/lang/ - Language Learning General

>Learning resources
Check """pastebin.com/ACEmVqua"""; for plenty of language resources as well as some nice image guides.
/lang/ is currently short on those image guides, so if you can pitch in to help create one for a given language, don't hesitate to do so!

Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages:
Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages:
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#

Other urls found in this thread:

fluentu.com/blog/german/learn-german-word-order/
youtube.com/watch?v=w1raLEXVi5I
cw.routledge.com/textbooks/0415253462/pdfs/answers.pdf
cloud
vocaroo.com/i/s09mfE4L81Fm
vocaroo.com/i/s1vA0nbEDHZI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Have you practiced your language today on the meme apps? Duolingo? Memrise?

I finally learned >1400 words for Norwegian

I'm going to start learning Russian. Any tips to make this easier that aren't in the resources?

thrill baby thrill
also pronounce everythin slightly more in the teeth

Kobe is super confy, especially around Sannomiya (the downtown area). Osaka is alright, more of a night-on-the-town kind of place, or a stop on your Japan-trip-pilgrimage to me than a place to stay for an extended period.

wump

I think an interesting problem with learning languages is learning how to absorb information is a different order than you're used to.

I was thinking about how in English you say, for example, 'i had seen a dog jump over a car'.
The info comes as subject -> aux verb for tense -> verb -> article -> object/subject (idk tbqh)-> verb -> preposition -> object.
In german, you might say 'ich habe einen Hund gesehen, der hat über ein Auto gesprungen', which instead goes
subject -> aux verb for tense OR verb (not entirely clear until later in the sentence) -> article -> object -> verb (which also indicates that the aux verb earlier is in fact an aux verb) -> relative pronoun indicating subject -> aux verb OR verb -> preposition -> object -> verb

Mainly im thinking about how in German, you're given the aux verb early in the sentence, but you don't really know what it's modifying until the end of the sentence, which is difficult for me as an anglo native because I fixate on the aux verb, im not really sure how to deal with this info coming so late in a sentence.

Not really looking for help, just something I was thinking about and wanted to see what other people thought. Also my knowledge on linguistical terms is lacking, so if the flowchart type shit isnt accurate pls halp

interesting
> ich habe einen Hund gesehen, der hat über ein Auto gesprungen

translates to
> i had seen a dog jump over a car

more literally, it is
> I saw a dog, that jumped over the car

we use an invisible "that" more often

wont be a problem sooner or later
i dont really notice the english word order

whats your daily routine lads?

Even more literally:
>I have a dog seen, that has over a car jumped
My anglo brain would be expected the sentence to stop at 'i have a dog'

This is actually a perfect of the other interesting problem with language learning: learning how to abstract what you want to say to what sounds natural to another language. When writing the German version of that sentence, I wanted to type 'ich habe einen Hund sprang über ein Auto gesehen' which doesn't really work I think. I had to find a different way to say the same (or a similar) thing. Similarly in Japanese, if you want to say 'do you have to do X in order to Y?' you have to literally say 'If you dont do X, then you cant do Y?'

It's definitely just a matter of practicing enough and adjusting, but its something i've never seen mentioned before, just like the abstraction thing above

I think that happens in german because you used two verbs in both the sentences that are divided by the comma
If I recall correctly the last verb always goes at the end of the sentence

"…der über ein Auto gesprungen hat", no?

oh actually I fucked up. The sentence should be:
ich habe einen Hund gesehen, der über ein Auto gesprungen hat
>I have a dog seen, that over a car jumped has

beat me to it lol

Found it

fluentu.com/blog/german/learn-german-word-order/

Im not so sure it is that, it's possible for that to occur in english too.

ironically enough, just now I used 'to be sure' and 'to be' before the comma, and 'to be possible' and 'to occur' after.

>1. Learn which conjunctions change word order in German and which don’t
Shit, theyre on to me.
Normally I can do most of these things (except 1, i do need to work on that), it's when it comes time to listen that I get caught up most easily.
This is pretty good to have though, thank you.

Duolingo + anki to learn norwegian, also i try to watch/read/listen everything in english, what about you?

If I manage to make time:
>Anki
>Try and speak german with co-workers
>After work take grammer notes from textbook
>Maybe try and start the chapter's practice questions
>Finish the practice questions the next day
>Recently downloaded that new animal crossing game on my phone and i've been playing that in German as well.

i haven't studied at all the past 2 days though, i need my fix

Doing French. Start with a grammar book, pimsleur lesson, duolingo then later some lingvist and memrise. I try to do some Assimil French with ease too but finding it hard to fit it in lately. Might drop duolingo for it instead.

The French anons translated an Emmanuel Macron soundbite on another /int thread. How well can you understand the French?

youtube.com/watch?v=w1raLEXVi5I

Not great but I'm working on it. I've been learning for around 4 months now so it's still early days.

Will save this for later. Thanks a lot anons.

If your learming a language from interest, how did you find out about it and what it is about the language that interests you?
I think ive come to see interest as the most important part of learning a language so i was just wondering.

Do people actually read the pastebin?

I read it once. It just says, hey u shuld use these gr8 resources
> Duolingo
> Pimsleur
> Memrise
> Lingvist
> Anki
> and torrent Pimsleur and Rosetta Stone!

I believe in a language learning podcast I've listened to, the author has talked about this issue with the word order and said that in German people are more patient while talking with each other because they have to wait until the talker finished with his sentence to actually know what he's talking about. An interesting point, languages do change our behavior, and to continue my rambling, i could say that English speakers are more pragmatic, since the language is very basic in my opinion, while Romanian is more poetic and we might be more concerned with the beauty of things. Obviously this is just a bullshit idea in my head but it supports my train of thought here.

The podcast I'm talking about is named "language transfer", give it a try if you're interested.

I just wanna say, Rosetta Stone is absolute dog shit. The Routledge books are good stuff though and i don't see them hyped up in here, I'm using them for German.

This, if I get to understand german word order, I will boost my progress. But it'w not that easy

Can you torrent those books or do you have to buy them?

>German people are more patient while talking with each other because they have to wait until the talker finished with his sentence to actually know what he's talking about
That's very interesting. Things like this are why I love languages, they give you so much insight into why a group of people do certain things.

> languages do change our behavior
You bet it do. Im such a fuckboy when I speak Japanese and I hate it. But that's whats been imprinted on me and i wanna try to fix it

I might actually check it out, it sounds super interesting. Thanks m8

Wait did I recommend you Routledge? lol how far are you into it?

same tho, the biggest hurdle is getting used to the word order i think.

What when are Germans more patient when talking to each other? Have you seen German debate shows

I cant say either way, but that could be because it's a debate show

bump

the Russian ambassador to Canada told me the best way to learn Russian is to get a Russian girlfriend

what a lad

>Und was machst du so in der Freizeit?

What does the "so" mean and what is it for in this sentence?

Does anyone here know Finnish?

I'm pretty sure you can find them either in the drive link in the OP or in the "German language learning pack" torrent in the bay of pirates.
I'll tell you what I used so far, I used "Schenko Grammar workbook" for basic German grammar and some vocabulary, I also did the Intermediate version, just power through them, the grammar is important in my opinion from the start. Now I'm using "Routledge Intensive German Course", which is probably not that great because it was clearly designed to be used with a teacher, which I do not have, and "German for Reading" by Sandberg, which is great because you can use it solo. I'm also reading a little something on the side, news articles, kids books, whatever I can find.
Also, for the Routledge intensive course you can find the answer key here: cw.routledge.com/textbooks/0415253462/pdfs/answers.pdf
>Wait did I recommend you Routledge? lol how far are you into it?
I don't think so, I did a lot of looking around and found the books useful, I'm just starting with the intensive course, but I've done the grammar workbooks by Schenko. If you have anything to recommend please let me know, I rate myself at A2 but I really want to get to B2 as soon as possible and read Hesse in German.

japenesepod lesson plus anki plus shuffling around tae kims grammar guide
im still tryin to decide between msarabic and hebrew

they have their own general

kek
i sound like a massive faggot in english

What are you talking about Moldovene, that's not you.

I started out with Routledge which, as you say, is not ideal.
I'm working with Berliner Platz right now, which has 4 volumes (corresponding to A1, A2, B1, and B2). It's all in German so you can practice while you practice. The only thing is that the grammar explanations aren't very in depth (eg it doesn't explain imperfect vs perfect past tense), but it explains some of the finer details you wouldn't think to learn until you need it (eg declination of welche and diese, how to say things like "is that yours?" instead of "is that your X?", adjective declinations after definite/indefinite/no article, some common suffixes like -ig, -isch, -lich, -los etc etc). Plus the audio files are infinitely nicer, since they're much more natural sounding and don't necessarily enunciate every syllable you get to actually learn how to listen to everyday German.

My advice if you wanna use Berliner Platz: finish Routledge (or maybe do them concurrently if you're feeling gutsy), that way you will at least have an intuition of the key grammar constructs. Then move on to Berliner to get the finer details of the language.

im not moldoveanul
EU SUNT OLTEANCA

Review Anki cards, add some cards if I have time, and a Pimsleur.

Polish:
Babadum, clozemaster, anki, memrise my coursebook and sometimes translating songtexts
Croatian:Anki, Clozemaster, talking with my family, translating songtexts

what textbook are you using for polish

Good stuff, did you buy the books? I can only find the first A1 book on the bay, might order it if it's good though, having it in front of me in physical form is better. And, did you ever read a book in German? At what point do you think that's doable?

nah, you gotta poke around some sketchy russian sites but they are out there. i would like to buy them cause i also like having physical copies, but i got other things that need spending on first lol. And i havent attempting reading anything yet, ive been meaning to start trying.

I think 'doable' depends on the level you wanna read. Kids books, A2 would prolly be sufficient. Anything with substance and i would, with no real basis outside of where i feel I am, say B2ish

"Polish doesn't bite" it's not particurlarly great ( i mostly picked it up because it's only 30 zł/7,50eur) but i found it's fairly good. i'm on the second last chapter and i'd estimate i'm upper A1-Lower A2 (though i used other tools too)

>cantoneseclass101 torrent on rutracker is dead

Berliner Platz A2: cloud dot mail dot ru/public/CJdZ/JvtXkUrZs

I'm having trouble finding B1 but it's out there lol

It's cool, i found them on rutracker, thanks for the info, I might switch to Berliner Platz because it seems better for self study.

>trusting them on anything more than japanese
no
just pirate glossika cantonese

Is the B2 one there?

give me something to learn msarabic with
any arabic learners here
also
what dialect should i focus on?
ill probably learn egyptian after but levantine and maghrebi are both cute

No, only up to B1

Hi /lang/
Is there any recommendations on how to improve my english pronunciation? Especially in such cases like - "wiTH Someone" or "aS THe Silhouette" and "cloTHeS"
Will my tongue ever be able to pronounce that properly?

During th put your tongue between your teeth.

it's not the case, I have a problem with S sound followed by TH and vice versa.

>If your learming a language from interest, how did you find out about it and what it is about the language that interests you?

I am learning Tamil. I found out about it through Kollywood and it interests me as a living ancient language without a great deal of standardization.

For "wiTH Someone", just drop the TH and do a glottal stop instead
"aS THe" you could drop the TH here too. it's a common occurrence in some accents
"cloTHes" you don't pronounce the TH

tamil eh?
thats dravidian if i remember correctly

Thanks, I'll keep practicing and try to figure it out

You should study english accents a bit more. TH is a stupid sound even for natives, people drop it all the time and some even change the pronounciation (like in cockney)

Tbf there's phrases like
Many riches does not a king make
In English where the verb enters the end. I read German like that but I'm a scrub

>Will my tongue ever be able to pronounce that properly?
I hope so user, I also know that feel.
My trigger is a word like order, orrrrdurrrr

I'm having such a hard time picking a language i'm thinking of picking a dead one.

Common one like Latin or something more exotic like Pali and Sanskrit?

Bỏq shỏ mủaq ka

>I'm having such a hard time picking a language
I know this feel too well. My advice, only you can make your decision, its gotta be your interest. Knowing peoples advice can be good but only for information. Look at what you want in a language, look at the languages and make a decision.
>Also difficulty is beaten by interest, so if you want to learn something hard like Sanskirt but you love the language, its gonna be way easier than an easy language you dont give a shit about.
I know this isnt the answer you probably wanted, but I just thought I should say.
Goodluck

Remember that Tiger Mom lady, who had two children who made it to Harvard and were concert violinists and pianists? The elder one studied and got a degree in Sanskrit

Stick with the more useful one, user. It doesn't really matter if you are having a hard time, just relax and learn it when you learn it. There is no rush, enjoy the process. If you enjoy the process, and don't stress yourself, it'll come and be fun in the process.

Is it true

Currently learning French. Ive been trying out the LR method to learn the language, basically listen to a french audio book while reading the book in English.

Has anyone tried this? I've just started doing it. Currently my French is around A2-B1 but my comprehension was shit, I'm halfway through my first book and spoken French is a lot easier to parse.

Ce n'est pas une technique d'apprentissage très répandue, mais si ça fonctionne bien pour toi, alors pourquoi pas. Je suppose que l'efficacité doit dépendre de la personne qui a fait l'audio du livre, c'est-à-dire la clarté de sa voix, son débit et même si c'est un homme ou une femme.

pls don't fellow the Quebecois and pronounce an/on/en incorrectly. it really triggers me
vocaroo.com/i/s09mfE4L81Fm

You're comparing countryside or lower-class Quebecois with Parisian French, which is utterly retarded. In fact, if you listen to the neutral Montreal broadcasting French, words are enunciated way clearer than the French from France (where ''en'' and ''an'' are no longer distinguished, and ''chien'' and ''chiant'' are both pronounced ''chiant'')

nah . i watch tv5 monde which is mostly quebec shit an almost no Quebecois pronounces en/an/on . you just pronounce them like anglos. also most im pretty sure no french pronounces chien as chian

Another example of the French from France butchering out language. The month of ''juin'' is pronounced ''jouant'' in France, basically ignoring how the word is spelled entirely. How the fuck can ''in'' and ''en'' sounds both sound like ''an'', which itself also sounds like ''an''. It's like they make an extra effort to sound like cock-guzzling mongs. How's that for triggering.

wut juin is pronounced like this in france.
vocaroo.com/i/s1vA0nbEDHZI

> Sophia Chua-Rubenfeld is a highly successful twenty-one-year-old.
> Sophia is the daughter of Amy Chua, author of the best-selling book "Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother"
> Chua-Rubenfeld is, as her name suggests, Chinese-Jewish-American.
> at Harvard, where she’s studying philosophy and Sanskrit
> she pledged a sorority, Kappa Alpha Theta
> she joined R.O.T.C.
> Now she hopes to be a military prosecutor, with a focus on sexual assault.

Some people do yeah, but a lot of them say ''jouant'' too.

duolingo, lingvist and i read/review my text book for 30-60 minutes

yeah, he came to my uni and did a Q&A a couple days ago, and said that getting a Russian gf was the best way to learn russian

afterwards i had a one-on-one with the guy, talked about Russian trade relations expansion in Asia

decent guy, and a history major like me

I agree interest has to be the main factor. failed at learning french because of a lack of interest and it seemed like a chore. now learning German because of its great literature and philosophy. thinking about being able to read these text in the original motivates me a lot.

one day I will tackle french again

wump

this may be a stupid question, please forgive me, but as i am learning french, i see the word "mange" (as in eating)

is this a case of the english language borrowing this word and mutating it into the word "munch"?

does he have heterochromia?

Yes, according to wikitionary

Remember Latin is not dead, it just evolved into the Romance languages we know.
Formal Latin is a paper language only, even during the Republic time.

Are there any Norwegians here on /lang general?

wumpo

Is Esperanto a meme language to learn?
I am absolutely useless at all other languages I've tried to learn, but I hear learning Esperanto is easy and can help you learn other languages easier.

yes it's a meme

What language would you recommend a brainlet Englishman who wants to learn a new language but has trouble doing so?

Well, learning a language is a long process that can only be achieve if you have a serious and long lasting interest in the culture of the language you want to learn, because once you learnt the basis, the only way to really be fluent is through consuming media in the language you are learning. Do you already have any idea of languages that would interest you ?

Weird that you posted this as soon as I started to consider it.
I think I am going to chose it as my second actually. I cant seem to figure which one I want to I think I might aswell have a practice language, finding material wont be hard, it will make me better and more confident at learning a actual language. If I do figure out which one I want to learn I can always just stop.
This is true as fuck, but it is difficult to find one if you dont already have a rough idea imo.

Like and others have said interest is the biggest factor. Look at the people learning japanese. The practical value is pretty low for westerners to learn Japanese. Their motivation largely stems from an interest in Japanese culture, anime, martial arts, etc.

What countries do you want to visit, or admire? Which has the most beautiful women, the best literature, etc.

I would love to go it Italy or Greece, their culture and history is pretty rad

Aye, I know Esperanto has no culture, and I kn ow I would never use it outside of the Esperanto community but I just wanna learn a language to give me the confidence boost to learn other proper languages.

So you want to learn a whole language just to boost your confidence in order to actually learn a language ?
What about you just start by learning a real language right away instead of wasting your time on bullshit. If you have real confidence/motivation issues, force yourself to write at at least a few times a week, for example write how was your day in the language you are learning, and this, at regular interval. That way you will see that you are improving and when you can't find motivation you can go back to the first things you wrote and see the difference. Keeping a piece of what you used to do is the best way to see your progresses because while they are spectacular at the beginning, they are not obvious after some months in, yet they exist. Learning languages is about forgetting and re-learning, not about learning and not forgetting.

Not him but
Learning a language can take fucking ages and there are going to be periods where your not as motivated and its going to help to think "I have learnt one before" not "I am not as bad" not just this but you know its going to be easier because you have learnt that L2 already.