VAR to be used at the World Cup in Russia

>Video assistant referees are set to be used at this year's World Cup in Russia after football's lawmakers voted to approve the technology.

bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43269186

Just heard this on the radio. It's still nowhere near ready.

Ah, so that's how we get eliminated.

VAR doesn't help if the ref is a moron

right decision

FSB btfo, you know they tried to buy off all the refs

Recently I read interview with Boniek and he said that the biggest problem with var is that most judges aren't used to it, because it isn't used in thier countries.

>30 second delay in celebrations after every goal

If England were to lose in the world cup final because of a mistake that VAR could have fixed; would you still be shit talking it?

JUST

England won`t get to a world cup final and the awful slow as shit dodgy matches won`t be very enjoyable either.

do it like cricket and keep it to 2 reviews per team.
a team can appeal 2 times against any decision in the whole game and have the tv umpire check it.

It won't change anything. Most bad ref calls are intentional.

>Argentine commentator laughing at the ref after he only gave that player a yellow

>inb4 russians hacked the var

I don't understand how people can be against this. Video referees are used in just about every major sport and the benefits always outweigh any negatives.

I'm sure the Russians will have all the bugs worked out in time.

>the American system
It's better to be used for anything that needs correction otherwise it feels unfair and extremely gimmicky

Have you watched any of the two competitions we've been using it in this year? It's a fucking shitshow

That's not because of the technology itself though, that's just human error from not being used to it.

I miss the days we'd get knocked out because of some controversy rather than just being shit

It's working better and better over here, but in the beginning it was quite chaotic.

It's quite good to check goals for clear offsides and review given penalties for potential dives or non-offendable handballs.

The problems are in-game situations, where the ref has to interrupt the game flow to review a scene. Very anti-climatic.

VAR fucking sucks, please don't

t. A-league fan

I, too, am a league fan.

will this be the worst world cup since USA 94?

It isn't ready. Flow is vital in football so this needs a lot of testing to minimize the impact. It took FIFA 15 years to get fucking vanishing spray in the WC, they could hold back until Qatar.

>it isn't ready

Vanishing spray wasn't in Fifa 15 m8

VAR is a trash concept. Goalline tech uses technology to make instantaneous decision on something that is objective. With VAR there is no technology. You're basically changing the nature of the game to allow a guy in a studio to make a judgment call. There's no tech involved.
And goals/red cards are a miniscule part of mistakes made by a ref. What if the first yellow was incorrect but the second one is coreect? What if the freekick which led to the corner which ultimately led to the goal was incorrect? Completely destroying the viewing experience over something that won't be improved that much anyway.

There's also the problem of asymmetry, you can pull back an offside goal but you can't award a goal for an incorrectly given offside call

Have they not watched how it absolutely sucked the life out of games recently? Football with VAR is an NFL tier sport.

oh fuck this is going to be terrible, World Cup ruined

>flow is vital
>players spend a quarter of the game rolling around on the floor waiting for the ref to make a decision then the others crowd around him yelling at him

I think the problem is how it is being employed - if you take the mata goal (with the wonky lines) for example, the referee stops play for 5 minutes for the VAR to try and work out something with centimetres of difference.

VAR shouldnt be used to check absolutely every goal or red card or whatever, 95% of the decisions are subjective anyway, it should be there to correct the most glaring and obvious of errors - linesman isnt in position and doesnt see that scorer is a meter offside? VAR whispers in the refs ear and everyones happy.

this is good flow that is vital to the game

And yet still, it has more flow than

>Pass is made
>Entire team changes, 3 minute break
>Another pass is made, intercepted
>Entire team changes, 3 minute break
>5 minute break for the Amerilife Advertcorps Advert Madness Minutes

>Muhammad discovers sports are different
Where did I say that flow was vital to the NFL and VAR would ruin it?

Goal line technology should be the limit. Everything else is too subject to interpretation, glaringly obvious offsides, aside.

>Izzy P. Abrahamowicz II throwing his giant american mass around thinking he is entitled to an opinion on flow when the 'sports' played in USA have less than 0

For the largest sport competition in the world? No, it isn't.

Absolute disgrace. Changes the game in a negative way.

VAR is based

Why the fuck is everybody complaining?

because they are FIFAshills or muh flow fags

Nice.

I'd appreciate VAR a lot more if the clock was actually stopped whenever play stopped.

>what is added time

You mean something that the refs can add as much as they want? Fergie time is an infamous example.

As a soccer referee myself I'm happy about this. And I still never stop laughing at how asinine European soccer fans are when it comes to refereeing. First off none of you know any of the fucking rules, but the better part is

>complain constantly about the refs
>they come up with a video replay system, like how TV broadcasts can see exact moment freeze frame offside calls or super slow mo triple zoom 5 camera angles of fouls
>soccer fans should be overjoyed at this, another way to get the game right
>you all complain about how it slows down the game, WHY CAN'T THE REFS JUST BE PERFECT AND NOT NEED VIDEO ASSIST

If the VAR evaluation takes 6 minutes, you can be damn sure those 6 mins will be added. Additional time being totally arbitrary is a meme

>Billy Herrington
> +4m added, winning goal at +9m
no one said totally arbitrary, but it's totally discretionary when to end it. 'as much as they want' is correct.
dont go full on retarded when you are just nit picking a widely accepted point.