Short film contest

Okay Sup Forums, I don't ask you guys for help often, but tomorrow at 7pm my school is hosting a short film contest, it has to be 7 minutes long, and I only get 48 hours to script and shoot it. The top submissions get shown at the contest, and the winner receives $200. It doesn't sound like a lot, but it could go toward future equipment to make movies and what not. I'd appreciate any ideas/advice/tips from any of you guys, thank you.
>inb4 kys driveanon
The only prior short film experience I have is this video I made here, and a bunch of shit when I was younger, and a few skits I worked on too.
youtube.com/watch?v=eOULQZ0qRUQ
Thank you again Sup Forums

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.4plebs.org/tv/search/filename/IMG_0959.jpg/
youtu.be/C35DrtPlUbc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You should learn how to cut a short user. I advise you to do a sci-fi short with friends that's the easiest. Rip a dialogue from elswhere.

Like what exactly, should I use inspiration from other directors?

I think if your having trouble coming up with a 7 min short film, your going to have a lot of trouble working in the industry. Also procrastinating all the way to the day before you have this due doesn't look better.

With that said. Less is more. Just make something from the heart. Don't make something to try to impress. And stay away from typical shitty film school project cliches.

>starting it with someone waking up/ slapping the alarm clock

>drugs/depression

>obvious on the nose character motivation dialogue

> don't create characters that you can't properly cast. Like having a 40 year old character and having your 18 year old friend play him

Work with what you have

Everyone rips off from others at the highest levels in the industry. Writing a good script for a short is hard.

Thank you so much, I'm going to heed this
and this.
anyone know any teenager kino? 18-21 years old characters roughly

Every john Hughes movie in the 80s

Hey reddit, I'm working on on making some short films for a competition tomorrow and I don't know what I should focus it on! Post your ideas and I'll use the one with the most upvotes. If I win the competition with your idea I will gild you every day xD Thanks guys

spoken by a true redditor/#1 pulp fiction fan himself
thank you

Hey Reddit, it's Driveanon here with another fantastic reaction video- do make sure to like, share and subscribe. Please do leave a comment it really does help the channel, and let me know what you want me to react to next!

Let's start off with Thor Ragnarok, the trailer dropped this morning and I'm exceeeeeedingly excited about this one!

LMAOOOOO OH BOY A FAN

Start with what you have (locations, actors), and come up with a premise from that - it'll narrow down your options

That helps a fuck ton, thank you, I'm in Rhode Island currently so idk what to do with that...

Keep your depth of field shallow

If you can't afford good sound do it in post (note: ADRing dialogue is an absolute bitch to work with)

Keep your locations to an absolute minimum. Three at MOST.

Shoot sequentially, if at all possible. Streamlines the process and makes it easier to work with in editing.

I believe in you.

You are clearly retarded if you needed to be told start with you have, as such I recommend giving up your dreams of becoming a filmmaker and getting a job at mcdonalds

Shallow depth of field, could you give me a good example?

depth of field without too much depth

Ah I see

Keep your subject in focus with the background slightly blurred. Gives your shots a sense of depth.

Some people say this is kinda overdone in student shit but if you do it right it makes your shit look professional.

Helps if you understand composition too.

MAybe closeup shots too right, but not too close, but not too far.

Those are called medium shots

Would you be able to make a collage that shows all three long close and medium? You don't have to, just your example

M8, if you don't know what DoF is then I honestly don't know what you're doing making shorts. It's day 1 stuff

Run me through the day 1 stuff you know then

First off, I guess what are you filming on? It's alright if it's your phone

Most likely my phone, unless my "teammate" has a better cam

stick to making reaction videos which get 200 views

Is wearing denim kino?

Ok, In that case you don't have to worry about all that DoF, ISO shit. I'll just give you some general advice tips

>Use the time you have now to develop the script
>write a logline which is the film summed up in a sentence
>do a treatment which for this will probably just be a paragraph summarizing the plot
>then write your script which should probably be about 4-7 pages (1 page roughly equals a minute of screentime)
>Try to keep it at around 3 characters, work with what you have. Most plots revolve around a conflict of some sort
>also comedy tends to do well at these short film fests, they're crowdpleasers if done well

>Try to avoid using sound off the camera as much as you can, I'd recommend using your friends phones as mics hidden in their pockets, as close to their mouth as possible, student films always have awful sound, if you have good sound it will stand out
>be professional on set, avoid taking breaks or joking around just get it done
>film everything on the first day, dedicate your second day to editing, you'll need the time
>don't use licensed music, it might exempt your film

>Also after the script, write up a shot list. Use a mix of establishing shots, wideshots, mediums and closeups
>Try get a few unsual, creative shots too
>When you're doing a take film the whole scene from each angle, don't just say for example get a closeup of an actor saying one line. get them to do the whole scene
>Make sure you sync your sound, if you don't have a clapper board just have someone say the scene number and the take (Scene 1, take 1) and clap there hands in front of the camera. do it again at the end of the take

Also if it's like most other 48 hour challenges they might give you a line of dialogue and/or prop that you have to incorporate into the film

>Make sure you sync your sound, if you don't have a clapper board just have someone say the scene number and the take (Scene 1, take 1)
Huh. I didn't know that the reason they used the clapper. I feel dumb.

You need to go back

archive.4plebs.org/tv/search/filename/IMG_0959.jpg/

AAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

See the work of chris stucmann

Make a 48 hour long sex tape

Make a time lapse, there are apps for that.
Bitchs love time lapse.

Make a movie about a guy that makes a dream about a girl. He appears to be a lonely guy. But every night he meet this dream girl and feel immense love. He always end up waking up with a little bitter taste.
In the end we saw that he is actually in couple with someone, but she is the opposite of his dream girl. it's a metaphor on the cruel fate of living and loving, always wanting the inaccessible. Sometimes you look at your life and the road you traveled so far and you aren't just happy with it anymore. But it is hard to change your whole life when you have obligations, a job, a gf, kids...

Also look for free music, preferably classic like in modern korean movies.

You will need slow motion and probably underwater shots.

How about
youtu.be/C35DrtPlUbc
How the fuck can I make an underwater shot with a phone

What actual work have you done in the five since you have made this thread?
Have you made any progress at all?

I've really been soaking in the information that's been given and trying to get a clear thought of what I want this to be like/what inspiration I'm using
Like this song especially id love to see in it
Some kind of like stop motion effect to that song, or maybe an underwater shot like he mentioned, it's never going to turn out the way I want it to, but I'd like it to be something I'll enjoy and be somewhat happy with in the end.

>I've really been soaking in the information that's been given and trying to get a clear thought of what I want this to be like/what inspiration I'm using
So you haven't done anything in the past five hours? Have you even done any brainstorming or outline of ideas?