Why do people get so upset about Rey in the force awakens?

Why do people get so upset about Rey in the force awakens?

Yeah, she's really good. Impossibly good.
Because she's incredibly force sensitive.
Let's not forget that Luke went from being a farmer who was good at flying to a jedi who could engage DARTH FUCKING VADER with almost no training.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=65As1V0vQDM
youtube.com/watch?v=YhrfhQbY0K8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Why?

Misogyny and double standards.

>Misogyny

Because TFA post-hype phase is suddenly no longer a phase and it turns into a scapegoat for fans to beat on relentlessly even though it's a well made film

How so?

The difference between Rey being able to do everything and other characters being able to do everything is they still struggle. Rey has next to 0 struggle in her entire story. She is too capable and her only weakness is her conviction to staying on Jakku.

Luke could do quite a bit, but they still had someone else be the pilot and engineers and fight the main bad guy and needed help to save the day. Rey does it all and doesn't need any help. I don't think she's a mary sue, I just think she's in a poorly written film.

Why are women perpetual victims?

Sounds about right

the problem with the character is that too much about her is left as a mystery in the film itself. it might be that she is a well-written and interesting character, or it could be that she is a poorly thought-out caricature who succeeds at everything without trying. we don't really know because it all depends on her history, which isn't explored at all in the film.

the problem is exacerbated by the fact that the force awakens is most satisfying when looked at independently, as its own film. the more you consider its place in the overall series, the more unsatisfying it becomes, since it's too much of a remake of a.n.h. and the state of the world it takes place in makes no sense after r.o.t.j. (where did the first order come from? why is it so powerful? where did snoke come from? why is the resistance not the republic and why is it so weak? etc.). so the film works against itself: it works best as a standalone, but its central character is least satisfying in a standalone

That's entirely the problem. Luke went from being a basic farmer. Rey basically skips all that shit, incredibly gifted in literally everything she does. And to be honest, I'd be fine with it if not for these two reasons.

- She can handle the millenium falcon, a notoriously finicky ship, while having never flown a ship.
- Because she salvages old spaceships wrecks, she suddenly knows how to jailbreak state-of-the-art systems.

Literally no one cares about the force awakens anymore. It was a mediocre flick that came out two years ago.

So what? We've had six movies of heroes learning to use the force. Do we really need to see that again?
She's the next step in force users.
And i think you're mistaking "no struggle" with success. Of course she gets help all the way through.
She's just the hero instead of the damsel.

Your feminist power-fantasy would've flopped if it wasn't riding on the coattails of a franchise created and popularized by men, I hope you're aware of that cunt

I agree about the first order being essentially the empire and the rebellion being back where it started making no sense.

But I don't have too much of a problem with rey being a mstery.
After all, why the fuck should luke be so goddamn special? Turns out he was darth vader's kid. Makes more sense after that, yeah?

Yes, we do need to see that again. That's the fucking point you retarded nu-male faggot.

Maybe. Maybe not.
You've no proof.
So really you're just talking out your ass

>almost no training
>trained by two of the greatest jedi ever and still got fucked up
>meanwhile maREY sue beats a sith with absolutely zero training
>never even met a jedi before

Why do we need to see that again?
Why do we need to see the same story over and over again?
Go on. Let's hear it

Luke got his shit pushed in by Vader with no training. After training with the oldest Jedi Master in the galaxy he was able to fight on even ground.

>Im a paid Disney shill and should die in a fire

>After all, why the fuck should luke be so goddamn special? Turns out he was darth vader's kid. Makes more sense after that, yeah?

that's my point though. we learn in the first film that luke was the son of a great jedi and he meets and is tutored by obi wan right away. there might well be a satisfying explanation for rey's abilities but there isn't one in the film itself. so, you can invent one or you can hope for one in the rest of the series, which means the film doesn't really stand on its own.

It took Luke 2 movies to get good with the lightsaber, it took Rey 2 seconds.
People want to relate to the main character and who could relate to being able to beat up a sith apprentice (who could freeze laser blasts) without any training just by realising the force was with you?
Luke had to train on Dagobah, had to have his hand chopped off until he was better than Vader (and he still wasn't stronger than Palpatine).
Luke was extremely good, but not unrealistically so.

Come on. Is there really anyone, looking deep into your souls, who thinks Rey awkwardly shouting "don't hold my hand" and "I bypassed the compressor" was anything but cringeworthy??

God, this movie sucked.

>that moment when Rey magically understood exactly how the force works and pulls the lightsaber towards her
>with more force than Kylo Ren

REALLY made me think.

Did you really need to space your posts like this?

lol what training did he get from obi wan? He fought a dorid with a blind fold and reached out with his feelings. OOOO so profound!

And she fights a sith, with great difficulty. sith who has previously been injured by a weapon that insta kills most victims and sends them flying backwards. Oh, and she's obviously channeling the dark sidec(just look at the technique) which increases power intensely

Yeah it would have flopped. But not because of a female hero, but because of a terribly poorly written hero.

Why should we expect it to stand on its own when we know it's going to be part one of three?

Luke was terrible at everything and no matter how hard he tried, he only ever succeeded when others helped him. Rey being good at stuff is fine, but something needs to be holding her back that she needs to overvome. It should have been a stubborn need to go back to jakku, but nope, Maz said no one was coming back, so Reys whole character tension disappeared.

was her power level over 9000?

Vader was clearly holding back, you stupid piece of shit. The whole point of their first fight was to show just how large the gap between them was.
Plus men are much stronger than women. I could probably fit my big, manly hands all the way around Rey's scrawny little woman neck and snap it with little effort on my part, and it would probably make a sound similar to when you step on a twig on the sidewalk. Then I'd watch the life quickly drain from her eyes as my penis swelled to an impressive 7.5 inches.

>7.5 inches
>impressive
>white bois

Yeah? How big are you, Tyrone?

maybe we shouldn't but i find it less satisfying than a self-contained film. i think a lot of people do, that's why people complain about it. there is also the other point i made: the film fits poorly into the rest of the series, so making it dependent on its place in the series is an unfortunate decision

tfw still haven't watched this shit movie.

tfw normalfags loved it at first but now they have mixed feelings about it. tfw it will be just as hated as episode I in a year.

11 inches of dark meat for yo girl.

>even though it's a well made film
>This is what cucks actually believe

Care to prove that, my dark friend?

being an ace pilot with like no training in the Millenium Falcon and being able to out-manuever trained First Order pilots with ease.

Omg I hate Rey but this is very funny. Freud loves the penis mention at the end. That was essential. Thank you.
btw you have a point

>Let's not forget that Luke went from being a farmer who was good at flying to a jedi who could engage DARTH FUCKING VADER with almost no training.

Luke didn't face Vader until the second movie. And he lost badly.

Even his contributions in the first movie against the death star came down to being the last person in position and letting the force take care of it.

Also I don't dislike Rey as much as I do her actor. She cannot fucking act.

She's got a good theme though. I'm a sucker for bells youtube.com/watch?v=65As1V0vQDM

Bruh you fucking gay

>Shit movie
>Haven't watched it

I already watched episode IV

It's only gay if I like it, and since you aren't white, I probably won't.

show yo girl

I don't think so. We know it's part of a series. You might as well say the same thing about the 7th harry potter film. That shit just doesn't stand alone

>with almost no training.

He had training from Yoda, one of the greatest Jedi in history

Besides, there's no reason whatsoever hwy she should be more force-sensitive than Kylo Ren.

> double spacing
Holy fuck rebbit can you just stop plz?

I asked you, first. If you can prove you do, in fact, have a member 11 inches in length, I will post an image of my girlfriend.

>>Why?
>Misogyny and double standards.

this thread, every fucking day

>boo hoo, Sup Forums doesnt root for my Mary Sue
>why cant people accept that I am using a movie character to forward my Narcissistic personality disorder
youtube.com/watch?v=YhrfhQbY0K8

Depends, can you stop being a sensitive little bitch who get's upset by spacing?

bruh you ain't got no girlfriend, ain't no girl hanging around with no micro dick white boi

you have to go back

So what if he was gay? Does that make your dick smaller or your camera broken? Dude

He has VERY little training from yoda. Basically he uses him as a backpack and fights vader in the force cave

Nah he's right. Return to reddit, you fucking cocksucker.

>Basically he uses him as a backpack and fights vader in the force cave

You don't really believe this, do you, this is just shitposting, right?

you have to stop being a little bitch...

>Oh, and she's obviously channeling the dark sidec(just look at the technique) which increases power intensely

Urrr I'm a stronk womyn raaaarrrr dark saiiiid

Nigger don't fool me

Did you read the OP? They get angry at a girl for doing the same thing they were happy with a boy for doing in the original movie.

Nice rebuttal, you dumb reddit faggot. Return to whence you came.

> reddit tier insult

>Because she's incredibly force sensitive
And Luke was, as well as Anakin.
Such a boring overdone trope. If she's the best there's no reason to root for her, she's going to win anyway.
"M-muh hidden potential because of muh mysterious lineage."
Finn is a million times more interesting.

>le reddit!
aww little bitches reacting like little bitches.
lol

How old are you, kid?

Luke was trained by Obi Wan,and then by Yoda, and then had a FULL YEAR of meditation and training, attuning himself to the force, and even then he was barely able to get the upper hand on his less Force sensitive mostly robotic father

Compare/contrast with Rey closing her eyes for a moment to get to the same point.

Welcome to star wars, genius.

>tfw it will be just as hated as episode I in a year.
That's probably why Disney loaded it with tons social justice issues, people literally have to love it, even if they know it secretly sucks deep down inside because we can't let those racist shitlords win!!!

lol classic.
Do you want to call me a newfag next?
Or was there another generic insult you had in mind?

Anakin had no special lineage, was just born special, lost almost every fight he was in, went insane and killed a bunch of kids, foreign dignitaries, and his own wife before being chopped to pieces and set on fire yet everyone still hates the prequels.

You dodged my question nicely. Let's see if you can do it again, kid.
How old are you?

she ugly

If you mean Luke fighting Vader in Empire, he straight up loses that fight. There was never a point they were evenly matched. Also, Vader holds back because he knows Luke is his son and doesn't want to kill him. He wants to show him how powerful the dark side is and tempt him over to his side and defeat the Emperor. By the time of Jedi, Luke had completed his training with Yoda and was far more capable fighter. He still wasn't overpowering Vader until he got fucking pissed and allowed his anger to take over to beat Vader into submission.

And how many times did vader get shot by a wookie bowcaster first?

Explain your sarcastic comment?
Am I supposed to expect from Star Wars to be unoriginal and reuse tropes because it's named Star Wars?
What are you on about?

LOL do you think you're debating here, halfwit? You're just trying to insult me by saying i'm young.
Now what, little bitch?

Because it makes for a more interesting story if the character has to learn and grow with their abilities. It's fucking boring when they just pick it up like and now is something as natural as breathing to them.

No one said it has to be the same story again. That's Disney's fault for making TFA beat for beat ANH.

If you don't like that trope then you don't like star wars, period. So who cares what you think?

>29
Why would you lie on an anonymous imageboard? I mean, for your sake, I really hope you're lying, because if you're any older than 12 you're mentally deficient.
Maybe that's why they kicked you out of reddit. Well, hate to break it to you, but we don't want you here, either.

That's some deep denial that they could've made something better right there.
Textbook definition of a fanboy.

>yur a liar and if yur not then yur SO immature!

lol god damn you're predictable.
But you started out your insults by calling me a redditor. As if being a user on Sup Forums or reddit is something anyone should care about.
Guess we know who the child is here lol

If you've finished making a fool of yourself...

if you say so

If nobody cares about it, why are you so ashamed of it? Because you should be? That's my guess.

Stop feeing our precious (You) to a litteral retard.

She also can just walk around a heavily guarded planet sized, multi planet killing star base and not get noticed at all and also know what panels will open up for her to sneak into. Did she read the script in advance or something? Hey what's that on the ground? Is that the script? Same can be said for Finn, Han and Chewie just walking around as well. At least in ANH they had to get some Storm trooper uniforms and pretend Chewie was a prisoner before walking around the Death Star.

funny how the only people on here who say having been on reddit doesn't matter are the people who have been on reddit
fuck off faggot

lol what? I point out that it's something no one cares about and you then accuse e of caring about it?

Was your next gambit "i know you are but what am i' ?

lol i'm done with you, kiddo.

honest to god i went to reddit for all ove 2 minutes, found the user interface unappealing and left.
But yeah, you little faggots who actually care about that shit are just adorable.

Don' t know if you're little kids or just pathetic adults with irrelevant loyalties.
Either way, you bore me

Kylo isn't a sith. Vader and Sheev were the last ones in the canon.

>canon

DUDE WIMMIN ARE STRONK LMAO

Well in all but name he is sith

Dude, wimmin has nothing to do with it

Rey is a Mary Sue. Everyone knows this. She could do everything just because she has a vagina and JJ Abrams is a Jew.

She can do everything because she is the most powerful force user since yoda.
Your focus on her gender speaks more to your biases than to the writer's

You should have stayed.

shh shh shh.
It's over, little one.
I've finished with you

>too busy watching BLACKED

Vader wasn't a Sith either. Vader was a fallen Jedi. You can only be a Sith if trained under the dark side from the start.

she outperforms established characters in the series with minimal effort. Luke was very dependent on his friends to aid him while Rey handles most everything on her own. Her journey from nobody to jedi master aka the chosen one etc (assuming that is her path in the movies) looks like it will be pretty boring if the next two movies are anything like TFA.