The Thing

Today I watched The Thing and I must say: a scary masterpiece of horror film.

I loved the characters, soundtrack, the pace, locations and the Thing itself.

And I watched the film all thanks of Sup Forums: you guys.

Thank you.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=oYddsPb6in8
youtube.com/watch?v=TjwpIa9hVkg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

good lad

It's a good film, but i don't know how people find it scary

Also I have some questions:

Can the Thing absorb a dead body?

Is MacReady or Childs one of them or both the Thing?

What happend to Neals the young nigger?

The idea of being in an isolated area and something horrible going wrong is terrifying to me.

Also, those creature effects are still unnerving. I get a similar feeling when I look at deep sea creatures.

scary isn't always jump-scares

>Can the Thing absorb a dead body?

I don't actually know, never thought of that really.

>Is MacReady or Childs one of them or both the Thing?
There are many theories, but the most popular one is Childs is infected

>What happened to Neals the young nigger?
Most likely dead

If you liked it try The Fly or Alien

The movie itself isn't all that scary, but the ideas behind it are scary. I've genuinely stayed up at night thinking about the monster, and what it means, for a creature like that to exist, one would have to take a completely atheistic view on life, as it treats all people as no more than biological organisms for consumption, the unstoppable nature of it alone is terrifying. Then you begin to think of what assimilation would be like, etc, etc.
probably, I assume it kills its victims before assimilating them, also, in the blood test scene, Windows started coming back to life after clearly being deaded, clearly showing signs of assimilation.

Up to you to decide, Carpenter once tweeted that one of them was, but it's all up to the viewer to decide who. in the script Mac had a flamethrower under his jacket, but it never shows in the film.

>What happend to Neals the young nigger?
something bad

I know, but that's not what i mean. The atmosphere is more tense than anything. The film is never really pure scariness.

Likely not since it has no cellular activity.

Neither of them. It's ambiguous, but there's no evidence to show that either of them were, inb4 that terrible analysis of how Childs was a thing.

Killed in a deleted scene, iirc, by the megathing near the end.

I have watched Alien already, The Fly? Well I really dont like the gore and green slimy blood and gore shit.

This.
I'm the biggest pussy ever and The Thing never made me budge.
But it was a thrilling movie.

He escaped and went to to become a Michelin starred chef. Roller skates work surprisingly well on deep snow.

The Thing is not "scary", is tense and suspensful.

>I assume it kills its victims before assimilating them
The dogs were clearly still alive.

>Windows started coming back to life after clearly being deaded
That's because Windows had been dead for scant moments, his cells were still alive. Logic dictates that at most The Thing can do that, assimilate the very recently deceased.

>Can the Thing absorb a dead body

Yeah, the last thing is made of two bodies and some of the dogs

>Today I watched The Thing and I must say: a scary masterpiece of horror film.
How young are you?
also calm down with the spacing

Neither of them was The Thing, they were so close to the fire that either of them should be acting erratically

>I'm the biggest pussy ever
have you watched Room 1408?

why are
you guys
so triggered
by spaces
???

>they were so close to the fire that either of them should be acting erratically

I don't think the Thing survived, but that's a poor argument for it. The Thing is not a dumb animal that would react by sheer instinct like that to being near fire.

Why are you all assuming the Thing's gender by calling it an "it"?

you see how it reacted in the petri dish, granted it was on contact

The gasoline theory is at least plausible, though it's a fairly large stretch. What are some of your theories, or just otherwise theories about the film in general?

Stop-frame claymation really irks me. Can't explain it.

The "blood" reacted like you would if poked with a red-hot wire, that was the point. And you wouldn't act erratically just by virtue of sitting near a fire.

If Childs was a Thing, why didn't he attack McReady, who was unarmed and completely exhausted?

No, is it scary?

My theory:

Neither of them was the thing.

Last foe, why want play with him?

Aside from The Thing, what are some other essential Kurt Russell films?

>Escape from New York
>Tombstone

The movie literally completely spells it out for you, I don't get why people have this same fucking discussion in every thread

Bone Tomahawk is Kurt Quinoa in his purest form.

21 years old and I was using the iphonr

Is the The Thing from 2011 worth watching?

yes, i wish they'd have used the practical effects though, the fucking studio MADE THEM use cgi when they had some fucking killer practicals.

Ennio Morricone got two Razzie Nominations in 1983, one of which was for the Thing. Not gonna lie, the "tension string" sound is pretty jarring. Otherwise, still amazing.

youtube.com/watch?v=oYddsPb6in8

had some jumpscares... i enjoyed the atmosphere and the setting a lot n has cusack n fishburne innit. ending was a bit eh

I love the film but John sacrificed a lotof logic and narrative continuty in order to create an isolation terror and bonechilling paranoia. The fact no one figured it out 35 years later testifies to that. Fan-fiction such as le kerozine and le breathing and le jackeeeeet dont count.

This

that movie was fuckign garbage, dont watch it. Sup Forums memed me into watching it, one of the biggest regrets in my life

You dumb fucking bitch its not Fishburne, its Samuel L. Jackson

we've only just begun was such a creepy song to use

I don't like horror movies but I like The Thing. In so many horror movies people are in danger just because they all act like assholes. In The Thing everyone is trying their best to make the best out of a really terrible situation but are nonetheless SOL because of how terrible their situation actually is.

Childs is wearing different clothes at the end of the film suggesting that he's now The Thing. (It rips though clothes)

What's so bad about letting the alien go? It only imitates one animal at a time. For all we know it just wanted to live out the rest of its natural life out in the wild until its natural death. Wouldn't you want the same?

The whole movie is great, but the real great bit is that kino af ending. I usually hate ambiguous endings, but the way it's framed is perfect. There's no limit to the amount of theories you could interpret from it.

We saw the thing burning/blowing up. I don't understand how the ending was ambiguous.

t. fan-fictioner

ive heard that gasoline in the bottle theory too, but wouldnt it make more sense for it to be just an ordinary bottle of beer?
the fact that childs drinks it means that he didnt fear infection right? and the only reasons for that is that he is the thing, or just no longer gives a shit

You should watch The Fly.

The theory revolves around the idea that MacReady had been making molotov cocktails earlier, and he handed the bottle of "scotch" to Childs anticipating his reaction. If he spat it out, obviously he'd not be infected because to our knowledge the Thing does not taste. In the movie Childs drank it without a second thought and McReady laughed, perhaps implying that he knows Childs is the Thing and accepting his fate. Not saying I subscribe to that theory.

Have you only just been born or something?

probably, i fucked his mom 9 months ago.

Now watch other Carpenter movies from the 80's. None of them are as good but a few come close.

Childs was infected, confirmed because Mac shows up at the end of The Thing (ps2) but I guess you could say he was infected too and was just waiting for a chance to be alone with the last of the rescue team in the chopper he picks them up in.

Watch pic related next

youtube.com/watch?v=TjwpIa9hVkg

big trouble in little china
escape from LA

Purest Carpenterkino

>And I watched the film all thanks of Sup Forums: you guys.
Besides Problem Child 2, John Carpenter's The Thing is the only movie that is universally Sup Forums approved

Jesus fuck that's brutal. Almost as bad as palmerthing sad we'll never get to see it

So he's black as well...

It's ambiguous whether or not Childs, McCreavy, both, or neither are Things. You could interpret the way they interact with each other several different ways, they're both testing each other, but how exactly is up for debate. The more you think about it the more options you can see, until you get crazy but plausible theories like Also Mac giving Childs a drink is an extremely subtle callback to the beginning of the movie where he fries a computer with alcohol. Both scenes are fantastic characterization no matter how you interpret the ending.

man this shit was great
also Even Horizon
samn neill is the lovecraft-core

god damn this movie is fucking brutal
pleb

What do you think about The Thing 2011?
man it was such a missed opportunity looking though the content that was not in the movie
its pretty mediocre, dont take me wrong but the movie had some of the spirit of the original,
also I really liked the way they joined continuity towards the end of the movie, felt really legit

Big Trouble In Little China