Wow. Now that's what you call a movie

Wow. Now that's what you call a movie.

i gotta SCIECNE da SHIT outta dis :DDDDDD

For all the hate this movie gets on Sup Forums, it's actually pretty decent. The storm is a plot device, and not realistic. Otherwise for the most part the movie does a decent job. Way better than most.

Anything that portrays spaceflight in a positive light to get normies interested is fine by me.

>being alright with eating your own shit potatoes
You're a German I presume.

Great post.

I found it lacking. Predictable and all the scenes on Earth were boring and full of unbelievable cliche characters.

It's pretty lacking in actual drama once Damon figures out how to contact Earth. After that it's a snoozefest until he's inevitably rescued.

They did as good of a job as you could expect. The book just doesn't translate to film well since it's 75% Mark monologing and describe technical stuff in extreme detail.

If you agree with this post you are what's wrong with/tv/

How the fuck is the storm what you have a problem with and not the conveniently placed crashed rover within driving distance that allows him to contact earth?

>conveniently placed

The rover had been used to scout out that area in the past and is part of why they used it as a landing site. Nothing "convenient" about it.

i gotta say my favorite part was when donald glover was trying to explain that shit to jeff daniels.

PPCHEWWWWWWWWWWWW KKKCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH VVRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM SSSSCHHKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

one of the best scenes of 2016 imho

>conveniently placed crashed rover within driving distance

You understand that was a real probe the USA sent up right? You aren't actually that retarded are you?

I love this movie, but yes I agree that was one of the dumbest fucking scenes in history

>some random dindu scientist explains to the head of nasa what a gravitational slingshot is

>He truly was, the Martian
what did they mean by this

>I NEED COFFEE

>insert young, quirky scientist to explain to the head of NASA how gravity works

WE'LL LOOK BACK FONDLY ON THESE MERELY SHITTY REDDIT MOVIES LIKE THE MARTIAN

IN TIME ANYTHING PRE GHOSTBUSTERS 2016 WILL BE SEEN AS A MASTERPIECE, HOLLYWOOD JUST KEEPS GETTING WORSE

Why did he need to explain to the head of NASA how a gravity assist works?

Because A) Your average movie goer probably doesn't and B) Just handing him a report to which the head of NASA just goes "Ok, that works" does not make for an entertaining movie.

It's done for the sake of the audience.

omg le science

Why did this random guy even come up with the trajectory? Did no one at NASA think of a gravity assist?

I liked it.

I liked the movie, but yeah, that was pretty goddamn stupid.

The gravity assist is really a very small part of the plan. The bulk of the plan was the exact path and more importantly the launch of the resupply rocket to meet them when they passed Earth.

It's just one of those things that didn't translate well from book to movie.

JESSICA CHASTAIN, KATE MARA AND KRISTIN WIIG, YEP, I'LL NEVER WATCH THIS FUCKING TRASH!!!FACT!!!

Biggest cinematic cringe in a long time

DUDE DEGRASSE TYSON TIER MEMERY LMAO

FUCK YOU NEIL ARMSTRONG

Two things really ruined it for me.

1) Drives around on Mars and finds a rocket (also fully fueled)

2) Poking a hole in his gloves gave him so much of thrust.

>1) Drives around on Mars and finds a rocket (also fully fueled)

This was well explained and made sense.

Yeah, Mars has rockets that look just like the rockets we make on Earth. Everything's also in English.

Dumb fuck.

>JESSICA CHASTAIN
LE STRONK WOMYN CAPTAIN SAVES THE DAY

>WE WUZ SPACE
BLACK SCIENCE MEN EXPLAINING BASIC SHIT WITH OFFICE SUPPLIES IS A MEME

>#whenthefirstdraftsneaksintothefinalcut

It was enjoyable for every reason BUT the tension, because there really was a lack of it. Like I can't say it is a poor movie, it's really good on a bunch of levels, they should have just tried harder to make you feel he was really in danger, everytime there was a problem the next scene showed him solving it.

The rover isn't even a big problem. The bigger problem would be that besides the fact that the station was damaged by the storm, it didn't have any redundant communications arrays.

Every school kid knows that NASA has like 3-4 redundant backups for just about everything mission-critical.

This is true and what makes it kind of odd. Like it's surprisingly optimistic and upbeat for a disaster drama movie.

Because he was explaining how it would apply to bringing Watney back, in the given situation. Still, yeah, gotta say the young science dude who 'figures it out' before anyone else was kind of silly.

They literally save him because of Glover, all the suits and scientists somehow didn't think of that before a 20 something who can't even clean his workspace

>watching flicks starring Matt Damon

forgettable, wont watch it again ever

They didn't think of it because it required scrapping a completely different mission and violating tons of procedures and security steps.

He's one of the most sought after actor in Hollywood right now, moron. Almost every movie he's been in has been successful.

MATT DAMON IS A FAGGOT

BUT ON THE JUNKET FOR THE MARTIAN HE MANSPLAINED SOME YASSSQUEEEN AND CAUSED A GOOD RUKUS WITH THE SJWS AND NUMALES

I've got to say, he is one of the few that can rock the man bun.

> vietnam fucking shit

what did le Martian man mean by this

When something is done for the sake of the audience you're making your movie wrong.

Quality filmmakers can write around this stuff.

In general I agree.

how many school children do you know, user?

I marathoned the first 20 minutes of this flick due to this thread. He said "I'm not going to die here" then I shut it off. Is there any point to watching further?

USING THE ONE BLACK TOKEN ACTOR TO DELIVER THE BASIC SCIENCE EXPOSITION THROWAWAY SCENE IS SUBTLY RACIST JUST FYI :^)

Maybe the two of you are just optimistic people. Because you could also look at it as: whenever something was solved a new problem unfolded - which is tense.

Haven't seen it in awhile though so idk

you think this was a mars made alien rocket ?
are you retarded
it was a nasa rocktet which was there in advance going to be used for a later mission
i hope you're baiting

How has no one mentioned that damons character is an insufferable cunt?

The whole point of going to Mars was to look for life. It's what we do in real life as well.