Do you think this film will be any good? Or will it just be Pearl Harbour 2.0?

Do you think this film will be any good? Or will it just be Pearl Harbour 2.0?

Other urls found in this thread:

darkhorizons.com/nolans-dunkirk-set-across-three-perspectives/
youtube.com/watch?v=AXaaybiRiYY
youtube.com/watch?v=xFa81ROLvIw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

+Nolan knows how to film a movie
+Probably good music

-Nolan is a terrible choice for feely patriotic movies
-World War II is overdone
-Allies were no better than Nazis yet we'll have them glorified once again

I'm not gonna watch it. Probably gonna be mediocre as shit and cringe inducing.

You forgot
-Nolan film so cheesy dialogue
-Nolan film do plenty of extras ducking around in the background and goofy fight scenes

You forgot it's fucking PG-13
What a garbage fucking decision. How can you have a war movie and not make it R rated? Almost as bad as pg-13 horror movies

I dont think it will be great,i wish it were tho.the french pretty much sacrificed themselfes so the bongs could escape.

>Allies were no better than Nazis yet we'll have them glorified once again

Nazis were certainly worse than the brits no matter how you want to put it

This.

Japs were worse than both.

Good in what sense?

With critics and reddit? Yes. Nolan usually doesn't go wrong there.

Will Sup Forums like it? Hell no.

It's not gonna be a conventional war movie, it's gonna be a thriller, and I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

I respectfuly disagree. And I'm not a nazi.

This.

Very True. People don't like to admit it these days because Japan is such an important economic region but they committed some of the worst atrocities of the war. All of their military were guilty of this too, from the footsoldiers to the generals. In comparison, the Wehrmacht were just regular soldiers doing as they were told, many of them were not fanatics or sadists.

those are positive points

I would rank them from best to worse like this
1. western forces
2. nazis & Italians
3. japs
4. Soviets
Though the nazis become somewhat understandable when you realize they were essentially a beaten dog backed into a corner

What's gonna be thrilling about it?

I probably would have enjoyed it more if it was R rated

How I would rank them:
1. Nazis
2. Japanese (look up what they did to the Chinese as well as Allied POWs
3. Soviets (They basically raped half the women in Germany)
4. Italians (they had concentration camps too)
5. Western Forces

To be clear I was ranking the soviets as the worse.

Any books like With The old Breed that'd cover the slav atrocities? Because it's gonna be hard to top how Japs would dismember troops and stuff their mouths with their own genitals

its going to be kino

wasn't 9/11 Pearl Harbor 2.0?

>Torture was used on a wide scale in various prisons, especially those in small towns. Prisoners were scalded with boiling water in Bobrka; in Przemyslany, people had their noses, ears, and fingers cut off and eyes put out; in Czortkow, female inmates had their breasts cut off; and in Drohobycz, victims were bound together with barbed wire.
And this was just in Poland.

The thing that sets the soviets above all the others is they were treating their own like utter shit as well

Yeah. There's also the case of the Alexandra Hospital Massacre in 1942.

>At about 1:00 p.m. the first Japanese soldier was sighted approaching the building. A British officer walked out to meet him while pointing to his Red Cross arm band as an internationally recognised symbol to protect military medical personnel during armed conflicts.[7] The Japanese soldier ignored this and fired at the officer but failed to hit him. The officer ran back inside but by then more Japanese soldiers had surrounded the hospital.[8] For about one hour, three large groups of Japanese soldiers attacked the hospital. They went from room to room shooting, bayonetting and beating up doctors, orderlies and patients indiscriminately. They even killed an anaesthetised patient who was still lying on the operating table.

Fucking animals.

Japs still don't hold a candle to what the Nazis did to the "undesirables". They killed or made infertile 75-90% of the mentally ill, killed over 90% of gypsies, expelled or killed countless small ethnic groups, conducted horrendous experiments on prisoners, millions of people in slave labor, and that's not even going into the concentration camps.

So no human lives harmed then.

Show proofs

Soviets did all that too

I embrace every new Nolan film, because regaredless of how stupid it might be, it will provide fresh cutting edge memes

-Nolan is a shitty writer

Give 2 examples of how he's a bad writer, go.

Oh well.

Not trying too sound too Sup Forums but making a unwanted group infertile is actually a preety nice way of getting rid of them.
Like, lets say, you let Asla the Turk live in your rural French Town. He gets all the benifits and duties of being a citizen, yet gets to retain his unuiqe heritage. Hell he could heven marry a frenchie qt so he gets some of that sweet white pussy, yet he is no harm to the french demograpics of that town.

In essense, you get all the benifits of multiculturism yet non of the blowback/damage of dealing with there ethniclly confused/hostile spawn.

Its a win-win for all involved really.

Also i hold hope for the dunkirk movie just because its a intresting bit of history but it will probably be lack-luster.

oh and worst factions in WWII were

1.Soviets
2.Japanese
3.Nazis
4.Everyone else

This is probably what every serious historian can agree on at least (if they have no bias of course!)

The Dark Knight. The dialogue is so fucking bad.

wtf i love nazis now

basically going to be this generations saving private ryan. expect a really good opening scene, with 2 hours of talking/walking afterwards, and maybe a tense hostage standoff or some shit with a grand finale explosion scene at the end.

wait its not rated R?

fucking dropped. can they even say "fuck" in pg-13?

Maybe you should start writing screenplays, being the expert that you are.

yea you're an edgy slav

Yes, a max of 2, but some movies have broken that rule so who knows.

Expect a lot of "SHITE!" "ARSE!" "BLOODY HELL!" and "STICKY WICKET!"

How were the British worse then?

idk most people admit it. except for Japanese historians apparently

Calm down Nolan.

The bombing of Dresden

It's Nolan doing editing shenanigans again, hence the tickling clock motive in the trailers
>“The film is told from three points of view. The air (planes), the land (on the beach) and the sea (the evacuation by the navy). For the soldiers embarked in the conflict, the events took place on different timelines.
>On land, some stayed one week stuck on the beach. On the water, the events lasted a maximum day; and if you were flying to Dunkirk, the British spitfires would carry an hour of fuel. To mingle these different versions of history, one has to mix the temporal strata. Hence the complicated structure; Even if the story, once again, is very simple."

Triggered Nolan fan detected.

source 4 u
darkhorizons.com/nolans-dunkirk-set-across-three-perspectives/

>start war
>cry when bad shit happens to you

Na fuck off. Total war, gloves off, do whatever it takes to hasten victory.

Based Nazis showing how its done. Bummer that they didnt get rid of all the gyppos

>germany started the war
Ok, friend.
Also didnt knew war meant killing civilizans just because.

Unit 731

Japs did some fucked up shit. There's already a couple of movies on it though like Men Behind the Sun.

Even just reading the Wikipedia page on Unit 731 will make you ill, or at least gross you out.

>set out to make a historical epic about a major moment in the largest war in history
>PG-13

Nolan is the Michael Bay of film

america did some pretty fucked up shit. like dropping 2 nukes on civilians.

It's going to be Anglo propaganda

>What I saw made me gasp in horror. On the floor lay a woman who had been in the last stages of pregnancy. Her abdomen had been slit open with a knife and the foetus extracted. She had bled to death. The foetus had been impaled to a beam with a bayonet.

From Sniper on the Eastern Front

Well that's horrifying, I'll check it out thanks.

It's a short but good read.

Found out about it from this vid.
youtube.com/watch?v=AXaaybiRiYY
Turns out WWII explosive ammo is really effective

Nolan said he is doing an experiment with this film in that there will be very little dialogue. could be the making for kino

>French troops fought and died to hold the evacuation zone for the BEF
>Fighting so fierce veteran German commanders were sending messages back to their central command demanding reinforcements because their advance had stalled and was about to turn into a "second Verdun"
>Movie focuses on a bunch of Brits sitting on a beach

Anglo/10

Based frogs.

There's a word for this in my country, "kinographia."

youtube.com/watch?v=xFa81ROLvIw

I hate these threads because it's filled of people with Sup Forums gained historical knowledge about an event that wasn't cut and dry

>hur dur based frogs died for evil anglos!
Yes and no. A huge number of French were also lifted out of the area.

>hur dur it's all Anglo's fault!
Wrong. The French PROMISED the British that the Arden was impenetrable and there was no need to guard that sector. So all the BEF and the best French troops (read; had more than 8 rounds per soldier) went to Belgium. When the Germans DID break through the Arden, the French refused to believe it was a major attack AND kept it from the British. By the time the Germans had crossed the Meuse, the French realised it was a major attack and promptly ordered the RAF to bomb the pontoon bridges... resulting in 80% casualties for the RAF, destroying the only air cover the French and BEF had (the French aircraft were interwar at best).

>b-but the Anglos ran!
They didn't. They said they needed a counter attack but the French demanded to be in charge of the land war at the start, so there were High Command to go through.. Who at this point had all been fired (a panicked reaction), the French then brought back an old General out of retirement (Philippe Pétain) and tried to organise a counter attack. By this point, however, the Germans were in France in force. The government decided 5th Columnists were at fault because there was NO WAY the Germans penetrated the Maginot Line (who by this point had run out of ammo for their big guns and was destroyed). So more firings. At this point the Anglo's saw the Germans had encircled them as Netherlands had fallen and were closing in on Belgium. So they said 'Best leave chaps'. At which point the Frogs start screeching, despite having NO aircover (and the Germans aircraft were superior anyway) no tank warfare tactics (French used 'pocket' tanks) and NOW the Italians had invaded the South of France.

The Anglo's pulled everybody they could out, including French.

Looks like i'm not going to sleep tonight thx

BOMBER HARRIS DID NOTHING WRONG

> What is the best PG-13 Action movie?

Nolan said recently there's barely any dialogue in it and he's not interested in exploring the soldiers' sentimental backstories, just the raw visceral experience of following their attempted survival

He's going the full Fury Road for this one

Think about the dark knight rises fight scene with the cops, now imagine it with soldiers in ww2.
BRAVO NOLAN

it's going to be balls-to-the-wall suspense the whole way through

Nolan has said the movie is split into three consecutive parts going over the same action from three different perspectives, Run Lola Run-style- from the air (RAF), from the ground (soldiers on the beach), and from the sea (Navy), exploring the different timescales the event took place on from different perspectives. I'm assuming the RAF portion will be the shortest as their job was basically over within minutes, while the Navy were there for hours and the soldiers were there for days.

Is it just me or Nolan really wants to be next Spielberg? I mean Interstellar was originally ment to be done by Spielberg. I ama first to call it, next Nolan flick will be about Holocaust.

> They basically raped half the women in Germany
Good. Nazie whores deserved it.

Didn't Hitler manage to NOT do the whole "civilian slaughter" thing to such an extent that he won praise from fucking Ghandi? (obviously setting aside the BIG civilian slaughter, if you drink THAT kool-aid)

he wants to be Spielberg but a non-political Speilberg
he said during the campaign for Interstellar that his favourite movie is Raiders Of The Lost Ark
dude just wants to make well-crafted blockbusters but redditors keep imposing their psuedo-profound philosophising onto his work

I just wish he'd do more neo-noir like Insomnia, he could be the next Michael Mann

> from fucking Ghandi?

who was trying to gain independence from Britain at the time, so no conflict of interest there at all ...

thx. I always found wierd when his hardcore fans call thinks he is second Kubrick. The Michael Mann comparison especially makes sense when you think about how much Heat influenced Dark Kinght

FIRST ONE TO STORM THE BEACH GETS TO STAY ON MY PLATOON

Are you suggesting that if Hitler DID have a bloodthirsty way of waging war, that a legendary pacifist like Ghandi would harm his own image by sucking his dick?

I knew what this video was going to be before I opened it

The rating makes sense in terms of the story, he doesn't want to make a yet another Saving Private Ryan.

Some excerpts from an extensive Dunkirk interview:

>(Smile.) Do not repeat it to the studio: it will be my most experimental film. By far. I preferred to make a sensory, almost experimental movie. Without dialogue. The soldiers have no history - at least I don’t tell it. Most of the crew didn’t understand why I was screening them The Wages of Fear. But it was the one that made the most sense. Which talks about mechanics, procedure and physical difficulties. I rewatched Pickpoket and Un condamné à mort s’est échappé, just for that. Bresson details everything, creates suspense with details.

>[Saving Private] Ryan is a film about the body, blood, fear of being dismembered. Fear is physical. Steven was able to create a visceral intensity of the experience of war. Dunkirk doesn’t play in the same category. It’s a movie with suspense and a race against time.

>It isn’t by accident that Heart of Darkness by Conrad is one of my favorite novels. It’s the purest form of geography and storytelling. Conrad never repeats himself, he sinks gradually into the depths of the human mind. Is it an inward journey or a trip out of oneself ? That’s the real question Conrad is asking. And 2001! And Dante! How to tell the trip ? This is the main question of cinema. Dunkirk speaks about a very special place that evokes the Bible squarely. In May 1940, the English were the Jews driven out of Egypt and driven back by the Red Sea. And in a Judeo-Christian civilization it adds a very strong level of mythology.

yes

Well you just suck at Realpolitik (or you're a salty brit)