youtube.com/watch?v=UbQgXeY_zi4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Rosetta
Paris, Texas

Leaving Las Vegas

Oslo 31 August

>ywn cuddle in bed and talk about life with prime Scarjo

Bill you lucky motherfucker

Fuck off this isn't depressioncore, this is a shit movie aimed at 14 year old kids with a slight hint of existencial angst

It's a fucking insult to complex characters, emotions and the themes of lonliness and depression. Fuck this movie and fuck you

Melancholia

I wouldn't call Lost in Translation depressive? Mainly it's melancholic, I guess.

And for movies like that I'd suggest Kumiko and Miss Hokusai.

>m'lady

I have never seen the movie, can you tell me what you thought was so depressing about it.

Who are you quoting faggot
Why are you spouting literal reddit memes? Get the fuck out you absolute plebian
>ooh my boyfren only th7nk of work :(( sometime i just feel like empty like sad youknow? Idk how to desrcube it btw im a 10/10 girl leks go make cooky adventurrs with le bitter old man :) unexpected friendships are epic, epic for the win :) oo i wonder what he tell her in the end?? :o

understandable have a nice day

I guess it depends
I personally found it really sad
two people trapped in relationships they don't see a way of getting out of, and falling in love with eachother which is kinda inappropriate
sounds gay, but I liked it very much

Garden State

holy autism batman

>literally me

yup, you got it!

dont show off your virginity like that bro

Is this nigga real?

I don't know...
Hey nigga, are you real?

HEAD, NICE AND HOT

It's one of very few movies that makes my blood boil

Also fyi I've had sex once when I was twenty and tested negative for autism twice

Jarhead

This movie certainly made me want to kill myself after watching it.

youtube.com/watch?v=UbQgXeY_zi4

shakkabrah

Is it depressing because you feel like you just wasted a couple hours of your life and you'll never ever get it back? If that's what you mean, then yeah you nailed it.

Lost in Translation is bad, but anyone unironically using the term "depressioncore" is probably only depressed in the way that it's hip to say that you have OCD. in that way, that's exactly what the movie is. are you a boring mope with a vague sense of ennui? that means you're super cool and interesting!

Your definition about depression is really weird... but try out these. These are, againg, movies I'd call melacnholic: Nebraska. The Ice Storm, Logan, Children of Men, Winter's body... All moveis I've seem and like (to some extent) recently.

Also typing this high on Ambien. Fuck Captcha,aa

why is it bad? also, I called the movie depressive on an anonymous image board, let's not jump to conclusions about real depression

I just watched this today. I liked it.

The movie with goku? this was fucking awful.

lost in translation was so painfully boring it gave me depression. does that count?

>Hella depressing

Both really.

Did that ER guy like listened to The Shins for the first time and feel compelled to show the world how hip his music taste was?

Because that's about all I got from this movie.

this is post-depressioncore in a way, I guess. when you're all out of options and nothing exists but all encompassing rage and frustration.

>Hella

I hate that word.

This would be funnier if you weren't trying so hard.

the real answer

LLV is probably the best portrayal of depression/alcoholism i've ever seen. it's not charming, its not cool guy-brooding, and it's not in any way as fashionable as some sources make it seem to be. it's gross, embarrassing, and characterized mostly by excess. cage embodies the death drive in this film

i shouldn't have said bad. as pandering entertainment it was very well constructed

for instance, a lot of people have romantic ideas about Japan. Lost in Translation is a travelogue of every hipster's dream Japan experience. you've got your futuristic Japan, your wacky Japan, even your mystical Japan (that cringey temple scene). on that front it's very well shot, and was savvy enough to make the japenese themselves into the comic relief (we like the idea of japan, we don't actually like japs)

so it taps into that fantasy of tourism in a safe, utterly foreign land filled with silly little people. it's also very good at making its boring, personality-less characters seem super, super cool and dignified because they're mopey. they're empty vessels for you to project your own problems onto, which legitimizes them. it's the movie equivalent of listening to angsty hipster music that tells you that being bored and boring is the highest form of suffering.

it has no substance though, and the extent that it panders is pretty shameless. i'm genuinely embarrassed for people who say it's one of their favorite movies

I'm trying to better to understand film, so if anyone can explain what they liked or disliked about this film - if it accomplished what it set out to do, I'd greatly appreciate it. I think it fits the "depressioncore" vibe just right, and captures isolation and the struggles of overcoming one's own problems. Trying desperately to become the better person but feeling as if that no matter what, they'll never change (a Bojack Horseman-type theme).

my life

>Comparing a Kenny Lonergan film to Bojack Horseman
Christ, you fucking pleb. No wonder you don't "understand" it.

Synecdoche, New York
Taxi Driver
Mommy
Dear Zachary

Not comparing them, user. Just making an observation about their themes.

t. reddit/r/films

You should be embarrassed of yourself instead
These arguments are purely based on amateurish/ignorant self-comprehension.
Everything that isn't spoonfed to you flies over your head, doesn't it?

Inside Llewyn Davis

>Synecdoche, New York
I watched this recently on a recommendation and strongly endorse it. I'll probably rewatch it this weekend

The Chocolate War (1988)

Its just....bleak and grey...