What is the best lightsaber duel in the WHOLE franchise?

What is the best lightsaber duel in the WHOLE franchise?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Lf0qZLK8l-Y
youtube.com/watch?v=0UVJSJOiLk4
youtube.com/watch?v=QyYbvVAtlWk
youtube.com/watch?v=rgyitSlMtMY
youtube.com/watch?v=GueBXRYVhe0
youtube.com/watch?v=WIj7gIDFDe4
youtube.com/watch?v=B7FMh3YtK_w
youtube.com/watch?v=C-DeI3ohVbY
youtube.com/watch?v=buE_jLEZrf4
youtube.com/watch?v=IezQw6dJs4I
youtube.com/watch?v=40HhaIJ0QVw
youtube.com/watch?v=HMUKGTkiWik
youtube.com/watch?v=9WBY-C-VKTg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Obi vs Maul in Rebels.

I love that duel honestly

Luke vs Vader in Episode V was terrific. It strikes the right blend between being dramatic and feeling like an actual fight.

The duels at the end of Episodes I and III have great music, but they drag on for far too long.

>Obi vs Maul in Rebels
>best
There are really people that think this? That fight fucking sucked.

Not counting games or animated series, Obi Wan vs Anakin in the high grounds

Luke vs Vader in ESB, even after all the prequels, TFA, and cartoons.

Luke comes in, all sure of himself and confident. It isn't overly flashy. They pause and wait for the other to move. As it goes on, it becomes very obvious that Vader is just toying with him and Luke is way out of his league. Luke gets more and more aware and scared as it goes on. At one point, Vader stops even swinging his saber, and just force throws random shit at Luke. Then it ends with Luke losing his hand.

For all of the new guys' talk about trying to bring back the feel of the originals, TFA doesn't have any real moment like that.

This, plus Luke v Vader in ROTJ would be tied with ESB if it didn't keep cutting away to other shit, or if the other stuff didn't drag on so long.

I liked this scene

youtube.com/watch?v=Lf0qZLK8l-Y

>star wars
>best duel
its N/A because they are all pretty bad for different reasons

This desu senpai

It's definitely not the best in the franchise, but it was very far from being bad. It was like an old samurai duel, and a great dramatic ending to Maul.

It was at a point where Obi-Wan was at his greatest, and completely at peace with himself and the Force. Maul was a shell of his former self, and completely obsessed with what Obi-Wan represented to him. Maul wasn't even a concern to Obi-Wan anymore.

It's tragic, and very fitting.

The robot chicken sketch ruined this scene for me desu I can't not laugh when I watch it now.

It feels the most like a real struggle for life or death, Vader is legitimately creepy in it.

Was it kino, Sup Forums?

youtube.com/watch?v=0UVJSJOiLk4

Vader versus Luke in VI > Vader versus Luke in V > Obi Wan, Jinn(?) versus Maul in I (not even that good, but it was suprising to see a dual lightsaber) > Vader versus Obi Wan in IV > Luke versus the target ball in IV > Kilo versus black guy and Ray > All other shitquel duels

youtube.com/watch?v=QyYbvVAtlWk

Really an amazing duel.

I need it to watch that right now

The one I had once in the vs mode of the PS1 game.

they kinda slap their dicks together and then obi wan just lets himself get his head chopped off. it's not satisfying, and I understand they're old masters who have fought before, but that doesn't make it the best.

youtube.com/watch?v=rgyitSlMtMY
youtube.com/watch?v=GueBXRYVhe0

Not a Duel but good fight
youtube.com/watch?v=WIj7gIDFDe4
>inb4 "overpowered" Underpowered villains are shit

They should have just made a movie or tv series with these assets instead of that shitty game

t-thanks, Bioware...

it's th-thanks, say it out loud

youtube.com/watch?v=B7FMh3YtK_w

I still love Episode I's duel, it was the only great prequel duel and the soundtrack is phenomenal during it.

>Tell me... Is it the chosen one?
>He is...
>he will avenge us...
How is it possible to miss the point so hard that you do it with your dying breath?

Man their animation quality has really gotten nice over the years

>Luke v Vader in ROTJ would be tied with ESB if it didn't keep cutting away to other shit
this desu, the last bit of the fight is fucking great
also this, Luke is 30% confident and 70% shit scared

Jewcas Film would never allow it.

>struggle for life or death
>Vader is toying with him the entire time with the intention to capture him

The first time you see grievous in the original clone wars cartoon is probably the best along with the fight with ventress. But if we're just talking about the movies the one in ESB is the best.

literally kino
blur makes the best trailers
too bad the game isn't anywhere close to being like them

I mean, he already killed himself, what's to stop him from killing his hot son?

it's a struggle for life and death from Luke's point of view

Oh no doubt, as much as I shit on the prequels, the music and the "oh shit" moment of Maul with the double lightsaber were fucking great. It's actually a shame Lucas had Maul die instead of be the recurring threat for at least another movie (I know he lived in the cartoons, but movie-wise, he was dead).

well desu from my point of view the Jedi are evil

Criticizing the Ben v Vader duel is honestly unfair

That point of view was a good friend

Luke is struggling for his life in it and actually resorts to attempted suicide rather than falling to Vader's side.

Yeah it's a real shame, Maul could have been a god-tier villain if he were built up over several films. He felt like more of a threat than Dooku and Grievous.

I would have liked it better if Maul had "saved" his 2nd blade as a secret and used it to surprise-kill Qui Gon by tricking Qui Gon into thinking that he had an opening, like in Would have been much more dramatic desu

Just the Banter between Obi Wan and Vader, the old special FX, the slow pace I just think its cool

Blur is amazing, the Halo 2 anniversary cutscenes are art

from a certain point of view?

Obi Wan vs Anakin is too flashy, it feels too much like a dance and not enough like a fight

This, it's unique out of all the duels

Ahsoka vs Dad Father tops it.

And it was overshadowed by Palpatine vs Yoda. I'm saying this as someone that actually loved watching the Emperor toss around the Senate (the whole Senate!) around like a crazed sorcerer.

They should've cut out the yoda/emperor fight. The focus needed to be entirely on Anakin vs Obi-Wan, and it needed less flash and hopping around on CGI robots. Obi-Wan yelling how Anakin was his brother and shit was the sort of raw emotion we needed to see in the fight.

I hope Ewan gets his Obi-Wan movie.

But he did, he lead to killing Palpatine, which was Mauls second target next to obi wan.

>I hope Ewan gets his Obi-Wan movie.
He's universally considered the best part of the prequels so it's not too far fetched and I hope it happens.

Yeah there was no real point in having Yoda try to tackle the Emperor, he had already won and the real threat to the safety of the Jedi was Anakin since he could succeed Palpatine in the future.

The first 30 seconds of the Anakin/Obi Wan fight were amazing, but as soon as they walked through the tunnel and started fighting in the room with all the dead guys, it got really stupid.

If I were in charge of choreographing that fight, they would have kept that blistering flurry of moves at the start, but after they realized that they couldn't land a hit, it would have slowed down to a mindgames standoff like the Obi Wan/Maul rebels fight or even the Obi Wan/Vader fight for that extra pottery, and the whole thing would have ended with Obi Wan slicing off Anakin's limbs and knocking him off the landing platform into the lava below. But it's late and I'm very tired so maybe this is all extra retarded and I should just leave it to George.

Sounds like it could be cool the prequels went to far with the crazy acrobatics. Plus trips make this a good post.

So did she die or what?
I haven't watched the show at all.

Her VA confirmed that she's still alive accidentally in an interview in the celebration last month

Does anyone here remember the respect you had for Vader vanish instantly when you first played him as a character in a video game (Battlefront 2 for me)? Vader was this mature, silently powerful force of evil, then suddenly he was jumping around like a fucking monkey and shit under your control, dying to regular stormtroopers... completely ruined the atmosphere

That actually does sound pretty awesome. Would've been a great "in-between" for the type of fighting you saw in the prequels to what we saw in the original trilogy.

Anakin should have had his limbs cut off when he and Obi-wan were fighting on that little hovering vehicle instead of that high ground shit right afterwards.

friendly fact that they gave Rey a bo staff specifically so that when she goes dark they can give her a badass dual lightsaber and sell tons of merchandise

>revenge is not the jedi way

I didn't expect that.
That's the part where she should have teared up, because it hit me right in the fucking gut. Great irony.

>Rey
>going dark

>dual lightsaber
that's when you wield two at once. Darth Maul and your pic related have a lightstaff

See

>Rey
>Blacked

But Rey gets with Kylo Ren

Slut

it's already canon that she went dark in the fight against kylo which is why she won.

in the books, she's not having force flashbacks. those "flashbacks" are specifically snoke talking to her and trying to manipulate her.

Anakin vs Asaj Ventress in the Tartakovsky clone wars

>Rey channeled the Dark Side to win
If that were true, why did the heroic Force theme play when she did it?

Rots vader vs obi

because it's a shitty movie

Going to the dark side is very different for a woman. She needs the BBC, and Kylo needs to watch as it happens (increase his anger and dark side power).

They already did the throwback movie, and now they're just going to get really weird with it.

>Anakin loses the mindgames standoff and gets SABER'd
>Obi Wan does his speech about Anakin being the chosen one as Anakin writhes in pain on the landing pad
>But he underestimates the power of the Dark Side
>Anakin isn't out of the fight yet, and as Obi Wan readies the finishing blow, Anakin blasts him with a massive Force shockwave with his one remaining mechanical limb
>the shockwave blasts Obi Wan to the edge of the landing pad, but he manages to put up enough resistance to stop himself from falling
>Anakin's eyes turn yellow as he ups the pressure of his Force push, screaming I HATE YOU
>the last move of the duel is Obi Wan overwhelming Anakin's power with his own, sending him flying off the edge as he gives his "You were my brother, Anakin" line
I'm honestly just rambling at this point but I'm fairly confident that this is 100% certified poetry in action. I should go to bed

This. V > all else, and don't anyone ever forget it.

A young, plucky Luke THWIPS out his saber all ready to go, much too fast. Vader all PssHHAAWWW.... slow-like and casual, draws his sword, far more confident.

This.
Here you go, folks:
youtube.com/watch?v=C-DeI3ohVbY

>You have learned much, young Skywalker... But you are nit a Jedi yet!

>mfw the lights flip on and Vader's breathing echoes in the room
I just realized the biggest problem I have with the prequels and sequels is that they don't know how to build up a duel nor how to make it seem like anything is really at stake.

assuming that you aren't lying, they LITERALLY could not have made that less clear

It would have been best if they didn't show it in the trailer, and the first time you saw a double-bladed lightsaber was when Maul showed up in the Naboo hangar.
People, myself included, would have shit themselves

Just playing devil's advocate here, but remember that:

1. Anakin and Obi-Wan had been sparring with one another for literally 10+ years, so they knew each other's moves instinctively
2. They both have magic precognition.

I know the fight looked silly at times, but in that context it does make a little bit of sense. Each of them knows exactly what the other is going to do.

> it would have slowed down to a mindgames standoff like the Obi Wan/Maul rebels fight or even the Obi Wan/Vader fight for that extra pottery

It would have, if Anakin's character hadn't been previously established as an impulsive aggressive idiot. Anakin was not the type to engage in a standoff, every fight we had seen him in up to this point involved him recklessly charging at his enemy until they were dead or he was missing a limb.

Better directors and cinematography are what really separates the OT from the prequels and sequels. My favorite part about that duel is watching Vader toy with Luke in the beginning and how he is holding his light saber with one hand vs Luke holding his with both hand and still being weaker than Vader.

>It would have been best if they didn't show it in the trailer, and the first time you saw a double-bladed lightsaber was when Maul showed up in the Naboo hangar.

Maybe this is part of the reason why the movie had a much bigger impact on young kids? A lot of us hadn't seen the trailer, and Maul with the double lightsaber was a genuine "oh shit" moment.

But then again, I was fucking 5 (saw it on dvd in 2001).

We don't CARE about the characters, we know about the inevitable coming up. I'll concede they can be entertaining, but there's no actual satisfaction that you want to talk about. We all know Anakin becomes Darth Vader and it's almost boring to find out why, (a woman, hurr durr)

We want either our characters who we love already for their actions (Han, Chewie), or we want new characters (Rey, traitor? is that his name?) doing new cool things. What we're getting is new characters doing old cool things.
I compare it to Smash Bros Melee, very briefly. Everybody enjoyed smash bros Melee. Casual faggots enjoyed smash. The ones who took the time to love it got something more out of it, and enjoyed it so much more than the casuals did. This isn't bad, It's how most fan bases work.

>Luke at 1:12
>"I'll try spinning, that's a good trick"

The precognizance makes the endless chain of blocked moves look more silly, not less. Why waste energy doing all those acrobatics if you can look into the future and know for a fact that they won't work? A fight between two genuine precogs looks something like

youtube.com/watch?v=buE_jLEZrf4

Not exactly fair. There are two duels in the prequels that had a good buildup.

>Episode 1 final duel
youtube.com/watch?v=IezQw6dJs4I

Although a lot of the buildup came from earlier scenes.

>Episode 3 final duel
youtube.com/watch?v=40HhaIJ0QVw

But in general, I think you're right. The fights in the prequels and sequels overwhelmingly feel like they came out of nowhere, with nothing even approaching any sort of meaning for the characters. As much as we laugh at the cheesy dialogue in the Episode 3 duel, at least we had 2 and a half movies of Anakin and Obi-Wan knowing one another, being on the same side, being friends....and if you were a child when the prequels were coming out, we had the whole Clone Wars series.

But the other duels? Awful, random filler. They remind me of the Giant Chicken fights in Family Guy.

>truly actually unironically enjoying anything from robert downey jr
i should call you downey jr for being so mentally disabled

Those are just two smart men, not precogs. Completely different situation. Don't fall for the "genius is literally magic you guys!" shit that so many movies try to pull.

Off-topic, but does anybody find it funny that Robert Downey Jr has a better British accent for just two movies than Johnny Depp does when Depp has been trying to fake a British accent for like 15 years?

The ESB fight is a good example of a protagonist in legitimate life threatening danger. The other fights are fairly predictable or just SFX demos.

>"The Force is strong with you, young Skywalker. But you're not a Jedi yet."
Always chills.

Luke tries to do some breakdance sword shit and Vader just disarms him. You can hear him thinking "Come on, man."

>implying that it makes a difference
But what you're trying to say is that Obi Wan and Anakin would be able to do that scene even MORE accurately than in linked scene, thus making it even sillier that they'd actually waste time and energy doing moves that are 100% guaranteed to fail or result in a bad end?

only smart opinion itt

best duels are ep 1 and ep 3

anything else is just trying to look cool and hate on the prequels

it's not 2004 anymore folks

Maul vs Pre Vizsla from TCW

That's a good villain-announcement, but I was just thinking of "luminous beings are we, not this crude matter" just the other day. That's a fucking good line, and this stupid little puppet delivers it so convincingly. He's trying to tell the hero to align his chakras, chill out with the universe, expand his mind etc and the hero is frustrated and even petulant (you can especially hear it in Luke's voice just after). Welp, here we go.

Not some technical shit, not some over-wrought stuff. Just make this character work, and make it be the old wise man, with occasional (earlier) comic effect. Develop the mytheme. That's all.

youtube.com/watch?v=HMUKGTkiWik

desu the fight in Ep I looks really stiff upon rewatching, they weren't able to nail down a solid way to work in both of Maul's saber blades and it actually looks pretty awkward once the "wow" factor dies down

Most of the duels in this are great
youtube.com/watch?v=9WBY-C-VKTg

Absolute kino

>Being this retarded

Maul has a double-bladed lightsaber not a fucking lightstaff

Honestly, if you want to see how two Jedi masters really go at it, just look at the fight in Episode IV. Using the fight in Episode III, imagine if both are thinking "We're not doing that shit again. It was pointless."