's intentional or a happy coincidence remains to be seen. Can't rule out either at this point, especially considering moff's on record explaining why historical revisionism is a good thing ("by presenting the ideal past on screen we bring it forth into reality" or something equally absurd)

Moffat's been doing the classic-series knowledgeable-companion thing (Vicki, Zoe, Romana, Nyssa, etc.) since he took over, in different ways, meaning not all the exposition/technobabble has to be done by the Doctor in his quirky Doctor voice, and the companions can occasionally be separated from the Doctor without being totally in the dark.

Is Chibnall more likely to continue playing with that, or go back to the RTD era where only the Doctor knows everything?

12 is /fa/ as fuck

The problem is that a whore from Scotland, a pussy nurse, an English major and a canteen girl are all capable of keeping up. It almost makes the Doctor look stupid. Vicki got advanced schooling because she was from the future; Zoe was a mathematician, Romana was a Time Lady; Nyssa was a princess and thus well-educated in the sciences (at least, I think that's why she was well-learned.)
Then, of course, you get characters like Tegan — wonderful characters, but, of course, not the cleverest ones, because they're air hostesses or they're tribals from the Scottish highlands or they're girls who had no A Levels and spent their adult lives working in retail. And they're capable in their own right, but they leave the technobabble to the Doctor. And that's brilliant. That's just fine. At least then characters act the way they're characterized. You shouldn't run around acting clever when you titled a paper "Invasion of the Hot Italians" in school. That isn't to say that I don't like Moffat's companions barring Clara, but that they lack substance is a completely different conversation. I do like Bill, and she does seem eager to learn. Still, she's doing the working-things-out-and-making-the-Doctor-seem-slow thing a bit, which I don't appreciate.

Not that Russell was perfect in that respect. If Martha's a medical student, then she should know more than she seems to let on. I guess that doesn't technically qualify her to understand technobabble, though.

youtube.com/watch?v=49vLwMh_02o

cute kid

Episode 1 got 500K I believe

WE

WERE BOTH COMPANIONS
clever reference tbqh

NuWho has always pandered to the left, until now you could look past it but fuck this seasons Moffat is going full SJW.

>lesbian companion
>future is still sexist this is bloke paradise c'mon it's [CURRENT YEAR]
>muh social commentary and politics
>muh nuclear war

I'm talking about River and Nardole and the other recurring companions, and about Clara's arc. Amy, Rory, and Bill are not at all capable of playing solo at the Doctor's level, any more than Rose, Martha, and Donna were.

Bill, like Donna, isn't there to explain the universe to us, or the guest characters—they're there to be clever and attentive enough that they can spot the place in the Doctor's explanation where he skipped over something that sounded important that he might have missed.

But River, like Vicki or Nyssa, is a different story. She knows some of what's going on in advance, and can explain it to us, or to Amy/Barbara/Tegan. So it's no longer just a choice between "nobody knows but the Doctor" or "somehow the uneducated 19-year-old knows", you can just have River do the exposition dump instead.

Moffat's tried a few different ways of doing this. First he just brought back River repeatedly, and added a few more recurring characters. Then he gave Clara an quasi-Ace-ish arc where she gradually goes from audience identification figure to surrogate Doctor, so she can explain things to the guest characters. Now he's got Nardole, who's apparently going to be a full-time companion after episode 4.

SJA did something similar. It didn't quite work at first, with Luke explaining all the SF stuff to the other kids, but once they started rotating the cast, and having the older companions explain things to the newer ones, it usually succeeded.

But RTD Who made very little use of knowledgeable companions to take the weight off the Doctor knowing everything (mostly, it just happens in Jack's first episode and River's, both written by Moffat).

m8, the Seventh Doctor once fought a blatant caricature of Margaret Thatcher

Gareth Roberts was accused of historical revisionism for making King James gay in The Plotters. His response:

1. Many historians do actually think he's gay.
2. But actually, we don't know, and I did it because it makes for a better story.
3. And you're an idiot.

Looking for things to get angry about in a TV show because you think REEEing is a political statement makes you an idiot. If you do it for SJW reasons, you're not a leftist idiot, you're just an idiot. If you do it for Sup Forums reasons, you're not a rightist idiot, you're just an idiot. There is no difference.

Thinking that being against nuclear war ruins a show is silly enough (unless you're actually pro-nuclear war), and it's even sillier for a show that's made anti-nuclear-war stories since The Daleks in 1963, but watching that show just so you can complain about it goes beyond silly and into pathological.

>gay people existing is sjw
>either wanting the future to be sexist and for the characters to not comment on it, or be a completely perfect society, because THAT makes good TV
>my shows should be completely free of social commentary, so many shows and movies have absolutely none! for example...................paul blart mall cop, maybe
>nuclear weapons wont harm my godlike, achillean body so i dont have to worry about them and neither should the shows i choose to watch

>all these regeneration teasers actually build up to 13's halted mid-season regen, and all that energy is actualy redirected to revive SPOILAHS and we get to enjoy a few more years of smug

If you think Classic Who isn't, you're fucking delusional.

I have a theory that Capaldi isn't leaving at all, and it's all a big Moff ruse for him faking a regeneration like Matt did and still be the Doctor for S11. Moff knows he can't make a surprise regen with modern media, but he could do the opposite.

Is that a theory or just a desperate wish

Both. But it would explain why there's been no word on the next Doc, how a Christmas special with Bradley would work (it just wouldn't have to deal with a regen at all), why Capaldi said he "hoped it wouldn't be for a long while" one week then announced he was leaving practically the next, why Chibnall doesn't seem to be in a hurry, etc.

I doubt they're doing that, but if they really wanted to…

The best way would be to play the delayed regeneration story straight all year, and actually cast a 13th Doctor to take over in the middle of the Christmas special and then hand it back off at the end.

That would let them use the casting rumours to actually help them keep their secret instead of the opposite. And it would mean they could cast someone who's too famous/busy/whatever to actually be the Doctor for three years but can be gotten easily for 30 minutes of big event TV.

Overrated hipster show for teenage girls to goo over, desu senpai

Name my band /who/

The 18th Century Rascals, plus Jeff

Is this a fucking joke?

Come on. How fucking likely would it be for these kids to all have been friends without ANY racial tension? Daddy never came home drunk complaining about the ethnics? Seriously?

Yes, that would be almost as ridiculous as 1922 America creating a series like Our Gang/The Little Rascals, which could never happen in a million years. What's with this mad historical revisionism?

1) Kids probably don't care what daddy thinks. Nor do they care as much about skin color.

2) If a black kid wants to join the Urchins, and can steal with the rest of them, who cares? If anyone wants to say, they get pick-pocketed.

3) Even if those white kids have a problem with black people, they might make an exception for their black friends.

Just because racism was prevalent doesn't mean that friendships never crossed those lines. The past wasn't that black and white.

wake up /who/

Its bollocks. Like when Amy was talking back to those men in Vincent and the Doctor. They would have given her a good ol beating for being a woman.

Seriously? What's your proof of that?

I'm serious. What are your sources on that?

His sources are "I chose to be sexist because I thought it would make me cool, and now I refuse to believe there are men who aren't sexist and don't think I'm cool".

Guys, have you considered that maybe was being sarcastic, like was?

I mean, maybe he's an idiot, maybe he's being sarcastic, maybe he's being a troll, but don't just assume the first.

What have you infosorbed recently, /who/? I've personally been catching up with my 6 audios, but my collection of Lost Stories are horribly fucked.

Which six audios?

I'm gonna start Campaign here soon; I've heard it's a real mind-bender. I'm honestly dreading it just a little bit.

Don't. It's definitely a mind-bender, but it's never boring.

I'm currently rereading Toy Soldiers, because I saw a couple reviews that made it sound a lot better than I remembered.

So far, Roz is a better character than usual, and I like the way it plays with the Benny as almost as awe-inspiring to Cwej as the Doctor is, but the story seems as forgettable as I (don't quite) remember.

Pretty much all of them, I'm just going through them chronologically. The Lost Stories however are mostly fucked files, with few being genuinely 100% fine. Only issue I've got really, it's from that huge Big Finish torrent (that's dangerously outdated).

Good to hear. I've heard it's kind of the Ulysses of Who novels, so my fear was that it'd be a bit impenetrable.

Right, but specifically which six? Sorry, just got here, haven't been keeping up.

Campaign was much better on my reread (the revised edition, with all the notes) than the first time through.

I think it helps to either know a fuckton about 1963 Who history, or nothing at all. Being somewhere in the middle, I could see the references whiz by but couldn't quite get them, and that distracted me from noticing the important bits.

Oh, do you mean which Doctor or which six audios? I'm confused now myself. To answer both: the Sixth Doctor, I have his audios (as well as the other Doctors' audios) in chronological order on iTunes. As for the audios, pretty much Nightmare Fair-Guardians of Prophecy, barring a few good files.