Why do so many naked losers try to use this stupid bullshit? I have never seen a deadfall trap work once

Why do so many naked losers try to use this stupid bullshit? I have never seen a deadfall trap work once

This post isn't about Trump or the Jewish Question, reported, take this shit back to Rebbit

Sorry, we could talk about the episode where it was a black dude and a white chick, if that helps

I shit you not I caught a mouse in my home using a empty candle jar propped up by a q-tip I smudged with peanut butter. I mean it worked the same day I made it. Astonishing.

Trapping in general seems like a pretty shit survival strategy unless you have 20 of them in a small area.

>boy I hope some dumb animal crawls under this log and kicks the stick holding it up and the log falls on it and it cant crawl out from under the log and it dies and stays here till tomorrow when I come back to check on it again

>oh it looks like this one trap worked but something else ate it first

You could have spent all that time fishing

Consider me interested and consider this thread "On Topic" :)

it worked on several occasions with different people on the series Alone

>you just know

Actually, this is a good question. How many of these couples have sex?

>not fishing in between trap checks

Varied diet

Nah dude, let's go wander the jungle for hours hoping to find a handful of grubs

>director David Cronenberg

yeah real trappers throw a ton of them out and place them at highly traveled locations. The nice thing about traps is though once you set it you don't have to actively do anything with it besides check it regularly so you can set traps and then go fishing to double your chances at catching something

I can understand that, but in a """survival""" situation, you need to consider whether it's really a good investment of time and energy to find giant rocks or logs, cut up sticks and carve notches into 20 of these things, get a bunch of bait, and set them all up while hoping that the wind doesn't just blow them all over.

I used to trap birds using traps like that when I was a kid.

Normally, you have so many traps spread out that you are doing nothing but setting and checking traps all day and dealing with game. Fishing for sustenance is nothing like sport fishing with a rod and reel. You use circle hooks that act like snares for the fish. This allows you to set lots of lines or trotlines out that are tied to anchors like trees and such then leave and come back later to bring in the fish.

Thus, you end up still working with traps all day, both on land and in the water.

>It's a "2 morons can't start a fire to purify water so they drink straight from some fucking shithole and get a stomach virus" episode

what kind of creature is that trap trying to catch?

is that lawrence fishburn?

Small rodents or if near the sea, small crabs. Basically, a stew meat trap.

I like that show

loggerhead turtle

wtf is this thing?

>implying you'd know how to purify water even if you got a fire started

snails

DIY internet tube

what does it work

You will need a series of them.

its used to trap small animals

forearms

You just boil it retard.

You can catch snakes with it.

Well, you proved him correct.

Boiling water does not purify it. However, filtering water is a good step in the right direction.

Sick misdirection with that burn, bro.

this burns the water though

Boil it and then capture the steam to distill it?

That would work. Do they have containers they can make a simple still with?

I caught 3 wild kittens in my backyard with that type of setup using a plastic tub and a plate of tuna

I used a Havahart trap and caught 25 feral cats in my area. Had to let a couple stray cats lose though since they were not feral.

our world is so wonderfully polluted they usually find washed up bottles on the beach. Or they fashion containers out of some sort of husk. Using bamboo is pretty common.

Then all they'd need is a fire, 2 containers of any kind, even plastic or bamboo, some small hot rocks and a large cold rock. You fill 1 container with water, toss in the hot rocks, cover it with a large cold rock angled towards the second container. Add more water and new hot rocks as needed until you get a full container of pure water. The large cold rock should be fired then cooled in order to make it "sterile" enough to have drinking water flow over it.

FYI, you can also boil water using a plastic bottle to hold the water in. So long as there's water in it, it will boil. It is fucking horrid and you'll be drinking what tastes like plastic ass, but long term cancer won't matter if you die of thirst right?

>I have never seen a deadfall trap work once

/out/ here. You can't just plonk down a deadfall trap in the middle of a clearing, that's retarded. You need to find animal trails and you need to size the deadfall appropriately to what you aim to kill.

You must then rig something /just right/ and that is real fucking tricky to get the hang of. Then there's the trap line principle. You don't make ONE and hope for the best. You lay a line of traps along animal paths, the whole point of passive hunting is efficiency and maximizing your luck.

This said; these cunts in survival shows always seem to have plenty of fabric or thread. That means you can make nooses - a lot of nooses. Snare traps are much more effective than deadfalls and easier to mass deploy too. Either just as nooses tied to something appropriately heavy, or a fancy deadfall like contraption that will swing up a bent tree branch, instantly strangling your catch. You can also deploy dozens of these with minimal effort.

This is also my pet peeve about fishing in these shows. Making a hook is easy. Again, they always seem to have an excess of line. So why the fuck is the stupid cunt sitting there with a fishing pole and one hook?

You make a floating log with multiple hooks and bait tied off it and you set it anchored, but passively fishing over the course of your day, checking in periodically. The next day you make another 5-10 hooked floating log and set it elsewhere. Once you get these fish factories going enough to feed you, you can really start mass producing.

I'd love to see the primitive technologies guy give it a go.

Also these are stupid effective both in the water and on land. On land you just make it a fall-in trap. You find bottles everywhere along coastlines. If not, you can make it the old fashioned way by braiding grasses.

Either eat the contents or use as bait.

I agree. With only a little real knowledge and experience you can feed yourself moderately easy in environments they are in.

Which just makes me think they deliberately pick dummies to be in all these shows. Which is painful, especially then when the people watching, the grey masses you're trying to capture with the educational angle, learn very little useful information.

Really grinds my gears.

And don't give me the "but muh ratings" shit when the primitive survival guy has zero narration and zero drama and draws millions of viewers just doing his zero production value stuff.

At least it's not all lone survivor concepts now. It's more likely you'll be around other people.

could you also just use a giant leaf or something to funnel the water? Sometimes if they can find it or if someone brings it they use a tarp

there are occasionally people with extreme survival skills but they generally ruin the fun of the show of watching them suffer. There was a trap lord but the show portrayed him as some sort of psycho and the girl was freaked out about how many animals he was killing in a single day.

I've also seen someone do that fish trap thingy

i once caught a squirrel making a 4 figure deadfall trap using a shoe box

your opinion is invalid

Ive used the fishing line through a beer can over a pickle bucket to trap a dozen or so field mice in my hunting cabin. Works easy as fuck, and when youre done the bucket makes a nice comfy seat. 5 gallon buckets are the swiss army knife of free shit.

its actually pretty amusing how easy it is to kill a mouse with a bucket of water. I mean I once left a pail of water in my bathtub since it was leftover laundry water and I found a drowned mouse in it

It's a shitty short term survival strategy but on the long term, traps are basically a one time labor investment (resetting them and performing minor repairs are trivial) that collects passive income.

yeah, I had the fun job of having to check my sump pump water hole thingy as a kid, id always find a dead mouse or two and maybe a sad frog or toad bobbing around.

>trap lord
> girl was freaked out about how many animals he was killing

Guy provides ample food in a survival scenario, girl complains that too many cute creatures are dying. Almonds: activated.

Honestly that's not fair either. Get some country girls out there instead of the sheltered office workers and it's another story. Maybe some eastern european girl.

Sweet. Really a pest problem fixer but if you need to eat them it's zero effort calories.

Which episode? I want to watch this dude be too competent

yeah, its fucking neat, cause you already got all the materials on hand, bucket, string/stick/ some scrap lumber, beer cans and some cheese/peanut butter ( you did throw some cheese/pb crackers in your bag right?) and I guess if you wanna eat them voles and mice, just dont put water in the bucket.

season 4 episode 6, Lord of the Rats

The guy literally knows how to do EVERYTHING and it pisses off the woman since she keep screwing things up. I mean the guy literally makes them shoes, builds them beds, knits them blankets out of vines in addition to building fire, trapping rats for meat etc etc. Honestly this guy isnt even a survivalist, he can just comfortably live in a jungle.

Do I put my dick in it?

This real nigga right here trappin 4 life

I have only deafalled'd three animals

one tiny small mouse

one tiny small snake

one pretty okay sized rabbit

out of maybe 100 attempts only three worked

either way I ate well each time so it was nice

>trapper leaves active traps behind after leaving the area and going home
>some animal will eventually wander into it

uh bro, it wont work in a plastic bottle for more than maybe 1 time

rules of nature

Survivor man has used those types of traps and he was successful I believe.

The answer to that question will always be, yes.

I remember a bird got stuck in my raccoon trap

It probably would've starved to death if my neighbor didnt tell me there was a bird freaking out in my backyard

Hey /out/. Do you have a Big Book of Trapping where you learned all these? Neat stuff.

Thanks man, I've just started watching it. Never seen the show before, how common is it for a women who's engaged to be married to leave her family and go spend 21 days naked with a male stranger?

I honestly dont really recall that many married people on the show, maybe people in relationships but its usually just single people. Yknow, the type of person that would want to spend 3 weeks in the middle of a jungle

And the nice thing about the show is that it usually doesnt push agendas, there are many episodes where the women will get their shit kicked in and abandon the guy by quitting early. Although most of the people in the show arent really that competent outside of a few people, most of them are usually on the verge of dying after 3 weeks

This
Fat dude killed a few mice with it n alone

I'm more a homesteader really.

There are both books on trapping, and books on survival that include elementary trapping. But honestly the book learning part isn't a lot deeper than looking at the diagrams of the traps. You have to practice putting them together, that's the hard bit.

And then the next level obviously is learning about and finding animal paths in nature where you can place a trap. Please don't ever leave traps in the wild, there's enough crap there already. Make a live capture deadfall so you can see if it works (this is where you replace the crushing weight with an upside down bucket to trap the animal instead).

You can make the fishing rigs for personal use during summer sometime, if legal.

One day in and he seems super competent, while she awful. And not just awful but complaining about how good he is. Also she just made a skirt so she not naked around him and said she'd prefer is he had one too, is that even allowed in the show I mean it's called naked and afraid?

I've caught a spider

you're allowed to make clothing, some girls with larger breasts prefer to make bras so they dont flop around

the point is that you start the survival naked outside of your bag and your item of choice.

Darren is also pretty fucking smart since he brought cord. Most people usually bring things like knives, I've honestly seen one retarded girl bring a mirror though

Yeah this girl brought a knife, and now just used it to make a comb because her number one priority was to brush her hair. If they're allowed to make clothes how come most of the people don't seem to bother in the clips I've seen posted here?

It takes energy, and most people don't have a fucking genius supplying them with food. Most contestants literally spend as much time doing nothing as possible to conserve calories

are any of the rest of the episodes worth watching or is this the best it will ever be?

Depends on what you're looking for. Personally, I prefer the XL challenges, because you can't just skate by, you have to actually create something sustainable.

>Most contestants literally spend as much time doing nothing as possible to conserve calories
I really hate that, because they last the 3 weeks by nearly dying but they think they survived when all they did was live off their body's reserve supplies. There should be a rule that you survive comfortably or else it doesnt really count as survival

>It's a walking through lava rocks barefoot episode
Jesus Christ these people are legit retards.

I second watching XL. The original show isnt that great because people just make sure they last 3 weeks. I mean the original appeal is that the girls are naked and most of the time they spend weeks just lying in the dirt.

In XL they have to survive for WAY longer than they can sustain so they actually have to do shit, which also involves hunting

Coon trap. Coons don't release their grip once they grab hold of something even if their arm is stuck. So you make a tube that they can enter with their hand open but not once they ball it shut. You put food in it.

Then you secure it to something and wait nearby. Eventually they start fucking screaming. You walk up to it and clock it over the head, then you eat it/skin it.

The best would be if there was no time limit but instead they had to set up a camp and prove that they could last indefinitely with traps, hunting and foraging. Then where some panel of experts were satisfied they'd be let of the island. Then they can't just wait out the three weeks eating an handful of bananas. So teams might be done in a week, others would die out there.

>not watching primitve tech
cmon

Can attest. Caught 12 fucking mice in two days with one of these. Mom freaked out seeing them dead but didn't want them shutting around and eating her sweaters anymore.

Wait, do you really have to do more than boiling it for 15-20 minutes?

Boiling kills 99% of whatever is in it. Just make sure the water was not discolored by mud or tannins to begin with. If so, filter through sand a couple of times before boiling. Best source is rain water which you can drink unboiled.

I think I trapped a mouse with a box and a stick as a kid

I know I tried

well boiling it would just kill the bacteria but theres still plenty of other gunk in the water from dirt to dead stuff, you want to convert it into steam and then let recollect into another container

lol that would take too much time. just let the gunk settle in and learn to have a stronger stomach lol

>implying a predator never comes along to a free meal
Worst case scenario the worms and ants eat well.

>tfw they never fell for this trap
>best I ever got was catching a rat in a possum trap

I once caught a possum in a rat trap.

I feel bad for the old guy in the alpha male group dropping out so soon because of a slip. I feel he was gonna get himself hurt way worse easily since it looked like he nicked himself while chopping down trees for his shelter. The hillbilly truck driver guy leaving because of the bleeding foot was pretty disappointing too because he seemed pretty capable in the 21 day version. Right now I'm rooting for the bow and arrow guy since he carried his partner in the 21 day version and he's been shown with a pig in the promos. I bet the other alpha male uses his arrows recklessly and that's what causes some division between the two

It can work. Most of the naked morons are desperate attention whores looking for their 15 minutes and aren't survivalists at all.

Watching the first one pretty good so far. Hope the rat king is invited to one of the later ones he was god mode.

You're supposed to have a string tied to the stick propping it up to pull at the right moment, not just hope it gets knocked

Rat Lord was in the first season of XL, I don't remember why he had to leave, I think they all ate bad fruit.

Ratlord was in the second season of XL. He had beef with this other guy over being called lazy. I think he managed to make some kinda clothing with hide he brought for his special tool. S2 was honestly really weak since they caught nothing other than fish.

So wait this season is season 3 of xl? well tempus fugit to me.

S1 had two guys Zac and EJ that were pretty great together, they kept catching big ass electric eels and feeding this other group of I think 7 who were all lazy asses and kept infighting. The two ended up doing a few episodes of dual survival together