Is Steven Spielberg unironically the greatest director of our time?

Is Steven Spielberg unironically the greatest director of our time?

There's just so many films that he's directed/been involved in that will go down in history as some of the greatest films of all time.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wGwhMHNmPpA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Sup Forums contrarians will say no but yes of course he's easily in the top 5.

muh holocaust

yes

>Implying
>Implying he isn't already considered one of the greatest of all time
>Implying

James Cameron is better

Tough call. Sometimes the behind the scenes making of Cameron's movies are better or more interesting than the movie itself.
youtube.com/watch?v=wGwhMHNmPpA

I think that's Bertolucci.

James Cameron is gooder u seen the thing the first 1982 one that one good

Yes, he is.

He's a great director and the man along with George Lucas defined the term blockbuster.

But I hate calling him the best because I think the majority of his movies are just fun entertainment with a few exceptions (the ones that involve WW2).

I've never found myself challenged by a Spielberg movie. Perhaps the only exception being Munich which features something different from just Black and White sides, and that's far from his best movie.

I see what you're saying. Similar to James Cameron who exclusively works in mega scale spectacle filmmaking made to entertain the masses. Not saying that's a bad thing though.

Wait after he dies, it will be a bigger shit than saville case, except the morgue stuff.

He is good but sometimes he makes literal trash.

Bridge of spies was a challenge to stay awake

Of course it isn't. We need great popcorn flicks like we need great dramas and great kids movies.

And Spielberg is an amazing storyteller.

I just don't know if I'd call him the best because I don't end up thinking more about his movies after seeing them.

That's my personal mark for a great director, if I keep thinking about the movie long after seeing it. It's then latched onto me in a personal level.

And that really makes me biased towards the Coen Brothers and R-Rated movies in general, I'm not sure I'd call the Coens the greatest either but I think more about their movies than Spielberg's.

The issue is Speilberg only knows how to make films about the awe a child has in their eyes when they see something new. He's taken that archetype and done a lot with it, but it is really disillusioning when you realize basically every film he's ever made is some grown man saying "wow!" then chaos ensuing.

Mind you, I like Tarantino who only makes movies that are crazy violent: but at least the cause of his climax is better than cookie cutter Man v. X.

If you still think Speilberg is great I suggest watching some Kubrick or Berlin or Lean. More modern? try Nolan.

I just want to see a raptor movie in black and watch Jennifer Connelly ride it and then think back about what I saw for the rest of my life.

I don't know about that. You're mainly describing his most well known 80s blockbusters.

No. Martin Scorsese.
Name a bad Scorsese movie.

Cameron does some of the greatest commentary tracks of all time. Really informative on the production aspects of the film and effects, but the man has turned shit talking and backhanded compliments into an art. I can't reccomend them nearly enough.

Silence, The Wolf of Wall Street, Shutter Island, Hugo, Gangs of New York, Boxcar Bertha.

Commercially, technically, and culturally, no doubt. But artistically there are others I'd put ahead of him. But I was born in the early 80s, the man defined much of my childhood, so I can't talk too much shit really.

>but the man has turned shit talking and backhanded compliments into an art.

Oh I have no doubt. Cameron seems like such a miserable son of a bitch most of the time.

KEK

I've heard this before, is there any truth to it? Would be really disappointing

>Gangs of New York
>Bad

I like how you picked the one film most people consider bad from that list.

overrated director, oversized ego

His films always play out as rollocausters. JP is the worst example.

watching this now

>a miserable son of a bitch most of the time.
A control freak, and an ego maniacal autist, but considering the money he's made for the studios (hes been screwed out of a lot of money) I guess its justified.