Do you ever read the bible, Sup Forums Do you ever read and interpret verses and apply them to issues today ?

Do you ever read the bible, Sup Forums Do you ever read and interpret verses and apply them to issues today ?

>Psalm 94:16 Who will rise up for me against the evildoers? or who will stand up for me against the workers of iniquity?

Other urls found in this thread:

lumina.bible.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I like to do it at least a few paragraphs at a time for context. It's tough to interpret without like a study guide, or a background in scripture, or at least an internet and a lot of time to study.

That's my main barrier to entry. Lack of explicit scriptural reference is also one of my principle complaints about Roman Catholicism.

32 Your sons and daughters will be given to another people while you look on in vain all day, and you will be powerless to do anything about it.

33 As for the produce of your land and all your labor, a people you do not know will consume it, and you will be nothing but oppressed and crushed for the rest of your lives.

34 You will go insane from seeing all this.
(Deuteronomy 28:32-34)

I feel ya

Old testament is an odd place

I'll read a few pages a day and try to apply it to my life.

Do you have a Catholic Bible? There's usually a lot of in depth information besides the scripture itself. Almost like a "study guide." :)

>that was the old testamwnt
(The jewish side of the bible)

WAKE ME UP

I've never even seen a bible in real life.

I'm not religious but respect what Catholicism and Protestantism did for those who were suffering during the dark ages into the Renaissance and baroque periods. The hope that religious imagery and stories gave for a people whose leaders were corrupt and as humanity was stricken with disease and poverty. Whenever people say that religion did nothing but harm, I remind them that religion have people hope, and during a time then, and even now, all you can have is hope.

Can you name one in particular?

I asked for a few translations for Christmas one year, and wound up with a New Jerusalem, a NIV study bible, and one other. Stopped having as much time to read around then, so I never embarked on it. Since that time, I've become a big fan of KJV when I stop to look something up.

Is there something called a "Catholic Bible"?

That's true, sometimes all that was left for people was a supposed higher power and creator.

hey, check out lumina, the NET translator's notes and constable's notes on there are great.
lumina.bible.org/

Here, it's pretty common that if you're in a hotel then there's a Gideon bible in the nightstand. It's fun to flip through if you're stuck in the room waiting for something. There are also reading suggestions for different kinds of trouble you might be having in the front.

I have about 3 in my room, I'll send you one. :^)

Not only spiritually, but the Catholic Church is
the biggest (or one of them) charity organization in the world.

The Catholic Youth Bible (St. Mary's Press). I used it while in high school and it actually has everything you need to understand the passages on the bottom of the page.

That's David asking the question and the answer is God. That's not a call to arms you pope-worshipping faggot.

>That's David asking the question and the answer is God
and your point, my friend ? How can't this passage be used as a call of arms?

How do you think I became an atheist?

What particular parts made you question your faith?

years and years of watching pop-sci (((celebrities))) and comedians ridicule strawman interpretations of what christians actually believe, and having a dogmatic adherence to naturalism/empiricism/verificationism drilled into you through the public school system

Did you crack it open to the book of numbers only to find out that it really was basically a book full of numbers?

>the jews did this
>the jews actually did this

no it is pretty badly written, i have tried a number of times.
stop reporting kek threads or we will start reporting kikeonastick threads.

Hermeticism is where it is really at kids. I heard there is a christcuck version.

>badly written
which book of the bible?
which translation did you (pretend to) read?

I read the whole first testament when I was youg, decided not to finish since it was ridiculous, anyone can read excerpts, but once you read the context, it makes no sense, months after I told my parents I was an atheist, and chose to leave me alone on religious matters.
>Inb4 fedora

No.

The Jesus stuff is much better imo. One of the things the Roman Catholic Church did get right was picking out a bunch of good stories and readings and repeating them all the time so casuals like me could get the gist of it.

I'm ready for better, but that was my hook. Some of the Old Testament stuff is interesting, a good foundation, and valuable historical context, but I'd say you have your priorities messed up if you read the whole thing and decided being a Jew sucks.

I won´t deny the fact that the few excerpts told by the priests have great moral values, but these are stories with "divinity," if anything all I learned from being a Christian was moral values.

The furthest I've been in my life has been Spain, so I've never seen one in a public space. I have have, but I don't remember.

Do mark the chapters where the good stuff happens. I want to read about plagues and floods, not family trees.

Also, I've never really understood where the bible comes from. I know there was this council that decided what to put in it, but what makes it the word of God? They were just people. Jesus didn't personally compose it. Why would anything that didn't come straight out of Jesus' mouth be considered canon?

The bible encourages people to only do the right thing because there might be consequences. People should do the right thing because it is the right thing, not because if they don't something bad will happen to them. People should not do bad things because they are bad, not because they might be found out.

I spent most of my life thinking mainly it was just good advice and good morality.

But I went to a lot of modern song Masses, and a lot of the songs were centered around psalms. Apparently this one is supposed to come from 95, but the real lyrics of it come from back in the Old Testament. Anyway, part of the chorus always stuck with me:

>If today you hear his voice, harden not your heart

It took a long time until I got my ass kicked around a little, and I still have a hard heart, but I can't deny I heard his voice. So you never know. Keep an open mind at least.

the bible says
>If you love me, obey my commandments. (John 14:15)
not
>if i've scared you sufficiently, you better do what i say (retaliations 3:9)

whatever is in hotels

if you want to interest anons who are not athiests but see the value of religion and community

a new translation into the american dialect would help. doubly so without the cucking to rich people and jews in the kjv.

No, not only. It warns about what not to do and suggests a lot of good ideas about better things to do.

You're missing the point if you think it's a strict rule book. A lot of the good suggestions are really very helpful for a person who on his own doesn't want to be bad. It really just says that a wantonly evil person is going to be found out, which is true even if you're an atheist.

there are (way too) many good up to date english versions available, i personally prefer the NET.

the ones you're talking about are KJV, which is nice in its own way.
the 'thees' and 'thous' people whine about are actually really useful and informative once you understand what they mean:

thee thy thou = singular second person pronouns (addressing one person)
ye your you = plural second person pronouns (addressing multiple people)

ISN'T IT FUNNY

That an almost entirely gender-neutral language like English needs a whole new set of pronouns for 57 Heinz Varieties of gender while people don't even know how to use the existing pronouns in the first place?

This is my favorite. Read this verse every day and apply to all the bitches I fuck. I encourage all males to do the same. Thank you and God Bless.

>Let a woman learn quietly with all submissiveness. I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man; rather, she is to remain quiet.

-Timothy 2:11

Kek

I really would annihilate brunette Mary's asshole. What a hottie.