Have anti smoking commercials actually helped to reduce the number of teens attempting to smoke cigarettes or has...

Have anti smoking commercials actually helped to reduce the number of teens attempting to smoke cigarettes or has reverse psychology set in and actually got more teens to try it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=S0fJyeW3v4o
youtube.com/watch?v=2l2uHcK4pDQ
youtube.com/watch?v=FV48VY0jzsw
youtube.com/watch?v=80W66vI9jNc
youtube.com/watch?v=qyXFN4ocN_o
youtube.com/watch?v=zuh2w2sFRMI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Have you ever heard of this amazing thing called google?

Not sure but when they tried to use meme to promote anti smoking crap. I kinda wanted to buy a pack out of pure spite.

I'm sure those hip "meme" commercials that Truth put out made some people try cigarettes out of spite

While the percentage of teens smoking is down, I don't think the ads have anything to do with it. I think the decrease in adults smoking, more information about the negative effects of smoking, and smoking not being portrayed as such a cool thing to do anymore are why it's down.

The ads probably don't really effect teens one way or the other

lately i've been seing ones about how 'big tobacco' is targeting minorities and is 'advertising' in black neighborhoods, and near schools
it pisses me off because they legally can't advertise in public, a sign in the window of a gas station that says 'Newports $3.99 a pack' isn't a fucking ad

i don't give a shit, i'll keep smoking

The ads are part of the "information about the negative effects of smoking, and smoking not being portrayed as such a cool thing to do"

It's not that effective on it's own, but combined with everything else, smoking is down in a lot of countries

So it's working, how much is down to government efforts is up for debate

far less people smoke now, but I think the leading cause is it's not socially acceptable anymore, people don't want to do it or even be around other people doing it so smokers feel ostracized, rather than listening to faggy government shilling

I remember reading a study where they found that anti smoking ads actually stimulated the craving part of the brain when smokers saw them. I think its because anti smoking ads are already on cigarettes and it reminds them of their craving. They did brain scans with a MRI while showing them different images regarding smoking (forgive me for medical inaccuracies.)

Whether they prevent people from trying? I have no data on that, but I imagine environmental factors are the biggest contributor. Physically abusive parents, smoking parents, "cool" factor...

Yeah it really just comes down to the fact that there are more liquor stores in lower income/ minority neighborhoods

Smoking is for poor people.

the best way to reduce the number of teen smokers is to grow up with a chain smoking parent

I learned early that is not worth it to feel like I'm calm when I really am not

cheaper and better alternatives

the singe biggest factor is probably the money desu

redpilled people*

This is why I never tried it. Every poor person I know smokes, drinks a lot too.

no teens are inherently stupid since they have no concept of time and change they think nothing bad can happen to them since nothing bad has happened to them so far. everything seems to have always been the way it is right now and will continue to be until it doesn't of course.

teen smoking rates are actually down but vaping is up, hard to say

i meant the increase in price specifically. that's why people quit. here the price has doubled over the last ten years.

fucking gubmint stop slapping taxes on my fags ree

Anti smoking ads look dumb as fuck to kids and teenagers. The reason less people smoke is that their parents really aren't doing it any more and smoking is now more thought of as something low class people do. It isn't "cool" to smoke any more for most people.

it's because we've arrived in the age of hyperindividualism and FITNESS as a key LIFESTYLE ELEMENT. the key is the shaming of any and all unhealthy behaviour even though it's literally noone else's goddam business unless youre a fat woman then all is fine

this is the age of vegan smoothies and veggie burger options at McDonald's and people installing 20 different fitness and planner apps on their phone which they never fucking use but it makes them less ashamed.

smoking is similarily prevalent with low and high class people.

>smoking is similarily prevalent with low and high class people.
That's just not true.

And I don't see what's wrong about healthy lifestyles being promoted over unhealthy ones. You don't need to buy into kale and expensive diets to be healthier. And it's not like shaming people for being unhealthy is a new thing, people have been getting made fun of for being fat forever.

Smoking for the current generation is low class . Whatever social engineering is being done is working fine. I like smoking, but I'm to vain and health conscious to smell bad, have yellow teeth and fucked lungs.

I think smoking is fading out mainly because:
It's expensive
You can't smoke everywhere like it used to be in the past.
Smoking is getting less and less advertising. Smoking is strongly discouraged by policy makers. Ten years ago it was way more common to watch commercials and smoking was commonly shown in movies. Today it's not the case. Can't offer citations, so you are welcome if you want to give me shit. It just my exp.

10.27 for my fucking kools the other day.

switched back to bnm's

These were the first "Truth" ads I remember, they freaked me out when I was a kid.

youtube.com/watch?v=S0fJyeW3v4o

youtube.com/watch?v=2l2uHcK4pDQ

youtube.com/watch?v=FV48VY0jzsw

At least they were physically trying instead of the meme ads of current day...

The current ones where they blast shitty EDM and try to be "hip" make me crave cigs.

Left Swipe Dat

also I cannot forget this one
youtube.com/watch?v=80W66vI9jNc

THIS

Holy fuck I wish the cost what they do now as a teenager, I would have just stuck to pot

this and I stopped smoking long ago, I am gonna pass that shit out to kids fuck you

>tfw genetically immune to nicotine addiction

Feels good man.

Fuck you genetically inferior subhumans.

>that perspective
>can't even draw a cylinder right

hire a real artist next time

That's fair I feel Vaping will become the big replacement. As long as they get the whole exploding battery thing figured out I think it will take off.

Around 2008-2010 people at my school were spending $10-15 on packs. Many people switched to these terrible Marlboro 54s or something because they were "only" $6.00. People just adjusted to awful cigarettes when the mainstay brands prices got too high. Pack a day people.

Literally the only reason people have stopped smoking is it's too expensive. I'm sinking almost 100 bucks a week into the fucking things at this poiint

I'd like to switch to vaping but it just isn't the same from what I've tried. I need that burn at the back of my throat more than anything else and vaping doesn't do that.

Plus the whole vaping thing seems like a giant meme

Plus the popcorn lung, no thanks

Honestly go out for a smoke nearly every time these ads show up.

I know what's ahead of me, and I know I will hike far into a far away forest, and shoot myself in the head with a 12 gauge.

If ain't lung cancer, it will be liver failure. I'll bet on the latter.

Honestly why does the government care so much about smoking, like holy shit just mind your own business.

LEFT SWIPE DAT

I worked at a tabacco store, but I never smoked. Got some second hand stuff probably. I don't do it because I'm a fat fuck already.

I want you to lose 50 pound by the time you're done reading this post.

Many welfare and disability recipients are chain smokers and/or heavy drinkers that easily burn through at least $100-$300 to fuel their habit each month. I'm assuming the government wants people to kick their habit to save the taxpayers some money

How about don't give all that money to people on welfare,or do checks to make sure they spend it on essentials.

>second hand stuff
That's a myth.

Just dip now instead of smoking, started cycling and really couldn't do it while smoking. Dip is great though, it's kinda the same habit as have to have it first thing with coffee, at work, and after eating. Still cheaper too

I can never figure out how poor people can afford to be smokers/alcoholics. I'm middle class and sinking that much money into a habit seems completely insane. Don't poor people need to eat? Or do they survive alright but could be much better off/get themselves out of poverty if they weren't smokers or drinkers?

These types of ads are called "fear appeals" and they are proved not to work.
Recipients of the message simply do not believe that the person in the ad is them, because they do not identify or want to identify with grotesque shit. Same with the diseased lung on the packaging. People just rip the ad off.
t. PhD in health campaigns (almost got my degree)

These were kino

Do you guys remember that they used to put these ads on the ps1 demos?

I pretty much don't know anyone who still smokes

This

>I remember reading a study where they found that anti smoking ads actually stimulated the craving part of the brain when smokers saw them.
i buy that. had to light one up while reading this thread kek

That was honestly the second biggest factor that got me smoking. I needed to get back at all those obnoxious commercials somehow. AND I SURE SHOWED THEM

>I'm sinking almost 100 bucks a week into the fucking things at this poiint
i buy mine from an indian reserve. 8 bucks for a bag of 200. costs 40 bucks a month. feels good man

Fuck off.

I can remember taking up smoking circa 2004 for various reasons. A background reason was a weird, opaque, PC anti-smoking campaign which was being plastered around the college campus, and so I felt obliged to stick it to the man by smoking. a pack cost 3bux, less than 15 years ago, when I'd started. For various other reasons, I managed to quit in 2011, despite being quite addicted.

Anti smoking commercials and such only serve to embolden smoking, in my view. The muppet in the OP is no caution to me, I've worked with some lovely skeletons who smoked. The other thing going on here is a vanity that you won't die. Yes, you will. If you choose to while away the time with a smoke, god bless you. I just had to quit, that's all.

thank you for smoking.

Everyone I know who smokes hasn't been affected by these ads at all, they just think the anti-smoking ads are gross and don't even associate them with smoking.

>it's an addicts can't accept their shortcomings so they blame the television episode

With a good box mod and tank you can get any variety or hit type you like, yes, a burn as well.

It's a fucking shitton cheaper too if you're a heavy, heavy smoker. (Nicotine is a hell of a drug.)

what a surprising opinion for Sup Forums to have

Why do people start smoking?

Most people start smoking during their teens and the two most commons reasons are
1. Their friends are doing it
2. To relieve stress

3. out of weed and gotta smoke something

>2. To relieve stress

That's absolutely retarded. It only relieves stress after you're addicted to it and the stress itself is cause by the addiction. Kids are dumb

Proof? Didn't think so.

There's a theory since that since tobacco companies are forced to fund anti-smoking campaigns that have the meme lol we're young and hip were elaborate psy-ops conducted by big tobacco to get people smoking out of spite

Some friends of mine have kids and whenever some of the ads we get came on, they'd run out of the room horrified; their mum would tell them when it was ok to come back in.

I doubt they'll smoke lmao

>Kids are dumb
well that goes without saying

No, nicotine is calming even if you're not chemically addicted.

GOOD FEELS MOVIE ON
EVERYBODY HAPPY
commercial break

THIS SHIT

Uuh...where's the remote....
Damn that pizza is good

FUCK OFF

I very rarely see kids getting into smoking nicotine these days, though the faggy vaping is making a hit.

For the most part I think it's universally known what smoking does to you, and the only people starting it are too dumb to live.

Help me find the video I'm looking for. It was a parody/skit of the famous smoker. I feel like it was from MadTV. The lady went from smoking through her throat to playing a trumpet for some kids. Then she ate some food and it came processed through her throat. It was hilarious. Anyone else remember?

youtube.com/watch?v=qyXFN4ocN_o
THIS IS YOUR BRAIN ON DRUGS

fun fact big tobacco is the secret force behind all the recent pushes to make week legal everywhere because they know they are best set up for mass production and that just like with tobacco they will be able to easily reap 20-30 years of profits from it before people start to realize it's just as bad for you as smoking tobacco was.

>Don't smoke, it'll ruin your health and kill you
>Fuck you. In fact, you know what, I'll start smoking and slowly poison my body with that crap just to show you off!

Americans really are idiots.

lol'd

How to smoke:

>2. To relieve stress
While technically correct, that is certainly not important enough to even list. I'd say it's more like
1. Peer pressure
2. They think it looks cool and all grown-up

Actually, I know many smokers who have weirdly affected ways of smoking to emphasize whatever they think looks cool about it. Running through the building on their way out with the cigarette in their mouths, looking all serious, playing around with their zippo, tucking up the collars of their jackets to look a little more like Camus. Yeah, I think it's mostly about that for many people, the sheer appearance of smoking. Being that deep, mysterious guy enjoying the one thing nobody understands. It's retarded, but I think it's true. That's also why so man men and so few women smoke. Women just don't give a fuck about an image like that.

You haven't seen these commercials mane.
Also
>fuck_having_laws_and_borders_and_shit_in_yurop.jpg.

best anti-smoking ad coming through
my two-pack-a-day-for-30-years old man loved it to no end
youtube.com/watch?v=zuh2w2sFRMI

I didn't get smoking at all until my mid 20s when it became obvious dying sooner

It's actually super funny to see tobacco ads these days. Literally all they can advertise is:
>You are a little like this tough guy when you smoke.
>Being a smoker always gives you a reason to get out, where you can maybe talk to this attractive woman.

It's amazing to think that there are people retarded enough to buy that shit.

Did say more women

>8.5 million americans living with smoke-related diseases
>300 million americans living at that time

I like those odds.

To be fair the latter is accurate. Smoking is time unordered ma

>he lives in a country where it is legal for tobacco companies to disseminate positive advertisements

lmao, how did you even find a device with a working internet connection in your 3rd world hellhole to submit this post?

Nah, less, way less.

Someone give her the JUST haircut

JUUUUST

I live in Germany

Actually working in the service industry is why I started smoking...and drinking to excess..and doing coke.

Am I the only white guy who smokes swisher sweets like a nigger?

>tfw 1 month free of cigarettes

>Women are less prone to using pointless activities as an excuse to practice attention-seeking behavior than men
>women are, as a rule, less narcissistic and less concerned with their public image than men
>there are very few women who smoke because of this
This person is literally 13 years old.

I guess they don't have any problems with people inhaling toxic gas

I'm sorry that I triggered your compulsive misogyny, but I wasn't even saying any of this, I was just saying that the image smoking conveys is not really appealing to women.

oof. Does children's programming have beer adverts promising casual sex during the commercial break as well?

I don't watch television, but iirc there were beer commercials, but usually they were a little more dignified, usually focusing mostly on the taste of the beer.

You suggested that it's a fact that very few women smoke, and then justified that belief by arguing the primary attraction to using tobacco for most smokers is that they can cultivate a 'brooding and mysterious' image.

You're either an underage virgin who is really into straight edge culture, or autistic.

I guarantee that the primary motivation formost smokers in your country, male or female, is not 'looking cool'.

Maybe not the primary motivation to continue smoking (which is obviously plain old addiction), certainly for starting smoking though. You are a smoker yourself, right? Typical to deny the embarrassing parts about your habit.

I didn't start smoking until I was of legal age to buy cigarettes, years after most of my peers, and I picked up the habit because of the pleasurable sensation nicotine causes in conjunction with other drugs and alcohol. They are also so dirt cheap where I live that financial restriction on maintaining the habit doesn't really exist.

By the time I started the majority girls my age had already at least tried smoking, and most of them continue to smoke today.

Particularly immature kids who have Refn-tier fantasies about how smoking makes them look existed, but they are a small minority and most grew up and dropped the habit very quickly afterwards.

My only point here is that (in my country) your experience of what is 'typical' for smokers is a perspective that only a young teenager whose attention is narrowly trained on their peers can have.