Why do people mock accents? It's just a different way to say words. Why does it matter...

Why do people mock accents? It's just a different way to say words. Why does it matter? I'm a northeastern and I have an accent where I say te at the end of words and ti just like an American and Portuguese people. real T instead of /tʃ/ our prosody is more singing-like but my people think it's funny and ugly. I find it weird when I think about it.

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s09N8FayuE8w
youtube.com/watch?v=UrzO-Ss0W0c
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's because you pronounce by the rules of your native language. Try faking an accent and apply it to how you speak, you start sounding more native.

What a stupid question
In France everyone make fun of the southern accents because it reminds of someone lazy who drunks a lot and don't like to work
we also make fun of northern accent because they are ugly and it sounds like someone from a lost village who fucks his cousin
we make fun of alsatian accent because they always sound like they're yawning
we make fun of québécois accent because diphtongues sounds silly and they sound like they always speak with their nose

no ones makes fun of accents simply because it's different

It's just banter, but I believe deep inside, we don't want to our a accent to die, even if it's considered ugly to foreigners so when we hear other accents in our country, we just mock them, at least that's how I see it.

I'm talking about the way I speak in my own native language.

"ti" is closer to the real Portuguese™ where we just say "te", like it's fucking written.

No ti or txi amerindian bullshit.

It sounds to me you people actually say ti but an i that is pronounced in the middle of your mouth. The i I'm talking about is represented like "ɨ" in IPA

vocaroo.com/i/s09N8FayuE8w

It's a mute 'e' for us. Can't find equivalent in English, and in Portuguese (Euro or Brazilian) we'd just be using different starting points anyway.

My accent is like this but without the S like SH. I only pronounce s like sh when there's a t before it like "vista"
youtube.com/watch?v=UrzO-Ss0W0c

Sounds the closest to Euro Portuguese I've heard from Brazil.

The 'i's at the end of the words are a dead giveaway.

We also use that short sh everywhere at the end of words or before any consonant. But not between two vowels.

>Sounds the closest to Euro Portuguese I've heard from Brazil.
This is what I tell /luso/ but this accent is actually the most mocked in Brazil in some people from rio actually believe the accent is the closest lol

Rio is the one we're the most used to hearing here as "Brazilian" but it's not that close.

But then again, Brazilians do mock our accent as well, and we mock all yours, so.

But you said you don't say the "sh" on most s's, so maybe that changes it a lot.

Southerners have gentically mutated vocal cords due to generations of cousin loving so they can't help it.

I'm from the same state as his. My accent is identical to his the only difference is that he'll say "maish" and I'll say "Mais" but both of us will say "pasthel" or "vishta". I'll also say "trêsh dias" Anything with a d or t after the s becomes sh to me but what the mainstream brazilians hate is the fact the way we pronounce de/di, te/ti. They say this accent shouldn't be singing rap or that we sound like bricklayers lmao.

Yeah, Euro Portuguese isn't seen as classy and cultured either, as British English is seen in America.

It rustles my jimmies a bit, desu. I could go to Brazil and get laid a lot more easily.

>tfw everyone loves my accent

I hear Russian has no regional accents, besides people that learn it as a second language.

ill swap my 5 dollarydoos for your Lawnmower

Because northeast is the poorest and most underdeveloped region of this country where the people flee it to clean toilets in SP.
When someone hears your disgusting accent, they think of poverty.
You are brazil's mexico.

People don't mock accents but the people associated with the accents, just like how European accents are perceived and how Asian accents are

That would make sense. USSR moved population around a lot, ie giving people incentives to move east or south, lots of public sector mobility etc.
Also Russian population is mostly concentrated in the west.

native Russian speaker here

there are two "accents". one is where Russians lived prior to the 1600s and the other is everywhere else, if that makes sense. so someone from Rostov-on-Don and someone from Vladivostok sound the same, but the person from Rostov-on-Don will sound slightly different from someone from Rostov Veliky despite being far closer.