Does the average Swede, Finn, and Norwegian know how to skate?

Does the average Swede, Finn, and Norwegian know how to skate?

In Canada, everyone can skate decently well.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fAADWfJO2qM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I know that Finns like skiing

In Norway, yeah, I'd say so. In my hometown and other nearby towns they always make ice rinks during winter, so most kids there learn at some point during their childhood. We have a long history of being good at speed skating after all, so there's always been a certain amount of interest in it as a sport as well. That said, the Netherlands have been dominating the sport for a while now, so I'm guessing interest is declining.

skating is fuck easy

I cant skate

Does the average Canadian know how to walk or does he still crawl?

>Swedish """"""""""""""""""""banter""""""""""""""""""""

Never done it even though there is a skating rink in my city. OH well, one more useless shit i have no time to learn.

Only niggers cant skate here

We are the best at staying upright
youtube.com/watch?v=fAADWfJO2qM

We have mandatory skating in school so yeah

Along with swimming and skiing

I never learned to do it so I just walked during PE classes.

We have it school as mandatory PE classes, or did when I was in school.
Still can't skate though, my balance is that of a drunken cripple.

that's why you retards are so obsessed with hookey?

>i have no time to learn
He types while posting Congolese Yogurt forum.

I am a big fan of figure skating

tfw Dutch and can't skate

average canadian cant skate well

men and women with rich parents know how to skate, but that's only 10%

most immigrants, natives and poor whites don't know how to skate

having proper sized skates is difficult for someone with growing feet and not needed as an adult

No. We have no time for skating.

We spend all our days hunting animals, wrestling with polar bears, stealing wives from other villages and fighting each others.

yes, it's mandatory in school just like learning to swim

I was taught to skate by my father back in the day. Haven't done it in a long time, but it isn't the kind of skill you just lose. Kind of like riding a bike.

I would like to think most Norwegians know how to skate, considering there are literally hundreds of thousands of small frozen lakes spread all over the country every winter.

There are very few days with good outdoor skating conditions here along the Southern coast though, and growing up there were zero indoor rinks in the entire region, so it's kind of a niche pasttime here. There was a half-hearted attempt to spark interest in skating/hockey by constructing the first rink in the region's capital a few years back, but it hasn't changed much. At least not yet. There's apparently only one hockey team in the region, playing on the third or fourth level, and that's it. I didn't even know without googling, never watched a domestic league game in my life. Even women's handball has ten times the following.

Speed skating on the other hand, has some sort of popularity here, at least in the eastern part of the region around Arendal. I usually watch all the speed skating championships and World Cup races. It's a great sport. Norway hasn't had a stronger sprint team in over twenty years, much thanks to the new Canadian coach. Hopefully we can snag a few medals in Pyeongchang.

Anyway, probably only went skating five-ten times per winter the few years the lakes or fjords actually froze over. Haven't skated in like 10 years, but it's pretty easy to learn. On hockey skates anyway. I was okay on hockey skates and pretty shit on speed skates. Never tried figure skating, but the athleticism involved is very impressive. It's also pretty cool that the most technically difficult jump in the sport, the axel, is named after a Norwegian figure skater.

>mandatory skating in school
Fuck, that sounds fun. Wish we could've had that here

We had that too

I actually forgot how, shit was embarassing.

only immigrants can't skate

skating is fun, but it really needs something more to be interesting eg. hockey

we do play hockey with my friends in here

bitch pls Finns invented skates

>According to a study done by Federico Formenti, University of Oxford, and Alberto Minetti, University of Milan, Finns were the first to develop ice skates some 5,000 years ago from animal According to a study done by Federico Formenti, University of Oxford, and Alberto Minetti, University of Milan, Finns were the first to develop ice skates some 5,000 years ago from animal
Bitch that professor is missing something. Finns didn't existed 5000 years ago.

Yeah i forgot Finnics spawned 1917 after Russian Empire collapsed,

5k years ago finnics were a bunch of paleo siberian tribes somewhere in far eastern russia

source me arab

finnish is an uralic language which related to uralic-altaic language family therefore your ancestors come from somewhere in altai

Of course.

>He doesn't know about the glorious Finnish Empire
Do they even teach history in Russia?

Not in Norway. We don't have much of a skating culture here. Many have tried skating at some point, but it's not something people do often.

>says this while winning 1st and 3rd place the first time in 20 years

The norwegian you answered is wrong to say that it is common in Norway in general. Look here: Although, locally it may be true some places. I know that in Lillehammer they have long traditions of ice skating, but I don't know how much people in general do. Especially today in 2017.

Anyway, MOST of Norway have little traditions of ice skating, at least while comparing to Sweden and Finland. In Norway skiing has always been the preferred winter activity.

>Keisarillisen Suomen
Why not "Keisarillinen Suomi"?

My parents were immigrants yet I learned how to skate at the age of four from them. Then started playing hockey. Feel pretty Canadian desu

>skiing has always been the preferred winter activity.
Same here, but that's not an excuse to suck at hockey

my dad used to take me skating on a pond when i was younger and i hated it because i could never keep my balance but last year i went to a rink for the first time and it was really nice, very natural

Again thats not a source dimitri

Sure it is. You're over ten times more likely to be a hockey player in Finland than in Norway, and five times more likely in Sweden. But it's the absolute numbers that really matter. Norway has 9000 hockey players, Sweden 64 000, Finland 76 000. Somehow we're still a top 8-10 nation.

Mhm

We only have a handful of ice hockey courts. Nobody in Norway knows how to skate because we don't skate. You seemed to miss the point.

Tfw Swedish and can't ice skate or ski.

No, I deliberately misinterpreted your point so that I could tease you

Ok, I see. Why do swedes hate us so much?

Are you excited about the upcoming winter Olympics in February? I'm going to watch the girls in dresses skate around

It's called banter söta bror

Why is norwegian attitude on every other nordic nation, specially Finland always bit insecure

You banter us too hard. Not this time, but normally. Oftentimes it seems like Swedes want to really hurt us. At least here on int.

that norwegian said the interest will decline because the dutch have been dominating the sport for a while
but now you guys won, the interest will rise

>"Swedish"
No, you are not.

Because Swedes constantly get shit on here, we just wanna drag you down with us.

They're overly proud of their national identity, as soon as something that could in the slightest be interpreted as negative towards Norway the NIDF goes full damage control

That's not correct either. It has nothing to do with how well we are doing in professional skating. We barely have any culture for skating here. Only some places, like in Lillehammer. Sure maybe more of us will watch it on TV if we have a great skater that wins gold medals in olympics, but people still grow up without ever had skates on their feet, and those who do try it at some point in their childhood will only remember it as "that time when I tried skating", but won't think anything more about it.

hmm, that makes very much sense
but i guess the interest wont decline for now
here it feels like its declining a little, because the younger generations are barely able to skate in nature becuase of climate change

I never actually realised how fragile they truly are

only times i notice norwegians getting riled up on other nordics its against swedes cause of their constant banter. danes are pretty nice and finns are just irrelevant

I guess most people learn it when they're kids but it's nothing compared to our skiing culture

Norwegians on Sup Forums need to up their banter. Every time I visit my relatives in Norway they outbanter me

norwegians on Sup Forums are pacifists, bullying us should be a war crime

Yeah it's a sad thing :(

Most Norwegians don't really know much or have an opinion on Finland, you're just there. I imagine you have the same relationship with us and Denmark.

Dont worry we aint the bad guys

Looking forward to getting cucked by this cunt in the Olympic 500m and 1000m, our best events.