/lang/ - Language Learning General

>Learning resources
Check """pastebin.com/ACEmVqua"""; for plenty of language resources as well as some nice image guides.
/lang/ is currently short on those image guides, so if you can pitch in to help create one for a given language, don't hesitate to do so!

Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages:
Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages:
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#

>link to /deutsch/ group in telegram
t.me/joinchat/FwlkNg_-8izW87dRPLGMFQ

Other urls found in this thread:

insecam.org/en/bycountry/US/
discord.gg/4ZdrC
4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/German
discord.gg/x7JVED
opentrackers.org/downloading-ebooks-textbooks/
learningswedish.se/courses/1
lexin.nada.kth.se/swe-eng.html
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ScVxrdOTUYu_f7Se5VOS8BgEd2IVa0NejUAfK-DgMw4/edit#gid=0
malmo.stadsbibliotek.org/selfreg
thepiratebay.vg/torrent/7610671/The_Ultimate_Swedish_Language_Learning_Pack_(9.9.2012)
sverigesradio.se/sida/default.aspx?programid=493
8sidor.se
childrenslibrary.org/icdl/SimpleSearchCategory?ids=&pnum=1&cnum=1&text=&lang=English&ilangcode=en&ilang=English&langid=315
flashback.org
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uGqWoFgvd1SBExRyHuuVxiLiU8u8-PN
pastebin.com/b3pPTxQZ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Might as well "observe" the culture too if you are learning the language right?

insecam.org/en/bycountry/US/

man, to be honest, that's kinda creepy....

Learning Korean by watching films with subtitles is quite difficult because Korean and English have radically different grammatical structures. The rhythm of the two don't match.

i watched the video about dutch language in Langfocus channel and it seems a pretty simple language to learn. What do you think about it?

Where are all the Brazilians at?

I think it's quite nice. Lovely people, too.

post the discord

discord.gg/4ZdrC

Can that user who made the /lang general/ images post them again? I forgot to save them individually and wanted to use them later if I started some threads again.
Have any comfy Turkish cameras I can watch?

Haven't torrented anything in years, what's the recommended client these days?

Looking to buy some books to learn Spanish and German.

How is "The Everything Learning German Book" by Edward Swick, and "Madrigal's Magic Key to Spanish: A Creative and Proven Approach" by Margarita Madrigal

qBittorrent.

Thanks Norway, you're a nice guy.

I like Deluge.

Don't waste your time with our shitty language, learn a real one.

English doesn't count towards languages known

it is the free space in bingo regardless of what country you are from
familial tongue doesn't count either it is also a free space

many people know 0 languages it is a shame

Is it ok to be learning Spanish and french ? Should I look to pick an Asian language instead ?

Not that but were you guys IP banned or something? I see a lot less of you now.

What?

Pic related makes me proud to have a Huawei

I was considering learn Portuguese, why wouldnt you reccomend?

It's useless unless you have a personal reason for learning it.

4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/German

>4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/German
i already checked the wiki. I think i forgot that the German book was there.

The Spanish Wiki doesn't have any books; does anyone have a recommendation for learning Spanish?

To answer your question more directly I would highly recommend German for reading. Here is a sales pitch:

>"When you finish German for Reading you should be able to recognize the meanings signaled by all the basic grammatical patterns of German, plus the meanings of about 1200 content words. You will also have developed numerous techniques of reading in a foreign language which will enable you to learn new vocabulary and derive meanings form context without depending totally on a dictionary. You should be able to read a German newspaper or journal with fair to good comprehension or begin the serious study of German literary texts."

80-120 hours of study should keep you busy for at least 6 months.

Please don't listen to those defeatistsPortuguese is in the world's top 10 of most important languages.
If you have interest in brazilian/portuguese music,movies, literature feel free to learn it

Dutch is one of the worst sounding language in the world and Dutch people manage to be arrogant assholes while coming from a tiny irrelevant country.
Fuck them desu, Flemish language and people are way nicer.

I think I am user, definetly.
Thank you for the (you) it is a bit off putting when natives dis their own language, cheers.

Compare my English to that guy's. Who would you rather listen to?

Well it depends on if you're looking for a gf or not. You'll have less luck with French, a little bit more with Spanish, and a lot more with any asian language with the exception of maybe Mongolian.

In terms of usefulness, however, Spanish and French fine

>German for reading

I really want that book too, but its way too expensive. Is there any where I could buy it for like $30 USD?

I agree with Same goes for any language really. Just keep your goals in mind. It may not be as widespread or useful as, say, French, English or Spanish, but if you ever plan to visit a lusophone country it will greatly enhance your travel experience. Plus Portuguese poetry and Brazilian music are awesome

I just want to be able to read at a native level in French, any tips or resources? Sorta new to learning languages.

Duolingo, Pimsleur, and use Anki for vocabulary. As far as grammar goes, I got nothing, but maybe someone can rec a book.

portuguese: the retarded way to talk Spanish

OP the other day some nice guy uploaded some personalize pics for /lang/
>someone need to archive these in the pastebin

I wasted my time learning usless t*rkish

that's all folks

Nice pics, chilibro

Keep em coming

Thanks ameri-user. Whos cuter chinese or japanese ?

I prefer Japs, but the snaggletooth shit that is fashionable right now is uggo.

Same here

>No Lelnovo
Sad.

Here's two more

+ the ones above, should last for a while.
Also I'm learning a couple of languages, not intensively of course. I can't understand every word, but I can glimpse what an article/page says in spanish now and write basic everyday stuff, I've managed to memorise and write every jouyou 1 kanji, and just starting on french.

I wish that guy made images with actual kawaii, colorful anime girls

that image looks drab and dull and brown.

wump

>Germans can't into Helvetian (Swiss)
>Can say the lewdest things and she has no idea

This gives me ideas.

I think their comfy. My only criticism would be that maybe the /lang/ should be bigger/stand out more.

What's the animu? I haven't watched one in years but this seems nice.

Is Italian a good language to learn for a brit?
I love their history and culture, they helped build my country from our native tribes to a real civilisation.
I am just concerned that Italian might not be the most useful language in the world unlike something like Spanish or German since my career is in web design.

I'm learning Greek. How different is cypriot greek to modern standard greek?

The way I see it, any language is a good language to learn for anyone. And if you're more drawn to the history and culture, you'll have a much easier time learning it because it won't feel like a chore. It'll be much more fulfilling.

I also feel like knowing more than one language will help your career no matter what it is (unless it's like, Mari or Ithkuil or something :^)). I suppose the degree of usefulness may be different, but it's still helpful.

I have a hard time finding foreign language ebooks, my prefered way of studying.
The DJT resources are quite helpful for Japanese, I would like to find a site to download German ebooks too. Does anyone have an idea where to look?

Go for it!
Italian has a fair number of native speakers and they are usually not that good at English, so if you speak Italian it's a plus.

pirate bay, "German Language Learning Pack" is a good first stop

I'm at a level where I can comfortably read novels, I just don't know where to get them.

ahhhh those kinds of e-books. Sorry, in that case im not sure.

Someone discord me please

Serbianbro? Rumor is that you (or another Serbian) dissolved the original discord and made a new discord group, for reasons

Nah I'm new here.

>implying French girls won't drool in front of huge NZ Chads who butcher French

Huawei P8 Lite 2017 master race here, and you?

(I also have the original P8 as a backup phone)

American girls drool in front of French Chads who butcher English

Ah, I'm also new to discord. Seems a bit gossipy and drama for my taste, but here you go

Atrocité*
Pressé*
Les* mathématiques et les* langues
Mariage*

Libgen (gen.lib.rus.ec) but remember to download legal books desu

>all these years of work to speak perfect accentless English were useless

Library Genesis

discord.gg/x7JVED
Other link was expired

Talk to us some more. I can't remember the last time I saw gossip/drama because it's always friendly bantz and shameless compliments in the offtopic channel.

learning is never a waste of time, koreanon

and confy evenings sharing tunes in the voice channel

Sora no Woto
There's some languages featured aside Japanese, like German and French, with acceptable pronunciation by the Japs.

opentrackers.org/downloading-ebooks-textbooks/
This goes over everything, if it is not there, you'll have to buy it.

Useless? Why?

Are chinky girls easy to fuck of you know mandarin?
My city is like 90% chink

I love how it sounds, it's like German + English

Türkçe hoş

Any girl is easy to fuck if your pickup game ain't shit and are willing to get constanly rejected.
Ergo, similar to anything in life, the Law of Serendipity rules, luck favors those who try.

s e s s o
d e
m a c a c o
u m a
e s p e r i e n z a

I'll post some resources so it doesn't simply mean I'm shitposting

Swedish:

Course of the Swedish Institute
learningswedish.se/courses/1

Dictionary
lexin.nada.kth.se/swe-eng.html

Pronunciation
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ScVxrdOTUYu_f7Se5VOS8BgEd2IVa0NejUAfK-DgMw4/edit#gid=0

malmo.stadsbibliotek.org/selfreg

Torrents with various books and audios. Some dude says he prefers Rivstart and M虱.
thepiratebay.vg/torrent/7610671/The_Ultimate_Swedish_Language_Learning_Pack_(9.9.2012)

Radio program in simple Swedish, also has transcriptions.
sverigesradio.se/sida/default.aspx?programid=493 - Radio program in simple Swedish, also has transcriptions.

News in simple swedish
8sidor.se

Childrens Book
childrenslibrary.org/icdl/SimpleSearchCategory?ids=&pnum=1&cnum=1&text=&lang=English&ilangcode=en&ilang=English&langid=315

Swedish Forum
flashback.org

Youtube Channel:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uGqWoFgvd1SBExRyHuuVxiLiU8u8-PN

Wanna learn Russian. Resources?

check the pastebin
you can ask if that doesnt help

pastebin.com/b3pPTxQZ
Always check the OP and the wiki before asking such questions.

I've seen it, but I wanted some feedback from Anons who chose one method or another.

>people who post useless / waste of time/ don't bother learning X in a language learning threads
should be bannable desu

Thanks m80

In my point of view, it all depends on your objectives.
If your focus is all around fluency in every aspect (speaking, reading, listening) you're better off using various types of methods.
If your focus is explicitly reading, the Translation & Grammar, Bilingual Audio - Reading and the Imitation methods are your best bet.
If your focus is speaking/listening, the imitation method and having a good tutor (either IRL or online) who are willing to correct you is a good option.

In the end, it all comes back to you.
Pick a language, learn it and stick with it through all the shit and golden parts.

Italian question:

So with a 'double verb construction' (eg Desideri prendere un gelato) the first verb is conjugated and the second is left as the infinitive.

Is this also the case for expressions involving avere?
ie would it be "Ho bisogno di studiare" or "Ho bisogno di studio"? (i think the first but im not sure)

And how far does this go? Is every verb in the sentence conjugated/left as infinitive?
eg would it be "Ho bisogno di studiare un paio di ore e poi passare al supermercato" or would passare be conjugated?

I'm not well versed with Italian grammar but I'll still chip in

Most Romance languages will have the main verb be altered in a way or another if an auxiliary (helping) verb precedes it. As you might know there's also certain verbs called semi-auxiliaries like the modal verbs and such who do a similar thing.

So in your case, if such an auxiliary precedes the main verb, it'll remain as an infitive.

When there's more than one verb, just transform the sentence into a question (Cosa ho bisogno di fare e passare?, which will become "Ho bisogno di studiare un paio di ore e poi passare al supermercato.") this'll show you if every verb relates to the auxiliary one.

If anyone's willing to correct my rant, please do.

How many of these graphs are there? I know there's one for French.

The Discord has most of them in their materials channel.