The 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s, all feel like discrete periods with their own personalities...

The 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s, all feel like discrete periods with their own personalities, but the last 17 years just feels like one blob of time to me. What move or tv from the last 17 years defines their time?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=A6ck_tHYhdE
youtube.com/watch?v=emGri7i8Y2Y
youtube.com/watch?v=8WYHDfJDPDc
youtube.com/watch?v=kXYiU_JCYtU
reddit.com/r/Showerthoughts/comments/67hems/the_50s_60s_70s_80s_and_90s_all_feel_like/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Messing#Television
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

To The Wonder
Moartea domnului Lãzãrescu
Loong Boonmee raleuk chat

the internet basically threw all culture into a blender and the result has been a sloppy mess for the last 17 years.

Spring Breakers
Inherent Vice
La la land
Synedoche new york

basically any film that is self referential and nihilistic

we are the SCIENCE! generation. we are the MULTITASK generation. we are the FANTASY generation. we have so many attributes, don't jump on the hate bandwagon because you are too blind to see.

You have to go back

Pretty much. At least past 2007-ish.

I feel like the 2000s had a distinct feel to them, especially pre-smart phone. Movies like Collateral, Bad Boys II, the Fast and the Furious 1 and 2. There was a definite 2000s personality, not much different from the 90s but it was there.

I can't really tell the difference between 60's and 79's save for Vietnam stuff

I disagree. Bush Years definitely feel different from Obama years and so on

Add Dude Where's My Car to that. I do feel the early 2000's up to where smartphones and the internet started becoming truly mainstream was it's own mini-era.

Holy shit, I was actually going to post Dude Where's My Car? as an example of more innocent pre-9/11 era of movies.
youtube.com/watch?v=A6ck_tHYhdE

Agreed

youtube.com/watch?v=emGri7i8Y2Y
youtube.com/watch?v=8WYHDfJDPDc
youtube.com/watch?v=kXYiU_JCYtU

00s kino is comprised of 480p 4:3 digital video.

media defines most of this shit and its slowly being broken up as things open up with the net.

hindsight is 20/20 though so meh.

Malcolm in the Middle is a good snapshot of the 00s. Think they did a good job at capturing how apathetic the culture was towards issues unless they were directly affected by them. Like the Iraq war and Recce joning the military.

N.W. Refn's style is going to be the aesthetic of the decade. Its been copied by movies, photoshoots, and music videos.

What, you don't like remakes of beloved franchises and new Marvel capeshit every 3 months?

Speaking of that, I would like another Gremlins movie as long as they kept the dark humor tone of it and not just lol so random and funneh XD

Actually nevermind, it would be a CGI circle jerk and feel lifeless.

Definitely this.

OP stole this thread from reddit

reddit.com/r/Showerthoughts/comments/67hems/the_50s_60s_70s_80s_and_90s_all_feel_like/

more like the other way around

superbad

things feel more distinct if you know about or pay attention to fashion, it's hard to mix up 2001 w/ 2008 or 2005 w/ 2014 etc

naruto, csi, lord of the rings, harry potter

>2000's movie
>CUZ I'M IN TOO DEEP starts playing

>reddit

The Jew was always there but they were a chameleon for the longest time. Only showing their true self now and again. In these last seventeen years though, the Jew as less chameleon and more guy under covers. And now, the Jew is all in your face with his shit. It's why it's all a blob to you. Back then it was blocky but not so blobby, Now it's one big cluster poo.

you listed at least 2 reasons for me to hate it

Early 2000s kino right here

It feels that way because thats all youve been alive for

You were alive and paying attention the past 17 years. If you were a 20-something in the 70s, I'm sure you would feel that the 70s and 60s blurred together.

This.

You have to be over 18 to post on this website.

That whole argument is such bullshit.

The early 00s had a particular feel and very distinct type of pop and hip hop. The mid-into late 00s had a lot of things distinct to it as well.

Since then the 10s have been even more of a particular thing. It's just that it has been through weird means that don't seem to register for older people, for different possible reasons:

-Expectations about how "futurity" is supposed to look or work, or how time is supposed to progress. This might include political expectations / aspirations. Possibly coming from some residual modernist presumption, or dialectical view, or Marxism-informed outlook.
-A bad case of post-modern / post-structuralist indoctrination. I reduction of things to a play of language or signs or social constructs or capital, rendering everything empty and arbitrary and increasingly only readable in terms of either the nihilistic argument about the unreality or textuality or referentiality of everything. Basically the post-structuralist becomes guilty of emptying out life, the very thing they accuse capitalism of doing, they do from an academic-critical end. They're left passive and helpless and without a clue.
- Simply being stuck in 20th Century sensibilities. The turns and twists made now aren't what they expected and just seem pointless or alienating.
- Politics. "This isn't how Progress was supposed to go!!" "Young people aren't supposed to question postmodern globalistic progressive ideas, they're supposed to listen passively and believe and repeat everything we relay to them in their Humanities classes!!" "Stop watching youtube, or getting your views from online forums! You're supposed to get your opinions from journalistic experts!" etc etc

The Matrix, Spider-man and X-Men trilogies all feel very of the early 2000s era to me.
>inb4 Matrix 1 was released in 1999

Is there a movie that better captures the mid-2000s aesthetic?

I really don't think it's this one. Nothing about it really captured any kind of 2000s aesthetic, could've been made last year for all I know. Then again, I watched it a while ago. What do you mean?

Lord of the rings trilogy feels like good early to mid 2000's kino.

It was grander in scope than a lot of stuff that had come before it, but wasn't completely bogged down with green screen everything yet.

I think it was the other way around. He used the aesthetics of the music videos of the type of songs he used in the movie.

You are correct. It could have been made/set any time. I've seen the movie quite a few times and can attest to this. I actually watched it earlier this year.

The 2010's are characterized for capeshit movies dude, what are you talking about.

1) The whole """"""intelligent"""""" crime type of movie that seemed pretty popular in the 2000s (e.g., Inside Man, Italian Job remake, Oceans 11 remake, Matchstick men)
2) Josh Hartnett

From like 2005 the thing has been geek culture.

So basically Sum 41 is the defining band of the era, yeah?
I'd throw in Maroon 5 as well.

Appropriated geek culture, you mean

literally jacked this post from the reddit front page you fag

big fucking surprise millenials dont see a distinction between the 00s and 10s

same way gen x didnt see it between the 90s and 00s

I think the 00s definitely seem like their own era

or at least 9/11 up to or shortly after the release of the iphone

Born in he wong generation =(((((

the internet pretty much destroyed cultural phases, it's all one big long agony of social media

Same with the first three Pirates of the Caribbean movies. They were made with a lot of practical effects and sets and also shot on location in remote areas.

Exactly (regarding your first sentence).

There was a very distinct character and style to it but of course when people are living it they can't tell, they think "oh, people are just wearing clothes".

This is why it's good not to succumb to postmodern pessimism, or that kind of Baudrillardian impulse to designate some things as "less real" (or everything as unreal). It's an emptiness that consumes you, and crucially, seeps into your interpretative and aesthetic facility to where you can't even see the weird character of your very distinct surroundings morphing in spacetime.

>The 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s, all feel like discrete periods with their own personalities, but the last 17 years just feels like one blob of time to me

This is literally 100% true and no one can argue against it

You really think youth music right now is the same as youth music from 2004, or 2009?

You would really equate the Obama years to the Dubya years?

You can't see the differences between the meme cultures of the 00s and the meme cultures 00?

Do you see any 2005 "Scene Kids" walking around anymore?

You think Ludacris is the same as T-Pain is the same as Young Thug?

I think its probably easier to recognize the early 00s

>between the meme cultures of the 00s and the meme cultures *of the 10s*?

>You can't see the differences between the meme cultures of the 00s and the meme cultures 00?
I kinda miss the age of poorly-animated Flash videos.

00 = silly stuff like shoop da whoop and cats
10s = cuck, BLACKED, WE WUZ, etc.

Not sure why I'm still stuck here.

Exactly. Very different times. Different aesthetic.

Was just talking to a friend about that Flash aesthetic and how it's gone now. People really sometimes can't see the distinctness of their times. And if you point it out, if they're pessimistically inclined they just reductively say "oh that's just ___".... "just capital", "just technocratic infrastructure", "just Flash", "just entertainment", "just meme shit", whatever, as if these strange things can be reduced to such specific referents or aspects. And then the thing gets replaced and only afterwards do the cunts realize that it was something in-itself.

Straight from /r/showerthoughts. Good job redditanon

Somebody already pointed that out here Good job, faggot.

>"People" born after 1989 won't truly understand why this is funny

I remember when I had to use realplayer for stuff on my first pc

I remember it came with a south park clip from the episode where they find the guy trapped in ice

I miss the age of free coasters.

The loading wheel would've made it funnier

Yeah, that.

FUCK Realplayer.

Hated that shit. Every website used it and you'd be watching/listening to something and it'd have to buffer partway through.

I'm from 1990 and i get it so thr joke's on you ha!

No you don't.

>in 20 years tops, all boomers will be dead

Absolutely based

Gotta go with this, 2000s were definitely unique.

End of the Bush admin was about when smartphones became a huge part of our lives and when time started to feel like a blender.

>tfw your parents were boomers

We've hit the point where a lot of kids posting here have gen x parents.

>reposting reddit threads

how much worse can this board get

What again was the name of the image hosting site that sometime around 5 years ago shut down? I swear half of all the forums on the internet linked their images there

Also think of all the websites lost when Geocities went down

Wait. is the fatty in the middle there the fedora tipping guy as a kid?

Gen X are so much worse than Boomers. Boomer hating is one of the worst memes.

It's Gen X who spread snarkiness, identity poltics, postmodernism, etc. Absolutely fuck them.

I dunno man, most Gen X were not liberal pussy retards, most of them voted for Reagan

Actually, yes.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Messing#Television

No, that was the Boomers.

Gen X were the bespectacled, "alternative" punks and whiners and junkies. They gave us purple hair and queer theory. The Boomers were positively sexist and traditional by Gen X progressives' standards.

Every generation is narcissistic and shitty in its own way.

pretty soon it will be the norm for reddit threads will be reposted ironically

Somebody tried redditposting here a little while back. It was one of those normie memes showing like Robert Downy Junior, Cumberbatch-Holmes, Chandler, and other such types of characters with the sentence "Imagine the conversation they'd have" or something.

The meme lasted a few threads and I guess could only be stomached that long. The only other redditposting would be the BAZINGA posts, and I suppose all the Marvel / DC shit here.

nice literal reddit title

>GenX
>voting for Reagan
Most GenXers were barely out of high school before Reagan's term ended. And Generation X has always been politically apathetic. They can swing from being classic reaganomics conservatives yuppie types to neo-hippy liberals, but in general GenX, through their 20s in the 90s, considered shit like voting to be futile and just part of the establishment. Only in the very late 90s, and then into the 2000s, when they started getting families, careers, did they start realizing they should pay attention to politics, and at that point they went back to their old nanny of the Television - right at the perfect time when the 24-hour cable news cycle and talking head political bullshit was coming on strong. So for the most part if GenXers aren't apathetic cynical fucks, they are straight sheep fed whatever bullshit their favorite channel spoonfeeds them.

I've always considered myself a Gen-Xer, although I knew I was always on the baby end of it (born in 79, most of my friends are older).

Spring Breakers is the defining 2010s movie.

I think 2003 to 2006 was weird time and it obviously had some greatness. Edgy but still chill. It was sort of like a sadder continuation of 1997-2000, (which was a fucking blast in comparison). It did feel like we'd recovered, but then it was not going to last once we hit 2007/2008. We started rallying behind Obama and things might have gotten better, but I think people are way more unhappy. I'd do anything to get back to the late 80s or mid/late 90s.