MST3K

Whats the general opinion on this

Other urls found in this thread:

rifftrax.com/catalog/type/audio
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Liked it until I got to the Avalanche episode and Jonah went on some random spiel about how dangerous the world is for women

I hope he dies. How's that?

Mixed, but mostly positive. It's very similar to the original, though not as good.

inb4 wahhhh Patton Oswalt says thing I don't like on twitter

Its pretty hit and miss. Some episodes are consistently hilarious and some are complete duds. Also the show has some random sjw moments

watched 3 episodes so far

1st one was okay, average for MST3k
2nd was great, one of the top 20 i'd say
3rd was terrible and boring, I nearly fell asleep

so overall its just like any other season of mst3k

I dont care about his twitter, I care about the livelihood of his daughter.
She shouldnt be living with a murderer.

HELLA. F*CKIN'. EPIC.

Patton is easily the worst part of the show, it's like he's not even trying. and I thought Felicia would be bad.

it feels a lot more like old mst3k than I was expecting

and like old mst3k it hit or miss

and like old

reddit

It's ok so far

Basically what this user was saying

Does this really happen?

And if he wasn't an outspoken liberal you'd feel exactly the same way, I'm sure.

Agreed. He's fucking awful. It's the people who slam the show over his personal life that I take issue with. That shit's SJW-level retarded.

Sort of. There's a part where he explains to the bots that Rock Hudson is an asshole to Mia Farrow in the movie (which is true).

I'm wondering if we'll get another season of this

Yes. One of the charcters in the movie theyre watching is kind of a douche who tries to get his ex wife back and kisses her out of nowhere. Later Jonah talks about how she had the right to use physical force against him and how people are to accepting of mysogeny, and literally says "the world is a very dangerous place for women"

Some episodes are better than others, most have their moments. I went to a Rifftrax Live event the day before they released it and this season doesn't really compare to their body of work.

Patton has been phoning it in for a while now. He had a role on veep for a while and was easily the worst cast member

star crash ep was kino

Other than that, like old MST3k, hit or miss eps. Felicia was surprisingly ok, Oswalt was shit and like other people said, phoning it in.

I can't make it through a whole movie, I've tried 3 times already. I always just end up watching an old episode instead.

I generally like Jonah and the guy that does Crowe's voice, but Kinga, Patton, and the voice of Tom Servo are all fucking awful. Kinga especially doesn't seem to know she's supposed to be playing an evil mad scientist. She mostly just acts friendly and cheerful to everyone, which is pretty shitty when she's actually supposed to be be torturing the SOL crew.

I don't really care about Patton's politics or whatever, but I do agree he's shit on the show as well. Honestly both him and the chick that plays Kinga are both dogshit, and the worst part of every episode.

Crow and Tom should've not come back and two new robots would've been better

How was Felicia OK? She just smiled and acted nice to everyone. Fuck, we were subjected to some shitty song about her online boyfriend.

The mads are supposed to be twisted and weird, not a pathetic lonely women that can't act.

Don't care for the actors at all. I'll just stick to the originals.

Gypsy's new voice and persona are garbage too. I liked the old show where she was basically retarded because most of her brainpower went into running the ship.

>a pathetic lonely women that can't act

Sooooo... just like Pearl then?

This is also true. The jokes she drops as she's passing through the theater are never good. She was funnier before, but I guess it's just not PC enough to have a man doing a falsetto voice anymore.

I can't believe that at one point I used to somewhat enjoy the Pearl era host bits. I can't stand a second of them now

Good:
Jonah and Crow's new VA are great. Really hit the stride.

Meh:
Production value is in this weird flux between "look how poor we are" and "look how much money we have."
Skits feel forced, especially the invention exchanges, but the best skits are fantastic.
Riffing is fine. Sometimes jokes are rushed one after the other, and other times there's just long silences as if we cared about the plot.

Bad:
Felicia Day and Patton Oswalt are somehow worse than Pearl solo.
I don't give a flying fuck about their weak little attempt at an overarching story line.
Gypsy being voiced by an actual woman and occasionally trying to tell jokes is fucking cringey. Probably the worst part of the new series.
It sort of lacks the overall comfiness the original series had. When I go back and I grab anything from the original MST3k, and hell, even Rifftrax, I feel like I'm hanging out with my friends and just shooting the shit. This doesn't give me that same feeling.

reddit nu-male trash

How long until the Bill Nye/MST3K Crossover episode?

Pearl was pathetic and lonely, but she was also twisted, weird, and sick. She basically delighted in torturing the SOL crew, and had a bunch of freaks she beat on and ran through experiments. What does this new chick do other than sit there with a dull smile on her face?

It must suck to be you

Couldn't agree more on pretty much every point.

The old show had a nice charm of ultra-low budget and a cable access show, even at its most popular. This how feels like a corporate imitation of the original.

This is the most accurate post in this thread.

>it's a "tell me what to think about this show or movie" thread

Panchito episode is best so far

I only saw the first episode but you nailed everything I thought

The original show has the most uncanny ability to put me to sleep no matter how awake I feel, and I mean that as a compliment. It is comfiness incarnate. The new one is the only time I've chosen to to turn an episode off and just go to sleep instead, a small but important distinction

Oh fuck, you're right. Pack it up boys. We need to make room for more BRAP and Bane threads!

Druumphf

You mean a discussion about the positives and negatives a tv show? Wow, who would have guessed something like this would be in the TV and Film section of this site?

Fuck off Gary

Felicia in the opening sequence is hot af.

I hope we do, family. It would be nice if Netflix picked them up.

I can agree with this, though like the other user said the new Gypsy is fucking awful.

Also agree with this. Pearl was weaker than Dr Forrester, but Pearl's still preferable to the camel. As weak as Patton is (Maybe he's intentionally phoning it in because Frank was wooden too, but Frank was still more charismatic acting poorly than Patton) he's the one redeeming part of the mads.

They also should knock the fucking celebrity cameos on the head. Cameos from previous MST3K people is fine, especially if they aren't playing their MST3K characters like Joel in that one shuttle bit, but no fucking random-ass celebs. Even if they weren't being paid and were just doing it because they're fans, keep them out.

>I went to a Rifftrax Live event the day before they released it and this season doesn't really compare to their body of work.

That's why I was never really overexcited for this MST3K revival. Rifftrax has been scratching that itch just fine for over a decade now, and as far as I'm concerned, that's where the real spirit of the original show continues. For that reason, I've been a little suspicious of people who really got worked up when this new season was announced. "Real" fans would know that Rifftrax was a thing, and that in a way, MST3K never really went away. Plus, I've got to imagine that a vast majority of MST3K fans have scores of original episodes that they haven't seen yet.

I don't really get the hate for the Pearl bits.

Same.

>Make it about 20 minutes into a new episode
>"...ehhh, I think I'll just watch Prince of Space again."

I like Rifftrax, but they never felt like a great replacement for the original show. I loved the original MST3K because they would present obscure-as-fuck garbage I"ve never heard of, rip it to threads, but break of the terribleness of the film with fun skits. Rifftrax just sort of makes fun of mostly popular movies.

Really the closest thing to MST3K in a strange way is Red Letter Media, especially the best of the worst series. Granted it's not the entire movie, but it has a lot of the same feel as what MST3K was about, just with more booze and perversion.

Yeah, I never saw the appeal of Rifftrax since they tend to cover new and popular movies while thing about MST3K to me has always been watching old and often completely awful movies. It's almost like an endurance test to see how much you can take, before you need a break.

I just recently started watching the early Joel episodes and jesus the early movies were horrible, I had to rewind Robot Monster couple of times just to make sure I had not missed a piece of dialog because the plot didn't seem to make any sense, I literally thought I must have fallen asleep in the middle of it somewhere despite only being forty minutes into the episode.

>decide to check out what all the hype is about
>play ep 1 and see wil wheaton then turn it off
Nope

I've never really been much of a fan of the modern movie riffs they've done, but there are some riffs they've done of some older movies that I hold up there with the original MST3K. Stuff like Supersonic Man, Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny, and Fun in Balloon Land are gold.

I love Pearl.

So hit or miss like the original is the new parrot echo?

I'd say that getting the current references and not being used to voice actors should tide any newcomer over.

But seriously, the references are key here. For one women can't or won't get them, the last season's references are almost 20 years old and Comedy Central's are closer to 30.

Just an off the cuff riff in the original, is going to perplex and alienate just about everyone. While pop culture was represented, really getting a riff by growing up or gaining knowledge and rewatching an old episode made, it that much more personal.

Maybe now you can pause and Google the riffs.

>Maybe now you can pause and Google the riffs.

Want to haha with your more intelligent friends? Sign up for the references chest sheets. Only $14.99 a season.

comfy/11

There's wikis dedicated to explaining every reference in every episode of the original series.

I honestly couldn't imagine being so easily triggered by random throwaway bits.

the world can be a pretty dangerous place for women and the avalanche shit was full of antiquated and cartoonish misogyny. How much of a persecution complex faggot sjw are you retards?

kys

>Maybe now you can pause and Google the riffs.
or just not be a knownothing dipshit and have a basic awareness of pop culture and how jokes work and you'll be fine. The funniest shit is rarely the random references. The best new episode to me is the Hercules one, just because of the amount of comedy mileage they got from the shitty italian, the nips, the silly physical comedy etc. The culture references are just spice.

Probably the 2nd thing to come from Kickstarter that I've truly loved.

I loved the pearl jam gags.

Yeah, Pearl was great. She was horrible to everyone in a Mimi from the Drew Carey Show way.

Are you retarded? 90% of their catalog is garbage MST3k-style films.

Grizzly, Day of the Animals, Honor and Glory, etc. are all they've released lately. The most popular movie they've done in the past year was The Wizard, and it was great.

He does.

They did Jurassic World a few months ago.
rifftrax.com/catalog/type/audio

>watch first ep with pal
>"muh Feeleshuh Daye!"
>"muh Padawan Oswall!"
>in-movie cuts are about as humorous as before (hilarious with autists, lame with normies)
>sneaks one 5 minute rap on multiculti shit in halfway through

It's, meh. I don't see why they felt the need to up the production value and insert a bunch of B celebs into the mix

I didn't think this show could insert political shit into their jokes, but they did and they suck.

I agree 100%

So Joel, Josh and Trace?

I like Joel and Trace, but Josh was fucking terrible as Servo and Larry. I don't know if it's sheer coincidence, but the show even had a noticeable uptick in quality when he left. That might have been Mike taking over as head writer too, though.

pretty reddit

>people hating Pearl segs
I thought the mad scientist trio of sci fi era was one of the best parts
Fuck look at Bobo in any given episode and then look at him in episode 2. His costume was so good and they could barely even recreate it.
I also thought Observer was a good unique concept.

Though I have not seen the reboot, I have tried watching the original a couple of times, once when I visited my mom and kid brother, and another time, recently, when I hung with my best friend.

Sad to say, it just doesn't tickle my funny bone, which is weird, since I love many dumb comedies and like the old Spoony Experiment, which uses MST3K as an inspiration.

Sometimes there are weird dry spells where they miss plenty of chances for jokes, and other times they try to cram all the riffs together. The voices are too similar and all sound effeminate. The jokes themselves are generally of higher quality than you get with Rifftrax but the writers' inexperience is obvious. I have no interest in the meta narrarive whatsoever.

Any true fan of MST3K k ows this shit is garbage. Shitty useless Joel just trying to get some cash. Fuck him. He was a shit writer hack prop comic that had one good idea but couldn't deliver a pizza let alone a joke.

Once Mike became a writer and then later stared it was the MST3K we all know and love. You know all those KTMA episodes that were great? Yeah me either, they were shit, just like Joel.

Riftrax is the true prodigy of MST3K, not this new shiny pathetic bullshit made to cash in with LE IRONIC kids.

Fuck off. God damn this pisses me off.

Goddamn Prince of Space was so good.