Still not sure if I liked it or not. do you guys like it?

still not sure if I liked it or not. do you guys like it?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B-theory_of_time
twitter.com/AnonBabble

not really

> wannabe Nolan vibe
> doesn't really explain the alien language at all
> cheap time travel gimmick
> MUH MILITARISM

yeah. great score

>The aliens are superior in every way to humans
>Can't figure out english

>> wannabe Nolan vibe
millenial redditors get out.

The beginning when they make first contact is straight up kino... Then the rest of the film is just meh.

Moron.

>hurr, if we stop using any sentence structure, we can see into the future!

The dumbest premise I have perhaps ever seen in a sci fi. I had high hopes for this film. Also, they showed helicopters firing missiles in the trailer. Fuckers lied.

it was adequate

not nearly worthy of a best pic nom, but then the quality of everything else has also degraded

>adequate
that's exactly what I thought, I wish it was a lot trippier and intense instead of jus average

neat idea, good atmosphere. i'm sick of amy adams though and jeremy renner was flat as a board.

decent flick all in all

I thought forest whitaker was awesome but not enough screen time

Smartest sci-fi movie ever advertised for mass market. I'm not a pop science quack. Quantum physics experiments are more suggestive everyday that the universe creates causal relationships from future to past events on a regular basis. That is, things that happen in the future can change the past in the same way that past events shape the future.

It's difficult to cope with because on the scale of time and space of which we are familiar, we are able to only perceive time moving in one direction. After all, we only form memories of the past, and if a future event were capable of altering the past we would simply remember a different past.

While it is true that learning another languages gives us a new way to process information and thus can change your thinking, the idea that learning a language that has no time can gift us the ability to have memories of the future like we have memories of the past is a bit extreme.

Still, the movie gave us a lesson in linguistics, logic, and a little bit of the boundaries of advanced physics- and we kinda liked it. A rare sci-fi movie that doesn't fall into sci-fi cliches and explanations, stays smart and true to itself, it deserves a bit of praise.

Just try to imagine just for a moment you could have memories of the future just tucked away in your brain that only an exhausting marathon of mental linguistic gymnastics, caffiene, stress, and lack of sleep could unlock.

a stressed college student's dream.

No because the first time I saw it I didn't understand it

Yes I'm dumb

It was advertised as being smart and I love smart sci fi so I went to see it but it was dumb. There were some okay performances I guess, and the cinematography was nice, but aside from that it fell flat. I was looking forward to seeing a language-based sci fi film, but it skipped right over the language stuff to get to the MUH BABY bullshit.

I don't know about smartest, but I mostly agree with you.

I genuinely think it flew over the head of a lot of the people who criticize it.

I'll just leave this here:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B-theory_of_time

the director literally said he took inspiration from nolan

suck it villenuevefags

>philosophy
Note how there is not a single thing to suggest it in physics.

Are you illiterate or just a retard?

>The B-theory of time has received support from the physics community.[14][15] This is likely due to its compatibility with physics and the fact that many theories such as special relativity, the ADD model, and brane cosmology, point to a theory of time similar to B-theory.[16]

In special relativity, the relativity of simultaneity shows that there's no unique present, and that each point in the universe can have a different set of events that are in its present moment.

I mean, it's Slaughterhouse Five meets pop-sci understanding of the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis. I've seen a lot more outlandish and unjustifiable movie premises in my life. Not sure why this is a line that a movie shouldn't be allowed to cross. I thought it was imaginative, even if it was also a bit implausible, so it got a pass for me.

Everything was good except the fucking time travel bullshit. WHY THE FUCK do sci fi movies ruin their set up with a fucking TIME TRAVEL meme?

>still not sure if I liked it or not.

>Irreducibility of tense

Huh. That's a pretty interesting part.

Perfect example of someone who didn't get it.

There was no "time travel," the alien language made the character perceive time as simultaneous. There is a big difference, and if you don't get it you're the problem.

Read the fucking short story. And see what they changed.
What was smart about the short story is not in the film. Whoever thinks this movie is smart is not.

>look how much smarter and better than you i am, i read a short story

>if you don't get it you're the problem.
meme phrase. go back to plebbit

The whole point is to NOT learn our language and communicate to us with it.

Did you not understand that us learning their language was the whole purpose of their visit so we could gain their abilities?

Average film, slow, too depressing, not smart enough, good acting and direction

Forgettable/10

But only one person ended up learning their language and then she had to teach everyone else how to do it. Using english. Why not cut out the middleman?

They could just say it
>yo here have a dictionary of this weird language

Good execution but poor plot.

My spanish teach was only able to teach me because she knew english as well you faggot

itll be forgotten and years down the road people will watch it again and their friends will be like, "oh that was pretty good im suprised i never heard of it."

Yes, I liked it. It was pretty interesting. Good plot, pacing and acting, nice visuals and fx. Overall 7.5/10

user, you're so right

Arrival is part of a recent series of movies I'd describe as Dunning-Kruger Sci-Fi. Along with Interstellar and to a somewhat lesser extent The Martian, they perfectly play to the crowd that fancies themselves as (and, to be fair, may truly be) smarter than average audiences but are not as smart as genuinely "smart people." They are movies designed to make the audience feel smart by introducing complicated and heady concepts, and then holding the viewer's hand the entire way through until there is next to nothing to be left up to interpretation.

If you didn't already know the twist in Arrival by the time she was in the milky section of the ship with the aliens AT LEAST, you perfectly fit the audience I am talking about.

There is no reward for being smart while viewing these movies because everything is eventually spelled out in big fridge magnet letters. Any clever idea is made so transparent that even the most simple in the audience will get it. It also removes any reward for rewatching or trying to figure out what you just saw.

Granted, there is a difference between Arrival and Interstellar. I think where Interstellar was pretending to have a brain it actually didn't have, Arrival has a brain that it is refusing to let the audience use.

Completely disappointing movie.

Also
>so that just happened

It was okay

It was trash. The new Blade Runner will be trash. This is the future you chose.

>Dunning-Kruger is a part of a recent series of ideas that I'd describe as Dunning-Kruger ideas. They perfectly play to the crowd that fancies themselves as (and, to be fair, may truly be) smarter than average but are not as smart as genuinely "smart people."

Give an example of some sci-fi movies for genuinely "smart people."

Studying and getting a job in a high tech field. It's not a movie though, smart people do stuff in real life instead of resorting to sci-fi escapism

>X is bullshit, because it is a prime example of X

nope
time travel exploit=shitty movie

There's no time travel in Arrival my dude, only her perception of time changes where she "remembers" the future just like we remember our past in the form of memories.

She never leaves the current narrative.

They could've spoken english and told us how to speak time bending language.
This movie is garbage, and it was worse because I had expectations coming into it because of Sup Forums and RLM.

time shenaningans=shitty movie

not an argument

i guess smart people write screeds about how people who enjoy movies aren't as smart as they think they are

>she sees one scene from the future that happens to be what she needs to see to save the planet

how?

>time travel

see

Millenial and redditor are not insults. They're just descriptive terms. By looking down on millenials you've exposed yourself as aging old (and therefore sagging and ugly) and by hating normal people who visit reddit you're identifying with abnormals. You're basically insulting yourself twice.

yes. it's a statement of fact.

moron (You)

Was good but not better than Interstellar

> wannabe Nolan vibe
This

>Was good but not better than Interstellar
Interstellar was not even good though

>They could've spoken english
I don't think those aliens had the same vocal chords we do, user. But surely when we make first contact we'll ask them to speak English.

They're both good movies, but Arrival is better than Interstellar.

>Lets not communicate with my team members I plan to take off my suit, exposing myself and their ship to countless biological risks because it's OK I'm the main character and everything will work out great for me

>large-scale colonization
>only a dozen people

why are y'all expecting logic or good writing from this movie?

The language thing was stupid. I was expecting a scifi film, but it turned out to be way too fantasy-like.

Makes more sense than in Prometheus anyways.

pls lord let this be bait

>

was that my post about large-scale colonization? sorry epic fail on my part posted on wrong thread.

I was finding it great until the "language that makes you travel time" shit. That "the call that saved the world" bit was even worse.

So, now I'll have to see that shitty pasta everyday?

Still confused....

SO Hawkeye is dating Lois who actually did learn from octopus brainiac to perceive time in future past and present?

JL is going to be good.

I don't think that qualifies as pasta.

Cinematography is great, but it's a short story stretched out into a feature film - and it shows. The ending completely invalidates any conflict or drama that could have been had, and they make various comments belittling Linguistic issues and popular inaccuracies... only to immediately fall right into them.

> Haha, the kangaroo thing right? How could they be that stupid as to misinterpret something.
> Oh shit, they made two different symbols - THOSE MUST BE NAMES.

I heard people saying this represented a realistic view of a linguistic approach and I can't understand where these people are coming from. It's bad when I completely agree with their bosses when they go "Guys, just teach them enough so we can ask important questions like 'Are they hostile?'". Even more infuriating when they're trying to convey what a Human is and proceed to do bewildering shit like strip clothes, assign names, and point out individual differences. I'm amazed they could have deciphered anything at all.

Don't many scientists and engineers derive a lot of inspiration from escapist science fiction concepts?

>people taking the sci-fi stuff way too seriously

It's a philosophical movie at it's core, exploring the concept of eternal recurrence.

It was okay.

>it's a sci-fi movie but ignore the sci-fi

girl detected
this is what happens when horror are written for teengirls (like twilight) and sci-fi are written for teengays (like hunger games)