Why are so many Stephen Kjng movies so awful?

Why are so many Stephen Kjng movies so awful?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ggWS4tTzs60
youtube.com/watch?v=hZ67H9JHAHM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Shit source material

His writing style doesn't translate well into film. The Dark Tower is going to be a total clusterfuck, if it ever comes out that is

This. Stephen King is a hack.

Dunno mate.

But also this.

Get some taste pleb

They're usualy made by producers who haven't read the book, want to make their own movie just with the book title as an easy sell, and probably do mountains of coke.

Look at the new Mist TV series. No monsters at all, its just human drama with a fog machine. But the King name will give it a small push where on its own it'd have died at concept.

I think SK is a terrible author honestly, though he does have some OK-ish material. I think his best works were his short stories, but his sexual deviancy often ruins even those. Okay Mr. King, we get it, you like imagining Nazi scientists electric dildo-fuck young Jewish concentration camp girls. Still, The Jaunt is pretty decent. I think they could make a good film out of it by having the father telling the story of how the Jaunt process came to be in sort of flash-back form. I always thought the idea of a cheating wife being stuck in limbo eternally with no way out was a nice touch.

Thoughts on Sleepwalkers?

Hearts in Atlantis and The Mist are good adaptations.
It movie was ok.

What reads well doesn't look good on screen.

Otherwise anons above blaming producers fucking them up and poor source material are also right.

Samefriend: some of the poor source material is about aging. Most famous king novels are from 70s. They were old even in your parents time.

Because his style is all thoughts and tangents. When you take that away his plotting tends to be just abysmal to mediocre. His main strength is his characters, but what makes them great is generally what I said first, thoughts and tangents. He's really good at using those tools to make his characters feel alive.

Agree, and if they add their thoughts in an adaptation the movie would have narration every 10 seconds; it will seem force; by the way, King can make up a convincent serious sentence out of a stupid situation, for example, he may make you feel serious about a teenage girl scream like a goat in the classroom, but if you try to translate that into a movie it would be ridiculous and cringy

like seinfeld, his concepts have been copied just a tiny bit

the old material is old, it feels derivative

but to be honest, I read the bachman books some time ago, and they felt pretty bad back then also, he was just an edgy guy at one time, people took him seriously because there wasn't a better option

It's worth it for the ones that are good, of which there are like 15. That's a pretty good track record for a single author. For every three adaptations that are turds, you might get one that's kino like Stand By Me, The Green Mile, or Creepshow.

Stephen King is awful, that's why.
t. /lit/

So instead of shitty horror you might get mawkish drive? He's bad.

Stephen King is the George Lucas of literature. Even more so after he got hit by a truck.

>people hating on King like he's trying to be one of the 'great american authors' or something

He isn't writing deep literature and he knows it. You read King because you want to switch your brain off and get lost in a story.

It's like saying Die Hard is crap because it isn't The Seventh Seal. We get it, you read 'real' literature, good for you. But trashy fiction is great in its own right.

This. King is the Kojima of literature. Good ideas, shit execution in every way. Even people whose quality dropped off horribly like Clive Barker made better books.

This.

Misery the book and Misery the fim are personal favorites of mine.
Also check out the Maximum Overdrive trailer to see King being a real life coked out lunatic

I unironically enjoy Maximum Overdrive.

But that movie (MO) is shit

some just have difficulty translating into film to the point where its sorta amazing the original IT miniseries and The Stand are as good as they are.
Another prime example is Silver Bullet which some how ended up being one of the better werewolf movies out there.

Lot of it boils down to those involved barely reading half a wiki page about said book then doing a movie from it.

Of course you've got SK orignal movies not based off of any book like Maximum Overdrive ( created while in a full on cocaine bender) and Storm of the Century that are good as well

>Of course you've got SK orignal movies not based off of any book like Maximum Overdrive
Pretty sure that's based on the short story "Trucks."

oh yeah I'd forgotten about that short story

His books hit a genre but the truth is, they're pretty shit.
It's the reason he has no new material, because the jig is up

Really shitty late night B flick

Stand by me is ok

This is not uncommon.
Everybody I know loves that movie.
Even me... fuck the critics

between the soudtrack, all the likeable charachters being likeable and the boss being the hated asshole that he is and a transfer truck with the face of the green goblin, its not hard to understand why is so liked

don't forget the REE REE REE REE AC/DC soundtrack.

"Fuck the people who really know about movies", It´s like saying "Fuck the doctors, I´ll figure out what my disease is"; pleb.

What else do you expect from the source material whose author you're trained to read by reading the books of the dullest franchise in the history of movie franchises? Seriously each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody?just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

a-at least the books were good though

"No!" The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

If you can't figure out when to say fuck the critics then you're the pleb, pleb.

I know when, when there are pseudo critics in Sup Forums, like you, soy I can say it now: "Fuck you, pseudo critic"

>Shining Happens
>sets the highest bar possible for SK adaptations
>directors psyche themselves out trying to match Kubrick
>get in over their heads and make a huge pile of shit instead of making a /comfy/ horror movie

wrong
it's because his ideas translate well to film
Shawshank, Stand by Me and The Green Mile are all decent films, and having read the first two they're reasonably enjoyable books (I'm not saying good, they're good in a pulpy kind of way)
The problem is the industry, once a few Stephen King books make for decent films, then they all start making the assumption that they'll be really good movies and making them is a matter of lazily shooting stuff close to the source material

Ironically King didn´t like Kubrick´s vision of "The Shining"; I guess it´s hard to admit that an adaptation was better than your source material

youtube.com/watch?v=ggWS4tTzs60

>wesley "cucklord" crusher and ASCENSION MILLENNIUM in the same movie
shit never had a chance

>IT miniseries and The Stand are as good as they are.
The Stand is the worst mini series ever made

>comparing fucking critics to doctors
lmao I feel sorry for you

King famously grants anyone the rights to produce works based off his writing, often for trivially low amounts. He's done it a number of times for college kids etc, with no vetting of quality.

If you bother to ask him to let you, he'll let you use his IP, and that's an awfully low bar to set for the sea of shitty directors out there.

>Compare a pleb like you with someone who try to cure his disease without knowing anything about medicine

Seems legit

>ASCENSION MILLENNIUM
youtube.com/watch?v=hZ67H9JHAHM

Storm of the century is comfy as fuck though

>bump into Stephen King outside a Red Sox game
>tell him how much I like his work
>we get to talking about Duma Key and how it was one of his better more recent books
>he offers to sell me the movie rights for a polish sausage and a miller lite
Pretty surreal

He literally scams dumb whores into fucking him so they can get a "shot" at show business

This is going to fuck him in the ass later in life when they claim he raped them

you took him up on it, right?

He wanted onions AND peppers thrown in foe free so I had to shut down negotiations there. I do unironically think it would make a great movie.

what a fucking asshole

>when you're lauded as spooky horror writer but all the best movies made with your material is all the non horror stories you wrote

surreal feels

with the right amount of time and enough of a budget for a good werewolf I think a relatively close Cycle of the Werewolf miniseries could be made.

>shoot episode 1 in January and have it 10 to 15 minutes long maybe 20 with enough padding of stuff leading up to Arnie getting stuck out in that shed in the middle of the blizzard.
>Episode 2 in Feb
>Episode 3 in March
>rinse and repeat until episode 12 in December

Maybe change things up just slightly to not have every full moon on a holiday (or not just to keep it with the tone of the book)

Only definite thing is the month that the Sheriff is killed in while sitting in his truck it has to be a Ford when we first see it and a dodge at the very end

Nightmare mode episode for filming would be the Rev dreams the whole town becomes werewolves episode

>im a faggot who can't form my own opinions

another thing would be getting the right someones to play Reverend Lowe, Marty, and Uncle Al/Red.

Too deciding between setting it in modern day (easier) or a set piece in the 70's

Maybe try to get Everett McGill and Gary Busey one off appearances

Not really, actually:

>I´m a medicine student