What are the essential movies that you MUST watch to be considered a cinephile or a movie geek

What are the essential movies that you MUST watch to be considered a cinephile or a movie geek

Other urls found in this thread:

icheckmovies.com/lists/the essentials 52 must-see movies and why they matter/baalman/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

a dog's purpose

gummo

Why before you turn 30? I would think your average person would have a higher tolerance for good movies as they aged.

homeward bound

THE PEST

Anyone that hasn't seen this needs to either watch it immediately or commit suicide

Ernest Goes to Camp
Ernest Saves Christmas
Ernest Goes to Jail
Ernest Scared Stupid
Ernest Rides Again
Ernest Goes to School
Slam Dunk Ernest
Ernest Goes to Africa
Ernest in the Army
Moonlight

>asking a board comprised mostly of 12-15 year olds, who don't actually watch films and only post memes, about essential movies to watch

kys

I didnt like it

Why not

2001: A Space Odyssey, The 400 Blows, 8 1/2, Aguirre, the Wrath of God, Alien, All About Eve, Annie Hall, Apocalypse Now, Bambi, The Battleship Potemkin, The Best Years of Our Lives, The Big Red One, The Bicycle Thief, The Big Sleep, Blade Runner, Blow-Up, Blue Velvet, Bonnie and Clyde, Breathless, Bringing Up Baby, Carrie, Casablanca, Un Chien Andalou, Children of Paradise, Chinatown, Citizen Kane, A Clockwork Orange, The Crying Game, The Day the Earth Stood Still, Days of Heaven, Dirty Harry, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie, Do the Right Thing, La Dolce Vita, Double Indemnity, Dr. Strangelove, Duck Soup, E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial, Easy Rider, The Empire Strikes Back, The Exorcist, Fargo, Fight Club, Frankenstein, The General, The Godfather Parts I & II, Gone With the Wind, Goodfellas, The Graduate, Halloween, A Hard Day's Night, Intolerance, It's a Gift, It's a Wonderful Life, Jaws, The Lady Eve, Lawrence of Arabia, M, The Road Warrior, The Maltese Falcon, The Manchurian Candidate, Metropolis, Modern Times, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Nashville, The Night of the Hunter, Night of the Living Dead, North by Northwest, Nosferatu, On the Waterfront, Once Upon a Time in the West, Out of the Past, Persona, Pink Flamingos, Psycho, Pulp Fiction, Rashomon, Rear Window, Rebel Without a Cause, Red River, Repulsion, The Rules of the Game, Scarface (1932), The Scarlet Empress, Schindler's List, The Searchers, The Seven Samurai, Singin' in the Rain, Some Like It Hot, A Star Is Born (1954), A Streetcar Named Desire, Sunset Boulevard, Taxi Driver, The Third Man, Tokyo Story, Touch of Evil, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Trouble in Paradise, Vertigo, West Side Story, The Wild Bunch, The Wizard of Oz

OP image reminds me of house of air

Is this your personal list or did you copy it from somewhere else?

Literally every movie on that list is garbage except for the Clint Eastwood ones

Pan's Labyrinth and Escape from New York

Required movies

Awful bait

To be fair, half of them dont deserve to be on the list

the second one

(I sincerely think it's a good "essential films" list)

Cat in the hat

The Matrix
The Social Network
The Grand Budapest Hotel / majority of Wes Anderson Films
Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
Inherent Vice / The Master
American History X (debatable)
The Big Short
Moonlight
Silence
Shawshank Redemption (debatable, not too great imo)
Inception
Interstellar
Life of Pi
Superbad
Sixth Sense / Unbreakable
Alien
Dark Knight
The Prestige
Shutter Island
Black Swan / Whiplash (essentially 2 of the same stories)
Lets See Paul Allen's Card
Zombieland
Saving Private Ryan
Fight Club
Goodfellas / Godfather / Scarface
Drive
Nightcrawler

Here's a quick list. I put regular people into consideration and thought this would be a good place to start in terms of movies + pop culture + things a majority of people have watched while also thinking of whether or not it would get them into film.

Anybody else got anything to add?

Apocalypto

About 90% of them are indisputable classics which are important to the medium in one way or any other. You don't have to like all of them, but being familiar with them objectively separates you from being a mere "film buff" to a genuine cinephile.

This list has the most important essentials.

icheckmovies.com/lists/the essentials 52 must-see movies and why they matter/baalman/

Rogue one

I'm over 30, what am I supposed to watch now?

The Women 1939

Ghost in the Shell
Akira
Star Wars
Blade Runner
Air Buddies
Tron
Apes of the Planet
Who Framed Benjamin Button?
Gold Diggers
Everything else with Christina Ricci.
Clue

t. Freshman living in the dorms

Why does Sup Forums pretend to hate fight club? It's a fantastic film and you know it.

I actually have a Fight Club poster and can't stand watching it anymore. I think I was just into it at a shitty time and it takes me back now.

people still watch movies?

t. Too illiterate to read bottom

Because everyone likes Fight Club and they want to feel superior

>Shiller's List

Try posting a movie made before 1990

this reads like a list of one of those youtubers that review movies but haven't seen anything pre 1970's.

Some of those are just bad, even if you try to excuse it with +popculture.

There are people that literally want to be Tyler Durden who was glamorized by Brad Pitt. "Lets ruin modern society! Fighting is cool. Lets hit VWs with baseball bats." The movie is a comedy. It was done well. It did not reach everyone and people think nihilism is deep.

Yo are you a cop? You have to tell me if you are bro. It's the law.

You guys I think this dude is a cop! He don't even like movies.

>these are the people I share a board with

conan
7 samurai
Metropolisthe good one, not the gay ass cartoon

Salo
A Serbian film
Army Dog
Mary and Max
Slither
Poughkeepsie Tapes
Tank Girl
Citizen Kane
Movie 43
Super
Freddy got Fingered

>Superbad
>The Dark Knight
>Zombieland
Genuinely kill yourself.

I think if you call yourself a 'movie person' and you haven't seen early 2000s shit like Blow and Swordfish you might be retarded

The year 2001 in particular was insane for movies
>Ali
>3000 miles to graceland
>Training Day
>Enemy at the Gates
>Black Hawk Down
>Donnie Darko
>Along Came a Spider
>The Royal Tennenbaums
>Zoolander
>Mulholland Drive
>Atlantis The Lost Empire
>Monster's Ball
>A Knight's Tale
>The Fast and the Furious
>Shrek
>Monsters, Inc.
>A Beautiful Mind
>Hannibal
>Fellowship of the Ring
>Kate & Leopold
>The Pledge
>Saving Silverman
>Super Troopers
>Monkeybone
>Memento
>Joe Dirt
>Rush Hour 2
>Osmosis Jones
>Rat Race
>Ghosts of Mars
>Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
>Corky Romano
>K-Pax
>Thirteen Ghosts
>Black Knight
>How High
>Not Another Teen Movie
>Vanilla Sky

From cultural icons, to cult classics, to stupid ass comedies, to animated features. This list alone has a ton of 'Must See' movies on it and they're all from the same year.

Cause you're not bonafide

ive seen them all except moonlight, and i dont watch that faggot shit

>Milo Yiannopoulous is a serial killer in this biopic
Ugh, when will the lamestream media learn?

proof 9/11 ruined life

>Ernest Scared Stupid
KINO

Yup,everything went to shit for benefit of glorious 2-3 old families and their strike force dogs