Were there any other Balrogs left in Middle Eath during the time of LOTR or was Durins Bane the last?

were there any other Balrogs left in Middle Eath during the time of LOTR or was Durins Bane the last?
what hapened to it's spirit after it was destroyed? you think it shared Saurons and Sarumans fate?

They were all driven underground as they weren't worthy of seeing Galadriel riverdance

it was reborn as Balrog the White

Gandalf explicitly calls it a demon of the ancient world, did you even watch the movie ?

Durins Bane?

He also said swords are no more use here and then beat it with his sword.

balrogs are the same type of being like gandalf or sauron, a maia. his spirit dispersed.

for a spirit to completly vanish is impossible in Tolkiens cosmology, as they they are the same as souls in Christian mythology, thus immortal. Saurons and Sarumans spirits did survive, but they were denied to ever re-enter Valinor and were left to be wandering Middle Earth untill the end of times

yes, dispersed not vanished. also i am not sure of that but arent humans the only ones with souls while elves are part of arda/nature while maia are just exstension of erus power?

just like sheev and obi wan

>Galadriel riverdance
Someone explain to me this meme

A sword he used as a conduit for his sorcery faggot.

So if they can't "re enter," An have just just wander around in spirit form....can other spirits meet each other and start fighting?

Nah he just swung at it and cut it's horn off. Pretty sure Aragon or Boromir would have been better to be fair considering they are much better fighters.

yeah, elves had souls of a different kind than humans, as in they were ultimately tied to Arda. thats why elves could be reborn after their death, they're spirits just came back to Valinor after their death. that also means that after Arda itself ultimately ends after a long time, their spirits will forever die with it. human souls after their death did not stay in Arda but reunited with Eru and would take part in another cycle of creating the world with him, ulltimatelu humans were more immortal than elves, only their souls would survive the ending of Arda

>Gandalf falls down with the Balrog into the depths of Moria
>next scene is them both falling from the sky onto a mountain peak.

explain this shit.

are you retarded? gandalf is literally chunk of gods power who took on old grandpa shape. boromir or aragorn wouldnt even survives the fall.

>he doesnt know about comfy lotr lore threads

>We fought from the deepest dungeon to the highest peak."

He only fell into water after swinging his sword at it after saying swords are useless.

"We fell into the deepest pits of the earth, yadda yadda yadda, I smote his ruin upon the mountaintop"

That wasn't a sword. It was a sword-shaped lightning bolt.

no he fell thousands of meters while getting burned by balrog as well as hitting the walls. he also enforced the sword with his divine powers so he could strike balrog who is spirit himself and wouldnt be wounded by normal blade.

>'Deep is the abyss that is spanned by Durin's Bridge, and none has measured it,' said Gimli.
>'Yet it has a bottom, beyond light and knowledge,' said Gandalf. 'Thither I came at last, to the uttermost foundations of stone. He was with me still. His fire was quenched, but now he was a thing of slime, stronger than a strangling snake.
>'We fought far under the living earth, where time is not counted. Ever he clutched me, and ever I hewed him, till at last he fled into dark tunnels. They were not made by Durin's folk, Gimli son of Glóin. Far, far below the deepest delving of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he. Now I have walked there, but I will bring no report to darken the light of day. In that despair my enemy was my only hope, and I pursued him, clutching at his heel. Thus he brought me back at last to the secret ways of Khazad-dûm: too well he knew them all. Ever up now we went, until we came to the Endless Stair.'

'Long has that been lost,' said Gimli. 'Many have said that it was never made save in legend, but others say that it was destroyed.'
'It was made, and it had not been destroyed,' said Gandalf. 'From the lowest dungeon to the highest peak it climbed. ascending in unbroken spiral in many thousand steps, until it issued at last in Durin's Tower carved in the living rock of Zirak-zigil, the pinnacle of the Silvertine.
'There upon Celebdil was a lonely window in the snow, and before it lay a narrow space, a dizzy eyrie above the mists of the world. The sun shone fiercely there, but all below was wrapped in cloud. Out he sprang, and even as I came behind, he burst into new flame. There was none to see, or perhaps in after ages songs would still be sung of the Battle of the Peak.' Suddenly Gandalf laughed. 'But what would they say in song? Those that looked up from afar thought that the mountain was crowned with storm. Thunder they heard, and lightning, they said, smote upon Celebdil, and leaped back broken into tongues of fire. Is not that enough? A great smoke rose about us, vapour and steam. Ice fell like rain. I threw down my enemy, and he fell from the high place and broke the mountain-side where he smote it in his ruin. Then darkness took me; and I strayed out of thought and time, and I wandered far on roads that I will not tell.

Aragon or Boromir could have probably killed it on the bridge since they are much better with a sword than Gandalf.

god tier answers, user. here have some artwork as payment.

This is the kind of stuff people were talking about when they said LOTR was unfilmable.

If you look at the time line given in the appendices

January 15, 3019 - The Fellowship parts after Gandalf falls into Khazad-dûm while fighting a Balrog.
January 17, 3019 - The Fellowship arrives at Caras Galadhon at evening.
January 23, 3019 - Gandalf pursues the balrog to the peak of Zirak-zigil.
January 25, 3019 - Gandalf slays the Balrog and dies. His body stays on the peak.

And so died Galdalf: The Weakest Maiar. lol

holy fuck, a ten days fight

That old fucker is fighting for 6 straight days?! Like calm down bitch there had to have been a moment where both were tired and could have just walked away

why did the balrog fall down? its got wings for fucks sake.

MASSIVE PLOT HOLE
BRAVO TOLKIEN

they were both immortal spirits, Gandalf was constrained by his flesh body, but propably went super saiyan for the fight

As was said, the Balrog tried to flee, Gandalf ran it down.

They're both immortal, and they're both basically demi-gods so I'm sure it wasn't that big a deal.

thats a good fucking artwork, thanks user, saved

More like a days long chase followed by two days of fighting at the mountaintop.

Bear in mind, if Gandalf had let the Balrog go, he would have been lost in the LotR version of the UnderDark until some eldritch horror ate him.

This thread is hilarious

This shit makes me laugh to be a normal human in this world

>ohh look a fucking smoking monster and an old man fighting on the mountain agin...GET A JOB!

why were balrogs so hard to kill even for a maiar? i get that mortals or even elves have a hard time, but come on.

even radagast should be able to take one on

It's mommy Cate

balrog is also maia. they are the same race.

why does everyone one refer to them as "belrog" and "gandalf"
its clearly satan and god

Balrogs ARE Maiar.

Balrogs ARE maia.

balrogs were maiar

belrogs = mayors

fuckng retad

They're what?

Who would win in a fight

The Eagles vs A Balrog

lorehivemind

idris elba

You came to the wrong Mountain Bal Bitch!
>Y-you came to the m-mountain not me!

if you want to use such terminology then gandalf is angel and balrog demon.

Really more apt to call them both demigods.

and aragorn is jesus

IIRC the Eagles aren't Maiar or divine in any way, Manwe just sent them to help out with that sweet rebellion that Feanor was mucking about with.

what was Balrog's tax policy?

they are demigods in tolkiens world. he wanted christian terminology for whatever reason

thousand dwarven sacrifices per day.

Who was he again?

They would have died with the first hit taken even if they had blocked the strike. Gandalf isn't normal in any way. He only appears to look normal. It was basically a super saiyan fight.

bellends= malfunction

But how does the Balrog redistribute the dead dwarves to better middle earth

free people of middle earth are undesirebles. they will be replaced by honest hard working law abinding orcs and goblins.

>its got wings
No it doesn't.

It does in the flick and that's what we should be discussing here.

>Who am I gambling?
Didn't realise Theoden was an addict and going senile at that.

I dont understand

I mean, good for him, cuz he's catholic and whatnot, but then he wrote about "angels" in the form of the vala who have domains of control within the world and who marry each other.

That suggests more that the Vala are like polytheistic gods with the Maia being like demi-gods (with a supreme being above everything).

Valar are greater angels, Maiar are lesser angels. there is only ane God and its Eru

Not an argument.

Angels don't marry.

Kek

It's a real pity that the word Epic has been watered down so much over the years, because that's Epic writing, in the original sense, right there.

BEADY

>You will never use the spike on your helmet to impale a Balrog only to drown in a pool.

Theres a theory that Sauron intended on recruiting Durins Bane and Smaug to lead his armies against Gondor (Balrogs used to ride into battle on dragons in the 1st age).

Also, theres probably a few in hibernation deep beneath the iron hills.

Feanor bitchslapped the rest of them.

>Sauron intended on recruiting Durins Bane and Smaug to lead his armies against Gondor

Both are creatures of Morgoth, Saurons pimp, if anything they're his equal and god hemp Middle Earth should Durins Bane get the ring, he'd become a very big Balrog.

For you to get the command structure of Morgoth's forces, you have to understand that Morgoth and Sauron were about the strongest of their kind respectively (Valar and Maiar)

Yes, but Morgoth pissed it all away during the First Age and Sauron put it all in the ring. There wouldnt be lots of loyalty from a Balrog to Sauron.

I mean yeah, but half the point of that post was to say "For you".

Is there ever actually any in depth description of the nameless things?

I got that, and you should have continued with another subtle Bane post.

The only thing I recall that might compare is Ungoliant.

I don't think so, but if even Gandalf was afarid to speak about them, they had to be some kind of lovecraftian eldritch horrors on par with Ungoliant. in my headcanon I always imagined them to be of the same kind as Watcher in the Water, but much bigger and more powerful

I always picture them as similiar to the sandworms from dune.

Eyeless, endless, gnawing at the foot of the world without purpose or care. Pure existence without substance.

>Balrog=Bison

>Far, far below the deepest delving of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he.

Oh shit. I'm guessing not but is any more ever said about those things?

see

see
*forgot one user

Nobody ever gets it right that the Balrogs are supposed to passively absorb all nearby light (except what they make themselves) into a black void around them like a black hole

It's supposed to imply that the fight was incredibly long. Long enough to walk up from the deepest abyss to the highest mountain top.

For you.

Why didn't Gandalf just teleport?

Will there ever be a movie soundtrack that captures the tone and essential themes of the source material like Howard Shores' score for middle-earth?

eglez wer buzy

lol what a shit wizard