ITT: mediocre or decent players overrated, overhyped and made into superstars by the media

ITT: mediocre or decent players overrated, overhyped and made into superstars by the media

I'll start.

Attached: 201712141018141814.jpg (640x426, 44K)

Attached: Michael_ballack_chelsea.jpg (406x944, 105K)

The entire current MU squad

Attached: cristiano-gol-real-sociedad_15_970x597.jpg (970x597, 63K)

Attached: 1475291263711.jpg (437x574, 42K)

Neville
Carragher
Giggs
Beckham
Cantona
Terry

Huh?

But your OP is the exact polar opposite. Owen was a wonderfully talented goalscorer who doesn't even get a mention because he doesn't do le ebin dribbling, arguing with refs or some other meme "heart" trait.

Can you find an example of him missing a one-on-one? Or at least a relevant one?

rent free, my man. are you SEETHING?

Scholes

the way German media hyped him you'd think he was on Zidane's level and one of the very best in the game for that generation. In reality he wasn't even better than Rui Costa. He "underperformed" (actually performed at his real level) at Bayern and Chelsea. He was only good in German team around 2002, but even shit like Podolski played good for German NT.

Not shit. He was the third best striker in the PL in those days, just behind Van Nistelrooy and Henry. Bit like Lukaku today.

Owen was a good player, good striker. Good pace and good finishing. Nothing less, but nothing more. But he won fucking Ballon Dor for fucks sakes and english media called him a golden boy or something like he's fucking Ronaldo Nazario. Definitely very overrated. No better than Crespo or Makaay, different type of striker, but no better. There were dozens on his level when he played, and many better.

>Khedira was better because >muh dynamism

Every England No.1 since Seaman has been hyped to the moon and turned out mediocre at best. Robinson and Hart being the main offenders.

I supposed it depends on the time. I'd agree he was overrated while actually playing, right now I think he's underrated compared to the appraisal and lamenting over some other players from the "golden generation".

>overhyped, overrated

Literally any "english" player since Lampard/Gerrard. Btw, these two started it.

How?

scholes started that with all those fake quotes and hype despite achieving nothing

Every English National Team player from 1960 - now

Those 2 players were key parts of 2 teams that were consistently among the best 4 teams in Europe. How were they overrated?

>Can you find an example of him missing a one-on-one? Or at least a relevant one?

terrible argument.

people don't go around clipping pointless little beige incidents to post on youtube

>scholes
>achieving nothing

I could have won as many medals as Scholes if I played in that stacked United team.

Scholes being in the team was one of the reasons why it was stacked

>win 5 trophies, the balloon door and a trip out of Liverpool all in one year
Not overrated

Liverpool won the Champions League in the first season after he left though while Owen was a bit-part player at Madrid who never actually won the CL for another 9 years, a team he moved to to improve his chances of Champions League success, so it wasn't all perfect.

I meant he literally sat on the bench for Liverpool in the group stages so he wouldn't be cup-tied but then Liverpool won the trophy that year. What a slap in the face that must have been.

Owen was good. Problem was nobody was getting in the team instead of Raul at that time.

>get btfo while parking the bus against a 5th place la liga team

Couldn't happen to a nicer bloke

Joe Hart was a good young keeper though, at the time legitimately one of the best prospects to be an elite keeper.
Only issue is that he hasn't gotten any better since he was 21.

Attached: 1A4F383D-CB74-4B1F-A790-BDC4E020EBCD.jpg (1280x720, 169K)

those shin pads lmao

That might be Germany but most people know he's a pretty good player but not Zidane level

I’ve always considered him the British version of Casillas, more or less
>good shot stopper
>shits the bed if he comes off his line

How will Sup Forums react if he starts in the World Cup?

If he plays in the WC I think we'll all an hero

First post bad post.

Peak Owen was honestly comparable to Ronaldo m8. No need to dribble if you can just blitz through defense and score.
>no better than Makaay
Shut up Seba.

These desu.

I don't know, even in the US he got some attention from the media when he retired, which is pretty rare.