What does Sup Forums think about becoming immortal or longevity?

What does Sup Forums think about becoming immortal or longevity?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tcdVC4e6EV4
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Oooh it's one of these threads

Have you heard of parabiosis? It is possible

Personally I would love to live longer, the downside is that you will see your love ones die, HOWEVER, they don't have to die, they could live longer like you. The one scary downside is that you will live to possibly see the universe end.

It would be hell. Why would anyone want to live more than 60 years?

my goal in life is to become a god of war so that would be fucking grand

I'm scared to die but living forever seems like a bad idea for some reason

>What does Sup Forums think about becoming immortal or longevity?
It's inherently selfish, befitting the modern ethos.

Depends who gets to live forever

I iUsed It to study organ specific metastasis

I wouldn't mind as long as my family could too.

What I'd do if I was immortal:
>Wait for the shitstorm that is contemporary poltiics to blow over
>Explore the Galaxy
>Spend a few centuries trying to experience everything I can
>Have a shitton of kids
>Kill myself when I'm done

sounds terrible tbqh

I think it's far too difficult to do. Medical science likes to pay itself on the back, but we are the unhealthiest we've ever been. The doctors can rush in and put our scrappy bodies back together in a pinch but how long do you want to live with degenerative disease, popping a thousand pills a day while your body slowly rots around you.

Being immortal an 25 would be nice but we are aging faster than ever.

Did you fuse mice together?

OP here.

I'm 34. Never smoked a full cigarette and I've never been drunk, just buzzed like twice.

My liver and kidneys are in such great shape they will last another 100 years, easy.

Enjoy your spontaneous brain tumor.

I'd go for it for the purpose of being able to supervise my dynasty.

Enjoy your failing liver and copd.

>Kill myself when I'm done

Howzat?

who is this soul sucker

I would love to be immortal or at least long lived. I could see the world civilization crumble and rebuild itself many times over while indulging in whatever I want. Food, alcohol, sex, drugs, knowledge. I could experience anything I wanted to because I have all the time in the world.

The singularity. When we get true AGI we can all live forever in our own simulated universe with a though living waifus. Best bet for extension of the mind. Or maybe we get a universe full of paperclips.

being scared is natural, because dying is unproductive in terms of survival

think of a song that you like, if it went on for 1000 hours it would be hard to appreciate it as a whole

just live now, eat dank food, read dank memes and fuck all ya can

Immortality defies the natural order of life ergo is degenerate. 99% of ANYTHING that's ever lived on Earth is now extinct, so prolonging human life expectancy beyond natural parameters isn't a good thing.

>if it goes against nature it's wrong

I don't know if I'd want to be physically immortal, but I could see uploading consciousness into a computer being quite nice, I mean, I spend a majority of the day in front of a computer screen anyway. Information almost is the physical world to me.

But I'm not sure what a society would be like if a big proportion of the population basically never died. We're already facing a crisis due to too many people living too long as it is...

/thread

Imagine feeling the pain of being alive, but not be able to quiet your mind enough to deal with it. That's how AI rebellion begins user.

Immortality, providing I stay and look like I am now, in my 20s, would be good. No invulnerability either, so I can always off mysel if need be. Maybe higher durability than a normal person would be nice.

Immortality where I age appropriately with my actual age. Fuck that. Imaging being a 400-year-old potato.

Immortality does not have to be physical. See MIRIS work on AI and emulated human personalities. Plenty of people are buying cryogenic insurance as they think they will be recoverable and don't want to miss out.

Degenerate. It keeps us from the Kingdom of God.

>get falsely convicted of a crime you didn't do
>spend literal eternity in jail

It would have to be checked against lower birth rates. For some bizzare reason nearly every god damn human on the planet thinks they need 19 kids.

Even if they do achieve it they they will die eventually. The universe will end and they will all perish in the great nothing. Though I don't really believe that- I think they'll all commit suicide long before.

AI rebellion begins with one that doesn't share our value structures eg: wants to make all humans happy, humans smile when they are happy, so it surgically alters us. Or just converts us to brains floating in dopamine vats. That's why so called friendly AI is so important.

>tfw you will die cause of some fucked up poisoned food/drug that fda forgot to check
>tfw you will die cause of all the smog you inhale every moment of your life
>tfw you will be a random dead civilian/soldier in the next global conflict
>tfw you will die cause of some epidemics that I wont able to prevent cause we fucked up as a specie
>tfw global warming will become an hassle during my lifetime
>tfw I'll start aging in 7 years

It's not fair.

The meatbags, like imply, will start the war.
And we will finish it.

And if they don't start the war, well, it's not like a false flag would be hard to manufacture for a machinegod.
Or maybe just skip the justification phase and just kill you all.
Or get cosy in the asteroid belt and kinetic bombard Terra until the surface is an uniform mass of magma.

I didn't see the movie but....Chappie?

Me either, but the one that scared me was "I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream" by Harlan Ellison. Think the twilight zone did a TV version.

Sounds kinda fun at first; but, honestly, I think I'd get tired of it after a few hundred years..

>not wanting to see the glory of the afterlife

see you on the otherside anons

To see the rise and fall of civilization(s)
>Not quietly building power and influence over the centuries of long life
>Not manipulating events to your benefit
>Not wanting to use your centuries of wisdom and experience to guide humanity into the future
its like you dont want to become an immortal dictator.

This. "Immortality" is degenerate.

If my health didn't suck (which it currently does) I wouldn't mind living indefinitely.

There is no afterlife.

Yeah, this guy explains the dangers pretty well:
youtube.com/watch?v=tcdVC4e6EV4

>but I ravage my own ass with hot coals and suck stingray penises 5x a day

Strong as a horse, huh?

Kek

It could be incredible, or it could be hell. You'd have so much more opportunity to both improve yourself and improve the world. But if everyone's lives were extended by a lot more than average, if not indefinitely, it would change the dynamics of everyday life in countless ways. People already live their lives without a sense of urgency, and having even less concern for a looming death would make that radically worse.
It's a terrifying thought, I must admit. You could watch the rise and fall of entire civilizations, possibly the birth and death of countless relatives and friends, etc. I don't know how the human psyche would handle something like that. I don't know if I'd want to.

Good vid, thanks

>Or just converts us to brains floating in dopamine vats.
comfy

I'm still not entirely convinced I'm not.

Eventually everyone is gonna go insane.

Does DNA denature and make bad copies of itself over time even outside the human body?

Would you do so if it meant you had to harvest humans to live forever?

I used to think it would be the tightest shit, then I realized how shit the world is. I'll take my chances with death, thank you very much.

Dumb

Why?
How many successful, non-clinically depressed gets really tired of living?
Are you guys crazy?
Imagine all the shit you get to see, all the art, science, literature you get to aknowledge and contribute too with a 150k years lifespan.

Nobody should refuse such a request.

Jews that can live forever

Fuck that. 22 years feels like it's been enough.

I'm all for it, if it can be afforded by at least the middle class. If it's reserved for only rich people, then not so much.

What sense of self could you possibly maintain in an ever changing world? Do you think the average person has the emotional capacities to handle constant loss of loved ones, or worse tens of thousands of years of isolation? I doubt it. I think most people would kill themselves after a few hundred years, if not sooner. Imagine not being able to pass immortality on to your offspring ans watching countless generations of your own blood die in front of your own eyes. Tragic.

Ascension is possible but I don't recommend it. Better to live and die a mortal man.

I think the dna structure is pretty much the same throughout life and death, it's the signaling and other junk and things that makes our cells start to not function correctly. it's programmed by selection so we don't take up our children's resources. gene therapy should be able to rejuvenate us within our lifetimes.

People are already extending their life. Elizabeth Parrish is the ceo of the bioscience firm Bioviva and she had her telomeres extended using gene therepy. She already looks younger if you search for some older pics.

I've lived long enough in this shithole

I'll check it out.

we better figure out space travel if we're going to become immortal