I just marathoned the first episode of "Bill Nye Saves the World"

What did I think?
First off let me say, i get my doctorate in 3 weeks so I'm more educated than Bill but I'm also aware that education really doesnt count for much so I'll try to be as fair as possible.
In summary: The show itself seemed to lack structure and would jump all over the place. Every segment felt a little short but that was also good because none of them had much substance and it would have been painful to drag out. Bill never really finishes a thought. Why did he have a red liquid under the Bunsen burner? Why didn't the nuclear power guy get to finish his though on nuclear power being better than renewable?

The 'science' part of this show isn't really there at all. At no point was any real science talked about. The difficulty is maybe 8th grade to 10th grade level. I can't see anyone in college STEM courses learning anything from this show.

The show really felt more like a political show in the vein of The Nightly Show or Last Week Tonight. However those shows were organized very well and had good flow. This show lacts proper structure but was clearly inspired by Last Week Tonight with guest interviews, comedic skits sprinkled throughout and a comedic political themed monologue to fill out the rest.

The stars of this show were not impressive. Bill doesn't really have more to say about global warming than I would expect a high school student too. His co-stars, I think, are high school students, or perhaps telecom majors? Which isn't really more education than high school anyway. The monologues and science segmetns boil down to "Carbon Dioxide is bad, ice caps melting, why wont these REPUBLICAN CHRISTIANS FIX IT!!!". That’s about as technical as it gets. Interestingly his guests seemed to be very knowledgeable but Bill wont let them say more than a few sentances.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qN5L2q6hfWo
youtube.com/watch?v=sT_bTnkwLuE
youtube.com/watch?v=2dcYJIRnUC8
youtube.com/watch?v=Wllc5gSc-N8
youtube.com/watch?v=a2exu65Jekc
youtube.com/watch?v=46h-LfNWPn8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The show opens up with Bill giving a monologue about science. This is the usual meme we see from science popularizers like Dawkins and Harris. "the wonder of discovery and evidence". He introduces some costars and 'gets started'.
Its weird because he has a 'lab' and a live studio audience.

There is a, I think comedy segment, where he spends a lot time setting up a Bunsen burner to heat up a flask of a red liquid. He does some pantomime type stuff where he 'comedically' puts on glasses and the audience find it funny. Then he heats up the flask to applause.

Then he picks up a thermometer and explains that liquid heats up and expands. Then he says water is going to be knee high in Virginia if we don't stop global warming.

Next it cuts to a skit segment where a black guy tries to buy coffee but he can't because global warming killed the coffee beans and pandas. The audience laughs and the two share some black beans.

It cuts back to Bill in the lab. He tells us that he wasn't going to get a new show without talking about global warming.

I've taken a lot of astrophysics courses in my educational career so I'm well educated on studying planetary atmospheres. The explanation bill give in his monologue hear is even below the level of detail in a 100 level astronomy book let alone what I would call useful. He essentially gives a high school level description of CO2 in the atmosphere and then spends the rest of the monologue with some warnings about all the fish in the ocean dying if we don't stop it. Also there is a plastic terrarium on his desk that he puts his hand in.

Next it cuts to a segment about flooding in Venice. They say that global warming was causing the flooding and discuss a building project lower the tide levels during high tide. The segment lasts about 2 minutes.
This segment is pretty dishonest and the young female star talks like she doesn't know to much about the topic. Venice has had flooding problems since they diverted all the rivers to make a marsh around the city. The city has had taxes in place since 1604 to repair flood damage. In addition the city has been sinking 2 mm a year which is more of a problem than the rising of the sea.

BIll then interviews his costar about it and they basically just reinforce that global warming is the cause. Pretty disappointing. The information given here isn't really science but more of tour guide level of information.

Next Bill has a segment called "bill needs a minute". In this segment he rants about climate change deniers. He says that the US could lead the world in solving climate change. He also says that WWII was solved in five years by the USA.

Next he introduces a panel. The first guy is an engineer from stanford who has a plan to make the US on renewable energy. He talks for about 30 seconds but seems pretty intelligent. The second guy specializes in nuclear power. He doesn’t say much more than we should use nuclear power. Bill moderates a discussion between the two and does a good stimulating a debate between renewable and nuclear. But he cuts off the guys after a few sentances to make some jokes. The third guest is a meme scientist (aka her career isn't doing science its Ifuckinglovescience pop science podcasting) and she acts more like a missionary talking about converting people to the cause. By the end of the panel bill has talked as much as the other 3 guests.

Then it cuts to segment called Bill and Carlie explain and the topic is ocean acidification:
Bill and Carlie put on a lab coat to do an experiment. They have a flask of water and bill breathes CO2 into the water to show that the water becomes acidic. After 5 seconds they high five and bill moves to the front stage for his monologue.

The monologue is mostly 'I told you so' but its interrupted by Zach Braff (I think he's an MD?). Zach takes the position of someone who is apathetic about climate change and they tell some jokes and there is a strange amount of Bill shilling his books. Zach talks about 'anti-science' politicians. I guess anti-science is the new buzzword because it was all over that rally this past weekend in boston. They have a call to action to do something about climate change.

Unfortunately, the patricians already know the truth, so a show like this with a clearly political agenda has to dumb it down to the plebeian level. This is about changing as many minds as possible, not appealing to the top 20% able to do their own research.

Sorry you watched a show meant for redditors. It's not meant for you because you probably aren't a moron.

>He also says that WWII was solved in five years by the USA.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Go on, OP. This is good shit.

The amount of autism that went into this thread makes me laugh.

>OP makes a quality thread
>"only autistic people do that"

>>reddit

That's for informing me this thread is worth bumping reddit

Bill himself has a weird sense of humor. I wouldn't say its funny at all though. Its him being ironically cheesy half the time and sarcastic mocking of 'science deniers' the other part of the time.

I can't really see it being that successful as its not funny. Its the type of humor that the most boring high school kid will use with his friends. Even the Zach Braff (the show calls him a comedian) segment isn't funny.

Its also not a science show. I think a 6th grader could watch the show and understand everything. Its more of a political show with a science theme.

If you want science you'd probably be better off looking up the two guests and watching a lecture from them.

The other problem I have with the show is it is simply dishonest. The whole venice segment is dishonest. The tide dam thing they are talking about was planned over 30 years ago before climate change was an issue but they treat it as though our doom is imminent.

I've run into this problem before with Bill. He was on Tucker Carlson last month talking about how the earth was heating up Britian so much grapes could grow there for the first time ever.
Well, I've read Caesar's memoirs when I was studying Latin and Caesar talks about growing vineyards there. I'm also well read on how Prince Henry dissolved all the monastaries where English whine was made during hte reformation.

youtube.com/watch?v=qN5L2q6hfWo

I honestly just think Bill Nye is dumb though, I dont think he's lying on purpose. This guy just likes hearing his own voice and he kind of rambles like it on the show.

Overall I give it 1 star. I don't think even the most hard core liberal who browses reddit and IFUCKINGLOVESICNE will enjoy this.

>quality thread
>autistic blogposting over multiple posts with le happy merchant drawing of bill nye

Maybe, but all I did was type my thoughts as I watched the episode so it wasn't really much work. It took exactly 30 minutes and I wanted to actually see what people thought of it.

>Bill Nye the Reddit Goy

Nice sponge meme you thread expert

>Tyler the Creator did the intro music
>literally all I know

Fuck you OP this show is fucking cool. You're just working for the corporate shills who wanna ramp up coal!

sounds like the old Milgram thing, someone puts on a lab coat, says he's an authority, and everyone will believe and do what he says.

Nice blog friend, where do I subscribe?

BILL NYE IS A DUMB FAGGOT

WHAT HAPPENED IS, HE LOOKS LIKE A STEREOTYPICAL TEXTBOOK DEFINITION OF A NERD, IS MINIMALLY CREDENTIALED AS A >>SCIENTIST, SO THEY CASTED HIM AS LE NERDY SCIENCE PRESENTER FOR A POP-SCI TV SHOW IN THE 90S

NOW MILLENNIAL SHILLARY VOTERS ARE INTO NOSTALGIA, THEY ASSOCIATE BILL NYE WITH SCIENCE, AND HE PARROTS ALL THE LIBERAL PSEUDOSCIENCE BULLSHIT THEY LOVE ECHO CHAMBERING TO EACHOTHER

PERFECT FOR A NETFLIX SHOW IN DRUMPF'S AMERICA

I remember the first time I saw that Bill Nye video on facebook where he rags on pro-lifers. Completely ignoring your opinion on the issue, the video was intensely condescending and heavily implied that anyone with a scientific understanding of the process of reproduction could never be pro-life. Everything I've seen from him since then has been in that vein, where he is not only completely certain of his views, but certain that only the stupid and uninformed could disagree with him, and it makes his stuff completely unwatchable.

Thanks OP, we must oust the redditors plaguing this website every chance we get. Anyone even interested in this show MUST be called a redditor twice a day or else we have failed.

>He says that the US could lead the world in solving climate change.
>The biggest polluters on the planet are China, Mexico, and India
ok.jpg

pls no bully.

Also, one more comment on the panel because I want to be fair. There is a rule with TV shows that you don't let the guest talk at too high of an intelligence level. If you ever watch Bill O'Reilly or Jon Stewart or Stephen Colbert or Bill Maher they always ask the guests questions and if they start talking to technical they will interrupt with a joke or in Bill's case a pivot back to Obama/democrats.

Thats because the average retard who actually watches TV isn't watching to learn they are watching to be entertained. People yelling about politics is fun and people talking about GPD growth and export numbers is boring.

Bill's panel moderation isn't actually doing this though. First off its a science show so you kind of expect the guests to get technical. Bill interrupts them really before they even get a full thought going. They read the first sentance of their 5 paragraph essay and thats about it. They never even got to a thesis.Bill kind of interrupts just so he can make a joke or hear himself talk not really to make sure the show is good.

Please do this for that episode with the vagina song. I don't want to watch it, but I'd like to know if it has anything of even remote worth. Your sacrifice is appreciated.

wow this thread is... full of fags

>"I just marathoned the first episode"
>watching an entire episode about science was a marathon for OP

How's your first day on Sup Forums been?

>dude if you make a post longer than a couple lines ur an autism
fucking phonefag redditors, this is why we can't have nice things

I'm glad my fellow scientist also see this
It's clearly pushing an agenda

>be Bill Nye
>Cornell grad 77'
>no one cares about real scientists
>take a few acting courses
>90s
>convince people you're a scientist and not some actor
>get Disney show
>grab mad pussy
>lay low for two decades
>reborn as meme-Neil-Degrass-Tyson-God-Like legend of science community

>yfw you will never fully learn the art of the deal

I will say that the set was cool and the show itself was astheticaly pleasing. The female co-star is definately good looking.

But, I looked her up and she is actually a fashion model. Seems they just added her to the show for eye candy purposes. She has literally zero education past high school so I was right on that one.

This

>started thread with meme image that clearly display his biased nature
>starts saying "I gave it a fair chance" thus proving it's not true
>continue with multiple post of "why are you bad for watching a show about science for kids and teenagers"

Before this thread, all I knew about the first episode was that Bill obnoxiously shit all over the nuclear guy because MUH CHERNOBYL and didn't give him a chance to talk, which was enough for me to lose all interest in it. Thanks for summarizing what we all probably assumed OP.

wow this really is pulling in all the reddit fags.

Nice, but i feel most of my colleagues in my lab wouldn't watch this show but would atleast pretend to like Bill Nye for style points.

We all remember our first day. stand up and tell us your name and your favorite food, user.

Every critique leveled is fair. If you have an issue with the posts, why not address them instead of whining like a little bitch that your new favorite show got called out?

>implying I wast time watching shows that are clearly made for younger people

Of course it's pushing an agenda; a blind retard could see that. It's about as subtle as a sledge hammer

Bill Nye the BBC

>It cuts back to Bill in the lab. He tells us that he wasn't going to get a new show without talking about global warming.
The plot thickens.

>reborn as meme-Neil-Degrass-Tyson-God-Like legend of science community
I love how after blacksciencemememan failed to do enough, they brought in the first whitesciencemememan they could find as if "tolerant" liberals would care more about what he has to say about intelligent topics if he was white.

>Its more of a political show with a science theme.
You just described modern science, basically.

underrated

>suddenly everyone on Sup Forums is a scientist

What a fucking travesty the science march was

what exactly are you getting a doctorate in?

I dont know if I have it in me. Maybe I will finish out the season. I've basically finished my doctorate so I have about 4 weeks until I finish with about 6 hours of work to do and the rest is free time.

If I do I'll post with that merchant bill image again

gynecology

>Bill Nye comes back
>Oh boy fun experiments in front of a live audience
>Will Neil Degrasse Tyson show up?
>What about Stephen Hawking
>Watch clip from the show
>It's a chick singing MUH VAGINA

At least Beakman had a good comeback
youtube.com/watch?v=sT_bTnkwLuE

Can't believe he actually said this.

What a sick KEK

microbiology focus in evolution.

I have a lot of astrophysics because id like to study astrobiology and extremophiles as it should be a nice comfy field in the next 30 years.

Same with the women's march.

I think the trend now is to dress up protests as supporting "concepts" so people can pretend they're apolitical.

This is a logical extension of the leftist habit of acting like their political beliefs are the same as morality. (i.e. "You aren't supporting a cause, you're just being better than the human garbage who aren't here!")

>This show lacts proper structure but was clearly inspired by Last Week Tonight with guest interviews, comedic skits sprinkled throughout and a comedic political themed monologue to fill out the rest.
You'd think that would be the biggest alienating factor. Watching a show with a general subject with specific focuses on each episode is what made The Science Guy show work since the skits and intermissions related to the main point and they were decently spread out.

if you discover a bacterial mini alien can you name it after a Sup Forums meme?

Where'd you study?

>Baneposting in a species name

>and next, this bacteria, discovered in 2019, designated as "BigGuy"

Itd be too easy to look me up if I gave that away

yes bigI4u. I will sneak it in to a gene's name or something. Easily doable.

based user

Good thread OP

This was better than watching that trash.

>so we looked at the data

Will it get renewed for a second season?

youtube.com/watch?v=2dcYJIRnUC8

what a meme

t. plebbit

The hardest part of any american show is listening to the audiences ecstatic reaction to everything. Bills comedy bits were aimed at children, "i put my glasses on wrong" could barely entertain a toddler, but there is a full audience of 20+ year olds screaming their lungs out and clapping their hands to gibblets over it

why are you fuckers watching this shit when carl sagan cosmos marathon is on twitch

>people actually deny climate change
>literally want the lizards to end humanity
>the jews literally allowing the lizards to end humanity for a few years longer life
>tfw i have no face

Twitch is concentrated cancer

>scare tactics dont work
>scare them harder
yup,hes a liberal

what did he meme by this?

>youtube.com/watch?v=Wllc5gSc-N8

>youtube.com/watch?v=a2exu65Jekc

>youtube.com/watch?v=46h-LfNWPn8

THIS IS THE END OF WESTERN CIVILIZATION, ISN'T IT?

Did you just try and factshame me shitlord? Back to pole ya go

just seems like a man who is desperate to help humanity get itself out of a hole, something that is proving incredibly difficult, and i knew beforehand the show would be a hot mess because of this

but if you don't support this man and encourage him to keep trying his best to make people scientifically literate and advance humanity, you are a walking sack of garbage

If you want to improve the world you have the same goals as pol but don't realize it. Mainly lowering population in Africa and Asia

humanity needs to end desu

(((Carl Sagan)))
That show is literally astronomy 101 with fancy graphics. kys my boy

If we killed everyone in Africa CO2 emissions would go down (breathing, driving), all the african species could recover from ooga boogas over hunting them and the rainforests and savanaahs could reclaim land producing more oxygen and consuming CO2.

I guess Sup Forums and lefties do have somehting in common.

Black Science Man starred in Cosmos 2.0, made a cameo in BvS and is a Reddit darling. How is he a failure?

Stop being a Malthusian prick. The last guy that did killed 12 million people.

Thank you I enjoyed reading this blog

>microbiology focus in evolution.
LMFAO
Enjoy $15/hr job at a shitty research facility

Captain Dissillusion is good shit

Name one of his scientific discoveries

did you actually read it or are you meming me

he killed planet Pluto.

BTFO

>First off let me say, i get my doctorate in 3 weeks

stopped reading here. No you aren't. You're an uneducated Sup Forumsbeard

How does it feel knowing Based Bill only got a BA in Engineering he already has more fame than any labmonkey with phd?

you are just going thru the motions my boi

degenerate, degrade, encourage orgies of all sexual orientations, make it cutsie so kids will like it, and call it science.

you're not fooling anyone, jidf

Zack Braff is the star of Scrubs

he's an actor

>everyone who doesn't like what I like is a fat nazi

wew lad.

If STEMfags are hoping to get educated on a fucking tv show then this world is truly lost.

>the fat autistic redditor is back

>He also says that WWII was solved in five years by the USA
What a fucking moron holy shit

WHY DOES THIS SHOW FOR THE GENERAL AUDIENCE HAS GENERAL AUDIENCE LEVEL STUFF? WHY ISN'T THIS AS COMPLICATED AS MY THIRD YEAR COLLEGE STUDIES?

Is bill nye Jewish?