twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I miss this too.

Only 2000's kids will remember

MY FUCKING EARS GET THE FUCKING REMOTE

I WANT YOU TO HIT ME AS HARD AS YOU CAN

Pretty comfy

>to own on video AND dvd
what did they mean by this

I remember being a kid and everyone in my house had fallen asleep after watching brother near and I was just laying in the living room listening to the DVD menu cycle sounds and cycling through the trailers again and again. I remember specifically someone telling "are we there yet?" From far away. I miss being a kid, bros. It was so much simpler.

What's a video?

you have the ability to own the film in either format

This. And 90s kids remember it even more.
youtu.be/uSh645mWYRE

video isn't a format

My Goldmember DVD was one of those early DVDs that had a commercial for DVDs in general play before the menu. It was kind of funny watching it a few years later and seeing them go WITNESS THE INCREDIBLE CLARITY AND AWESOME SOUND OF DVD!!!

Me and my siblings used to watch TV together. We were never as close to each as the average family in our teen years but it was one thing that we did together. Then Netflix came and everyone has their profile and just watches their own shit. We don't watch anything together anymore, the TV is just a part-time video game display and part-time solo movie/show watching screen. Sigh....lads...

>tfw primary motivation for wanting to see a technological singularity is to relive '95-'07 over and over in my cyberdungeon.

First ever DVDs

Video Home System (VHS)

Comfy af
youtu.be/ru9c7sk3bdQ

>be kid
>take trip to video store
>browse the isles looking for something cool
>get some candy and go home
>kids these days will never know the feeling of excitement and anticipation of going to the video store. Netflix ruined everything

I remember when DVDs first came out, I'd compare the quality of an average DVD to a VHS tape and I thought that we had achieved peak picture quality.

Now if I watch an early 00s DVD it looks pretty meh-tier

>Netflix ruined everything
correct

>DVDs that had THX calibration

kino
youtube.com/watch?v=iUhu7sN474o

The thing I always liked was just perusing the spines of the DVD cases, reading blurbs on the backcover, picking a movie you're not even sure you'll like. Yeah, you'd have to watch some duds, but that's how you discovered films you'd never think to watch.

For me at least it's much harder to just pick a movie at random off Netflix. I tend to want to stick to titles I'm familiar with

THX actually gives these out on blurays

I remember renting Blade on vhs and bringing it to my grandma's house for a sleepover. She would make me supper and make me all comfy in the basement and come down and check on me every so often and just sit and watch me watch the movie. The analog graininess of the small old tv, the musky and familiar smell of their home, and my grandmother's happiness to have her grandson warm and safe in her house. She wouldn't understand what I was watching--she was from the old country. She had a slight grandma-type adorable worry about what I was watching. Fuck guys. Honestly what's the point of moving forward?

wreckd

Why were u just listening to the menu?

i want to go back, but as a 21-year old

i was too young for blockbuster, but whenever i see couples going to redbox at a shitty 7-11 I knew they're missing out on some good times

90s were dogshit

I remember once at my grandma's the adults wanted to watch some grown up movie so I went to the bedroom and watched local broadcast TV on an old black and white rabbit ears. It just so happened they were playing a Western too so for a couple hours I went full '50s, it was pretty nice.

>visiting Blockbuster
>going into the anime/cartoons section and seeing things that you had no idea what they were, like Ghost in the Shell, End of Evangelion, or that weird Death & Rebirth one
>Get a YuGiOh or a Pokemon dvd/vhs instead

Good times

That's actually awesome

I actually explored some Anime like that since I had a player in my room to watch alone at night.

>Devil Hunter Yoko, Digimon, Yugioh, Sonic SatAM, and a lot of gamecube games.

I wanted to watch Steel Angel Kurumi but it had the 18+ warning. Somehow Yoko didn't despite the entire premise being about having to protect your virginity to keep your superpowers.

>not steel witch annerose

>too young for blockbuster
Er what?
They only phased out maybe 7 years ago

more like 10

The one near me closed in 2013.

I remember going to my local blockbuster in 2011, your wrong my man.

Both these answers beg the question how one could be too young to remember blockbuster

I went to a video store a few weeks ago.

They have some used DVDs for 2 bucks a piece. I take Melancholia, War Inc., Scoop and Blackout.

Now Melancholia it's one of my favorites. War Inc. was a pleasant surprise. Scoop was a fine Woody Allen thriller and Blackout was another good one too.

I have to agree there is some excitement in finding jewels you hadn't planned to watch. And also:

>true hi-def Blu-ray and 7GB DVDs

Anybody remember VCDs? It seems like everyone just jumped from VCRs to DVDs in America.

VCDs solely existed to sell bootlegs. I made a killing in middle school/early high school when dvd burners were expensive but most people had gotten DVD players

Looks like it came out in 2012.

>Anybody remember VCDs?

They lived longer as pirate goods than anything else.

People still make fun of the >YIFY meme, but don't seem to get why it was so important the video file came in at under 700MB. That was the VCD data limit.

Later people just upped it to ~900MB which was pointless, just slightly better quality. But by then nobody knew what a VCD was.

Same, not to mention Netflix's film selection has been getting shittier with each passing year.

Netflix has been shit since 2013, its such a shame too.

> not Nurse Witch Komugi

I own Blade on VHS and one of the trailers for it was advertising the new DVD format and how it would be coming soon

youtube.com/watch?v=m08KC1rPvdE

I want to go back before my parents split up and I developed depression at 8

I always remember this because of pic related

I wish I could find my old VHS copy with all the trailers like Ned's Newt

>netflix ruined everything
Yes because it was SO fun to drive to a video store, browse vague descriptive movie covers looking for something decent just to choose the one with the coolest boxart anyways, then pay 10x the price for candy, then go home, watch the movie, and return it the next morning to avoid the 5$ late fee. Also, only allowed to rent 2 movies at a time

Last remaining Blockbusters went bankrupt in 2013

I distinctly remember picking up Killzone 3 for $5 during its closing clearance sale.

There's still a skeleton number of them in Alaska. One of them is on North Pole Road

>Fuck guys. Honestly what's the point of moving forward?

So maybe you can do that for your own grandchild one day, and they can then experience those comfy feelings.

:3

Sorry you got touched user

It was fun when it was my dad and mom doing the driving and buying.

That's almost kinda sad.

When I see the Paramount bumper, I instantly think either the Star Trek movies or Indiana Jones.

this post looked weird at first because I'm so used to people writing it "rekt"

hella epic and reddit ;)

>Not going to Walmart, buying a box of microwave popcorn, candy, and a pack of Pokemon cards, then heading to Blockbuster with mom and dad and getting to browse movies you'd never heard of and pick something at random because mum and dad always got one movie for them, one movie for the family, and you could get one movie or game for yourself.

>Not sitting down with your family after a day out of the house, popping some popcorn, and watching a great movie until you fell asleep because it was the sense of family, not the movie that made the experience.

>Not waking up Saturday morning and watcing your personal selection before going to the park.

You know, it never really dawned on me how fucking shitty and obnoxious having commercials on a VHS was.

Ah, racist Looney Tunes cartoons. Truly the epitome of nostalgia.

Mah-nigga.jpg

GIMME BACK MY SON!

give me back my hand :'(
GIVE ME BACK MY HAAAND!!

you sound like a blast at parties

This takes me back, some Batman VHS I watched over and over as a kid had this in it. Feels like prehistory now.

Have you ever bought or rented a video tape that wasn't quite right??
youtube.com/watch?v=1FNqBZ9n-A8

Hooooly shit

I WANNA BE THE MAIN EVENT
LIKE NOOO KING WAS BEFORE
I'M BRUSHING UP, I'M LOOKING DOWN
I'M WORKING ON MYY ROOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRR

>THIS CHILD IS GETTING WILDLY OUT OF WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING

Please tell me someone has a youtube link to this. I don't know what to search

Make a better choice...Ratings advice - use it. It's on every video...
youtube.com/watch?v=KBNT_ogZm34

>The medium of film will never be this glamorous ever again

This was my first dvd

Oh you'll go back...

You'll go back my friend.....

BACK TO HELL!

>tfw you'll never experience Planet Earth in ugly low-res 720p for the first time again

10's kids will never understand this feel

>Be wee lad of 10 years of earth age in 2004
>Goto friends house for a sleepover
>We goto the video rental place up the block from his house
>It was a dingy place that had musky old VHS tapes amongst a sea of DVD's
>Notice that there was an adult section that seemed bigger then the entire store
>We end up renting out Jackass the Movie on DVD
>Video clerk didnt seem to mind us 2 10 year olds renting out an R-Rated movie
>We buy some candy and head back
>We plop it in his PS2
>Never laughed harder at anything in my entire life
>The next week we find an old wheelchair in the trash
>We learned how to do wheelies on it
>Fast forward
>Rewatch the movie again in 2017
>Couldnt laugh once

>"are we there yet?"

Hella fuckin funny movie.

as a child, you saw that blue rectangle, and you ran

>ywn work in a comfy sports-oriented shop with ice cube eyeing biddies from the store window
why even live

>going to the video kiosk with dad on a friday afternoon
someone turn back time