/chess/ candidates 2018 - FABI'S YEAR edition

Yesterday restday. Last thread The most important tournament in the two-year cycle is ongoing, deciding who will win the right to challenge World Champion Magnus Carlsen for the title in November.

Today's games:
>Grischuk - Mamedyarov
>Kramnik - Ding Liren
>Karjakin - So
>Aronian - Caruana (HYPE)

Current standings:
>Caruana 4/6
>Mamedyarov 4/6
>Kramnik 3/6
>Grischuk 3/6
>Ding Liren 3/6
>So 2.5/6
>Aronian 2.5/6
>Carjackin' 2/6

Format is a double round Robin, so 14 rounds.

Attached: virginchadchess.png (2220x935, 428K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/9g6WeayDCUg?t=19m15s
youtube.com/watch?v=jW7EhOPkHBg
youtu.be/ctexQS3NKgQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Tell me who can stop this American hero? Go on, I will wait for your response. It is his year and you all know it.

Attached: Fabiano_Caruana_2013(2).jpg (1200x1600, 299K)

>Team Chess Championship
>Italy
>Caruana F
Good job America.

based fabiANO

He's an American now. Do you enjoy the Australian band Twelve Foot Ninja.

It's his turn

Attached: I'm with Fabi.png (1200x1600, 1.74M)

Honestly, Yasser and Eric give better chess commentary than Peter and Jan, but I still watch Peter and Jan
Good post

Attached: IMG_20180314_201242.jpg (2048x1152, 238K)

Where can you watch this?

He was born in Miami Florida

Does he even speak Italian?
Never heard him utter a word.

I can't give you the link because of the fucking spam filter, but Chess24 > watch > FIDE Berlin candidates with commentary from Jan and Peter or
twitch > chessbrah with commentary from Eric and Yasser

see chessbrah is better if you're more of a novice player
jan and peter if you are gud
worldchess dot com slash berlin has live feed of players, but the site is fucked

Attached: fischer.jpg (481x600, 78K)

I know he is American, I still find it funny that he played for Italy for a while.

>grischuk brought a pissjug to the last round
KEK

Attached: 1520523771689.png (715x535, 286K)

Cool, thanks.

youtu.be/9g6WeayDCUg?t=19m15s

Attached: mfw3.jpg (403x395, 19K)

Don't reply to this post unless you were in a chess club in grade school.

Attached: mass effect companion tiers.png (978x1472, 1003K)

Has there ever been an organization more incompetent than AGON?
>no working toilets
>spectators only allowed in 30 minutes late
>nothing to eat in a 3 mile radius since the venue is on the fucking outskirts of berlin
>players can't focus because the venue is noisy as fuck
>weird dungeon-like setup
>Polgar and Trent analyzing for 300 viewers because AGON can't get a stream working
>website still showed Giri, Carlsen and Topalov as participants at the start of the tournament
>chess software on official website doesn't understand en passant rule
I have seen local kids tournaments that were organized better.

Why is Aronian playing crap?

he always chokes at candidates

Haven't really watched chess since 2013, nice to see that Caruana has developed so much over the years. Does Anand still play? Has Aronian won anything of note?

Vishy is still going strong, last win was the rapid portion of the Tal Memerial, and he is the World Rapid Champion.
Aronian won the previous Tradewise Gibraltar and the World Cup.

My pick for World Chess Champion is Ray Gordon. (an underdog pick I know)

youtube.com/watch?v=jW7EhOPkHBg

Attached: raygordon.jpg (1280x720, 161K)

Vishy is consistently in the top 10-15. Unfortunately there are only 8 spots in the candidates. Him, MVL, Hikaru and maybe Giri are probably the most prominent absentees at this tournament. Although Giri played like shit for 2 years and just recently seems to have gotten his act together a bit.

Aronian would be one of the favorites if not for his well known propensity to choke at the candidates.

Why they won't they just bring back Candidate matches from Fischer's times? It would create more slots for good players who didn't make this tournament and also give that forgotten one-on-one flavour you only see in tiebreaks these days.

Fabi's got this on lock.

It's HIS YEAR!

yes la

Fischer himself was the one who spearheaded the chance of the format from the 8-player round robin to the 8-player knockout matches. After sitting out one of the cycles, Carlsen changed it back to a proper tournament.

Attached: Tangled.jpg (580x417, 240K)

There's already a 128 player knockout 1v1 tournament called the World Cup

Oh and let's not forget the time when Shak could see a TV from the playing hall on which Judit Polgar was analyzing his game.

What's the best chess client for someone who wants to start learning how to play chess?

why doesn't the champ just play somebody every weekend?

Is there a chess engine that explains why move X is the optimal move to a scrub like me?

probably chess.com
it has a lot of beginner users.
don't play games less than 10 minutes when you're still a beginner as you won't be able to think through moves properly
Youtube is your friend if you really don't know anything about chess though. Yasser Seirawan's lectures in particular
just put some thought into why the machine recommends a given move.

No. This is one of the reasons why you should avoid engines like the plague when you're learning chess until you have a solid grasp on the principles

Chess is NOT a sport!!!!!!!

Yes it is. The IOC recognizes it as such.

He does. He goes by the name DrDrunkenstein on LIChess

>Carjackin' 2/6
Why is this guy so shit now? He almost won the World Cup like a year ago.

Attached: magnus appropriate preparation for these candidates .jpg (1023x575, 98K)

anyone have the gif of him autistically flapping his hands and walking out of the press conference after he lost to karjakin at the world championship

>Comes and goes from press conferences and ceremonies when he feels like it, waving his arms in every direction

Attached: press conference.webm (1004x854, 474K)

kek thanks

>Giri

Attached: mg.png (582x218, 20K)

This guy is actually autistic. Like not in the "anti-social" buzzword autistic, but in the actual "can't read social situations" autistic.

not true, he has a hot gf

Maybe, but at least he's not Swedish.
They broke up not long ago, just before Carlsen started winning tournaments again.

Attached: DFh8U8FXcAEEIbL.jpg (640x632, 33K)

He's the world number one and rakes in tons of sponsorship money.

I think he read the Twitter situation quite well. Giri deserved to be put in his place for his pathetic attempts at """"banter"""" and his ridiculous obsession with Magnus.

Yeah his Twitter game certainly isn't GM level and he's weirdly obsessed with Magnus. Didn't he write a book about dethroning Magnus as world champion or something? Kind of disrespectful tbqh.

I think all the jokes after his 14 draws in the 2016 candidates actually got to him. After that he tried winning more games, even at the expense of playing accurately and he dropped from #3 to #15 or something.

literally me

He didn't. I think I get what he's going for, but he forgot to veil it with some humour or even a stupid emoticon. It's too crude like this.

he is an internationally famous national celebrity number 1 "sportsman" millionaire
all he needs to get a hot woman is to want it (heterosexuality shouldnt be assumed with autists, at least he doesnt seem to have any weird fetish)

Fabi is really impressing now.

why does chess attract so many weirdos?

Attached: fischer06.jpg (358x516, 54K)

Trying to figure it out does things to people.
Just look at what happened to Steinitz.

It's not weird to hate the Jews as much as Bobby did

That's different. His mental breakdown was rumored to be due to syphilis.

What I find interesting is the parallel between Fischer and Morphy. Both were ahead of their peers by a level not seen before or since (Fischer by 100+ rating points, Morphy iirc only played people with pawn or knight odds by the end of his career) and both kind of just grew bored with the game. Morphy just quit and Fischer went on to create 960.

Do you think 960 will ever really take off? I think current top players have too much invested in opening theory to ever give it a serious shot. Also it's harder to do if you're just a kid with a chess set. You kind of need some algorithm or at least an elaborate dice system to even decide the starting position.

960 does expose people too invested in opening theory.
If there was one person who I wished was around over 100 years later than they actually played, it would be Morphy.
Add what he already was with modern theory and he would be competitive against current top players.
He got bored with having literally no competition and wanting to do law instead, since chess back then really couldn't fund a person.
If he had a group of strong players unlike his time, he would only get stronger.

Because it's literally impossible to be a human computer (which is what is required to play at the highest level of chess) and be mentally sound your entire life. When your brain allows you to play many players at the same time blindfolded there is a price to pay.

fabi-wesley gonna be a bore draw

he won titles with Italy. he has dual citizenship so technically he is both italain and "usan", I don't know how the inhabitants of your shitty country are called

you don't seem to know what the inhabitants of your shitty country are called either.

does he speak italian

youtu.be/ctexQS3NKgQ

of course he does

leave carlsen and caruana to me

Attached: stockfish.jpg (130x65, 3K)

*blocks ur path*

Attached: 20882.20ada869.630x354o.00183319961b.jpg (630x354, 18K)

>played an older Stockfish without all of it's tools and access to less compute power
And out of the 1000 (or 1100?) actual games played AZ did lose some.
Optimal Stockfish 9 would almost always draw under the same time control.

>>Optimal Stockfish 9 would almost always draw under the same time control.
proof?

This is by Stockfish's developer:
"The match results by themselves are not particularly meaningful because of the rather strange choice of time controls and Stockfish parameter settings: The games were played at a fixed time of 1 minute/move, which means that Stockfish has no use of its time management heuristics (lot of effort has been put into making Stockfish identify critical points in the game and decide when to spend some extra time on a move; at a fixed time per move, the strength will suffer significantly). The version of Stockfish used is one year old, was playing with far more search threads than has ever received any significant amount of testing, and had way too small hash tables for the number of threads. I believe the percentage of draws would have been much higher in a match with more normal conditions."

"On the other hand, there is no doubt that AlphaZero could have played better if more work had been put into the project (although the "4 hours of learning" mentioned in the paper is highly misleading when you take into account the massive hardware resources used during those 4 hours). But in any case, Stockfish vs AlphaZero is very much a comparison of apples to orangutans. One is a conventional chess program running on ordinary computers, the other uses fundamentally different techniques and is running on custom designed hardware that is not available for purchase (and would be way out of the budget of ordinary users if it were)."

>old version
>no Tablebases
>no opening book
>crippled Hash Table
>crippled time management

A0 is much probably stronger even with fairer conditions, but the result would be much closer

And of course SF9 is a decent amount stronger than the version played in the game.

Looks like Ding Dong might break his drawing streak.
Aronian needs to basically play rapid for 10 moves.

>Aronian is one of my favorites to win the candidates
will /chess/ apologize?

Aronian won't learn that if he just tried to play naturally he would've probably won one by now.
Instead he is trying to find weaknesses in his opponent which just exposes his own flaws.

It's Ding's year

Are you titled?

>Ausfag
>getting titled without going overseas
Nah, just an average armchair critic.
I'm pretty good at understanding moves after the fact, but crap at actually finding decent moves before the fact.

this makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside

How nervous are you that this is Fabiano's year and there is NOTHING you can fucking do about it.

POOKed
O
O
K
e
d

YES HE CAN

Attached: fabiano_campaign_poster.png (549x917, 35K)

Good on Fabi for taking control of the tourney. Wish we had seen MVL here

We all do now.