J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis bonded over their mutual hatred of Walt Disney, private letters reveal

>In private letters published in 2006, the fantasy legends sling bitchy insults and put-downs like a stuffy, academic Gossip Girl, decrying Disney's creative choices in 1937's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and referring to the man himself as an ill-educated "boob".

>Dwarfs ought to be ugly of course, but not in that way," Lewis wrote in a correspondence to Tolkien shortly after they attended a screening of the film together. "And the dwarfs' jazz party was pretty bad. I suppose it never occurred to the poor boob that you could give them any other kind of music.

>But all the terrifying bits were good, and the animals really most moving: and the use of shadows (of dwarfs and vultures) was real genius. What might not have come of it if this man had been educated–or even brought up in a decent society?

>Lewis also condemned the dwarfs' "bloated, drunken, low comedy faces," and criticised the design of the Evil Queen as being "unoriginal."

>Tolkien, who took a far more mythical approach with his own dwarves in The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, was similarly unimpressed by Disney, so much that he pledged to never work with him or his company.

>"I recognise his talent, but it has always seemed to me hopelessly corrupted," he wrote in a letter to a Stanford University student named Miss J.L. Curry several years later. "Though in most of the 'pictures' proceeding from his studios there are admirable or charming passages, the effect of all of them is to me disgusting. Some have given me nausea..."

>So while both authors are renowned for creating elaborately surreal universes of magical wardrobes and Middle-Earth, Tolkien and Lewis also appear to have invented the sort of shady, Twitter-friendly hate-watch we all take for granted today. What pioneers.

Disney BTFO

Other urls found in this thread:

telegraph.co.uk/books/news/jrr-tolkien-cs-lewis-bonded-mutual-hatred-walt-disney-private/
youtube.com/watch?v=9qO02Atg3Dk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

nica sauce, fuckface.

>all that asshurt over dwarves

Was it autism?

telegraph.co.uk/books/news/jrr-tolkien-cs-lewis-bonded-mutual-hatred-walt-disney-private/

wordlimit

>J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis bonded over their mutual hatred of Walt Disney
>Narnia movies finally were made by Disney

You should have wrote in your testament about it as Tolkien did, you dummy Lewis

Why is Lewis bitching about unoriginal evil queens? He pulled that shit in at least two books.

Who would win in a fist fight out of the 3 if they were brought back to life.

Bonus mode they all get to use the most powerful weapon they thought of in their lore.

Disney just paid the money and later sold the franchise to Fox. Walden Media made the movies.

Manlets are to be cuddled and loved ok.

The design

Pottery
So the akschushuallyllly nerds have more in common with their idols than previously thought?

Still unpure

>What might not have come of it if this man had been educated–or even brought up in a decent society?

Is the hate for Walt Disney warranted? All he did is open a couple of theme parks for kids and drew cartoons, what the fuck warrants so much envy against him?

Americans are uncivilised brainlets: confirmed.

Tolkien, he was a WW1 combat veteran, he'd get fucking dirty trench warfare style.

>"I recognise his talent, but it has always seemed to me hopelessly corrupted,"
Fuck man he should see them now

Nope, he was a working class American schlub with a dream, which he realized, compared to these effete upper class snobs.

>>old british queens upset at the uppity colony-nigga

>Combat veteran
No he wasn't, he operated a telegraph machine in a secure bunker far in the rear for 99% of his service in WWI.

He would still probably win though.

Disney's cancer is generational.

They would have fucking loved Sup Forums.

/ourguys/

>Tolkien and Lewis would be posting on tv shitting on disney/marvel/starwars were they alive

/our guys/

>They would have fucking loved Sup Forums.
Maybe old Sup Forums and a big maybe for Tolkien, but lewis was against all the pleb trash culture this board pushes

>you will never shit on mouseshills with based Tolkien

>"the effect of all of them is to me disgusting. Some have given me nausea..."
Tolkien was the original Snyderbro fucking BASED

Don't know about Lewis but Tolkien was an orphan. He didn't exactly have an easy life.
That was WWII you spud. In WWI he fought at the Somme, it's what inspired Mordor.

Tolkien would have loathed the christian references in Snyder's work. He would shit on him harder than he did on Disney.

Tolkien killed other men with his bare hands in the trenches you moron

>Tolkien was bothered by the tales’ inconsistent use of mythological figures. Characters from classical myth are scattered through the stories, alongside figures from modern folklore and kiddie lit. He couldn’t see how a story could feature both fauns and Father Christmas, dryads and dragons, Baachus and Beatrix Potter-type talking animals. It was all too derivative, too contrived, too much of a poorly conceived, partially thought-out mishmash.

>Furthermore, Tolkien didn’t share Lewis’s love of children’s literature as such. While Tolkien appreciated fairy tales and myth, he didn’t think they should be relegated to literature for children. He disliked dream tricks (as Lewis used in The Great Divorce) to transport people into alternate worlds, and he mistrusted magical literary devices in which children popped into other worlds through mirrors, wardrobes, or rabbit holes.

>In short, Tolkien took myth more seriously. He built his alternative world from the ground up. Beginning with the language of the elves, Tolkien created the race that spoke the language, then conceived and carefully created not only the other races and their languages, but the whole world in which they lived, complete with its geography, history, and comprehensive myth. Tolkien may have been scornful of the rapidity and ease with which Lewis created his stories, but he was so not simply because the works were produced quickly, but because it showed.

>Tolkien’s real objections to Narnia, however, run deeper. Tolkien disliked allegory, and the Narnia tales were too allegorical for his taste. Lewis protested that they were not an allegory (he had already written an allegory in his Pilgrim’s Regress) but an analogy. While it is true that the characters in Narnia do not have a one-to-one allegorical relationship with abstract truths, they do point clearly to greater truths and greater characters in the Christian story. Tolkien objected.

>tfw there never was a time when Disney wasn't pleb central for plebdittors.

This is funny cause I remember Harlan Ellison and Michael Moorcock expressing distaste for Tolkien's work.

>Moorcock
unfortunate name or GOAT name?

Tolkien being friend with C.S. Lewis must have been like a 20 year old hanging out with an eleven year old.

>On 7 June, he was informed that he had been assigned as a signals officer to the 11th (Service) Battalion, Lancashire Fusiliers. The battalion was part of the 74th Brigade, 25th Division.
>A weak and emaciated Tolkien spent the remainder of the war alternating between hospitals and garrison duties, being deemed medically unfit for general service.

Signal corps means he would have spent most of his time wiring messages and wagging flag signals. His own recollections from the Somme indicate that the most he saw of combat was a trip to a frontline trench to talk with a machine gun operator. He got so sick from disease carried by lice that he ended up spending the remainder of the war in what amounts to the reserves.

He was not a true combat veteran, more like a POG who saw the front from a forward operating base for a time.

And he has no involvement in WWII. He actually didn't want to fight in WWI but his family basically forced him to join.

>ywn hear Tolkien tell Lewis to go back to r*ddit

>it's n-not an allegory Tolkein-sama I s-swear
>it's an analogy
>:^)

At least Disney wrote what his characters' tax policies were.

>Harlan Ellison and Michael Moorcock

their work though innovative is still inferior

they twisted their genres like disney did and in doing so, lost the deeper aspects and the appeal of the mythology.

ONE OF US ONE OF US ONE OF US

/ourguys/

Disney IS universally hated here though, right?

>Harlan Ellison and Michael Moorcock

Literally Who?

No it's not, Sup Forums is not one person.
go back to redddit

Yes, don't pay mind to the vocal minority of mouseshills.

Classic Disney, no. The guy was pretty based, it was basically suburban housewife lifestyle propaganda.

Now? Sup Forums's enemy number ONE (1)

>Tolkien arrived at theSommein early July 1916. In between terms behind the lines atBouzincourt, he participated in the assaults on theSchwaben Redoubtand theLeipzig Salient.
>In the run-up to theSecond World War, Tolkien was earmarked as acodebreaker. In January 1939, he was asked whether he would be prepared to serve in thecryptographicdepartment of the Foreign Office in the event of national emergency.He replied in the affirmative and, beginning on 27 March, took an instructional course at the London HQ of theGovernment Code and Cypher School.

>Disney now owns and produces fucking EVERYTHING
I wish monopolies were illegal.

>he was so not simply because the works were produced quickly, but because it showed.
whew

go tweet some shillary posts you stupid communist

That first bit is incredibly vague, he wrote nothing about it in his own recollections, and I highly doubt a signal officer would be participating in any kind of heavy combat.

The second bit has nothing to do with combat, I can't even fathom why you bothered posting it.

Ironic, since Disney is the one spewing leftist and commie propaganda.

We recognize it's poison but still enjoy it on occasion.

Maybe with you libcucks
Iger is team trump and Sup Forums is Sup Forums sister board as confirmed by our mod thats been babysitting Sup Forums for a decade now

>The bigger things get the smaller and duller or flatter the globe gets. It is getting to be all one blasted little provincial suburb. When they have introduced American sanitation, morale-pep, feminism, and mass production throughout the Near East, Middle East, Far East, U.S.S.R., the Pampas, el Gran Chaco, the Danubian Basin, Equatorial Africa, Hither Further and Inner Mumboland, Gondhwanaland, Lhasa, and the villages of darkest Berkshire, how happy we shall be. At any rate it ought to cut down travel. There will be nowhere to go. So people will (I opine) go all the faster. Col. Knox says ⅛ of the world's population speaks 'English', and that is the biggest language group. If true, damn shame – say I. May the curse of Babel strike all their tongues till they can only say 'baa baa'. It would mean much the same. I think I shall have to refuse to speak anything but Old Mercian.

It's just british classism reflected against an American. Tolkien and CS lewis wrote books for teenagers, Disney created the medium of animation and the idea of theme parks. Faggot brits I fucking hate you get off my board

B A S E D
A
S
E
D

fucking SOURCE

CS Lewis was the worst christian apologist of all time, i have never read a weaker piece of apologetics than le milk jug argument

But what was his tax policy?

Lewis rings the bell.

youtube.com/watch?v=9qO02Atg3Dk

>tfw your great grandson is a pleb

Ill-educated boob.

It's funny that their friendship later turned sour over Lewis' Narnia books.

No :^)

Did it? Criticism of friend's work doesn't necessarily ruin the friendship, does it? I mean, I'm not arguing, if you know something I don't, I'm curious.

>another anti-Disney thread

I never heard of that. If anything it was because Lewis was a dirty protestant.

To be fair, Frozen had yet to be released in Tolkien's era.

You mean you expected some stronger words? They were gentlemen, you know.

This is an art board so obviously yes. Anyone saying "no" or anything other than only "yes" is a shill btw

It's understandable that they had harsh words before Disney perfected art with Frozen.

False, this is a meme board.

They drifted apart more over religious differences and personal ones than over their work, though they did reconcile late in life.

>based JRR hated disney when it was good
He would probably go on a shooting spree in Disneyland if he saw it today

What animation studio has the talent to turn Tolkien's Father Christmas letters into the kino it deserves?

Okay, we'll get off your board, if you get off our World Wide Web and get off our computer. Also, the website doesn't say .us, does it? :^)

He would've been another educated nobody

Ï sometimes wonder how Tolkien would've reacted seeing the LOTR films.

Well, their friendship did sour, but it wasn't just over the Narnia books.

I doubt Tolkien was a supporter of incest, lesbian incest come to that.

Lewis also refused to go Catholic and settled for being Anglican due to peer pressure. This really rustled Tolkien who was really hardcore about Mass in Latin and doing things the old way.

I think the Catholic church should make Tolkien a saint to appeal to the young audience

>jrr with his ww1 bolt action capping transniggers and fat blobs
>bayonet charge when he runs out of ammo

Again, you say that but he hadn't seen that webm with Ella's bouncy tits.

Disney took credit for other people's work. If some one drew Mickey he would sign his name on it. An optical mutiplane camera his studio invented and won an award for he would not let anyone else go on stage to except the award

>except

Source: your ass

You have to look like

for what?

>Commoner American guy just wants to have fun and entertain and make children happy, and clearly has a genuine love of it
>Upper class British literature snobs hate him

Tolkein and Lewis just come off as autists really.

How do you think they would've felt about MCU and Disneywars?

>Tfw will never have a round of beers with Tolkien, Lewis and Alec Guiness while we trash pop culture together
It seriously hurts.

US Gov't here,

We want our Arpanet technology back please. Find some other way to run your British ponzi schemes.

Disney was a money grubbing asshole with no integrity

>How do you think they would've felt about MCU and Disneywars?
I am a fucking pleb who has to think for a second before trying to write something like "What might not have come of it if this man had been educated" to get it right and I hate those piece of shit franchises.

They would have felt nothing but the purest kind of revulsion

Where do you get that he would have hated it?

Walt was a cool guy and there was nothing wrong with the stuff Disney created during his lifetime. It wasn't high art and it wasn't meant to be.

>google reverse image search result: man
Well thanks a fucking lot Google.

I don't think Tolkien knew about Lovecraft and even if he did he would have probably hated his guts.