Just saw this at an arthouse place. This is genuinely one of the best films I've seen all year...

Just saw this at an arthouse place. This is genuinely one of the best films I've seen all year, maybe in the last several years. It's just devastatingly effective. The trailer made me assume it was a tryhard edgy movie but y'know what, after watching it I've come to realize a lot of the movies I'd previously regarded as brutal don't actually know what brutality is. People go on about how hardcore and brutal Fury and Hacksaw Ridge were but the violence in them was egregious to the point of lacking impact after a while, this movie knows less is more, it knows subtlety is effective and it shows.

Fuck, I can't get over how much I enjoyed it. Any other anons see it yet?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Xc9l7pygQRo
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>People go on about how hardcore and brutal Fury and Hacksaw Ridge were
no one does that

Yeah they do, they kept harping on about that retarded first battle scene in Hacksaw and muh human corpse shield.

i dont know what kind of people youre talking about. maybe underage fags who havent even seen saving private ryan would say these movies are brutal.

How much of it is a metaphor for menstruation? 90%?

Here bro, the people here, I was in a few threads for both and the webm for that scene was just farming (You)'s.

Whatever, what did you think of the movie?

It's not feminist propaganda, but there is a muslim white woman sex scene, so if that triggers you better stay away.

ive only seen the trailer, looks like something eli roth would make. It looks fine but other than every scene having something disgusting in it i cant tell what the point is.

I don't give a shit about that, I was just worried about the former. Ty.

This movie is the epitome of try hard, and violence for the sake of violence.

The gore is used in place of actual substance. This movie is another Babadook. A shot film unduly praised for political reasons (female director).

There's really nothing good or entertaining about it.

Very few of the scenes actually have something disgusting in it. Like I said, it knows less is more and it doles out the gore very sparingly. It's a coming-of-age story but with a horror and psychological thriller bent.

The ending is disappointing though. I mean it was logical but the execution was awkward. Also, Ducournau is a q.t.

The actor's an arab but the character is a French homosexual.

Epitome of tryhard? You don't know what the fuck you're talking about. A Serbian film with the son rape and Antichrist with the clit scissoring were tryhard, Hacksaw Ridge had more of a tryhard moment with using the human corpse as a shield. Where was the violence for the sake of violence in this? In the entire fucking movie there were I think 3 or 4 violent scenes. How is that tryhard?

Again, did you even watch the film? The gore was used literally only 3 or 4 times in a 1 and half hour movie.

>A shot film unduly praised for political reasons (female director).
Oh you're fucking deluded Sup Forumstard

Are you sure you don't mean Garance ? Because she is 100% qt. I think I may have a new waifu.

>The ending is disappointing though. I mean it was logical but the execution was awkward
What do you mean, can you expand on this?

any torrents?

I doubt one will be out for a while. It only came out a week ago here.

Nope. Just google "Julia Ducournau".
The film is ALSO about determinism and tribal instincts. Her father revealing all of a sudden his scars seemed poorly written to me. It was a good idea but I feel like it should have been revealed by her mother. Also, I find it hard to believe that she's never seen her father without a shirt.

I think they only did that for the people too stupid to notice his lip and make the connection so they needed to make it an obvious thing. If it was the mother they wouldn't have had that cool subtle moment. Second point stands though.

Saw it in an empty theatre. I loved it. It definitely made me a little squemish.

I've literally never gagged watching a movie before, and this movie still didn't make me gag because I'm not a little bitch, but it came the closest during the hair scene. It's weird, all the gore paled in comparison to just that hair.

bump

Why the fuck would I watch this? Pretend genre-movie feminist art movies are the worst kind of trash.

Those movies' gore were more natural and fit with the movie. Raw is just raw tryhard

>Any other anons see it yet?

nope. and I don't want to echo other anons in the thread but it does look try hard shock value bullshit like Martyrs etc.

anyone care to provide a summary ?

They don't. People are aware that Hacksaw Ridge was *supposed* to be brutal, but that doesn't mean they think it achieved that. In fact, even from people who like the film the main criticism is that the violence is way over the top and cartoonish. Naturally, fanboys don't count.

>Hacksaw Ridge was *supposed* to be brutal

yes you dipshit, it's brutal the way war is brutal not in an edgy 17 yos fantasy.

It's far more a coming of age movie than a horror one.
There's been a lot of bad marketting regarding that movie, with people puking at Sundance and shit like that. According to interviews the cast & crew feel that this doesn't represent the movie at all.

I don't think that it was gore, but rather a good use of gore / horror. Worth a watch, like a good mix of Respire and Suspiria.

>it's brutal the way war is brutal
ah yes, shooting a bar rifle with one hand while holding a human shield and killing every single target, definitely not an edgy 17 year olds fantasy

I don't understand your criticism, the gore in those movies fit because the movies were about fucked up things but the gore doesn't fit raw even though it's about cannibalism? Keep in mind there's only one scene of intense gore. I just don't understand why you think violence has no place at a movie set in a medical school.

It was that particular scene that made me squemish. The reason it's so uncomfortable because hurting your private parts is something you do not really want to think about.

Watch the original Martyrs next

The trailer makes it look like that but there's honestly only about 4 instances of violence in the movie. Two of which arent even very violent. Like the film is shocking but it doesn't revolve around the shocks. I don't want to spoil it because it's cool but the grossest part of the movie just involves hair, that really doesn't come across as try hard to me.

Oh nah I'm talking about the other hair scene. In the bathroom. Don't spoil it for others!

War is meant to be brutal, saving Private Ryans beach landing scene wasnt try hard and managed to convey that really really well. Hacksaw was retarded because it made the action overblown. I felt like they made it into a videogame sequence, I actually felt like it was offensive in how it depicted war, like it was demeaning the severity by making it CoD like.

I don't get why Hacksaw Ridge felt the need to depict violence in such an overblown way. In fact, I don't get why Desmond Doss isn't the focus during the battle sequences. We do not need to see a soldier grabbing a corpse and using it as a human shield.

Martyrs, Serbian film, anti Christ, all those shock horror movies are actually shit. All have like 50% on RT. Don't lump this movie along with them. It's got a 91%, it's actually just a really solid film.

>why overblown

youtube.com/watch?v=Xc9l7pygQRo

Good grief, you quote RT ratings as a metric of quality, I ain't seeing this flick nigga.

SJW garbage, I wipe my ass with your face, you perform fellatio for a living

assman.

lmao that human corpse shield was fucking hilarious in Hacksaw Ridge. So was that zombie.

That RT rating doesn't mean it's a 9/10 movie, only that 91% of people that saw it would rate it favorably. Your more likely than not going to be included in that 91% figure.

Human corpse shield was a totally legitimate battlefield occurence, though. People seem to have difficulty with the realities of war. This is like people objecting to his realistic depiction of the physical effects of crucifixion all over again. Gibson does use violence in his movies, but however detailed it gets, it's never hyperbolic.

>muslim white woman sex scene

Yeah, fuck off then, cuckfriend.

You just quoted it as a metric of quality you fucking dipshit. That's literally how you used it. How many professional reviewers are going to thumbs-down a feminist pseudo-genre movie?

Reading the synopsis; it starts with a "hazing ritual".

Isn't this like an american thing ? do we even do this thing in europe ?

Read a review of it in a newspaper here, said it could be interested as a parallel to anorexia (eating disorders), good girl syndrome and sexual awakening. Not for me.

I thought you took objection with what the metric meant.

>Feminist pseudo genre
Okay you can stop using words that don't apply to this movie now

No, we don't, but the people it's for are too asocial to know that.

I objected to how you were using it, as if it indicated a worthwhile movie.

>Okay you can stop

Wanna know how I know you're lying?

Quelle surprise, it's about women's endless desire to play the fucking martyr over normal life.

Not denying human corpse shield doesn't happen, but the way Gibson portrays it looks like it came out off a videogame. It made me realise that Gibson is so obssesed with the violence that he reduced the part of the movie that would've made it a standout among war movies a 10 minute montage.

>but the people it's for are too asocial to know that.

You're retarded. Any movie that starts with a hazing ritual is lost on me.

Just read the story and some reviews and it really seems like the definition of try hard.

No idea bro. The partying at the vet school seemed unrealistic to me but hey what do I know about French vetinary schools, maybe they get up to wild shit.

Man that dude misinterpreted the fuck out of it. They don't throw it back up. Also what's good girl syndrome? The sexual Awakening part is accurate but it sorta take a backseat

It looks like a videogame because A: that's the only other place you'd see it, and B: it's shot on digital, and everything looks like crass bullshit on digital. The medium's dead, dude, but that's not Gibson's fault.

I was agreeing with you, the point is that asocial people think Europeans might do hazing because they would never be in a position to find out anything different. For all they know, people with social lives are like the Justice League or some shit behind closed doors.

The "good girl syndrome" is what feminists call normal women's not wanting to act like sociopathic bitches for no reason.

Of course it does, it might not indicate greatness but it does indicate a good movie. If 90% of people like a movie, not reviewers, regular people, you are very likely to also like that movie because you're a person, you aren't a special snowflake.

Explain to me how its feminist, this'll be good.

Hazing is forbidden in France but it still happens in Belgium.
I didn't find the partying unrealistic desu.

They don't. People who study the sciences in a serious way have no time for that shit.

So it's a European movie that hitches itself to the SJW wagon for critical upvotes. Not gonna watch it.

Who's the cute boy in that pic? He's handsome.

No, it genuinely and clearly doesn't. 90% of people have no taste in cinema.

>this'll be good

Wanna know how I know you're a tumblrina who should have been raped harder by her dad?

>discussing movie on Sup Forums
youre doing it wrong especially a movie with woman director and woman protagonist

kek

I liked that there were only two instructors in the whole building and the school was just a hedonistic wonderland for the first week of class. It definitely wasn't realistic but it was better than watching the students try to balance partying with academics. If you're trying to rationalize it, then maybe they leave them alone because they took part in the tradition when they were younger and want to keep it going. Her parents clearly knew what was going to be happening.

It's a French movie, the French people watching it probably know whether that happens there for real or not

>They don't. People who study the sciences in a serious way have no time for that shit.
How detached from reality are you?

18-20 year olds fresh into college go partying, in med school, vet school whatever. Are you nuts?

>I didn't find the partying unrealistic desu.
I wish my uni partying was like that

>everything sucks but Mel Gibson

It was not a good movie be I don't know why it's still being talked about in this thread.

One month until we get a good rip of Raw. I can't wait to watch it again. My theater only had it for a week.

>They don't. People who study the sciences in a serious way have no time for that shit.

Have you ever met a european science student? If they're not a nerd they'll party hard.

A lot of specialized schools have a first week dedicated to integrating students with almost zero classes.

It happens in Belgium since hazing is forbidden in France and isn't there.

It's aimed at the international market, actual French people have little time for feminism.

>90% of people have no taste in cinema.
Man you really couldn't fedora any harder if you tried snowflake

We're talking about a hazing ritual you stupid piece of shit! Those things only happen in America.

>Hates it when people put political bullshit in their movies/show
>Views a movie through a political perspective where the movie has none

Fucking hypocrites

The trailer made it look good, I thought. What it ended up being was better but I still think it has a great trailer. I was immediately interested after seeing it.

Yeah, you liked it because you only got as far as community college.

>not a nerd

By definition, that's what they all are. Hazing rituals do not happen, stop moving the goalposts, pleb.

Wanna know I know you need your clitoris torn out?

Nah, it was made solely for political reasons.

What. Okay I'm going to list a number of movies with high ratings and you tell me how often those ratings match you enjoying a movie.

John wick
Toy story
Old boy
End of watch
Godfather
Shawshank redemption
Gladiator
Lord of the rings

I'm kinda hoping you say you hated them all.

Prove it

Wrong place to shill feminist shit.

Was the sheet being taken off the dog her disassociating and going to feed or did it have another meaning?

I didn't find the whole waxing scene with her sister that intense. Not sure how people were passing out or throwing up. I was expecting something much worse. The scene where Justine sees the video of herself was by far the most disturbing part to me. For some reason that's one of the scarier moments that I've seen in pretty much any horror movie. I don't watch a lot of them though.

I don't understand what you're hoping to prove by this. Those films are all clearly valueless.

Nah dude I'm really smart

Samefag, nobody's going to watch your lesbian gore movie, stop posting.

As might have been expected, individuality is unfathomable to an SJW shill.

Oh shit I didn't even consider that. I don't actually understand that scene. Also the scene where she's chewing her hair is list on me, got an explanation?

>I went to see the menstruation symbolism movie because I'm smart

Sure thing faggot.

Haha no worries bro, don't think about.

No they don't. I was hazed in college and I live in Europe

Why are you answering yourself, bitch? That scene is symbolic of my cock deep in your mom's ass.

No you weren't, no you don't, stop shilling the dyke movie.

>lesbian
picked up

No worries, shill.

Is this shit just trolls trolling trolls?

Not hot lesbians, actual lesbians. It's aimed at lesbians. It's about how awful it is to have to wash your cunt and not trail blood around your home. Also there's some anti-meat eating propaganda, see if you can spot it lol

The movie is French producers exploiting stupid American girls.

>liking genre flicks
even pic related laughes at your shitty and childish taste

Movie was bretty gud. Would recommend