Find a flaw

Find a flaw

Other urls found in this thread:

moviemistakes.com/film1114/factual
youtube.com/watch?v=l4FeyONCtfc
m.youtube.com/watch?v=LyArWbn6NM4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I think it would have done better with a different, more realistic, premise

In my opinion the only glaring flaws in this movie are when Spielberg makes things overly sentimental. Some of the scenes that take place in the USA feel like they belong in a cheesy movie. This is, perhaps intentionally, quite jarring compared with the visceral violence and tone of the rest of the battle scenes.

There are just a few lines and scenes here and there that are kind of cheesy like when Tom Hanks says that line about the p-51 (angels on our shoulders or something)

its still an excellent movie though.

Too many fucking named actors.

It depicts Americans as heroes in WW2

too many white men

The nazi didn´t kill the "coward" soldier when the faced each other in the hall, why? I don´t know; it doesn´t makes sense to me

moviemistakes.com/film1114/factual

nazis lost

Tom Hanks

>he makes serious sounding comments on Sup Forums in order to get an anonymous fickwits to acknowledge his semi intellectual opinion

>totally random jewish grave

spielberg was pushing too hard

Remove the cemetery intro and outro.

They add pretty much nothing of value, and it's illogical how it fades from Old Ryan's face and flashes back to depict Miller's experiences that Ryan wasn't there for.

It would be a stronger movie if it was set entirely in 1944, no flashbacks.

The opening scene writes cheques its butt can't cash.

Hanks was pretty much the only a-lister at the time.

Nigger they weren't named when it came out. Damon was JUST starting to become a star, Vin Diesel was a literal who

No Sgt. Rock.

Apollo 13 had a lot of those overly cheesy lines too, the kind where Hanks is sort of halfway between talking to the actors and the audience. They're his trademark.

This is actually my favorite movie of all time and ive seen it more times than i can count. There is only one thing that bothers me and that is the part in the final battle where they are running back to the alamo and bullets hit at their feet like a generic action movie. Spielberg went for realism but that part fell short

Yea okay fuck me for contributing to a film discussion on the Television and Film board. I apologize that my big words made you feel intellectually inferior.

The old man in this scene is not Matt Damons character, as is often mistaken. The story is actually being told from the perspective of another survivor from the Battle of Ramelle, Private Reiben. The actual story starts at D-Day, a battle which Private Ryan (Damon) didn't fight in. The story isn't about Ryan, it's about Reiben remembering Captain Miller, he was the only one that survived that served the entire war with him.

the enitre plot after the Normandy invasion was over was made up

Mediocre pacing, hamfisted philosophical questions about the theme of the film (one scene "yeah, if we can save one kid it's worth it", next scene "none of this is worth one man"), and exposition and character monologues were garbage. Especially the one in the church with Ribisi's character talking about his mother, the film might as well just put up subtitles labeled "this character will die in the next combat scene!" And the pottery of the one Nazi they spare coming back to be the vanguard of the enemy in the final battle, so fucking contrived and artificial.

Now, the battle scenes were all solid. The gritty, raw realism was especially new to WW2 films, and the emotions the battle depictions convey: tension, adrenaline, chaos and fear, and loss, are all geniune. But when the film tried to be reflective or emotional, it comes across as contrived or pretentious, or hamfisted (I guess my favorite term for this film).

It wasn't an unrealistic premise at all, though. There was an actual family of brothers who all got massacred besides the last one who was a 101st paratrooper pulled from active service and off the line. Sure some nitpicky aspects were unrealistic, like a ranger company getting essentially disbanded with the remainders forming a special detail, but in general the film wasn't unrealistic in it's depictions or scenarios.

Tom Hanks and maybe Tom Sizemore were the only real big stars. Sure there were a few cameos, but most of the main squad were (and still are) literal whos back then.

This your first day?

But doesn't it feel more out of place in SPR than it does in Apollo 13? Its just that whenever I watch SPR these lines stand out like a sore thumb. I just feel this film is such a great accomplishment but this is one of its flaws.

Yeah dude wtf was up with that random Walter White cameo? Yeah science bitch lmao

Reminder that Steamboat Willie wasn't the one who shanked Mellish. While they were both in the final battle, they were two totally different Nazis

no diversity.
a white man's war

Then why did they fade/morph from Matt Damon's face to old "Reiben" at the end?

lol, kid, it was a transition shot of Matt Damon aging. wtf are you on.

>destroying a tank with a .45 cal pistol
Completely unrealistic.

An admittedly poor choice by Spielberg

Yeah, the "angels on our shoulders" line and the speech when he finally reveals what he did before the war were both really forced. Not enough to detract from the movie but they still make me cringe a bit.

>tell me I was a good man Oscar baiting BS
>Germans fought like the Keystone Cops, particularly in the last battle, with an SS group no less.
>crap pacing
>you can tell they used mannequins in the 20mm scene
>Hanks using a submachine gun to kill the Tiger's driver by sticking it in the viewport
Ect.

I agree that the Ribisi character's monologue wasnt exactly a strong moment but Tom Hanks's talk with Tom Sizemore in the church where they pretty much discuss the theme of the movie is pretty good. The whole idea of duty and sacrifice and that you hope in the end the math will work out and you will have saved more people than you lost. There are a lot of little moments in the movie that I like, like when Reiben gives that look to Ryan right before the final battle starts.

The whole thing with the spared german coming back to kill him I don't get. I have discussed this with friends many a times. I don't really understand what point they were trying to make. Was it that Tom hanks was a shitty captain? That he should kill anyone that surrenders? That he is stupid? It felt like something out of a action movie.

I just think they had plenty of good emotional and reflective material there but they went too far into tacky and sappy territory.

>that
>even anywhere near an intellectual opinion

Jesus Christ, it was a few lines that amount to saying 'the movie was a bit cheesy'.

Can you only communicate in memes?

Threadly reminder SPR dehumanizes the German people.

youtube.com/watch?v=l4FeyONCtfc

Threadly reminder the video is made by a butthurt krautboo that makes wild leaps in logic while ignoring contradicting evidence within the film.

probably wanted to kill him, but was half disgusted with his cowardice and half returning the favor from earlier when he saved him from being executed.

American detected.

the beach scene was kino, plus it introduced us to Ryans story, when you saw his dead brother floating in the water. We know that at least one of Ryans brothers died on the beach.

>no argument
American detected

stop shilling your shit video and go back to stormfront

this
the matt damon improvised story bit was so fucking strange

It was pretty ridiculous to have him blow up a tank by shooting down the barrel with a handgun.

Outside that outlandish part it was good, though.

>Spielberg makes things overly sentimental

This is Spielberg's biggest flaw in his films, and what caused Hook and his short in the Twilight Zone movie to get such big negative reactions.

He seems at home depicting violence in a very shocking but still palatable way, but his sentimental moments just make me want to puke.

The German soldier they let go comes back to push a bayonet into the Jew. So fucking kino.

Tbh I was bothered when the squad makes it to the glider airborne troops that are wounded. The Jewish guy is holding a star of David in front of German POWs saying 'jew' in german. I question if it was common knowledge that Jews were prosecuted in the U.S. armed forces at the time.

>Steven Spielberg's 1998 exercise in Oscar-mongering is a compilation of effects and impressions from all the war movies he's ever seen, decked out with precise instructions about what to think in Robert Rodat's script and how to feel in John Williams's hokey music. There's something here for everybody—war is hell (Sam Fuller), war is father figures (Oliver Stone), war is absurd (David Lean, Stanley Kubrick), war is necessary (John Ford), war is surreal (Francis Coppola), war is exciting (Robert Aldrich), war is upsetting (all of the preceding and Lewis Milestone), war is uplifting (ditto)—and nothing that suggests an independent vision, unless you count seeing more limbs blown off than usual (the visceral opening sequence, showing Omaha Beach on June 6, 1944) or someone getting graphically shot underwater. The story is about a squad trying to find and send home a private whose three older brothers have already been killed in World War II; it's a mission ordered by General George C. Marshall (backed by the authority of Abraham Lincoln, who's backed in turn by Spielberg) and executed by Tom Hanks, a captain named John instead of Joe. It has a few pretty good action moments (including a climax straight out of the Indiana Jones trilogy), a lot of spilled guts, a few moments of drama that don't seem phony or hollow, some fairly strained period ambience, and a bit of sentimental morphing that reminds me of Forrest Gump; it also lasts the better part of three hours.

Ted Danson was in this movie. People forget that.

>The German soldier they let go comes back to push a bayonet into the Jew.
Those are completely different people user. Steamboat Willie only shows up to shoot what's his name and Captain Miller at the end.

Paul Giamatti and Vin Diesel too.

>totally random Jewish grave

Ummmmm

>I question if it was common knowledge that Jews were prosecuted in the U.S. armed forces at the time.

You think people didn't know about the Nazis fucking with the Jews; taking all their shit, putting them in ghettos and using them as a slave workforce?

Its not the same nazi or do all nazis look thesame to you?

The movie is pretty great Eurokeks will never get ww2 kino as good I guess you giot that Nolan pg13 Dunkirk movie to look forward to ;)

The jews planted those there user.

>The Jewish guy is holding a star of David in front of German POWs saying 'jew' in german. I question if it was common knowledge that Jews were prosecuted in the U.S. armed forces at the time

Pretty much everyone knew that the Jews were being persecuted, among others, which is why Jesse Owens made the comment he did back when he won the Gold; "Hitler didn't snub me; it was our president who snubbed me. The president didn't even send me a telegram"

He was basically saying that America was more intolerant than Nazi Germany.

It's fine. We have plenty of WWI kino that easily surpasses it.

It was pretty fucking stupid how the snipers rifle jammed and blew the whole fuckin church tower up too

m.youtube.com/watch?v=LyArWbn6NM4

>desensitizes us to battlefield suffering
>promotes war crimes

There are many WW2 vets that swear by the film for giving an honest portrayal of war. Just because it shows flawed characters does not mean it promotes war crimes, you fucking idiot.

I guess Goodfellas promotes mafia culture too?

Honest question about the sniper-dude: Why did he use his left hand to work the bolt? Wouldn't it be way more effective for him to just learn how to do it with his right, thus freeing up his left hand to always be on the trigger? In the cases where he was resting the rifle on something, thus not needing to support it with his arm, of course. Was there a point to showing off how he's left-handed that I missed?

Maybe I'm just slightly more ambidextrous than the average person or something.

>why did he use his left hand to work the bolt

It's his thing.

The Peleliu beach landing in The Pacific is better than the Omaha landing in SPR. Fite me.

Using the right hand would not have improved firing speed much, if at all. It feels a lot more natural to use the firing hand to work the bolt.
>Was there a point to showing off how he's left-handed that I missed?
Some people shoot left handed, that's all there is to it.