Name one (1) better fantasy film

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=W5K3AKl5qpc
youtube.com/watch?v=RSDgmvBfEok
youtube.com/watch?v=jOBhE8JOcLE
youtube.com/watch?v=IfB6C8a8ttg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

pic related

Excalibur, Conan has an amazing soundtrack though.
youtube.com/watch?v=W5K3AKl5qpc

This movie has everything
> Young brash hero played by super young (and not yet crazy) Tom Cruise
> Juicy female virgin princess to rescue
> Horny loli fairy
> Badass super "horny" demon as vilain
> Crazy "peterpanesque" side-kick.
> Chopping off horns from unicorns

Seriously, this movie was great.

Fellowship, bitch.

> Childhood Trauma "The Movie"

His side kick in destroyer was so shit compared to the mexican surfer in the first movie.

The 80s truly were a golden age for fantasy films

Found the underage redditor

Schindlers list

> reddit have shit taste
Shocker

That's not fantasy, it's sword & sorcery.

Empire Strikes Back.

>Conan the Barbarian is a 1982 American fantasy adventure film directed and co-written by John Milius.

try again ya hairsplitting faggot

S&S is a sub-genre of fantasy

If you haven't seen those 3 movies, you know shit about pre-2000 fantasy.

It would been better had it not been for the fairies and the short people.

Good user. Don't question, just parrot.

Sinbad 7th voyage

Mad Martigan is the only thing you need for this movie to be awesome.

jason & the argonauts
Gor
Krull
Message from space
She
Hercules with lou ferrigno
Labyrinth

I wonder why REALLY great and enjoyable fantasy movies are so rare.

>Now that the kikes at Disney have completely strip-mined all cash generating IP from Jim Henson and the Creature Shop, Brian Henson and Frank Oz will never find the funding to film the sequel

This is the corniest piece of British cheese ever but any movie where Jack Palance chews the scenery has a massive place in my heart.

Willow is a fucking awful movie compared to any of the other 80's fantasy titles discussed here.

I see you and raise:

My top three would probably be

Conan the Barbarian
7th Voyage of Sinbad
Highlander

Hawk the Slayer was RUBBISH.

where did this "number (#)" meme come from?

Germany v Brazil in football

1-7 (seven) so that people wouldn't somehow mistake the '7' for a '1'

ah i see

Lucio Fulci's Conquest

Sup Forums

To make fun of Brazil being beaten so badly by making it clear that it was 7 (seven) goals

wewe

I often miss Sup Forums. Then I realise it's Sup Forums but with sports and subjectivity doesn't work.

Why doesn't Pegg do another season of Spaced? There's probably a shit-ton of stuff he could parody now. Like all the Marvel superhero movies, they hadn't even started when this was on air.

this is fucking funny
i'm trying not to lose my shit laughing at this because i am at work and my boss is sitting right in front of me

Whats Sup Forums opinion on this

Get back to work, Freeman

>proof is parroting
No.

Legend. Ridley Scott at his best. His Lord of the Rings would have been legendary. The scene with Tim Curry asking, "How like you my gifts?". So good.

Loved it. Good movie.

Not sure if those qualify as the type of fantasy OP wants but I'll throw in Krull and The Golden Voyage Of Sinbad.

Great fantasy movie with 10/10 commentary.
youtube.com/watch?v=RSDgmvBfEok

Here are some highlights.
youtube.com/watch?v=jOBhE8JOcLE

That movie is a nightmare

Number (#) has been around for longer, btw, even on this site.

cute. i always watch it at least once around yule and wish i had a star little sister.
also the soundtrack is fukin awesome.

Conan is great. If you liked the movie you'll love the short stories. The earlier ones can be repetitive (it is pulp fiction after all) but the later ones are really good.

Tower of the Elephant a best

I read the Conan Comics by darkhorse, they are all amazing. I have 20 volumes, at 500+ pages each. Thats over 10,000 pages of Conan killing things and fucking bitches. The worst that has happened to him was he got shot with 3 or 4 arrows in the back once.

The guy is indestructible.

oh fuck no

Read the short stories, seriously, Howard was a fantastic writer with a very cinematic quality to his writing, very descriptive without getting bogged down in detail, great flow of action and combat, always colourful and interesting. Later comics tended to focus on somewhat exaggerated aspects that writers after Howard ran with and it's partly why the dumb violent barbarian stereotype exists, when Conan himself was smart, would write, speak several language fluently, cunning, was as much a sneaky silent thief as he was a mercenary soldier. Read the stories, they're fuckin great.

There's a great anecdote about Howard, who said one night, as he sat at his typewriter, Conan came up behind him with a great axe and bid Howard write Conan's tales or he'd lop off his head, and he did so til sunrise. But then he had to rest, because knew that the second night returned, so would Conan.

any lotr, obviously. what are all these cheesy old 80's movies nobody gives a fuck about?

Thats actually really awesome. The cover you posted of the short stories, would it be by the same publishing company that did the H.P. Lovecraft collections? They have the same faux leather on gold looking covers.

In the comics they tell a story about Howard taking a vacation to Mexico to let the creative juices flowing. Its before he starts on Conan and his stories so far are falling flat. The vacation goes quagmire as he took up an unsavory guy to be his guide. Anyway, he ends up retelling the fanciful weekend as if it was Conan doing it in far off Khem or something. It even ends the same, with Conan standing over his shoulders as he types, "approving" of his version of his tale.

I too have wondered why. Even if it's just a one hour special.

finland mini series "rauta-aika" is pretty good because of its mystic nature, shame its almost impossible to find it online

youtube.com/watch?v=IfB6C8a8ttg

Incredibly underrated. I'm surprised it isn't brought up more often in discussion of fantasy films on Sup Forums.
It's a refreshing kind of storybook fantasy. Doesn't take itself too seriously and is just a blast to watch

I'm not that user who posted the cover, I just like to go around and shill Howard's stories because they're really fun. But yes, I believe it's the same people who put out the Lovecraft collections, and it's a book I'm looking into getting myself, I have two big chunky collections that are out of chronological order, I believe that one has the stories in the order they were written.

And would you happen to know which comic or series that's in? I'd like to read it, sounds funny.

Ruined by a modern soundtrack. Give it a score like Gladiator and the movie is improved in every way.

We need a new Conan. Maybe his daughter since Arnie is too old and weak. She could save the world from some evil force or have some sort of epic journey. Think how good it would look in 4k

Probably the best thing about Conan is how he comes across like a believable person. Some jokingly call him the father of multiclassing because he took a shot at everything during his life, but it just translates to someone who has accumulated of tone of life experience over the decades. One major misunderstanding about Conan coming from the movie is that he's a dumb brute when literary Conan was in fact anything but.

New Conan was apparently confirmed not to be happening. The franchise is dead, the 2011 movie killed it, let it be.

>Matt Vaughn can do no wrong as a director

Wow i had to Google it.i didn't even know they made another one.

Shocking desu

Its in the 19th volume. A story called "Barbarians of the Border".

The comics are told out of order as well, I'm not sure if it tries to follow the release order of the stories. Some take place during his time as Amra the Lion, some while he's a younger man still terrified of magic, some while he's older and experienced, some when he is king of Alquilonde. Part of the fun is trying to map out his life as they seem to actually try to keep it consistent. If he says it took 4 months to travel from point A to point B, there will probably be a story told later that tells what crazy stuff happened during that trip and stuff like that.

The art for them can be downright masterful too. I'd take some pics but my camera sucks.

>Some jokingly call him the father of multiclassing

This is pretty much a direct result of later misunderstandings or skewed visions of the character. People like L. Spraque de Camp and Karl Wagner (I think that's his name) wrote more and more Conan changing the character, because if history teaches us one thing, it's not to let fans continue on the official legacy of the thing they are a fan of. I mean, Conan wasn't exactly the deepest, most complex literary character in history, but what he was in relation to his creator makes him fascinating, what he represents is so much more interesting than the bastardized brute later on. Movie Conan certainly suffered from some of that, but he had some more to him I appreciate, he talked (little, but he talked), he thought, he discussed, the little aside with Subotai about their gods, the breaking down into laughter with the wizard, the prayer to Crom, they show stuff more than just 'me kill enemy now'. Such a good fucking movie, honestly.

Cheers m8, I'm gonna see if I can find it somewhere.

You can think of the stories pretty much how the anecdote does it - Conan comes along one night and regales you with another story of his life as he remembers them, some are a little more realistic, some might be a little more exaggerated to make him look good. I love that kind of outlook honestly, makes it feel a little more human.

And I think I've seen some of the artwork, did Bernie Wrightson ever so Conan art?

>One major misunderstanding about Conan coming from the movie is that he's a dumb brute when literary Conan was in fact anything but.

I always see this but it's overblown IMO. Most of the bias comes from the word "barbarian" in the title and Arnie's thick accent. Other than his boring slavery at the wheel (a good scene in other ways and often referenced) Conan is shown to be widely read, highly trained, even intelligent. He knows of Subotai's people and his former order. He enjoys excess but isn't greedy, he doesn't give thots the time of day. Conan is religious but practical, he lies freely, he knows the word "infinity" in the current year. He is not only driven by revenge but a desire to learn the riddle of steel. He's also somewhat cunning in battle, there is never any frontal assault.

It's clear they tried to be faithful to Conan.

>Seriously, this movie was great.
hahahah holy fuck no legend was terrible.

Fire & Ice, motherfucker. I wish some rotorscoping was done better, but it's still a decent piece of animation. Shame the movie's best character is barely in it.

>not making malak
your breathe must smell with all that shit taste

That movie was shit and Bakshi is a hack.

its alright needed more fantasy though, that swordfight at the end was goat GOAT i say

I love this movie to bits even though I am fully aware it was a cash grab, I mean, it's just fucking Frank Frazetta: The Movie

>before 1990
>oldest movie on the list is from 1968

jesus christ, I hate reddit

p a t r i c i a n, desu

Close but not quite

No, it was perfect as it was.

My Nigga

very good

>ctrlf-f dragonheart
>0 (zero) results
come on senpaitachi

thankfully hollywood will never touch the best s&s characters and setting and normies will never destroy my pulp reading.

The world needs another fantasy wave, I'm f*cking tired of sci fi and semi-modern current times bullshit. It's the only stuff that seems to come out.
Except for King Arthur featuring that dude from Green Street Hooligans.

Move aside

this movie was on TBS or WGN like every weekend when I was growing up and I watched it every time.

still the best and scariest movie dragon IMO

the one with the kid who had a limp leg, gets challenged by his sister's chad boyfriend to cross a sewer current on a pipe, falls into the current and gets transferred to a dimension where the heroes are ninja kangaroos and he can walk.

you won't get fantasy until the 2020s

60s and early 80s was fantasy, 70s and 90s was sci fi, 00s was fantasy and 20s.

chances are by 2025 mars and moon stuff will be oversaturating people's minds they will want to escape into the past again.

Ice Pirates (is it scifi? they sure do love using swords)

The Princess Bride?

Masters of the Universe

Evil Dead 3: Army of Darkness?

urgh, I can't dig deep enough.

Fire and Ice? Yeah, that was the best

>implying we're not cursed to watch capeshit and capeshit-ified franchises like star wars until hollywood explodes